PDA

View Full Version : Let U.S. Open week begin!

SoonerAcesUp
6/12/2006, 12:30 AM
One of my favorite weeks of the year! Sounds like the USGA has a brutal set-up ready for the field. With Tiger having not played in a long while, who is the favorite or is he still the favorite. I'm not betting against him since this is father's day weekend. Can't wait for it to get started but I wish I was going to be there.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 12:35 AM
Pffff. I'm in World Cup mode.

noleamite
6/12/2006, 12:37 AM
I'd put my money on Phil..if i had to bet.

walkoffsooner
6/12/2006, 04:55 AM
I enjoy it every year.

sooneron
6/12/2006, 07:39 AM
My Dad and I will be there on moving day! Awww yeah!

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 08:48 AM
This will be the 2nd major I've missed this year on account of being out of town. :mad:

I guess I won't get to hear Johnny Miller ****ing off the players. :D

Fugue
6/12/2006, 08:52 AM
This will be the 2nd major I've missed this year on account of being out of town. :mad:

I guess I won't get to hear Johnny Miller ****ing off the players. :D

that's right, don't you have a hurricane to go play in?

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 09:00 AM
that's right, don't you have a hurricane to go play in?

Tropical Storm, but yeah. :D

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 09:00 AM
This just sets up too perfectly for Tiger not to win. Fathers day and all with Earl recently passing away.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 08:44 PM
If I had to pick one guy, I'd pick Tiger.

That being said, I'll guess that one of the big guns will not win. It will be a surprise kind of like Campbell winning last year.

sooneron
6/13/2006, 09:00 AM
It will take a long hitter. the dealio is, if the weather stays the way it looks like it will be, the greens will be tough to hold. Seeing as how the usga let the greens go to suck in 04 (Shinnecock).
I may actually root for Eldrick this time around, but I don't know if his head is in it all the way to kick *** for four rounds. I think a score of around -3/4 wins it, due to the probability of some gusty days in the forecast. That alone, means it will take someone that can manage well, shape shots into small greens and hit it fairly long. I still think Phil will be top 5-8.

walkoffsooner
6/13/2006, 09:15 AM
Maybe Earl will appear as a rainbow.Like Davis loves dad did.Oh wait he will appear as a black cloud.:D

sooneron
6/13/2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe Earl will appear as a rainbow.Like Davis loves dad did.Oh wait he will appear as a black cloud.:D
oooooohhhh! dirty pool!

It could happen, same course.

Newbomb Turk
6/13/2006, 11:16 AM
the greens will be tough to hold. Seeing as how the usga let the greens go to suck in 04 (Shinnecock).

I hope the USGA learned their lesson there. Fast greens are one thing, but hitting a 3 foot putt and having it go 15 feet by the hole is a joke. I'd rather see really nasty long rough that penalizes a bad tee shot than lightning fast green that won't hold a good iron shot from the fairway.

I also like what Jack did at the Memorial. Raked the bunkers so they had deep furoughs (sp). Those guys were bitching because they coudn't control the ball out of the bunker. IT'S A FREEKIN HAZARD!

picasso
6/13/2006, 11:22 AM
my cousin missed qualifying in St. Louis by 2 strokes.

I'll take Eldrick for $500 Alex.

sooneron
6/13/2006, 01:59 PM
I hope the USGA learned their lesson there. Fast greens are one thing, but hitting a 3 foot putt and having it go 15 feet by the hole is a joke. I'd rather see really nasty long rough that penalizes a bad tee shot than lightning fast green that won't hold a good iron shot from the fairway.

I also like what Jack did at the Memorial. Raked the bunkers so they had deep furoughs (sp). Those guys were bitching because they coudn't control the ball out of the bunker. IT'S A FREEKIN HAZARD!
I agree, traps are supposed to be something of a penalty, not a gimme if you have 20 feet of green to work with.

I could hear the green crunching under the guys' spikes at Shinnecock. One thing that's good is that Winged Foot isn't as wind swept as Eastern LI.

Mjcpr
6/13/2006, 02:05 PM
Tiger for me too.

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 02:09 PM
I agree, traps are supposed to be something of a penalty, not a gimme if you have 20 feet of green to work with.

I could hear the green crunching under the guys' spikes at Shinnecock. One thing that's good is that Winged Foot isn't as wind swept as Eastern LI.

not just even a gimme but kind of a bail-out spot when the green complexes (like at a Major) have spots where you just aren't going to get it up and down without making a 15-20 footer. player si thinking, if i'm gonna miss...then i miss on the bunker side....or i shoot at a pin if my penalty is a bunker and not in the 30 foot swale that channels balls into deadsville.

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 02:10 PM
man, the pics during the majors are always so boring.....why not go out on a limb?!

:D

Jiim Furyk, Chad Cambell, Adam Scott, Shingo Katayama

sooneron
6/13/2006, 09:47 PM
man, the pics during the majors are always so boring.....why not go out on a limb?!

:D

Jiim Furyk, Chad Cambell, Adam Scott, Shingo Katayama
I could see Scott doing well. I don't think you're going out on a limb with Furyk, unless he's been gimpy of late.

I don't think that Shingo has the distance. Plus, I'm a Shigeki fan.
If Luke Donald can get it going early, I like his chances.

dolemitesooner
6/13/2006, 09:50 PM
I pick tiger

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 09:50 PM
I could see Scott doing well. I don't think you're going out on a limb with Furyk, unless he's been gimpy of late.

I don't think that Shingo has the distance. Plus, I'm a Shigeki fan.
If Luke Donald can get it going early, I like his chances.

i like Shigeki too...but, Shingo is my guy. he warms up hitting 3 irons lefthanded with one arm.

i think the good iron players will score well.

sooneron
6/13/2006, 09:53 PM
i like Shigeki too...but, Shingo is my guy. he warms up hitting 3 irons lefthanded with one arm.

i think the good iron players will score well.
It will take a hell of a striker to do it. That's why Phil is still my top pick with some of the young'uns as surprises, he can shape the ball better than most. Is your Dad out here yet? Any word from him on the course condition?
The weather has been beautiful the past few days with some soaking rain late last week. Chance of rain tomorrow afternooon/night.

walkoffsooner
6/13/2006, 09:54 PM
Tiger

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 10:01 PM
havne't heard anything from the pops. he's on vacation there though. there's usually an afternoon USGA meeting on Tuesday where they take officials and the camera people around the course and point out local rules type stuff and crowd flood control issues (where they come into play)...and drop zones and such.

sooneron
6/13/2006, 10:05 PM
havne't heard anything from the pops. he's on vacation there though. there's usually an afternoon USGA meeting on Tuesday where they take officials and the camera people around the course and point out local rules type stuff and crowd flood control issues (where they come into play)...and drop zones and such.
Tell him to go to the Rye Grill. Yummy! He probably already knows about it, though.

IB4OU2
6/13/2006, 10:09 PM
Rocco Mediate....:D

sooneron
6/14/2006, 09:22 AM
Rocco Mediate....:D
That would be sweet, but he always botches it on the weekend.:(