PDA

View Full Version : Picture Opening Software ******-*******s...

Rogue
6/12/2006, 08:41 PM
Wifey downloaded Corel Photo Album (or it came on the new comp) and it is, for some reason, the default picture opener on our computer. I have some better software and want to be rid of Corel forever. What's a guy gotta do? Windows XP Home if it makes a difference.

Needless to day, there's some spek in the offing here.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 08:50 PM
Well, just to get your pictures to open with something else.
Open My Computer or explorer.
Find a picture file (any file) and right click on it.
Go to properties.
There will be an "open with" section - there should also be a button to "change".
Pick your program - you may have to browse to find it.

This will change the default program that opens that type of file. (ie .jpg)

Hope this helps.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 08:53 PM
Oh - and of course if you want to get rid of Corel:

Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs

OCUDad
6/12/2006, 08:59 PM
Turk's method works well, and if you only have a couple of different file extensions, it's quick. I'm not a super-expert on Corel, but I would bet there's a way to select just which types of files (.jpg, .gif., .bmp, etc.) you want it to open in the program's Preferences or Options. You should be able to de-select your most common file extensions that way.

On the other hand, if you really want to be rid of it "forever," just uninstall Corel through the control panel's "Add/Remove Programs" feature (Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs). XP will default to Microsoft Picture/Fax Viewer. You'll gain some disk space and discard an app you don't want to use.

And if you have a favorite picture/photo application, you can also go into that app's Preferences or Options and select which types of files you want it to open.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Rogue
6/12/2006, 09:07 PM
Oh - and of course if you want to get rid of Corel:

Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs

Did the trick, thanks.