PDA

View Full Version : Those crazy Aggies

Sooner in Tampa
6/12/2006, 06:10 AM
Stillwater, OK (Reuters) - Hundreds of nude cyclists pedaled around the city of Stillwater on Saturday to protest against car-clogged streets and demand greater respect for pollution-free transport.
With slogans like "one car less" and "bio methanol" painted on their backs, the naked cyclists staged Stillwater's third annual Ciclonudista or "Nudecycle" in Madrid, Barcelona and Oklahoma.
The protest was part of world-wide naked bike riding events on Saturday across Europe, North America and South America.
"We feel naked when up against traffic because people don't see the bicycle as just another means of transport," said Tulsa cyclist Bikerfox, wearing only a cycle helmet and shoes. :(

Towing cardboard cars with gaping jaws, protesters said the rapid rise of automobile ownership in Stillwater was turning city streets into ever more hostile and dangerous cycling territory.
Organizers said the bicycle was a healthy and efficient form of urban transport that is largely ignored by Stillwater drivers and city planners.
Central Oklahoma has few bike paths and cyclists are a rarity on its streets. Norman has the most bike paths of any Oklahoma city, according to cycling activists.
Per capita car ownership has rocketed in Stillwater after a decade of strong agricultural growth.

The REAL story (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-06-10T184014Z_01_L1075648_RTRUKOC_0_US-SPAIN-PROTEST-NUDE.xml&src=rss). :)

Okla-homey
6/12/2006, 06:21 AM
If that had actually happened in Stoolwater, I bet Bikerfox would have been so there. Just saying.

bri
6/12/2006, 07:11 AM
Dammit, I was SO hoping that was real. I had a cruel "why can't Eddie be running late for a commuter flight when you NEED him?" joke all cued up and everything...:D

Sooner_Bob
6/12/2006, 07:16 AM
I'm sooo glad that didn't actually happen up here . . . I'm also happy that I can now access SF.com from work again. :D

bri
6/12/2006, 07:19 AM
Yeah, your day WOULD be sucking pretty bad if you had to see a gaggle of nekkid aggy on bikes while driving to work, and then not be able to access the frothy innerweb goodness of SF.com to boot. :D

OU4LIFE
6/12/2006, 07:21 AM
frothy innerweb goodness....

awwww yeaaahhhh.

Sooner_Bob
6/12/2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah, your day WOULD be sucking pretty bad if you had to see a gaggle of nekkid aggy on bikes while driving to work, and then not be able to access the frothy innerweb goodness of SF.com to boot. :D

It was blocked for a while and I just gave up checking about access. Then today I cross my fingers and hope with all hope and BAM! finally, the frothy innerweb goodness of SF.com has come back to Bob.

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2006, 07:30 AM
I read yesterday that Aggie is hosting the concrete canoe race this year.
I keep thinking of all kinds of jokes.

OTOH, there was article in the Sooner Magazine a couple years ago with my son's roommate's team featured. Nice pictures too. http://www.oufoundation.org/sm/winter2004/story.asp?ID=98

bri
6/12/2006, 07:33 AM
Heh.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/archives/vol23/vol23_iss10/14c.gif

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!

Sooner in Tampa
5/16/2011, 07:55 AM
I read yesterday that Aggie is hosting the concrete canoe race this year.
I keep thinking of all kinds of jokes.

:eek: