PDA

View Full Version : if you are a steelers fan...big ben was in a motorcycle wreck

Hatfield
6/12/2006, 11:12 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said.

According to the Tribune-Review's Web site, the accident happened on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge.

Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet, according to the paper.

Police have closed down the bridge, Second Avenue and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger was taken to Mercy Hospital. There is no word on the extent of his injuries.

Refresh this page for updates as they become available.

mrowl
6/12/2006, 11:16 AM
so if you are not a steelers fan... big ben was not in a wreck?

Hatfield
6/12/2006, 11:16 AM
that is correct.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2006, 11:19 AM
Little more info.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Monday morning.

The Steelers confirmed the accident for Channel 4 Action News.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said the accident happened on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge.

A witness told Channel 4 Action News that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle and then hit the ground.

Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet, according to the paper.

Police have closed down the bridge, Second Avenue and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger was taken to Mercy Hospital. There is no word on the extent of his injuries.

Refresh this page for updates as they become available

mrowl
6/12/2006, 11:20 AM
damn.... that is not good.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 11:21 AM
sounds like it may be a significant injury. Even though I hate the Steelers, best wishes for big Ben.

oumartin
6/12/2006, 11:26 AM
lets see, Kellen Winslow wrecks a bike and he's an idiot.. Ben Wrecks and he's a what?

Hatfield
6/12/2006, 11:28 AM
kellen wrecked while being a jackass on a bike there is a difference.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 11:29 AM
lets see, Kellen Winslow wrecks a bike and he's an idiot.. Ben Wrecks and he's a what?

Winslow was an idiot before the wreck.

oumartin
6/12/2006, 11:30 AM
true but people were all over him for riding a motorcycle.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2006, 11:30 AM
THere are three articles under the story about him and his motorcycle. People warning him not to ride it and to wear a helmet.

oops.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 11:33 AM
true but people were all over him for riding a motorcycle.

martin - I'd be willing to bet as a kid you rode your bike a lot without a helmet, and took some nasty spills resulting in trauma to your noggin. ;)

mrowl
6/12/2006, 11:33 AM

how do you know big ben wasn't being an idiot?

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 11:35 AM
how do you know big ben wasn't being an idiot?
He was riding on a main street WITHOUT A HELMET...He WAS being an idiot.

Hatfield
6/12/2006, 11:35 AM
i just know he wasn't in a parking lot doing wheelies and acting like the icy hot stuntaz.

and some more info....this doesn't sound good at all.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=NFL&id=1181

He wasn't wearing a helmet and the eyewitness claimed Roethlisberger was reportedly bleeding "profusely" from the head. Bill Cowher famously advised Roethlisberger to start wearing a helmet after Kellen Winslow's accident last year. An eyewitness told Pittsburgh television that Roethlisberger flew over the handle bars head first into the car's windshield his motorcycle struck. He was conscious after the accident.

oumartin
6/12/2006, 11:37 AM
I've put a sports bike under a car before.. not fun.
my stupidity came from me hitting the wall during basketball practice.. that one knocked me out cold.

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 11:38 AM
But to be fair, let's put aside the idiotic part of him not wearing a helmet and look at the differences between his and Winslow's incidents:

Winslow: In a parking lot doing wheelies and trying to be a bad a**, wrecks his bike.

Ben: Riding his motorcycle down the road, probably going somewhere, not trying to be a bad a**, gets in a wreck.

Winslow was being an a** and had already been told not to be doing stupid s*** like that. Ben was just out going somewhere (assuming this part of course - but there hasn't been anything said about him trying to do wheelies and stuff) and got into a wreck.

Regardless, riding on a main road without a helmet is a little dumb.

Beef
6/12/2006, 11:39 AM
There was an ad for a Yamaha motorcycle next to the article on ESPN.com. Heh

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 11:39 AM
Head injuries always bleed a lot. Hopefully it's from cuts.

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 11:40 AM
Some good news:

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports Ben Roethlisberger's injuries are not life threatening.
We'll continue to update Roethlisberger's status as news warrants.
Source: ESPN.com

White House Boy
6/12/2006, 11:48 AM
Kellen Winslow was an idiot waaaaaaaaay before he wrecked his big wheel.

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 11:57 AM
I bet it cost his ***. Most contracts say no motorcycles.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/12/2006, 12:16 PM

Riding a motorcycle WITHOUT a helmet = jackass in my opinion. Just sayin'

Taxman71
6/12/2006, 12:16 PM
I don't have a street bike b/c I know I would die on it. Now if I was a young millionaire reigning SB QB winner, I guarantee you I would not be on a street bike.

Can't these guys afford a few acres in the countryside and just ride on their own dirtbike track? Leave the pavement for the $250k sportscars.

Taxman71
6/12/2006, 12:17 PM
I bet it cost his ***. Most contracts say no motorcycles.

I belive Ron Gant found that out the hardway a few years back.

BeetDigger
6/12/2006, 12:35 PM
As the saying goes, Airplanes are safer than cars, motorcylcles are almost as safe as helicopters.

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 12:47 PM
Can't these guys afford a few acres in the countryside and just ride on their own dirtbike track? Leave the pavement for the $250k sportscars.
So they can wreck there and just lay there and die before anyone finds them?

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2006, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine was killed in similar circumstances a few months ago. I still don't know if he was wearing a helmet or not.

And BTW, Kellen was an idiot because he was trying to do wheelies in the parking lot of the motorcycle shop he had just purchased his bike from.

From what it looks like, Ben had a green light at an intersect, went and somebody pulled out in front of him.

To be sure, I think it's idiotic for anyone to ride without a helmet. But there's a difference between how Kellen Winslow Jr. was hurt and how Big Ben was hurt.

Taxman71
6/12/2006, 01:43 PM
A friend of mine was killed in similar circumstances a few months ago. I still don't know if he was wearing a helmet or not.

And BTW, Kellen was an idiot because he was trying to do wheelies in the parking lot of the motorcycle shop he had just purchased his bike from.

From what it looks like, Ben had a green light at an intersect, went and somebody pulled out in front of him.

To be sure, I think it's idiotic for anyone to ride without a helmet. But there's a difference between how Kellen Winslow Jr. was hurt and how Big Ben was hurt.

That's my point. If you ride on dirttrack, you don't have to worry about other cars. It seems other cars are involved in the overwhelming majority of serious motorcycle crashes. You can always wipe out on a jump or berm with a dirtbike, but you won't get t-boned by someone running a red light.

soonerbrat
6/12/2006, 01:58 PM
so you think riding motocross is less dangerous? just because there are no cars around? .

hurricane'bone
6/12/2006, 02:02 PM
Apparently its a broken jaw...Big Ben in surgery

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 02:02 PM
so you think riding motocross is less dangerous? just because there are no cars around? .

I don't have the stats, but I'd guess you have less chance of a SERIOUS injury riding motocross.

Taxman71
6/12/2006, 02:28 PM

I didn't say competitive motocross, just general dirtbiking. I've seen more than one bone sticking out of the skin in competitive racing, but that beats death or brain damage.

BeetDigger
6/12/2006, 02:28 PM
It just seems like a dumb thing to do, regardless of how much protection you wear.

I remember years ago, during the NBA playoffs, George Gervin for the Spurs injured his hand while deep frying fish. He had bad burns to his hands. There just seems to me to be risks that are worth taking and risks that are over-the-top dumb.