PDA

View Full Version : DE prospect Richetti Jones visiting OU this past weekend....

The Consumate Showman
6/12/2006, 11:22 AM
Was reported that Richetti visited OU, officially I think, this weekend (6/9-6/11). Hopefully we put the shine on and convinced him to put on the crimson and cream!!! :) ;)

caphorns
6/12/2006, 11:27 AM
"Unofficial" visit but he was there. RJ is a Texas lock.

(don't dare make me eat those words RJ) ;)

The Consumate Showman
6/12/2006, 01:07 PM
OU loses too many at DE this year and with the possibilities of RJ playing as early as a frosh., the deal might be too good to pass up at OU.

caphorns
6/12/2006, 01:28 PM
OU loses too many at DE this year and with the possibilities of RJ playing as early as a frosh., the deal might be too good to pass up at OU.

Texas is not deep at DE and he'd be in our 2-deep probably from day 1. I actually think OU is deeper in DE talent than Texas.

jccouger
6/13/2006, 12:19 AM
Texas is not deep at DE and he'd be in our 2-deep probably from day 1. I actually think OU is deeper in DE talent than Texas.

This year, but probably not next year.

OUGreg723
6/13/2006, 09:33 AM
We will be mighty slim at DE next year. He'd be silly not come!

TJKDone
6/13/2006, 11:07 AM
We will be mighty slim at DE next year. He'd be silly not come!

I don't like saying it, but I am unconvinced that he is a Texas lock. It is sheer speculation on my part, but I think if he doesn't end up in Austin he'll be in Florida.

OU definitely has a shot.

One of the things I've noticed and been surprised about is that A&M is kicking the Sooner's butts in recruiting texas kids this year. They have some very good commits. I would say they are a good portion ahead of you guys and that is with what could very well be a lame duck coach. It doesn't add up to me.

Hook'em

PlanOUred
6/13/2006, 11:23 AM
I don't know about your statement about A&M kicking OU's butt. OU is a National recruiting power not regional like A&M and TX. Makes a big difference. Also, it is still June.....full player evaluations are not even complete, or they shouldn't be. The HS players still have an ENTIRE senior season to play....and that equates to almost HALF of their development process when playing HS football. I don't think OU has anything to worry about. OU only has about 15 to 17 ships to offer this year, and they are extremely picky when offering ships...especially this early. They are only cherry picking now, and will fill up quickly once they determine who they really want after the senior season evaluation. A team doesn't play in 3 out of the last 6 NC games, produce a Heisman Winner, TWO Heisman runner-ups, and a 3rd place Heisman finalist, two Butkus winners, two Thorpe winners, etc. and not be a FANTASTIC recruiter. Also, they have won 5 out of the last 6 against Texas. So, as you can see from the track record, the OU coaching staff is picking exactly who they want....and being very selective.

snp
6/13/2006, 11:29 AM
I don't like saying it, but I am unconvinced that he is a Texas lock. It is sheer speculation on my part, but I think if he doesn't end up in Austin he'll be in Florida.

OU definitely has a shot.

He was a Texas lean at one point but has since said he's open. Where does Florida come into the picture? I can't see him slipping by OU unless we sign Everson Griffin, which looks doubtful. Where do you get the Florida info?

One of the things I've noticed and been surprised about is that A&M is kicking the Sooner's butts in recruiting texas kids this year. They have some very good commits. I would say they are a good portion ahead of you guys and that is with what could very well be a lame duck coach. It doesn't add up to me.

Hook'em

:rolleyes: What the F are you talking about?

The only guy that we went after and lost out to was Joseph Reese, and he is still planning on taking an offical visit here. And after A&M does terrible in conference, I wouldn't be surprised to see him switch.

We're not getting our butts kicked by A&M with their recruits. A&M was the only offer that a lot of these kids got.

It doesn't add up because you're a moron.

caphorns
6/13/2006, 11:54 AM
I have no idea in what respect ATM is kicking OU's butt in anything football related at this point. That's just a wrong statement.

As for OU having a shot, of course they do. He hasn't committed yet. He's a Dallas kid that seems unaffected by the whole state rivalry part. I'd certainly say Florida is a big long shot. They weren't in his top 4 a week ago, so I'm not sure how they would have snuck into his undisclosed Top 3 from the latest report. About the only thing UF has done so far to land RJ is to go ahead and extend an offer to his step brother. I really don't buy the step-brother bit, but if that's how it goes down, I'd expect both to end up at Okie Lite because OU will not offer one guy just to land another. OU has too few schollys this year to play that game for certain.

I hope RJ's a Texas lock. And that the visit is somewhat a means to appease his folks. But we'll see. Maybe he genuinely doesn't like being reminded of how few schollies Texas has left. And maybe he's sold on Schmitty and the DE U reputation you guys have. Certainly the latter is a decent reason to have some other thoughts here.

BASSooner
6/13/2006, 12:48 PM
None of these guys are really kicking OU's butt...we are limited on scholarship and we are looking carefully to try to get specific quality players

TJKDone
6/13/2006, 05:48 PM
When I said in Florida I meant the state not UF.

It was wrong to state A&M was beating OU head to head for guys. I don't pay enough attention to who both are recruiting. I am just surprised to see the quality of kids that A&M has committed at this point from the state of Texas compared to OU.

Hook'em

The Consumate Showman
6/13/2006, 06:54 PM
I would say that if Richetti waits on his committement unitl, say, November-early December, I think he'll be picking OU. Looking at the quality of our depth at DE this year and the MAMMOTH season that Bird, Thib, Ah You, and Williams should have, I think a guy like Richetti would be EXTREMELY tempted to step to OU, and hell, Everson Griffen may want to team up with him ( highly doubtful ). I think that after he studies what our Defense will be like this year and ponder what the unit may be like in the next couple of years, I don't think he can go wrong with choosing OU.

If he looks to UT, there should be one little thing that would bother him, and that is the HIGH possibility that Chizik will leave after this or next year for a HC job. Not that Venables may do the same, but I think the next big HC job that comes open at a big school should be Chizik's for the taking. He did a great job at Auburn and got the MNC with the whorns. My gut says that OU gets Richetti in the end.

Richetti "Tha Machetti" Jones!

TJKDone
6/13/2006, 06:58 PM
I would say that if Richetti waits on his committement unitl, say, November-early December, I think he'll be picking OU. Looking at the quality of our depth at DE this year and the MAMMOTH season that Bird, Thib, Ah You, and Williams should have, I think a guy like Richetti would be EXTREMELY tempted to step to OU, and hell, Everson Griffen may want to team up with him ( highly doubtful ). I think that after he studies what our Defense will be like this year and ponder what the unit may be like in the next couple of years, I don't think he can go wrong with choosing OU.

If he looks to UT, there should be one little thing that would bother him, and that is the HIGH possibility that Chizik will leave after this or next year for a HC job. Not that Venables may do the same, but I think the next big HC job that comes open at a big school should be Chizik's for the taking. He did a great job at Auburn and got the MNC with the whorns. My gut says that OU gets Richetti in the end.

Richetti "Tha Machetti" Jones!

Interesting theory. I don't think however that we will be at a disadvantage because of the potential departure of Gene C. IMO kids are more affected by a coaching change with the guy that is directly recruiting them.

Hook'em

snp
6/14/2006, 08:36 AM
BTW, he loved his trip up here this weekend.

The Consumate Showman
6/14/2006, 11:47 AM
BTW, he loved his trip up here this weekend.

Yeah, I just read the article myself. He said that OU has a more interesting approach to recruiting than aTm and UT. He basically said that aTm was calling him a lot, the phrase he used was "OU is not PUSHY". RJ might be one of these kids that doesn't like being nagged to death, so here's hoping Stoops and Co. can land this kid.....:)

lufkinaggie07
6/28/2006, 11:26 AM
Alot of the guys we have committed to us may switch depending on our season, if we do badly again Fran may be gone and we'll lose alot of our committs to OU and other schools like LSU.

chbrew09
6/29/2006, 03:22 AM
hang in there

snp
6/29/2006, 07:36 PM
If you're going to be handing out players, we could take Reese off your hands for you.

Desert Sapper
7/12/2006, 01:37 PM
I'm thinking Everson Griffen will play for a Stoops, it just won't be Bob. Let's think. Griffen is from AZ. AZ will look twice as good on D this year as they did last. DE is a traditionally outstanding position for Mike. Griffen goes to Arizona.

I don't know about RJ. I'm hoping he comes to OU. If he does, he could play on one of the most dominant D-Lines in OU history. At least, from the perspective of the recruits we have coming in and the young guys we have in the depth right now, the future looks bright. Who wouldn't want to play in a front four that could net them some eye-popping stats (Sacks, TFL, etc.)? I'm sure Saxet could make an equivalent claim, which gives me some uncertainty about RJ's future LOI.

The Consumate Showman
7/12/2006, 06:29 PM
I have some more certainty about RJ. Can't say why, but I would say don't worry about him...he'll be wearing crimson and cream come spring time...:)

Herr Scholz
7/13/2006, 10:53 AM
I have some more certainty about RJ. Can't say why, but I would say don't worry about him...he'll be wearing crimson and cream come spring time...:)
Do tell. C'mon.

Desert Sapper
7/13/2006, 12:43 PM

If it has anything to do with a hairdresser, a roommate, or a relative, I'm all ears.

caphorns
7/13/2006, 01:24 PM

Ick. Not liking the sound of that. I'm hoping you have bad info, but it's always possible. I've heard everything under the sun on this one. Any of the stuff you are hearing include any current Texas commits in a package? (Please say NO)

The Consumate Showman
7/13/2006, 05:54 PM
Ick. Not liking the sound of that. I'm hoping you have bad info, but it's always possible. I've heard everything under the sun on this one. Any of the stuff you are hearing include any current Texas commits in a package? (Please say NO)

If you're referring to the possibility of Tray Allen jumping ship, no, I haven't heard anyhting on him other than OU is going to make a push at him this year pretty hard and try to get him to decommit.

About Richetti, I know everyone will think I'm full of crap, but I do have a source close to the Jones family that says Richetti will probably make all of his official visits and then later commit.....most likely to OU. All I can say is that he really likes the prospects of playing for a team that is sending a lot of front D-Linemen to the next level and the fact that we have 3 seniors at DE that will graduate is very alluring as well. He could have the opportunity to come in quickly and contribute....that is all for now. After he commits, I'll tell you all what he is saying about the whole recruiting process and what (hopefully, you never know ;) ) made him commit to OU...

caphorns
7/14/2006, 08:53 AM
If you're referring to the possibility of Tray Allen jumping ship, no, I haven't heard anyhting on him other than OU is going to make a push at him this year pretty hard and try to get him to decommit.

About Richetti, I know everyone will think I'm full of crap, but I do have a source close to the Jones family that says Richetti will probably make all of his official visits and then later commit.....most likely to OU. All I can say is that he really likes the prospects of playing for a team that is sending a lot of front D-Linemen to the next level and the fact that we have 3 seniors at DE that will graduate is very alluring as well. He could have the opportunity to come in quickly and contribute....that is all for now. After he commits, I'll tell you all what he is saying about the whole recruiting process and what (hopefully, you never know ;) ) made him commit to OU...

Wish he'd go back to where he started, but there has always been something unsettling to me about the fact that he's taken no follow up visits to Texas. Frankly, I'd also be concerned with how many trips this guy is going to take to Okie Lite. I can't believe in this day and age of the Internet that he hasn't gotten the message that Okie Lite sucks. I guess the only thing is that he certainly wouldn't have to worry about the depth chart there. In fact, he could spend his summers eating twinkies, working on his myspace profile, maybe get arrested a couple of times and still make first team there - if that's what he wants.