PDA

View Full Version : Should I work for free?

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 03:47 PM
I do part time electrical work with a licence.A neighbor lady around 70 years old calls wanting me to work on a garage door opener.I have done free work for her in the past and other elderly on fixed income.Anyway I get over there and her son is home a no good sum----- he stands around watching me sweat.My wife says not to take it out on her by charging her I'm ****ed should I or not.:confused:

oumartin
6/12/2006, 03:53 PM
charge her out the butt man!!!
oh, hit it!

OUDoc
6/12/2006, 03:57 PM
Would it have been that hard to drop a live wire on his head?

Hamhock
6/12/2006, 04:00 PM
Don't punish the old lady 'cause her son is worthless. Why did you consider doing it for free in the first place?

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 04:04 PM
i just kind of believe in carma good things come back around.And alot of elderly people will have to give up medicine or not run AC to pay me.I just try to do the right thing when I can afford it.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 04:05 PM
Sunds like the fact that she has a useless son is more reason for you to have pity on her. Send the son out to get a 5-gallon bucket of elbow grease or something, or ask him to hold something hot.

StoopTroup
6/12/2006, 04:06 PM
You did good.

Mom says thanks.

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 04:08 PM
You did good.

Mom says thanks.
:D

Hamhock
6/12/2006, 04:09 PM
i just kind of believe in carma good things come back around.And alot of elderly people will have to give up medicine or not run AC to pay me.I just try to do the right thing when I can afford it.

dipwad son doesn't change any of those reasons.

unless you consider that your charity is feeding his meth habit ;)

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 04:18 PM
Send the son out to get a 5-gallon bucket of elbow grease or something, or ask him to hold something hot.

Pfff. Everyone knows elbow grease comes in little tubes, not big buckets. The big buckets are headlight fluid.

StoopTroup
6/12/2006, 04:20 PM
http://flower-peddler.com/store/image.php?productid=16181

OUDoc
6/12/2006, 04:27 PM
Did you hook her up with 220 or 221? ;)

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 04:29 PM
Perhaps the son is electrically challenged?
I would be more a liability than a help.

My nephew, also an electrician, has done work for my 76 year old mother and not wanted to charge her. She either pays him what she thinks is reasonable (and who knows if it is correct) or she will bake for him. She is a great cook.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 04:32 PM
Pfff. Everyone knows elbow grease comes in little tubes, not big buckets. The big buckets are headlight fluid.
I was just testing you. You pass!

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 04:54 PM
Perhaps the son is electrically challenged?
I would be more a liability than a help.

My nephew, also an electrician, has done work for my 76 year old mother and not wanted to charge her. She either pays him what she thinks is reasonable (and who knows if it is correct) or she will bake for him. She is a great cook.

That's for sure we do get alot of banana bread from old widow's whats the deal with old people and banana bread?

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 05:29 PM
I think that banana bread requires very few of the ingredients that were rationed during the War. So they got it often and grew to like it.
And remember that they are taking the time to make something for you - it is considered a sign of respect - especially among the elderly (think something from the heart).

Tiptonsooner
6/12/2006, 05:39 PM
I am an HVAC contractor, I learned long ago that no good deed goes unpunished. Charge everyone full price and don't work for family, ever.
If you are looking for karma, call another electrician and pay the service call for her. You will be miles ahead of the game.

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 05:50 PM
I am an HVAC contractor, I learned long ago that no good deed goes unpunished. Charge everyone full price and don't work for family, ever.
If you are looking for karma, call another electrician and pay the service call for her. You will be miles ahead of the game.

I think that is true some of the time - it depends on who is doing the work, what the work is and who is getting it done. Gripey/difficult people ruin a good thing.

OCUDad
6/12/2006, 06:11 PM
Present the bill to her son.