PDA

View Full Version : my new car

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 02:28 PM
for the last 6-12 months i have been in the market for a "new" car...ok a "used" one...i have teetered back and forth between a number of models, just not sure what i wanted

i've done more research on used cars than i ever thought possible

and ended up with what i think is a steal

my research tells me that unless i'm loaded with $$$, new cars are a bad investment, so finding a used car that wont be a headache down the road and is also affordable....well, you get the picture

so, i find a 98 lexus es 300, one owner......mileage tops out at 10K a year, the car has been serviced the entire time at the same lexus dealership.....the leather interior looks brand new.....on top of coming down off the listed price, i also got them to replace the rear main seal as it had oil seepage (about a 1K repair)

this is the cleanest 8 year old car i've ever seen and it drives soooooo nice

jk = happy boy

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 02:31 PM
Way to go, Moneybags.

;)

Howzit
6/9/2006, 02:33 PM
Way to go, Moneybags.

;)

JK Perot.

Congrats, sounds nice.

yermom
6/9/2006, 02:36 PM
Way to go, Moneybags.

;)

it's mostly a dressed up Camry, where is TD2K? ;)

my cousin has a '96 i think

my internal BlueBook is saying that was ~$5k, that's hardly expensive

yermom
6/9/2006, 02:38 PM
ok, maybe more like 6-7k

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 02:38 PM
it's mostly a dressed up Camry, where is TD2K? ;)

my cousin has a '96 i think

my internal BlueBook is saying that was ~$5k, that's hardly expensive

Dear JK's Parade,

This shower will dissipate quickly, just wait it out.

BeetDigger
6/9/2006, 02:41 PM
... i also got them to replace the rear main seal as it had seepage

:eek:
TMI

Way to go moneybags, sounds like a nice car. So, next Dallas Lunch you, Mr. G35 and Mr. New House on the Lake get to buy lunch. :texan:

mdklatt
6/9/2006, 02:41 PM
my research tells me that unless i'm loaded with $$$, new cars are a bad investment, so finding a used car that wont be a headache down the road and is also affordable....well, you get the picture

Aye, there's the rub.

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 02:45 PM
it is a dressed up camry, no doubt.....but i've driven a camry and i can tell you this is such a nicer ride

the seats are like new.....i'm thinking the previous owner was some old guy who rarely drove it, probably traded it in on a newer model

it wasnt too spensive.. :)

BeetDigger
6/9/2006, 02:47 PM
it wasnt too spensive.. :)

Good, all the more reason for you to buy lunch. :D

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 02:48 PM
ha

i've been driving the old 93 pontiac gran prix for over a year......HATED it, but i was only using it to get to work and back......so the thought of having a car payment just for that was too much

but......it was time, now we can save some miles on our highlander which mrs jk drives....

crawfish
6/9/2006, 02:57 PM
I'd rather buy new (or close to new) and keep the car for a minimum of 10 years. We had the '93 camry for 12 years, paid off for 8, I think we got the value back many times over.

C&CDean
So, jk comes outta the closet. Cool.

sooneron
I concur about the pre-pwned market. We got our car for pretty cheap.

1stTimeCaller
6/9/2006, 02:58 PM
so when that VP was slammin the door the other day he was mad because he learned that his bonus went to your new raise?

Congrats JK!!

C&CDean
6/9/2006, 03:01 PM
I'd rather buy new (or close to new) and keep the car for a minimum of 10 years. We had the '93 camry for 12 years, paid off for 8, I think we got the value back many times over.

Absolutely.

I only buy used equipment, never cars/trucks (unless I need a beater to haul hay or something).

Buy it new, enjoy the fact that nobody has ****ed in your back seat except you, keep it nice, have a warranty, pay it off, and drive a like-new car for as many years as you want.

I've got a 1992 20-foot Astro boat I bought brand new. Everybody is like "dude, don't buy a new boat - it's a bad financial decision." Well, I have a very nice boat today that is like new. I paid under $20K for it in 92'. Know what a 20-foot bass boat with a 200 horse Merc goes for these days? It was a very wise decision. I've enjoyed a great boat for 14 years, and it's still got many, many years left in it.

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 03:17 PM
you know the two best days of a boat owners life?

the day he got the boat and the day he got rid of it ;)

i've always heard that anyway.......if i could afford one i'd have one

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 03:18 PM

I have one I'll sell you. :D

sooneron
6/9/2006, 03:20 PM
I heard they are holes in the water that you throw money into.

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 03:22 PM

no thats a pool......oh wait

mdklatt
6/9/2006, 03:23 PM
I have one I'll sell you. :D

How about a tax write-off?

C&CDean
6/9/2006, 03:25 PM

Used ones are.

I just replaced the water pump, lower unit lube, two voltage regulators, spark plugs, wires, all oil and fuel lines, and I dropped $400. It's the first money (other than gas/oil) I've spent on the boat in maybe 3 years. All together, I don't have $1K into my boat other than purchase price and gas/oil.

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 03:28 PM
its tough to judge how many "miles" a used boat has on it...used boats are a huge gamble imo........my sisters boat at texoma is proof of that

1stTimeCaller
6/9/2006, 03:28 PM
they go by hours don't they?

is your sister hawt?

TIA

yermom
6/9/2006, 03:29 PM

Dean probably takes care of his :)

i'd have to have some serious jack to buy a boat with the amount of time i'd actually feel like using it around here

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2006, 03:29 PM
she's married with 3 kids, but you'd hit it

yeah they go by hours.....

mdklatt
6/9/2006, 03:31 PM
its tough to judge how many "miles" a used boat has on it...

It's not that much different with a used car--not all miles are created equal. There's also such a thing as odometer fraud. *cough* 1stTimeCaller *cough*

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 03:33 PM
Mine has < 200 hours on it....it's a 1999.

85Sooner
6/9/2006, 07:05 PM
The folks at Lexus are the BEST. A month ago, My service engine lights comes on, so I take it in. Little did I know that I had not change the oil in 20K miles in over a year. I know, I know.

Anyway, they came back and said the engine was totally caked inside and that it was done. They gave me a new (not rebuilt or refurbished) engine. Rebuilt it with all new belts, pumps, gaskets, etc....... Runs like a new car, which I guess the engine part is. Price? 950.00 smackers. (600.00) less than the 100K service which is recommended. Nevertheless, I won't forget the oil this year.

BajaOklahoma
6/9/2006, 07:31 PM
My son's car needed a new clutch. The dealership s going to do it for actual cost + labor. They decided it needed a couple of extra parts (read new transmission) as my son drove it for awhile (read too long) with a bad clutch.
Turns out the rest is covered under an extended warranty that we didn't remember buying. :O

We don't usually buy the warranties.

And JK, congrats on the car!