PDA

View Full Version : For all those criticizing the World Cup

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 06:55 PM
No US servicemen have killed anyone or been killed (so far).

GDC
6/12/2006, 06:59 PM
I just seriously don't get it. I used to watch some English Premier league while I rode my elliptical, and tried to force myself to understand and appreciate it, but it didn't stick.

Stanley1
6/12/2006, 07:02 PM
Soccer sucks, it is THAT simple.

85Sooner
6/12/2006, 07:07 PM
We can't even score one goal?????????? It was men against boys ou there today. I hope for a better showing next time.

BeetDigger
6/12/2006, 07:09 PM
I thought a World Cup was something the international players in major league baseball wear to protect the family jewels.

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 08:54 PM
Soccer is for countries who can't afford sports equipment. All they need is a patch of dirt and a round object and they are all set.

The "Big Three" (football, baseball and basketball) require a bit more. They are therefore clearly superior and more worthy of American effort.;)

critical_phil
6/12/2006, 09:00 PM
I just seriously don't get it.

think of it as a giant game of keep-away played on a 100 meter field.

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 09:01 PM
think of it as a giant game of keep-away played on a 100 meter field.

with cute colored cards and little pennants the officials wave around.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 09:07 PM
Soccer sucks, it is THAT simple.
Well, I didn't really expect much from a soccer thread on the SO! :D

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 09:09 PM
:mad:
Homey, I am so disappointed that you don't get it.

It wasn't a good game today. But soccer is very interesting to watch.
Think it is so easy? go grab a ball and see what you can do with it.

Vaevictis
6/12/2006, 09:12 PM

Heh, well, as a soccer fan, you should recall that (american) football is what (eventually) happens when a bunch of gorilla-thugs pick up the ball and run with it. (Rugby being the thing that immediately happens)

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 09:13 PM
:mad:
Homey, I am so disappointed that you don't get it.

It wasn't a good game today. But soccer is very interesting to watch.

Soccer watching: Is the game on? Yep! Fine, wake me up if someone scores a goal. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

heck, thats why people get wasted and riot at soccer matches. THEY"RE BORED SHIITELESS!

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 09:14 PM
Heh, well, as a soccer fan, you should recall that (american) football is what (eventually) happens when a bunch of gorilla-thugs pick up the ball and run with it. (Rugby being the thing that immediately happens)

and soccer is what happens when a bunch of fags kick a ball around. ;)

j/k soccer peeps.

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 09:24 PM
At least in NASCAR there is always the prospect of a firey crash and assorted mayhem in turn two to ease the mental numbness incited by watching.

See, I'm an equal opportunity "artificial sport" hata.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 09:26 PM
One thing that I can appreciate (aside from no stopping for commercials and ads on the field being stictly banned by international regs) is the total simplicity of the game. I mean, you can probably put all the rules of soccer on 10 pages. How many pages is the NCAA rulebook for football? Wait, I looked it up: 231 pages.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 09:26 PM
At least in NASCAR there is always the prospect of a firey crash and assorted mayhem in turn two to ease the mental numbness incited by watching.

See, I'm an equal opportunity "artificial sport" hata.

you go from green spek to red spek, all in one thread. :D

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 09:28 PM
One thing that I can appreciate (aside from no stopping for commercials and ads on the field being stictly banned by international regs) is the total simplicity of the game. I mean, you can probably put all the rules of soccer on 10 pages. How many pages is the NCAA rulebook for football? Wait, I looked it up: 231 pages.

I see your point, but the NCAA soccer rulebook is 94 pages. The NCAA can overcomplicate anything.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 09:29 PM
If you don't understand the game, then don't bash it. If you do, then bash away. I just hate the ignorance when it comes to the sport.

Vaevictis
6/12/2006, 09:29 PM
and soccer is what happens when a bunch of fags kick a ball around. ;)

Nothing I haven't heard before. Although the last time I heard it, I at least got the pleasure of kicking the ball into the face of the person who said it. :)

(dude would have sooooo kicked my *** if it hadn't dropped him like a sack of potatos.)

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 09:32 PM
If you don't understand the game, then don't bash it. If you do, then bash away. I just hate the ignorance when it comes to the sport.

What's to understand? Just a bunch of skinny fellers skipping around a field bouncing balls off their appendages for an hour or three. Or sometimes girls too. ;)

Serious Question: Are the girls rules the same as the boys rules?

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 09:35 PM
What's to understand? Just a bunch of skinny fellers skipping around a field bouncing balls off their appendages for an hour or three. Or sometimes girls too. ;)

I've always liked you, homey, but I will destroy you if I have to. :mad: :D

Yes, the girls rules are the same. At least they were when I quit playing about 5 years ago.

Vaevictis
6/12/2006, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty sure they are.

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 09:38 PM
I've always liked you, homey, but I will destroy you if I have to. :mad: :D

Yes, the girls rules are the same. At least they were when I quit playing about 5 years ago.

Hmmm. Same rules. Interesting.

Bwaaahaaahaaa.:D

Stanley1
6/12/2006, 09:39 PM
Ping-pong is more of a sport than soccer.

nanimonai
6/12/2006, 09:42 PM
Basically to sum it up:

Anything the US sucks at isn't a real sport anyways. ;)

GDC
6/12/2006, 09:43 PM
I'd rather watch volleyball.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 09:45 PM
Ping-pong is more of a sport than soccer.

Yeah, but you're Stanley1, so anything you have to say doesn't really matter anyway. :D

Stanley1
6/12/2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, but you're Stanley1, so anything you have to say doesn't really matter anyway. :D

I matter to your mom. ;)

Vaevictis
6/12/2006, 09:48 PM
Hmmm. Same rules. Interesting.

Bwaaahaaahaaa.:D

Div IA football has the same rules for boys and girls. :)

(as evidence, I cite the female Colorado kicker, who played under the same rules as the boys)

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 09:49 PM
I matter to yermom. ;)

Be careful. You might upset the :dolemite:.

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 10:54 PM

Yes, the basic rules are the same for males and females, though leagues may change the rules for different age groups. Usually for safety as the younger kids tend to be less coorinated and more prone to injury.

Homey, once again you have missed the point of the game. The emphasis is on ball control, contact is incidental. There are set plays, the beauty of the perfect pass. Positioning to break up a pass or the moves in taking the ball away. And the shots on goal - whether a beautiful save or that perfect shot. It is a game that requires the players to think ahead several plays, for both offense and defense.
Most soccer players also would do very well at track - middle and long distances. My daughter ran several miles every day, in addition to games. Life-long habit, I hope, as for now she still runs daily.

I feel sorry for those of you who are missing out on a great sport. For those of you in the Norman area, you should attend a couple of the OU girl's soccer games. The field is next to Lloyd Noble. There are people there that would be happy to explain the game to you as it goes on - kinda like a football game for a n00b.

critical_phil
6/12/2006, 10:59 PM
i never thought of it like that....you know.....like a giant game of keep-away played on a 100 meter field....

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 11:00 PM
i never thought of it like that....you know.....like a giant game of keep-away played on a 100 meter field....

Yeah, it's called American Football. ;)

critical_phil
6/12/2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, it's called American Football. ;)

to recap.....

american football:

offense: advance the football toward the goal
defense: prevent the offense from advancing the football

soccer:

offense: play keep away from the other team
defense: attempt to take away ball. then play keep away from the other team

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 11:08 PM
to recap.....

american football:

offense: advance the football toward the goal
defense: prevent the offense from advancing the football

soccer:

offense: play keep away from the other team
defense: attempt to take away ball. then play keep away from the other team

:D

Ahh...I'll just assume you're joking so I don't have to get into it. But if you're serious, then you're dead wrong.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 11:08 PM
I think the difference is more along these lines:

American football: HULK SMASH!

Soccer: Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

See? Finesse vs. brute force. ;)

critical_phil
6/12/2006, 11:18 PM
listen, i admit to not understanding the nuances of the game. of course, i've been told i haven't heard the right frank zappa album yet too.

soccer is not an american sport yet, however, making fun of soccer still is.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 11:20 PM
listen, i admit to not understanding the nuances of the game.

That's really all you had to say.

critical_phil
6/12/2006, 11:24 PM
i also admit to not understanding the nuances of needlepoint.

hurricane'bone
6/12/2006, 11:26 PM
I think the difference is more along these lines:

American football: HULK SMASH!

Soccer: Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. Unless you touch me and then I'm going to fall on the ground and be in tremendous pain until the stretcher carries me off the field and then I'll get up and run around. Manu Ginobili is my cousin.

See? Finesse vs. brute force. ;)

fixed.

Stanley1
6/12/2006, 11:46 PM
That's really all you had to say.

Don't need to understand the nuances to know I don't like something.

I find it funny that SO MANY people hate defensive dominated baseball, football, and basketball games. A shootout in soccer is still a heck of alot less entertaining then defensive games in the 3 above mentioned sports.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 11:48 PM
Don't need to understand the nuances to know I don't like something.

I find it funny that SO MANY people hate defensive dominated baseball, football, and basketball games, yet like soccer. A shootout in soccer is still a heck of alot less entertaining then defensive games in the 3 above mentioned sports.

Never said you had to like it. Just don't say ignorant stuff about it.

The second paragraph is opinion so I won't respond since mine is different.

BeetDigger
6/13/2006, 09:36 AM
LOL at Hurricane's post.

Can someone explain that to me: why do soccer players, when they get knocked down, writhe in appparent pain? I suppose they could be hurt, but in so many instances, it looks like they just got taken down and could pop right back up. My three year old falls harder than that and pops back up. Is there some merit to the theatrics?

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2006, 10:11 AM
I'd assume to draw a yellow card or a foul.

