PDA

View Full Version : Coffee lovers: Give props to Pope Clement VIII

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 02:08 PM
Born in 1536 in Fano, Ippolito Aldobrandini hailed from a distinguished Florentine family. Elevated to the papacy in 1592, His Holiness Clement VIII made coffee legit in the western world.

Believing it was the drink of the devil, invented by Satan for the Muslim infidels as a substitute for the wine they were forbidden to drink, some priests attacked it and forbade its consumption. They reasoned that since wine in the Western Christian world was sanctified by Christ and used in Holy Communion, coffee must then be of the anti-Christ.

Pope Clement VIII settled the dispute. He asked that the brew be brought before him. Intrigued by its powerful aroma, he sipped the coffee and found it to be delicious. The Pope blessed it on the spot, saying, "Coffee is so delicious it would be a pity to let the infidels have exclusive use of it." With the Pope's blessing, imports of coffee to Italy and the Western world came flooding in, paving the way for the first western coffee houses.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9017/clem86dx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Clement VIII, he appreciated a good cup of Joe.

MamaMia
6/11/2006, 02:11 PM
God bless Pope Clement. :)

lefty
6/11/2006, 03:05 PM
See guys. Organized religion ain't all bad.;)

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 05:23 PM
That is some tremendously useless information. I LIKES it. :D

OCUDad
6/11/2006, 05:28 PM
My morning coffee borders on a religious experience, so I thank Clement VIII for doing his part. What's the correct way to give Clem his props? Yay, Pope?

Tailwind
6/11/2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks to the Pope. I toast him with my first morning cup, now and forevermore.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, but it took Italians to invent espresso. Also known as very fast coffee.

Tailwind
6/11/2006, 06:07 PM
I can't take that espresso stuff....way too much caffeine. I used to love those chocolate covered coffee beans, too, but they amped me up too much. :D

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not crazy for espresso straight, but a cappuccino is freaking awesome.

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but it took Italians to invent espresso. Also known as very fast coffee.

Oh yeah, well where do you think a d00d named Ippolito Aldobrandini was from? Ireland? Musicians. sheesh. ;)

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 07:31 PM
My morning coffee borders on a religious experience, so I thank Clement VIII for doing his part. What's the correct way to give Clem his props? Yay, Pope?
Heh. I loves me my morning cup!

picasso
6/11/2006, 08:16 PM
sincerely,

Deron Spoo

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 08:52 PM
Oh yeah, well where do you think a d00d named Ippolito Aldobrandini was from? Ireland? Musicians. sheesh. ;)

:D

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 10:46 PM
sincerely,

Deron Spoo

That joke about the three clergymen trying to convert a bear was a hoot too.

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 10:49 PM
Replaced rum with coffee. As usual the US Army is 250 years behind the times. ;)
(That 1930s mess kit did not die until the 80s.)

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/historyweek/Coffee_in_Rations.jpg

I've seen military operations nearly grind to a halt when the dip and coffee ran out. Seriously. Private Snuffy will attempt just about anything you ask as long as he's got his tobacco and caffiene. Its been that way since the Civil War.