PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have kids that play competitive baseball?

tulsaoilerfan
6/10/2006, 02:22 PM
How do you deal with a team that has imploded? My son's team has lost 3 players in the last week, and a 4th is playing with another team this weekend and we are not sure about him; we are playing on playing in a State Tournament in BA in 2 weekends even if we have to pick up more players, and it just amazes me that the parents would do this to a team right before a big tournament; i should add that our record is 19-20, but we are playing in a very good league against 4 teams that are classified above us, so we have taken our lumps there; however, we have come in 2nd in 3 different tourneys against teams on or below our level, and 4th in another one just last weekend that included is losing our first game, then winning 3 on saturday just to make it to Sunday; i just hate to see parents do kids and other parents this way.

BajaOklahoma
6/10/2006, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the world of competitive youth sports.
This applies to all sports.
Honesty (both the parents & coaches), responsibilty and honor are not part of the makeup in many teams. Sad.

Our team parents were pretty good over the yearsl. We tried to choose kids with good parents - and bad parents would result in not being chosen for the team.
By the time my daughter graduated from high school, there were 7 girls left from the original 13. And they played in one of the top leagues in the country for every year except one. Good friends, good memories.

You now have the opportunity to decide how you want your child to spend the next few years. Choose wisely. And avoid the known jerks.

Flagstaffsooner
6/10/2006, 03:08 PM
Do like the big boys do, steroids.

lefty
6/10/2006, 03:25 PM
I played little league baseball back in the 50's and 60's. One of the most wonderful times in my life. My son played little league baseball in the 80's. One of the worst times in my life. Both parents and coaches have changed, it just doesn't seem fun anymore.

walkoffsooner
6/10/2006, 04:39 PM
Instead of getting there kids off the video games, and making a player out of them they would rather find a team there kid can start on.Then they get to high school and realize they have been in fantasy land and there kids sucks.

tulsaoilerfan
6/10/2006, 06:29 PM
Instead of getting there kids off the video games, and making a player out of them they would rather find a team there kid can start on.Then they get to high school and realize they have been in fantasy land and there kids sucks.
Actually i find sometimes it's quite the opposite; some parents would rather have their kid ride the bench on a good team than get a lot of playing time on a bad or mediocre team; hard to figure that one out

OUHOMER
6/10/2006, 07:08 PM
How long has your team been together? Most of our team started T ball together. By the time we were playing pitch we had a good team and weeded out lets just say the non team players and PARENTS. We won several league titles (1 season undefeated for league) and many tournaments. But you have to have the chemistry of both parents and players to make it happen. I have seen many a great team be brought down by individual attitude by both players and parents. Because everybody knows MY Johnny (age 12) will be a pro player and needs to play at all times..

I loved it most of the time… but it’s nice to have my weekends back:D

Cam
6/10/2006, 07:25 PM
Too many parents trying to live vicariously thru their children. They don't care if their kid plays, learns the game, or improves as a person, only that the team wins 99% of the time. You know, cause that's the way the world works. :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
6/10/2006, 08:24 PM
To answer the previous question, this is our first, and probably last, year as a team; we had hoped to keep the best kids next season and play again, but that isn't going to happen, and i'm not going through this again with a bunch of parents i don't know to begin with; i'm probably just going to try to find enough kids from here to go play for the sake of making them better for when they hit High School and hopefully the parents will understand what we are trying to accomplish with the kids next year

John

tulsaoilerfan
6/10/2006, 08:26 PM
Too many parents trying to live vicariously thru their children. They don't care if their kid plays, learns the game, or improves as a person, only that the team wins 99% of the time. You know, cause that's the way the world works. :rolleyes:
Actually, i think we have a couple here that don't care whether we win or not, as long as their kid gets to play a certain postion, no matter whether he can play it or not; some of them just can't put the team first. :(

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah, that's pretty sad, tof. You'd think loyalty and perseverance would be lessons parents would want their kids to learn from sports.

Our soccer club has a situation where almpost a whole team is leaving one club (for legitimate reasons, I think - the whole old club is struggling and lacking fields and coaches due to Katrina). But rather than coming to our club where they would be the only team in their age group, with plenty of playing time for all, good competent coaching, and a well run club, they want to go to another club where they will inevitably be a stepchild to the team that's already there. I guess they are plenty gullible and prefer smoke up their drawers to simple, honest competence. Go figure.

BajaOklahoma
6/10/2006, 08:41 PM
TU, it is becoming the age of the super clubs. Dallas Texans, Sting, Inter and more around here have multiple teams at each age level. I have to say that it makes me laugh when the "top" team loses to their "weaker" team.

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 08:57 PM
TU, it is becoming the age of the super clubs. Dallas Texans, Sting, Inter and more around here have multiple teams at each age level. I have to say that it makes me laugh when the "top" team loses to their "weaker" team.
True dat. Very true. But the team that's luring these girls is far far far from a superclub, and not ever likely to be one. They are promising things they cannot deliver just to get numbers (and club fees). Oh well.... :twinkies: I think if they don't get so disgusted that they quit playing altogether, they'll eventually come to us.

:)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/10/2006, 09:56 PM

i had some ****ed off parents at the beginning of this year as softball coordinator. i made sure the little league draft resulted in some balanced teams, especially with the pitching so all 3 teams ended up over .500. the parents of the kids that had played before were fairly happy, the first year players' parents were a totally different matter. our team had a scrub revolt because the coach hadn't played them enough. one parent was mad at me because my daughter pitched a lot of games. i was like "uh, i'm not the coach. if you want, i'll have him pull my daughter to put your daughter in at pitcher." she was like "uh, no i want to win". :rolleyes: