PDA

View Full Version : OL Brian Simmons tweaks knee in weight room...out for

The Consumate Showman
6/12/2006, 11:19 AM
an undetermined period of time. Some are saying a couple months, some are saying December. They will be running tests on Brian today so we should know something pretty soon. This is somewhat of a blow to our OL unless we can get one or two of the incoming frosh to step up big....

info via ouinsider...

Didn't see this posted on the first page. :)

Flagstaffsooner
6/12/2006, 11:25 AM
Oh ****, thats all we need.

soonerhubs
6/12/2006, 11:38 AM
I pray he heals well and fast, and that the injury is more minor than expected.

OUGreg723
6/12/2006, 12:25 PM
DANG! Get well soon man! I feel for ya!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/12/2006, 12:30 PM
why does schmidty hate OL? ;) ;) ;)

johnstuff
6/12/2006, 02:31 PM
Ouch. Thats some bad news.

budbarrybob
6/12/2006, 03:46 PM
WTF is a Tweak??? could miss the whole season? Daymn. Glad it wasn't serious - like a pull or sprain. sheesh.

MI Sooner
6/12/2006, 04:13 PM
Or a twist or a strain...

swardboy
6/12/2006, 04:37 PM
Or a ship or a plane...

BASSooner
6/12/2006, 04:41 PM
why does schmidty hate OL? ;) ;) ;)
i think he overreacts when he sees those bellies hangin out over their shorts

Collier11
6/12/2006, 06:58 PM
WTF is a Tweak??? could miss the whole season? Daymn. Glad it wasn't serious - like a pull or sprain. sheesh.

Its kinda the same as when jason white "had a severe knee sprain" but maybe not quite as severe ;)

goingoneight
6/12/2006, 10:29 PM
I guess Athlons is gonna have USC number one now :rolleyes:

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 09:23 AM
To bring up an old topic, Schmitty may be part of the reason the punter Freeby is gone. The punter's brother, who is an attorney in Fort Worth, says Freeby and Schmitty had a falling out about workouts.

But, as long as Stoops is happy with only six or seven OLs to work with each season and questionable JUCO punters, what's the problem? We should all be happy.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2006, 09:37 AM
Freeby looked fat. Too many beers.

tnobis60
6/13/2006, 10:19 AM
there is nothing wrong with a few beers

IronSooner
6/13/2006, 10:36 AM
I'm impressed Schmitty and Freeby knew each other. All I ever saw the punters and kickers do at practice was kick and jack around. Rough life.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 10:51 AM
Well, with Freeby (6'3", 215-220) being as big or bigger than some of our safeties, I'm sure he was in the weight room more than your average punter, just not as much as Schmitty wanted. If the JUCO punter gives us a season long reprise of his spring performance, just remember Schmitty possibly having a hand in running off the bigger, stronger punter because he would not let him just "kick and jack around", as you put it.

The VIIIth
6/13/2006, 02:17 PM
I just "heard" that Simmons MRI results were back...and please take this with a grain of salt, but the word is that 6-8 months for full recovery.

Damn it to hell if this is the case.

NormanPride
6/13/2006, 04:37 PM
I heard a chipped kneecap, but I won't trust it until OU actually comes out and says "The results of the MRI were..."

The VIIIth
6/13/2006, 05:08 PM
I heard a chipped kneecap, but I won't trust it until OU actually comes out and says "The results of the MRI were..."

That's great advice...I sure hope the initial reports are wrong...what are the ramifications of a chipped kneecap? Recovery time etc...

The Consumate Showman
6/13/2006, 06:59 PM
I don't know about a chipped knee cap, but I broke my knee cap in half when I was 13 and I actually ran around on the thing for a week before seeing a doctor. I was only out for 6 weeks and then another 3 before I was allowed to play basketball for our junior high team, now I know that's different than a 21 year old football player, bu that's all I've got...

The Consumate Showman
7/19/2006, 10:05 PM
Just a quick update on Brian.

He is still out with a twisted and sore knee and it looks like he is going to miss about the first three to five games, but should be able to return to the team if we need him to in mid-season. The problem is that he is missing valuable development time in learning all of the idiosyncracies of the OL position since he was a DL to begin. Obviously, I would suppose if our line is in good shape, he will sit out and get a medical red shirt if he wants (I'm assuming here???).

goingoneight
7/19/2006, 10:08 PM
One more linebacker for AD to run over, I guess.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/19/2006, 10:38 PM
I always heard Freeby had more of a partying problem that "Bob" didn't appreciate?

mildpussy
7/19/2006, 10:46 PM
just give simmons some soccer spray and get him back to work - i think schmitty is going soft on us

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/40429

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1042&pcount=&Product_Id=243144

apropos of nothing/something, perhaps for freeby schmitty could have used george carlin's famous feminine hygiene spray (called sprunt)

LoyalFan
7/20/2006, 01:29 AM
Or a ship or a plane...

Now that's just inane.

Luthor
7/20/2006, 08:20 AM

A chipped knee cap...in the weight room? You guys must have some helluh workout regimen.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 08:35 AM
Well there is a reason Pro Personel say our players come in prepared to play and horn players come in ready to finish that twinkie they already started

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2006, 08:50 AM
To bring up an old topic, Schmitty may be part of the reason the punter Freeby is gone. The punter's brother, who is an attorney in Fort Worth, says Freeby and Schmitty had a falling out about workouts.

But, as long as Stoops is happy with only six or seven OLs to work with each season and questionable JUCO punters, what's the problem? We should all be happy.

Yeah, cause when people leave a program, they always own up to the problem. No, they blame other people. NO ONE knows why he left, I don't care what his brother said. He's his brother for crying out loud. What's he gonna say? "My brother partied too much and got kicked off the team."?

PAW
7/20/2006, 09:45 AM
Well, crap. :(

Tear Down This Wall
7/20/2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, cause when people leave a program, they always own up to the problem. No, they blame other people. NO ONE knows why he left, I don't care what his brother said. He's his brother for crying out loud. What's he gonna say? "My brother partied too much and got kicked off the team."?

Yes. His brother has nothing to lose by saying anything or nothing at all. Also, he wouldn't be the first (SEE long line of OLs to leave) to get cross with Schmidt over workouts.

But, as long as they're happy with Knall's 30 to 35 yard punts and he's in the weightroom everytime Schmidt wants him there (whether or not school is in session), we should be happy, too.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 11:02 AM
Do you honestly think the RB's, WR's, OL's, DL's, LB's, DB's, and K's are all doing the same workout routines. If they are all doing the same workouts, how come after a spring of working out a s WR, Paul Thompson's body type has totally changed....It wouldn't have changed if he was doing the same workout program as the OL

GottaHavePride
7/20/2006, 11:04 AM
how come after a spring of working out a s WR, Paul Thompson's body type has totally changed....It wouldn't have changed if he was doing the same workout program as the OL

I dunno, I think I would count PT starting to look like an OL as a change. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 11:09 AM
heh what i meant was that if the whole team is under the same demands workout wise, a position change shouldn't change them physically. ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2006, 11:28 AM
Yes. His brother has nothing to lose by saying anything or nothing at all. Also, he wouldn't be the first (SEE long line of OLs to leave) to get cross with Schmidt over workouts.

But, as long as they're happy with Knall's 30 to 35 yard punts and he's in the weight room every time Schmidt wants him there (whether or not school is in session), we should be happy, too.

What I was saying is that his brother is going to say what ever he was told, not necessarily what really happened.

If my brother comes home from playing football at OU and I asked what happened and he says "The Strength coach is a total prick and blah blah blah." When people start poking around asking "why did your brother just leave OU", I'm gonna defend him with what he told me.

Statalyzer
7/20/2006, 12:12 PM
He is still out with a twisted and sore knee and it looks like he is going to miss about the first three to five games, but should be able to return to the team if we need him to in mid-season.

I hope he gets back in time for the Red River War. No excuses either way, I want to see both teams as healthy as possible. It's never good when a guy gets hurt no matter who he plays for.

MikeInNorman
7/20/2006, 04:01 PM

Partying too much and having run-ins with Schmidt are not incompatible reasons; in fact, they go together like enchiladas and cheese.

MikeInNorman
7/20/2006, 04:10 PM
Do you honestly think the RB's, WR's, OL's, DL's, LB's, DB's, and K's are all doing the same workout routines. If they are all doing the same workouts, how come after a spring of working out a s WR, Paul Thompson's body type has totally changed....It wouldn't have changed if he was doing the same workout program as the OL

Sadly, the routines are very similar. A certain former OL coach very close to the program told me that one of our problems with retaining OL and keeping OL healthy was Schmidt's refusal to alter any aspect of his program to treat OL differently than DBs or WRs. This creates a conflict with many of our OL, as the difficult regimen is more suited for very athletic OL, in the smallish 280-295 lb range, and is very difficult for the really big OL, the 320+ guys. Offensively, we have waffled on what size OL we want, but Scmidt's program makes the point moot, with occasional exceptions. Bob Stoops obviously has a high degree of confidence in Schmidt, so this must be what he intends.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 11:43 AM
I'm impressed Schmitty and Freeby knew each other. All I ever saw the punters and kickers do at practice was kick and jack around. Rough life.

Seriously. Did they ever even wear pads?

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2006, 01:02 PM
Well look at Duke, Branndon, and Jammal Brown as examples. Those guys were 380 to 400 pounds and were not great offensive linemen. But after seeing Duke and Branndon after working all summer the way Schmidt wanted them too, they are down in that 320 range and they went from NFL projects to people that contribute their first year in the league...which means they make more money. I think that if Duke and Branndon can become All-American types...it will end up being like Nebraska in the 90's where lots of linemen won't come because they know they won't work like the OU line, but the ones that do come will be amazing.

Rhino
7/21/2006, 03:39 PM
Well look at Duke, Branndon, and Jammal Brown as examples. Those guys were 380 to 400 pounds and were not great offensive linemen. But after seeing Duke and Branndon after working all summer the way Schmidt wanted them too, they are down in that 320 range and they went from NFL projects to people that contribute their first year in the league...which means they make more money. I think that if Duke and Branndon can become All-American types...it will end up being like Nebraska in the 90's where lots of linemen won't come because they know they won't work like the OU line, but the ones that do come will be amazing. Duke may have made it up to 380. Branndon made it up to 360. I don't think Jammal ever broke 315.

Soonerman08
7/21/2006, 04:26 PM
Sadly, the routines are very similar. A certain former OL coach very close to the program told me that one of our problems with retaining OL and keeping OL healthy was Schmidt's refusal to alter any aspect of his program to treat OL differently than DBs or WRs. This creates a conflict with many of our OL, as the difficult regimen is more suited for very athletic OL, in the smallish 280-295 lb range, and is very difficult for the really big OL, the 320+ guys. Offensively, we have waffled on what size OL we want, but Scmidt's program makes the point moot, with occasional exceptions. Bob Stoops obviously has a high degree of confidence in Schmidt, so this must be what he intends.

That's just ridiculous. Did any of you all ever think the reason why so many O-Lineman leave is pure and simple laziness? Sure Schmidtty's workouts are tough, but it's called working out! Getting in shape and having the mental and physical toughness to go all game. We're not going to trot out people who half *** it. The reason why last years O-Line sucked was because they had a weak offseason and weren't obeying Schmitty's workout policies. Stoops himself said that they all had that mentality and they were expecting to win just because they are the Oklahoma Sooners. It doesn't work that way, they need to have the drive and the want to win. Something we seemed to pick back up towards the end of last year. This team has been tested in that aspect.....if you don't work for it you won't get it. That's why I see this group of guys as having the mentality to win it all either this year or next.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2006, 04:57 PM
Well Jammal looked fatter before ole Schmiddy got here at the very least ;) I was actually thinking of Stockar McDougle :p But he was big always.

RedstickSooner
7/21/2006, 05:59 PM
A chipped knee cap...in the weight room? You guys must have some hula workout regimen.

Yep. The hula workout was a bad choice, in my book. Nobody should gyrate like that while holding freeweights up over their head.

An accident like this was just a matter of time.