But I never played soccer. So I'll defer to those that have.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 10:14 AM
yeah generally they are trying to draw a card on the opponent. In terms of diving, I'd rate Italy the worst with Mexico a close second. Some other things to keep in mind when some of them are laying on the ground like that is I'd say half of them are most likely legitimate injuries..(ie..head to head collision, landing at a bad angle and spraining or hyperextending your knee...and because they don't get chances very often to get water, cramps are a very serious situation with players, especially in this World Cup.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 10:15 AM
Is there some merit to the theatrics?

Gay people like theatre, and since most soccer players are gay, well.....you have your answer.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 10:17 AM
Gay people like theatre, and since most soccer players are gay, well.....you have your answer.

says the guy who 'technically' plays a girl's sport as a 'recreation activity' ;)

Red October
6/13/2006, 10:19 AM
Stanley, go jerk of to some nascar or something. :D

picasso
6/13/2006, 10:20 AM
funnest sport I played growing up.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 10:20 AM
Stanley, go jerk of to some nascar or something. :D

Yea, cause Stanley1 loves him some NASCAR. :rolleyes:

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 10:21 AM
says the guy who 'technically' plays a girl's sport as a 'recreation activity' ;)

heh :O

toast
6/13/2006, 10:23 AM
I'd rather watch women's pro beach volleyball.

Agreed.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 10:26 AM
Agreed.

yes but gdc would also watch the boredom that is college roman greco wrestling.

Vaevictis
6/13/2006, 10:31 AM
I'd assume to draw a yellow card or a foul.

Yeah, remember peeps, getting carded in soccer is serious business.

If you get one red card, or two yellow cards, you're out of the game, and more importantly, nobody gets to replace you so your team is down a man for the rest of the game.

Hamhock
6/13/2006, 10:33 AM
No US servicemen have killed anyone or been killed (so far).

Do the innocent civilians who have died from boredom mean NOTHING TO YOU!!!!

TheBobbyTrain
6/13/2006, 10:35 AM
LOL at Hurricane's post.

Can someone explain that to me: why do soccer players, when they get knocked down, writhe in appparent pain? I suppose they could be hurt, but in so many instances, it looks like they just got taken down and could pop right back up. My three year old falls harder than that and pops back up. Is there some merit to the theatrics?

that's why the US soccer team's roster should have some of the baddest NFL defensive backs and maybe a couple of linebackers so that these players wont have to fake the pain. The goalie should be Tommie Harris - big and fast and if anyone dared think about scoring on him they would get piledriven and spend about 5 minutes digging their face out of the ground.

hurricane'bone
6/13/2006, 10:39 AM
that's why the US soccer team's roster should have some of the baddest NFL defensive backs and maybe a couple of linebackers so that these players wont have to fake the pain. The goalie should be Tommie Harris - big and fast and if anyone dared think about scoring on him they would get piledriven and spend about 5 minutes digging their face out of the ground.

two words...

Terry. Tate

two more words....

Pain. Train.

two more words....

Whooo! Whooo!

BeetDigger
6/13/2006, 11:00 AM
I was just chastised on the other forum for asking why soccer isn't more popular over here. Before my daughter started playing the game, I thought that about 50% of the people that I ran into who were into soccer were total dicks. Now, given my exposure to it both in coaching and on this board, I think that number may be closer to 75%. I won't wish for the US to lose, but if they do, I sure hope that ESPN goes back to devoting their typical .005% of total airtime to the sport.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 11:13 AM
eh I thought that tirade was more directed toward gdc and tripleoption's comments than anything.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2006, 11:18 AM
eh I thought that tirade was more directed toward gdc and tripleoption's comments than anything.

Yeah, I still think the unpopularity is due mostly to how unfriendly the sport is to advertisers.

TUSooner
6/13/2006, 11:23 AM
Wow. A throwaway copy-cat thread goes to 3 pages.

:twinkies:

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 11:24 AM
I played soccer for many years and loved it. But, it'll never catch on in America, and that doesn't really bother me. It's basically a great sport to keep you in shape for other sports' offseasons because you have to run for 90 minutes.

Besides, think about this...if we start dominating is soccer, too, the world would not be able to handle it psychologically. If you think the monkeyhumping muslims are nuts, imagine the fury of the soccer hooligan if America wins his sport's ultimate prize.

So, during the World Cup years, I hope America does well, but I cheer for the underdog. This year, I'm pulling for Trinidad & Tobogo. Great goalkeeping effort by that Chaka guy. Marty Turco should have to watch that performance once a day from now until October.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 11:34 AM
eh Shaka Hislop struggled for a lot of years....plus Turco has a ways to go before he's 37 ;)

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 11:38 AM
True. I wonder, though, if Stars fans can wait until he's 37 to stand on his head during the playoffs.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 11:40 AM
they waited that long for Belfour ;)

C&CDean
6/13/2006, 11:48 AM
Soccer players are some of the greatest conditioned athletes in the world.

An average person could never keep up with a good soccer player on the soccer pitch.

Soccer is hard.

Those are the nicest three things I can think of to say about soccer - because the game itself - especially at the elite levels - sucks baboon ***. Chess has more action. Tiddlywinks is more exciting. Curling pwns soccer.

I won't go so far as my baseball playing nephew, who says "they're a bunch of field fairies," but their game is excruciatingly unfun to watch. Play? Sure, lots of fun. Watch? Not so much.

Scott D
6/13/2006, 11:52 AM
heh says your nephew who plays in a sport where a hangnail can sideline a guy for a month ;)

GDC
6/13/2006, 12:17 PM
Hockey and soccer both suck the big one.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 12:36 PM

Might be the best post ever on the SO.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 12:37 PM
Oh, oh, oh, I beg to differ. In hockey, people fight; in soccer, they roll around and pretend to be hurt. There's a big difference there.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 12:37 PM
I won't go so far as my baseball playing nephew, who says "they're a bunch of field fairies," but their game is excruciatingly unfun to watch. Play? Sure, lots of fun. Watch? Not so much.

Your nephew is wise beyond his years.

And I agree, with all my dislike of soccer and soccer players, even I can admit that they are in incredible "running shape". But so are marathon runners, etc, and that doesn't make me like their sports. Hell, Lance Armstrong is in incredible shape, doesn't make cycling fun to watch.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 12:40 PM
I never dove or pretended to be hurt. That's a bitch move and it hurts the integrity of the game.

Sooner98
6/13/2006, 12:59 PM
One of my favorite scenes from The Simpsons was when Springfield hosted a soccer game.

Kent Brockman (announcing game on radio, bored out of his mind): "The center has it....passes to the wing.....passes to the center.....center holds it.....holds it.....holds it......"

<cuts to Latin American radio announcer>

"CENTER! PASSES TO WING!! PASSES TO CENTER!! CENTER HOLDS IT!! HOLDS IT!!! HOLDS IT!!!!!!"

IB4OU2
6/13/2006, 01:11 PM

and tennis, don't forget tennis.

Pricetag
6/13/2006, 01:18 PM
I find it funny that SO MANY people hate defensive dominated baseball, football, and basketball games. A shootout in soccer is still a heck of alot less entertaining then defensive games in the 3 above mentioned sports.
2002 Cotton Bowl.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2006, 01:28 PM

Wrongo bongo.

Hockey is a great game.

Soccer is boring.

BeetDigger
6/13/2006, 01:31 PM
I never dove or pretended to be hurt. That's a bitch move and it hurts the integrity of the game.

I think that faking injuries is a minor issue regarding the integrity of the game compared to the current Italian soccer scandal.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 01:31 PM
Baseball is more boring than soccer.

TUSooner
6/13/2006, 01:32 PM
It's hard for me to say I like or don't like to watch a particular sport more than another. It always depends on who's playing and what's at stake.

However, I'd rather watch almost anything else than basketball, tennis, or auto racing.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 01:33 PM
I think that faking injuries is a minor issue regarding the integrity of the game compared to the current Italian soccer scandal.

Picking refs for your own games is pretty bad.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2006, 01:37 PM
Sports that are fun to watch on TV:

Football
Auto Racing
Golf
Baseball

Sports that don't televise well:

Hockey
Soccer
Tennis

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 01:40 PM
2002 Cotton Bowl.

That is my point. I think "most" American men would rather watch the 2002 Cotton Bowl than a 3-2 (relatively high scoring) soccer game.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 01:41 PM
Baseball is more boring than soccer.

You couldn't be more wrong.

That said, and not to be mean, or to pick on you, but alot of people that weren't any good at baseball say that.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 01:41 PM
You couldn't be more wrong.

That said, and not to be mean, or to pick on you, but alot of people that weren't any good at baseball say that.

I've played both. I quit baseball because I didn't like standing around for periods of time. At least in soccer I'm always moving.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 01:45 PM
I've played both. I quit baseball because I didn't like standing around for periods of time. At least in soccer I'm always moving.

To each their own, but "how much time I spend moving" isn't much of a factor in whether I like a sport.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 01:47 PM
To each their own, but "how much time I spend moving" isn't much of a factor in whether I like a sport.

I still like baseball, but to say it's not boring but soccer is doesn't make sense to me.

C&CDean
6/13/2006, 02:07 PM
I still like baseball, but to say it's not boring but soccer is doesn't make sense to me.

Are you out of your ****ing mind?

In baseball, everything hangs on every pitch. On any pitch, something exciting could happen. And when a pitcher is on and mowing down batters, it's also very exciting to watch.

In soccer, it's literally hours of boredom interrupted by 1-2 and sometimes even 3 exciting moments where a guy manages to breakaway or gets a great centering pass, or a perfect corner kick set up and gets a clean shot on goal - and then he usually misses it.

For my money, go straight to the shootout. Soccer players would then be 260 pound monsters with a kicking leg like a tree trunk. Every play there'd be an opportunity to hit a homer. You know, like baseball.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 02:09 PM
Are you out of your ****ing mind?

In baseball, everything hangs on every pitch. On any pitch, something exciting could happen. And when a pitcher is on and mowing down batters, it's also very exciting to watch.

In soccer, it's literally hours of boredom interrupted by 1-2 and sometimes even 3 exciting moments where a guy manages to breakaway or gets a great centering pass, or a perfect corner kick set up and gets a clean shot on goal - and then he usually misses it.

For my money, go straight to the shootout. Soccer players would then be 260 pound monsters with a kicking leg like a tree trunk. Every play there'd be an opportunity to hit a homer. You know, like baseball.

Am I out of my ****ing mind? Yes, but not because I think baseball is boring, because it is.

C&CDean
6/13/2006, 02:12 PM
If baseball is like watching paint dry, soccer is like watching a corpse rot.

There's more excitement in a new pitcher warming up between innings than there is in most ENTIRE soccer games. Don't bother to argue either. Fact is fact.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 02:13 PM
Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. :rolleyes:

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 02:16 PM
Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. :rolleyes:

Glad you finally got it. :)

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 02:18 PM
Glad you finally got it. :)

What Dean says, goes, so I'll just keep to myself and my incorrect viewpoints.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 02:23 PM
Baseball used to be my favorite sport, I'd say up until about 1994. Now, there's no strategy involved. Owners tore town the real ballparks and built decorative matchboxes in their places. So, now, a baseball game is no more than a homerun contest between steroid-infested men on glorified softball fields. It sucks hard.

C&CDean
6/13/2006, 02:26 PM

You are wise beyond your years, field fairy.

silverwheels
6/13/2006, 02:28 PM
You are wise beyond your years, field fairy.

I'm sorry I disagreed with you, sir.

Stanley1
6/13/2006, 11:56 PM
Thrilling and exilarating 1-0 win by Brazil (suppose to be the #1 team in the world) today. :confused: :)

critical_phil
6/14/2006, 12:16 AM

here's what you need to do. take those incorrect viewpoints and put them in a mason jar, then bury the mason jar in the back yard.

one day, they'll be worth something.........

GottaHavePride
6/14/2006, 12:27 AM
Thrilling and exilarating 1-0 win by Brazil (suppose to be the #1 team in the world) today. :confused: :)

Dude, Croatia played a hell of a game. And ronaldo was fat. ;)

Oh, and 1994 was the same year I said "**** off dip ****" to MLB, TDTW.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2006, 09:57 AM
I feel so bad that I missed out on the stunning and exciting match between France and Switzerland that ended 0 - 0.

:rolleyes:

skycat
6/14/2006, 10:07 AM
It's not the lack of scoring that makes soccer insufferable. It's the lack of scoring opportunities.

Shots on goal are exciting no matter if they stretch the back of the net, or if the goalie makes a save. Having the ball spend a bunch of time around Mid Field is not exciting. But there are enough guys out there to clog up the field, and the off sides rule tends to keep them kind of bunched up.

sooneron
6/14/2006, 10:25 AM
Indoor soccer is bettah IMO.

BeetDigger
6/14/2006, 10:41 AM
And ronaldo was fat. ;)

What, he didn't know that the World Cup was coming up? Doesn't the dude play soccer like every day? Maybe you are joking about him being fat, but if you aren't, I guess I don't understand how a player on the #1 team in the world could get fat before the biggest event for the sport.

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:26 AM
On any pitch, something exciting could happen.

Football is fun to watch, and basketball is fun to watch if the right scheme is in place (ie, no Rudy Tomjonovich isolating a guard on the perimeter while the other four stand on the other side like a bunch of posts). Soccer is boring. Indoor soccer is kind of fun. Hockey is great to watch, as long as you're not watching a team that plays like the Jersey Devils do (I think the scheme is called the trap).

But watching baseball is like watching golf. It makes me want to claw my eyes out. Because something cool can happen on any play -- like a home run, or a hole in one -- you have to watch *every play*. Of course, 98% of the time, absolutely nothing f'ing happens.

The last time I enjoyed a baseball game was the night Nolan Ryan piched his last no-hitter.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2006, 12:26 PM
What, he didn't know that the World Cup was coming up? Doesn't the dude play soccer like every day? Maybe you are joking about him being fat, but if you aren't, I guess I don't understand how a player on the #1 team in the world could get fat before the biggest event for the sport.

This is something like his 4th World Cup - he only needs two goals to hold the record for most goals scored in World Cup play. He showed up a little heavy and slighly out of shape. He's probably in better shape than most of us, but on the field he was slow.

Pricetag
6/14/2006, 12:55 PM
It's not the lack of scoring that makes soccer insufferable. It's the lack of scoring opportunities.
I'm a soccer fan, but I can agree with your point here. I love the game, but it sucks that a two-goal lead is almost insurmountable.

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 01:01 PM
my favorite part of soccer are the parents. If you say that you don't like soccer around one they instantly tell you that you would if you understood it. They're so much better than non-soccer parents because they drop a few dimes each year to get their kid on a 'select' team that is made up of ordinary players in an ordinary league.

Give it a rest folks. Some of us do understand the game and the different styles of soccer that each country plays. Hell, some of us even have a gold medal from the OSSAA that denotes that they were on the best team in the state that year and have a gold ring to go with the medal.

I don't like to watch soccer. I'm glad that you do.

BeetDigger
6/14/2006, 01:08 PM
This is something like his 4th World Cup - he only needs two goals to hold the record for most goals scored in World Cup play. He showed up a little heavy and slighly out of shape. He's probably in better shape than most of us, but on the field he was slow.

He can be in better shape than me, I won't even argue that point (although I am not in too bad of shape), but I am not playing in the World Cup. I guess Micheal Jordan too was kind of fat toward the end of his career. But he would not have shown up for a NBA finals out of shape I bet.

GDC
6/14/2006, 02:43 PM
Fat by soccer player standards or fat by SF.com standards?

JohnnyMack
6/14/2006, 02:47 PM
fat by SF.com standards?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/scottdixon/BonnieandScott.jpg

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 02:49 PM
that's 255 pounds of smoove lovin' right there:twinkies:

JohnnyMack
6/14/2006, 02:52 PM
that's 255 pounds of smoove lovin' right there:twinkies:

Did you get my 2nd peem?

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 02:53 PM
that was 35 seconds of jerky lovin

Pricetag
6/14/2006, 03:49 PM
Give it a rest folks. Some of us do understand the game and the different styles of soccer that each country plays.
Emphasis on some.

It doesn't bother me that soccer will probably never be on the same level as other, historically American sports in this country. If someone has taken a look and decided it isn't for them, that's fine with me. There are valid criticisms of the game, just like there are for every other sport out there.

What I hate is hearing know-nothings like Eschbach or Traber running the sport down when it gets its one relative day in the sun over here every four years. I know, I don't have to listen to them, but there are plenty of people out there who think just like them.

C&CDean
6/14/2006, 04:01 PM
Football is fun to watch, and basketball is fun to watch if the right scheme is in place (ie, no Rudy Tomjonovich isolating a guard on the perimeter while the other four stand on the other side like a bunch of posts). Soccer is boring. Indoor soccer is kind of fun. Hockey is great to watch, as long as you're not watching a team that plays like the Jersey Devils do (I think the scheme is called the trap).

But watching baseball is like watching golf. It makes me want to claw my eyes out. Because something cool can happen on any play -- like a home run, or a hole in one -- you have to watch *every play*. Of course, 98% of the time, absolutely nothing f'ing happens.

The last time I enjoyed a baseball game was the night Nolan Ryan piched his last no-hitter.

Oh, so you sucked at baseball? Cool.

Listening to you nimrods fawn over soccer hurts my taint scar. It has never caught on, and will never catch on here. One reason (well besides the fact it sucks). No contact. In football, you play smashmouth. In baseball, you take him out at the plate, or bean the sumbitch. In basketball you bring it in the lane. In soccer, if you touch somebody they fall down like girly-girls and somebody pulls out a colored card. Meh.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/14/2006, 04:03 PM
'..hurts my taint scar...'

Oh, Jebus...please...help...can't...breathe.....

IB4OU2
6/14/2006, 04:06 PM
'..hurts my taint scar...'

Oh, Jebus...please...help...can't...breathe.....

Yea, when you get old like us those things start flairing up.

BeetDigger
6/14/2006, 04:16 PM
Oh, so you sucked at baseball? Cool.

Listening to you nimrods fawn over soccer hurts my taint scar. It has never caught on, and will never catch on here. One reason (well besides the fact it sucks). No contact. In football, you play smashmouth. In baseball, you take him out at the plate, or bean the sumbitch. In basketball you bring it in the lane. In soccer, if you touch somebody they fall down like girly-girls and somebody pulls out a colored card. Meh.

See, I look at it slightly different. I have come to realize, both through the interaction with soccer parents, players and some of the fans of this board that what sucks are some of the people who LIKE soccer (GHP and Scott D excluded). Personally, I think that the game is kind of interesting. That interest is quickly waning however, given how some of the fans behave (and I'm not even talking about the nimrods in Europe who get into fights in the stands, who have crushed each other over the years trying to storm the field, rioted outside of stadiums trying to gain entrance, ....).

Therefore Dean, perhaps it's not the game that sucks but rather the fans are what suck and that has lead to you disliking the game.

Scott D
6/14/2006, 04:27 PM
Beet, I prefer to think it's the short attention span USAcentric having view that most people have. Like GHP said, soccer doesn't really allow for semi frequent bathroom breaks, no run for a chips refill during play until halftime scenario. The fact that the results usually show a more defensive game are probably icing on the cake.

Oh and Stanley, going by the final line score means nothing really....Or would you consider a 1-0 win in baseball where one pitcher may strike out 18 to be just as boring if you didn't know the pitcher struck out 18 batters?

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 04:30 PM
d00d, watching a soccer game is sitting through a bathroom break. It is one big bathroom break. You can get up anytime you want and the chances are high that you won't miss anything.

BajaOklahoma
6/14/2006, 04:43 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going on.
Did any of you watch Germany & Poland. That was a game.

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 04:45 PM
Oh and Stanley, going by the final line score means nothing really....Or would you consider a 1-0 win in baseball where one pitcher may strike out 18 to be just as boring if you didn't know the pitcher struck out 18 batters?

I actually watched/listened to most of that Brazil game. Was "curious" to see what a national power soccer team looks like. So when I say it was boring, it really was. The problem with soccer in general, is that too much of it is played at mid-field, the fans are "goons" who'd rather see a fight/riot then good "soccer", and the limited "skill set" required. You'll try to argue the skill set, and that is fine, but it is very limited. Being able to run and kick a ball does not an athlete make.

As for your baseball analogy above, why does the 18 K's make the pitcher's performance any more dominating? I actually understand the game, and to be honest, prefer a dominating pitching performance in which a guy like Maddux throws limited pitches, getting batters to "get themselves out".

Scott D
6/14/2006, 04:46 PM
d00d, watching a soccer game is sitting through a bathroom break. It is one big bathroom break. You can get up anytime you want and the chances are high that you won't miss anything.

and some people actually go to the toilet instead of looking for the first available carpet ;)

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 04:46 PM

Couldn't agree more. Soccer is probably the sport that you have the best chance of missing nothing while going to the restroom.

Mjcpr
6/14/2006, 04:47 PM
Are you trying to set a record for most number of quotation marks in a post?

You're probably missed the record but I don't think it was by "a lot".

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 04:50 PM
Are you trying to set a record for most number of quotation marks in a post?

You're probably missed the record but I don't think it was by "a lot".

"F*** off", Pat.

GDC
6/14/2006, 04:58 PM
soccer, nba, and hockey=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Scott D
6/14/2006, 04:59 PM
I actually watched/listened to most of that Brazil game. Was "curious" to see what a national power soccer team looks like. So when I say it was boring, it really was. The problem with soccer in general, is that too much of it is played at mid-field, the fans are "goons" who'd rather see a fight/riot then good "soccer", and the limited "skill set" required. You'll try to argue the skill set, and that is fine, but it is very limited. Being able to run and kick a ball does not an athlete make.

As for your baseball analogy above, why does the 18 K's make the pitcher's performance any more dominating? I actually understand the game, and to be honest, prefer a dominating pitching performance in which a guy like Maddux throws limited pitches, getting batters to "get themselves out".

Brazil looked very un-Brazil like in that first match...and we've discussed a variety of reasons why in the thread actually about the World Cup...I think part of that was because of how Croatia played, but that's another story.

We could argue forever what makes someone an athlete..like I could quote John Kruk who always said he was a baseball player, not an athlete.

The World Cup is probably a bad example of it, as is any of the European Leagues, along with the MLS...however, in Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, etc...play a very exciting brand of soccer in their domestic leagues. Also seemingly every year FIFA is introducing new rules or rule changes to increase chances and potential scoring.

On top of the reason I gave earlier I think Fox Sports also had another analogy right in regards to soccer and the US with this quote.

Soccer is another story. Though it has long been one of the more popular recreational sports in America, soccer as a professional sport has had an uphill battle over the past thirty years. The sport has had difficulty gaining attention in a sports culture largely built around "native sports" such as baseball, American football, basketball and ice hockey. Soccer has also had difficulty breaking through a media culture that lacks real knowledge about the game, and has been quick to condemn the pastime as "foreign".

Scott D
6/14/2006, 05:00 PM
soccer, nba, and hockey=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ncaa wrestling matches=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I mean really, how long can we sit there watching guys holding each other in a neck lock dancing around in a circle? ;)

GDC
6/14/2006, 05:05 PM

I mean really, how long can we sit there watching guys holding each other in a neck lock dancing around in a circle? ;)

That's the refs' faults for not calling stalling on them, especially the fatass heavyweights.

Scott D
6/14/2006, 05:05 PM
you forgot the part where you call defensive wrestlers pussies :)

BajaOklahoma
6/14/2006, 07:20 PM
Couldn't agree more. Soccer is probably the sport that you have the best chance of missing nothing while going to the restroom.

My daughter's team had a linesman who was still in the restroom when the ref started the second half. So he wasn't there to call the goal offsides and it cost the girls the championship.
Even the other coach agreed it sucked.

VeeJay
6/14/2006, 07:32 PM
Is watching soccer like drinking a Tab?

TUSooner
6/14/2006, 08:25 PM
I disagree. As soon as you trun your back to go to the head, something happens. :rolleyes:

TUSooner
6/14/2006, 08:27 PM
You know, I've started some really dismal threads in the last 3 years, I still can't believe this one is still around.

Pricetag
6/14/2006, 11:26 PM
I disagree. As soon as you trun your back to go to the head, something happens. :rolleyes:
Every time my dad would go to the restroom at Skelley back in the day, the Roughnecks would score. We'd send him down there when we needed a rally.

Pricetag
6/14/2006, 11:30 PM
You'll try to argue the skill set, and that is fine, but it is very limited. Being able to run and kick a ball does not an athlete make.
As a baseball player and fan, how can you possibly say something like this? I mean, all you have to do to excel in baseball is throw and hit.

It's a tad more complicated than that, though, isn't it? Say what you want about the sport, but there's no way you can say those guys aren't highly skilled athletes.

C&CDean
6/14/2006, 11:34 PM
As a baseball player and fan, how can you possibly say something like this? I mean, all you have to do to excel in baseball is throw and hit.

It's a tad more complicated than that, though, isn't it? Say what you want about the sport, but there's no way you can say those guys aren't highly skilled athletes.

Dude, I agree with you 100% Great athletes. Some of the best. Conditioned like a muhfuggah. Hand-eye coordination like a big dog. Strong, like bull. Lungs, legs, and heart.

They just choose to waste their skills on a boring-*** sport. And that's the rub.

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 11:35 PM

Baseball players run and catch as well.

This is one of the comments I make when "comparing" sports. Take some of the better players from each sport, and have them "switch" sports. Who performs better in each? Jordan, for as great of an athlete as he was, was a pretty terrible baseball player when he tried to play it professionally. I'm willing to bet more baseball players could become "decent" soccer players than vice versa.

I've played just about every sport there is to play, and I'll say this.....hitting a baseball and hitting a golf ball (well, and consistently mind you) are the two hardest things I've ever done.

I'm not saying soccer requires "no" skills, that isn't true. I'm just saying that more people are capable of playing professional soccer than any of the other major sports, IMO.

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 11:37 PM
but there's no way you can say those guys aren't highly skilled athletes.

It really depends what you mean by that. I don't see it that way. If that is the case, you have to say cyclists and runners are highly skilled athletes. Running, in and of itself, doesn't make someone a super athlete. Are soccer players athletes? Yes. Highly skilled? Maybe the super-stars, but I don't think the average pro is.

silverwheels
6/14/2006, 11:39 PM
You still have no idea how hard it is to play competitive soccer, Stanley, and I'm not even talking about world-class players.

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 11:42 PM
You still have no idea how hard it is to play competitive soccer, Stanley, and I'm not even talking about world-class players.

Actually I do, but thanks for playing.

I've admitted they have to be in really, really, really good shape. Thats all you'll get from me.

silverwheels
6/14/2006, 11:42 PM
Actually I do, but thanks for playing.

I've admitted they have to be in really, really, really good shape. Thats all you'll get from me.

And you're still wrong. But thanks for attempting to act like you know something about soccer.

Stanley1
6/14/2006, 11:49 PM
And you're still wrong. But thanks for attempting to act like you know something about soccer.

Didn't someone mention earlier that the thing they hated about soccer was the fans, b/c if you don't like soccer, they automatically assume you know nothing about it?

Thanks for proving that statement correct. Like I've said, I know enough about soccer to know that hitting a 95 mph baseball that is moving is a hell of alot harder than anything soccer players do.

silverwheels
6/14/2006, 11:52 PM
Didn't someone mention earlier that the thing they hated about soccer was the fans, b/c if you don't like soccer, they automatically assume you know nothing about it?

Thanks for proving that statement correct. Like I've said, I know enough about soccer to know that hitting a 95 mph baseball that is moving is a hell of alot harder than anything soccer players do.

I assume you know nothing about it because of the way you talk about it, not because you don't like it.

You should try scoring on a free kick 30 yards out over a wall and tell me that isn't hard. Or put yourself in goal and try to stop a rocket from a player like Rosicky or Ronaldinho. Hell, I was never a world-class player and I could still rip them off pretty well.

Pricetag
6/14/2006, 11:55 PM
I assume you know nothing about it because of the way you talk about it, not because you don't like it.

You should try scoring on a free kick 30 yards out over a wall and tell me that isn't hard. Or put yourself in goal and try to stop a rocket from a player like Robisky or Ronaldinho. Hell, I was never a world-class player and I could still rip them off pretty well.
No ****. As much as these guys like to bitch about the lack of scoring, they don't realize that if guys weren't able to pretty consistently bend a ball 30 yards onto the feet/head of a teammate, there would be no scoring.

critical_phil
6/15/2006, 12:43 AM

you forgot the part where you call defensive wrestlers pussies

show me a "defensive" wrestler, and i'll show you a guy who doesn't win a lot.

oh, and btw,

dead.to.me.

GottaHavePride
6/15/2006, 01:45 AM
I'm willing to bet more baseball players could become "decent" soccer players than vice versa.

I totally disagree with that. Baseball players aren't used to running continuously for so long, changing directions as quickly, coordinating anything other than running with their feet. Soccer players aren't used to being allowed to use their hands. I would bet soocer players could learn to swing a bat much faster than a baseball player could learn to dribble and pass a soccer ball.

Pricetag
6/15/2006, 09:01 AM
I totally disagree with that. Baseball players aren't used to running continuously for so long, changing directions as quickly, coordinating anything other than running with their feet.
Yep. Using their feet to dribble, pass, and shoot the ball with skill would come about as naturally as writing with the non-dominant hand for an athlete in any other sport.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 09:04 AM
Soccer players are athletes. They are good athletes.

Soccer is boring.