PDA

View Full Version : The Dumbest F'ing Thing I've Ever Heard...

the_ouskull
6/12/2006, 12:56 PM
...and considering how many Whorn fans post on this board, that's saying something...

Let me get this perfectly straight...

If you get a ticket for not having proof of insurance, then you have to pay a $244 dollar ticket. Then, as soon as you pay that ticket, your license gets suspended, and you have to pay another $300-$350 ticket to take care of THAT.

...the second ticket has to be paid regardless of whether or not you had insurance initially. If you pay the first ticket, you HAVE to pay the second one. If you don't, your license is suspended.

I'm just making sure I'm perfectly clear on this issue...

I've spent many of my adult years defending this state to detractors. People speak of their being nothing to do, etc, etc, etc... You all know the knocks, so I'm not going to re-hash them here. Then I'm faced with something like this...

It's official. I'm expanding my job search to teach outside of the state of Oklahoma. I don't CARE if we need good teachers; teachers who want to do it here to stay here. I can't live in a state that blatantly rips off its citizens under the guise of "law." I'm fully aware that this may occur elsewhere as well, but it hasn't happened to ME anywhere else...

Also, when I called the Dept of Public Safety, to confirm the cost of a suspended license, the lady I spoke with hung up on me. My statement that made her hang up:

"So you're telling me that the ticket I have to pay for paying a ticket is greater than the ticket I initially paid?"

F*ck this state.

I'm going to also recommend that you Sooner Fans don't call the Dept of Public Safety anytime in the next week as I'll be going Jerky Boys on that place...

the_ouskull

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 01:00 PM
Oh no, he's got that road rage disease thing...

mdklatt
6/12/2006, 01:00 PM
This is the one state people from Louisiana can get away with criticizing for having a cluster **** of a state government.

Welcome to Oklahoma, here's your Vaseline.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:01 PM
What's the name of that state where you aren't required to have auto insurance?

If you were driving with no insurance and were stopped and cited for it then yes, you are ****ed. But the intent of the law is to **** you for driving without it so the penalty is supposed to be severe.

However, my understanding of your scenario is different. If you could not provide proof of having insurance at the time of the citation and you did not get insurance by the time you paid the ticket then yes, you would pay the ticket in full. By doing so, you admitted to driving w/o insurance that will get you an automatic suspension of your drivers license. I have never heard of being "automatically cited" for driving under suspension though. If were cited later for that, I can see it but I have never heard of it being an "automatic citation".

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/12/2006, 01:02 PM
Waittaminnit...

If you really do have insurance and you take proof of insurance to the police station don't they drop the ticket except for some crappy fees or something?

Am I wrong?

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:04 PM
Waittaminnit...

If you really do have insurance and you take proof of insurance to the police station don't they drop the ticket except for some crappy fees or something?

Am I wrong?

Yes, they do. In Tulsa there is no charge if you do so within 2 business days of getting the ticket. Not sure about anywhere else though.

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 01:07 PM
Waittaminnit...

Am I wrong?
Thats the way it works around here.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/12/2006, 01:07 PM
Oh, and that State Farm commercial where the agent brings her verification to her while she's being stopped is some bull$hit...

TheHumanAlphabet
6/12/2006, 01:13 PM
This is why I will NEVER retire to Oklahoma. I will move to colse to the state, but within the confines of Baja Oklahoma...No state income tax and no stupid politicos and f'ed up state laws...

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 01:21 PM
This is why I will NEVER retire to Oklahoma. I will move to colse to the state, but within the confines of Baja Oklahoma...No state income tax and no stupid politicos and f'ed up state laws...

Well.....
No income tax, but the property taxes fix that. You usually end up in the hole compared to OK.
Laura Miller. John Wiley Price. And I can go on......
State laws - please. I think they invented them down here.
The only reason we are here is because of our jobs. When we retire, we will probably be moving back to OK - gladly. Though that might change depending on where our kids end up.

the_ouskull
6/12/2006, 01:27 PM
So that the situation is fully understood...

- I have moved twice in the past 6 months. (3 residences total.)
- I was driving a new (to me) truck when I was pulled over on Sunday.
- I didn't have the truck insured. It is insured now.

- If I am unable to get the "uninsured motorist" ticket dropped, then as soon as I pay it, the State of Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (my *ss) will suspend my driver's license.
- To get my license off of suspension, it will cost me another $300-$350.

So, by doing the right thing and actually paying my ticket, I will then have to turn around and pay MORE than the cost of the initial ticket.

Hence, f*ck this state.

the_ouskull

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:27 PM

You surely do not believe that Oklahoma is the only state that requires you to carry auto insurance (this is a bad thing? :confused: ) and penalizes you if you're caught without it? This is why you would not move to Oklahoma?

The no state income tax argument always makes me laugh too. As Baja said, you will pay it one way or the other no matter where you choose to live.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:32 PM
So that the situation is fully understood...

- I have moved twice in the past 6 months. (3 residences total.)
- I was driving a new (to me) truck when I was pulled over on Sunday.
- I didn't have the truck insured. It is insured now.

- If I am unable to get the "uninsured motorist" ticket dropped, then as soon as I pay it, the State of Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (my *ss) will suspend my driver's license.
- To get my license off of suspension, it will cost me another $300-$350.

So, by doing the right thing and actually paying my ticket, I will then have to turn around and pay MORE than the cost of the initial ticket.

Hence, f*ck this state.

the_ouskull

The insurance policy you had on your previous vehicle should cover you in a new one as well. They should be able to provide you with an insurance verification form that shows coverage on the date you were cited assuming you had a policy in effect at the time. If you didn't, then you shouldn't have been driving the vehicle until youhad it insured. Why? What if you accidentally ran into somebody and injured them....could you pay their medical bills, time off work, vehicle damage, etc? No. That's why you have insurance.

Yes, the state will suspend your license for admitting guilt in driving w/o insurance (by not having it dismissed by showing coverage for the time you were cited). But they don't automatically give you a ticket as you stated earlier, that wasn't making sense.....I had never heard that before.

MamaMia
6/12/2006, 01:36 PM
...the second ticket has to be paid regardless of whether or not you had insurance initially. If you pay the first ticket, you HAVE to pay the second one. If you don't, your license is suspended.

It's official. I'm expanding my job search to teach outside of the state of Oklahoma. I don't CARE if we need good teachers; teachers who want to do it here to stay here. I can't live in a state that blatantly rips off its citizens under the guise of "law." I'm fully aware that this may occur elsewhere as well, but it hasn't happened to ME anywhere else...

Also, when I called the Dept of Public Safety, to confirm the cost of a suspended license, the lady I spoke with hung up on me. My statement that made her hang up:

"So you're telling me that the ticket I have to pay for paying a ticket is greater than the ticket I initially paid?"

F*ck this state.Good luck finding a state that doesnt have bureaucrats ripping people off, and anyway...how are you going to get there? :P

the_ouskull
6/12/2006, 01:38 PM
It's not that I don't have auto insurance... It's that the truck I was driving when I was pulled over didn't. I can't go to my agent on a Sunday afternoon and tell them, "hey, I got a new ride, so if you can open up the offices for a bit, that'd be great."

Also, for more fun facts about Oklahoma...

The $244 ticket for driving without insurance, (and the $300 "hidden fee" after you pay that ticket...) measures up as follows...

- Aiding and Abetting: $144
- Possession of Marijuana: $244
- Eluding a Police Officer: $179

So assisting a known felon and running from the cops is less severe than driving without insurance...? ...and having illegal drugs on your person is the same?

Once again... F*ck this state.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
6/12/2006, 01:39 PM
But they don't automatically give you a ticket as you stated earlier, that wasn't making sense.....I had never heard that before.

Then call the Dept of Public Safety. As SOON as you pay your ticket for driving without insurance, they report it to the Dept of Public Safety, who then immediately suspends your driver's license.

the_ouskull

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:42 PM
It's not that I don't have auto insurance... It's that the truck I was driving when I was pulled over didn't. I can't go to my agent on a Sunday afternoon and tell them, "hey, I got a new ride, so if you can open up the offices for a bit, that'd be great."

No, you do it today then you go down and have the ticket dismissed and you have no other problems. As I stated earlier, your other policy should cover you when you get a new vehicle.

Driving with no insurance is a serious offense so I guess I don't follow your reasoning that it shouldn't be. If you've ever been hit by an uninsured motorist, I'm sure you'd feel differently.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:43 PM
Then call the Dept of Public Safety. As SOON as you pay your ticket for driving without insurance, they report it to the Dept of Public Safety, who then immediately suspends your driver's license.

the_ouskull

Yes they do, I said that earlier. But that's not getting a ticket.

Taxman71
6/12/2006, 01:52 PM
I thought a bill was currently in the works to correct that? I would challenge it either way.

BeetDigger
6/12/2006, 01:52 PM
I think that you can call the 800 number for your insurance and notify them that you just purchased a vehicle and that you need insurance on it. I don't think that you can get a document from them (perhaps online) but at least it is insured. In fact, you can get insurance applied retroactive I believe. You just tell them on Monday that you bought the pickup on Sunday and need insurance covering you from Sunday on.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 01:53 PM
I think that you can call the 800 number for your insurance and notify them that you just purchased a vehicle and that you need insurance on it. I don't think that you can get a document from them (perhaps online) but at least it is insured. In fact, you can get insurance applied retroactive I believe. You just tell them on Monday that you bought the pickup on Sunday and need insurance covering you from Sunday on.

What a super idea!

jacru
6/12/2006, 01:59 PM
He doesn't want an answer. He just wants to b!tch.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 02:00 PM

heh

olevetonahill
6/12/2006, 02:18 PM
quitcherbitching .
If you just bought the truck any insurance company gives you at least 72 hrs ( 3 business days ) to contact em , then take the proof to whatever police dept that gave you the ticket , Maybe pay a small fee . end of story

Hamhock
6/12/2006, 03:07 PM
No, you do it today then you go down and have the ticket dismissed and you have no other problems. As I stated earlier, your other policy should cover you when you get a new vehicle.

Driving with no insurance is a serious offense so I guess I don't follow your reasoning that it shouldn't be. If you've ever been hit by an uninsured motorist, I'm sure you'd feel differently.

Wurd. Smoking pot doesn't leave ME with a wrecked car and medical bills.

I think they need a system that automatically reports, to the state, any cancellation or lapse of coverage, and put the burden on the person to prove they have new insurance. Too many people get insurance just to get their d/l or tag, then cancel it.

the_ouskull
6/12/2006, 03:10 PM

THANK you. Jeses. Someone gets it...

I HAVE insurance... I just think that it's bullsh*t that the fine to get your license suspended is greater than the fine for not having insurance... in addition to the other fines I mentioned...

the_ouskull

Hamhock
6/12/2006, 03:11 PM

I HAVE insurance... I just think that it's bullsh*t that the fine to get your license suspended is greater than the fine for not having insurance... in addition to the other fines I mentioned...

the_ouskull

you don't get fined if you have insurance.:eddie:

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 03:15 PM
you don't get fined if you have insurance.:eddie:

MamaMia
6/12/2006, 03:17 PM

the_ouskullWhy doesnt your insurance cover you for whatever vehicle you drive? Mine does.

dolemitesooner
6/12/2006, 03:23 PM
Well first of all I have been in this boat.

If this happen yesterday you have 3 days to bring proof of insurance to said police department. If you were covered they drop the ticket. If you had drivers insurance it should cover you for all veichles you drive. If you have no insuranse or just insurance on the other car you had and you didnt call on sunday you are ****ed.

First of all if this did just happen yesterday you can call you insurance company and tell them you just got a new vehcile this weekend and explain the situation and if you were all ready covered I would gaurantee they give you coverage for the last weekend.

The law is there for a reason. You made a mistake.

SECOND why have you already paid the ticket ..you could have gone to court and explained the situation that you had and I am sure they would be resonable unless you have done stupid things in the past.

Sucks for you but this is going to happen in every state. Know the law and follow it bro it wont happen again

dolemitesooner
6/12/2006, 03:23 PM
Why doesnt your insurance cover you for whatever vehicle you drive? Mine does.
BINGO:D

tbl
6/12/2006, 03:24 PM
I can tell you firsthand that in the State of Texas, you pay $10 for court costs once you go into the DPS and show them you had insurance. If your tags or inspection are out, you go get them taken care of, bring the paperwork into the DPS, pay the $10 court cost for each citation, then you're free to go. I've been through both of these scenarios in two different cities in Texas, and I had the same experience in both places.

Yet another reason Texas (the state) is the best in the union. Interesting to me how the best state in the union can have the worst University representing it, but that's the way it is.

Move to Texas. DFW is not far from OK, and it's a great metro area. Sooner games are only a short 3 hour drive away.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 03:25 PM
I can tell you firsthand that in the State of Texas, you pay $10 for court costs once you go into the DPS and show them you had insurance. If your tags or inspection are out, you go get them taken care of, bring the paperwork into the DPS, pay the $10 court cost for each citation, then you're free to go. I've been through both of these scenarios in two different cities in Texas, and I had the same experience in both places.

Yet another reason Texas (the state) is the best in the union. Interesting to me how the best state in the union can have the worst University representing it, but that's the way it is.

Move to Texas. DFW is not far from OK, and it's a great metro area. Sooner games are only a short 3 hour drive away.

:rolleyes:

So if you get a no insurance ticket by the Dallas PD, you take it to the Texas DPS to get it taken care of?

tbl
6/12/2006, 03:26 PM
Also, plead not guilty to a ticket in Fort Worth, go to the courthouse for your fine, and they dismiss it on the spot (at least they did for me). Sweet!

tbl
6/12/2006, 03:27 PM
:rolleyes:

So if you get a no insurance ticket by the Dallas PD, you take it to the Texas DPS to get it taken care of?

