PDA

View Full Version : Movie review: "Cars"

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 08:24 AM
Yes, I admit it. Mrs Homey and I are "Pixar" fans. We went to see it yesterday afternoon. We were'nt even the only couple who went sans kiddo.

I must say, it was rippin' good. At times laugh-out-loud funny, poignant and inspirational.

I must also say there were times it was practically impossible to believe the scenery was computer generated.

I predict this thing is going to be HUGE. I also predict the marketing of "Cars" stuff will be equally huge. Heck, I want a die-cast model of "Mater" myself.

That is all.

P.S. There is even a tramp stamp joke in there.

StoopTroup
6/11/2006, 08:52 AM
Homey...

My Brother and me took my boy and our Nephew. They gave out the Cars cards at the window when you bought a ticket. There was a free Icee from Target inside...plus...all the toys you could buy from the movie.

I'll be out at least $50 because of that.

Good Movie.

My boy is in there playing with the cards right now. I think he might have took them to bed with him.

crawfish
6/11/2006, 09:53 AM
It was kinda slow at times, but a good flick. The only thing that ruined it was the woman three seats away who had to repeat every gag out loud and then cackle like the Looney Tunes witch. :mad:

Agree with Homey...that scene of the drive through the mountains was breathtaking. I'm utterly amazed at what they can pull off these days.

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 12:45 PM
One more general observation, from our pastor this morning. The film does a great job of teaching both the young and old, "you can't do life alone."

noleamite
6/11/2006, 01:01 PM
have to check this one out.

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 02:26 PM
"Larry the Cable Guy" sort of makes up for the dismal failure of his "Health Inspector" flick.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2290/larrythecableguy17gp.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jerk
6/11/2006, 03:41 PM
any big trucks?

Okla-homey
6/11/2006, 03:54 PM
any big trucks?

sure. The main character's hauler plays an important role. He's a Mack. There's also a Peterbilt with a speaking role.

Rogue
6/11/2006, 08:44 PM
Man I'm jones'n to see this movie.

etouffee
6/11/2006, 08:55 PM
We saw it this afternoon. The adults thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a a group of 5 kids, aged 3 to 5, and they all enjoyed it but they all also got a little bored at times. And if you've ever had a bored 3 year old at the movies with you, you know that's not a good thing.

My recommendation would be see it but don't bring kids under 7 or 8 or they're going to get restless.

Big Red Ron
6/11/2006, 08:59 PM
Took my eleven year old tonight and really thought there were some valuable lessons learned. Don't judge a book by it's cover, just because something's old..., winning isn't everything, stop and smell the roses, etc... I thought it was the best Pixar film evar.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 09:00 PM
Better than The Incredibles? I don't know if I believe that.

Big Red Ron
6/11/2006, 09:04 PM
Better than The Incredibles? I don't know if I believe that.Way.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 09:06 PM
No way!

Big Red Ron
6/11/2006, 09:07 PM
No way!Way!:D

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 09:08 PM
;)

etouffee
6/11/2006, 09:10 PM
Definitely better than The Incredibles, but I don't know if it's the best pixar evar.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/11/2006, 09:16 PM
Haven't seen cars, but since Incredibles came out, I thought it was the best pixar movie of all time.

TS2 was also really really really good, but Incredibles was just perfect.

Here's how I'd rank them (having not seen Cars)

1. Incredibles
2. Toy Story 2
3. Toy Story
4. Nemo
5. Monsters Inc
6. Bug's Life

And I give Bug's Life 3 stars, so the rest are still very good.

Big Red Ron
6/11/2006, 09:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, The Incedibles is right there. A solid numba two or as the political correct TV guy would say 1b. :D

frankensooner
6/12/2006, 09:54 AM
I took the whole clan to see it on Friday night. The movie was good, however, the crowd was very strange. Lots of singles and some couples that looked like they were the folks who came in character to the Lord of the Rings or Star Wars premiers.

My wife took our youngest daughter and moved as the asphat couple behind us let their two-year-old grab our rocking seat (Harkins) and shake them, not to mention talking loudly and being a general nuisance. I gave them the look of death, which finally resulted in the dad getting up and standing next to my seat holding the little ankle biter in his arms. (he also cackled like a witch at the funny parts and he looked like a short-bus rider)

I refused to take my kids to the movies until they were 1) potty-trained 2) able to sit through a movie 3) able to keep their little traps shut.
I still try to take them to pre-six p.m. movie showings. I guess lots of people are ignoramuses.

The movie was beautiful and fun, so go see it.

NormanPride
6/12/2006, 10:15 AM
I really liked Monsters, Inc... I have to admit I frequently "had something in my eye" towards the end... :O

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 10:16 AM
I refused to take my kids to the movies until they were 1) potty-trained 2) able to sit through a movie 3) able to keep their little traps shut.
I still try to take them to pre-six p.m. movie showings. I guess lots of people are ignoramuses.

The movie was beautiful and fun, so go see it.

You sir, are good people.

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 10:24 AM
I had a feeling this one would be a box office hit...The merchandise for it was selling like crazy before the movie even came out. I'm waiting to go see this one (my wife has always loved Garfield so we're hoping they'll do a Garfield/Cars double feature at the drive-in next week). Compare this one to Finding Nemo (as this was another monster Pixar flick)...

Is Cars > Finding Nemo?

BeetDigger
6/12/2006, 10:27 AM
I can't wait to see Cars with the kids. I took the girl to see Incredibles. I did not think it was as good as some of the othe Pixar movies. I know, I will probably be baned for that remark. It was better than most anything that Disney has put out however.

Pixar is the master of great scenes, perfect voice matching and good stories.

etouffee
6/12/2006, 10:30 AM
Is Cars > Finding Nemo?In what respect? As far as entertainment value, it's better than Nemo for the grownups, worse for the younger kids. A lot more grownup dialogue and pop culture references in Cars. And the action slows down and gives way to plot building for a large portion of the middle of the movie, making the little ones get restless, whereas Nemo keeps a good pace throughout.

frankensooner
6/12/2006, 10:37 AM
From the ads, it appears they are stereotyping buck toothed crackers as shiffless, lazy dumba$$es.
Are you kidding, Mater was one of the hardest working charcters in the show, plus he made my 4 year-old laugh his fool head off.

Osce0la
6/12/2006, 10:48 AM
From the ads, it appears they are stereotyping buck toothed crackers as shiffless, lazy dumba$$es.
What's wrong with that? ;)

White House Boy
6/12/2006, 11:12 AM
I like crackers... especially Ritz with a gob of Jif on 'em.

etouffee
6/12/2006, 11:13 AM
with a gob of Jiff on 'em.boy, it's easy to mis-read that one. :eek:

White House Boy
6/12/2006, 11:42 AM
boy, it's easy to mis-read that one. :eek:
Only if you have a dirty mind. ;)