You know what I meant. You take it to the place where you pay tickets, typically the city court clerk. For the sake of typing "city court clerk" over and over, I just put DPS. Thanks for making me go back and do what I didn't want to do originally. :eddie:

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 03:30 PM
You know what I meant. You take it to the place where you pay tickets, typically the city court clerk. For the sake of typing "city court clerk" over and over, I just put DPS. Thanks for making me go back and do what I didn't want to do originally. :eddie:

Say what you mean then, because what you said didn't make any damn sense. How is it my fault you posted nonsense?

Also, DUH! That's what we've been telling him....even in this backwoods, hillbilly state you can show you had coverage and get the ticket dismissed at no/minimal cost.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/12/2006, 03:32 PM
:les: I WANT TO BITCH!!!

tbl
6/12/2006, 03:32 PM
Say what you mean then, because what you said didn't make any damn sense. How is it my fault you posted nonsense?

Also, DUH! That's what we've been telling him....even in this backwoods, hillbilly state you can show you had coverage and get the ticket dismissed at no/minimal cost.

Yeah, using DPS threw off the whole meaning of my post and none of it made any sense b/c of that. :rolleyes:

I grew up in Oklahoma. I love Oklahoma. I've lived in Oklahoma and Texas for lengthy times in each. IMO, Texas is just a better state. Don't get sensitive. :twinkies:

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, using DPS threw off the whole meaning of my post and none of it made any sense b/c of that. :rolleyes:
For those who know the difference between the state DPS and a Municipal Court as two entirely different entities it did.

I grew up in Oklahoma. I love Oklahoma. I've lived in Oklahoma and Texas for lengthy times in each. IMO, Texas is just a better state. Don't get sensitive. :twinkies:
Who's arguing that? My original point to the whole thing was no matter where you live, you're going to have to abide by the laws including those regarding having insurance on your vehicle. If you do the same thing in Texas, you're going to be in a similar boat.

Taxman71
6/12/2006, 03:43 PM
:les: I WANT TO BITCH!!!

I WANT A BITCH TOO!! (preferably Bluetick with a good sense of smell)

tbl
6/12/2006, 03:45 PM
Well, your "backwoods, hillbilly state" comment seemed to convey a little whininess. My bad if it wasn't...

StoopTroup
6/12/2006, 04:19 PM
If you would have had Allstate...

You would have been in good hands...

Boomer_Sooner_sax
6/12/2006, 04:20 PM
I used to work for the Oklahoma County Court Clerk's office and here is the lowdown (at least for county sheriff and highway patrol tickets for no insurance.)

If you have insurance at the time you are pulled over, but are missing the verification, you have 2 business days to take it to the court clerk's office in person and they will dismiss it with no costs to you. If you miss the 48 hours given, you have to go to court on your assigned day and bring the insurance card with you and you will then talk to a DA and they will dismiss it. It is up to them whether with court costs (about $90) or not.

If you do not have insurance at the time you were stopped and get insurance before you go to court, then usually they will dismiss it with court costs.

Never under any circumstances do you ever want to pay an insurance ticket if you have or going to get insurance. Under Oklahoma law, if you pay an insurance ticket, you plead guilty (or no contest) to the ticket and declare you do not have insurance to drive a car on Oklahoma roads. Your license is therefore immediately suspended and costs in the neighborhood of $50 to reinstate it.

This law is to try to prevent people from getting in to wrecks with law abiding citizens who do have insuarance, forcing them to file on their insurance. The intent of this law is great, but from my experiences working there, if they don't have insurance...99% of the time they don't have a DL either.

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 04:25 PM
Once again the SO is missing the important post of this thread.
#30 and even #31

WHO HAS DOLEO's PASSWORD NOW? Or is he on the way to drunkytown already? Yermom?

nanimonai
6/13/2006, 01:17 AM
Try getting your car impounded in Edmond for a tag that is three months out of date. the impound yard is in MOTHER****ING Arcadia at something like $25 per mile plus impound fees.
The fine for a three month old tag comes out to around $500.

olevetonahill
6/13/2006, 01:22 AM
Im sorry, but wouldnt it be cheaper to Buy your Tags and have Insurance :confused:

nanimonai
6/13/2006, 01:28 AM
Im sorry, but wouldnt it be cheaper to Buy your Tags and have Insurance :confused:

Certainly is but I thought I'd throw in my bitch about the sweeheart deal the wrecker service in Arcadia has worked out with the city of Edmond. It's like the ****ing mafia up there.

That was like 5 years ago and my blood still boils when I think about it.

olevetonahill
6/13/2006, 01:34 AM
Certainly is but I thought I'd throw in my bitch about the sweeheart deal the wrecker service in Arcadia has worked out with the city of Edmond. It's like the ****ing mafia up there.

That was like 5 years ago and my blood still boils when I think about it.
Kinda like STOREY wrecker in Tulsa ?