PDA

View Full Version : My Hot Sports Opinion: OU will go undefeated

johnstuff
6/8/2006, 03:04 PM
Im an A&M grad & am now at OU for grad school.

IMO, Oregon is the biggest possible stumbling block this season - and a game the Sooners should win. Oregon is a very tough place to play & if we get out of there with a W, it will be easy money from there. Even with a loss to Oregon, OU should have no trouble winning the Big12. I don't see any way UT can win with a new QB. tOSU will throttle them & it will be downhill from there. And nobody else in the Big 12 poses a real threat to upset the Sooners.

I fully expect to see some OU football towards the end of January!

CincySooner
6/8/2006, 03:37 PM
I like your attitude, but I dont think it will be THAT easy.

johnstuff
6/8/2006, 04:41 PM
Looking at the rest of your schedule I think you should be heavily favored in every game other than Oregon & UT. The rest of the Big 12 doesnt scare me. The game in Kyle Field can always do crazy things, but I surely don't exect much out of the Aggies at any point while Fran is still there.

TheGodfather889
6/8/2006, 04:58 PM
Oregon will be really tough since Outzen is one of the louder places to play in the country and they have a good team. Texas did lose VY and that is a HUGE loss but the Horns are still really good. So it'll be tough but I think we can do it.

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2006, 04:58 PM
. . . Even with a loss to Oregon, OU should have no trouble winning the Big12. I don't see any way UT can win with a new QB. tOSU will throttle them & it will be downhill from there. And nobody else in the Big 12 poses a real threat to upset the Sooners.

Tap the brakes aggy.

You don't see any way UT can defeat OU? How about if OU's offensive line (which has serious depth issues) does not jell as it needs to? How about if Peterson gets injured again? (Remember his shoulder problems his freshman year and ankle problems last year). How about if Bomar does not develop and his off-the-field and maturity issues remain prevalent? How about the Texas defense, which will again, be very, very good, has a strong performance? How about if J. Charles (who had a big game against OU last year before hurting his ankle) and Selvin Young have big games on the ground? Peter Gardere, James Brown and Major Applewhite were all frosh and/or redshirt frosh when they led Texas to a win in their first RRS. The UT - OU game should be incredibly close with it decided on a few plays.

As for OSU, the Luckeyes lost 9 of 11 starters on defense. Their offense, although more mature, lost a key playmaker in Sanantonio Holmes (who had a much better game against Texas than Ginn, Jr.). The game is in Austin in the heat of September even though at night.

OU, the last two times at Pyle Field, has had trouble with aggy.

Even the Muffaloes will give OU, as well as other teams, trouble.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/8/2006, 05:15 PM
1.) Why is Oregon so underrated? They are positively loaded on both the offensive and defensive lines, and all the offensive skill positions.

2.) Why is Texas so underrated? Ditto the above, plus add LB's and DB's to that positively loaded statement. QB is their ONLY question. People need to wake up and realize that it WAS NOT Vince Young alone that beat us in the Cotton Bowl. It was a Texas DEFENSE and RUNNING GAME that beat our brains in.

3.) We took the No. 1 team in the land to Kyle Field in 2002 and got whipped. I do not believe aTm was even ranked. Do you really have any more questions?

4.) Why is Dennis Francione so underrated? He built modern-day TCU program. He got Bama pointed the right direction under a cloud of harsh recruiting penalties. They scared us to death by the end of the game last year at our place. So it's taking a couple of years for him to shuck the Slocum good ol' boys in favor of the players he likes to coach. He has had sound offensive schemes and tough defenses everywhere he has coached.

5.) The LoSuRs play one game a year like it is the Super Bowl.

6.) We are totally overlooking Washington. And I would remind everyone to look at Ty Willingham's record Year 2 at Stanford and Notre Dame. Trap game... big time!

7.) Less than 90 days to kickoff and we still don't have a cohesive offensive line. How many times do some of you have to get hit over the head with the Captain Obvious statement: THE GAME IS WON AND LOST IN THE TRENCHES.

8.) Kicking game anyone? It's been a non-factor for us two years in a row now. That's a trend... especially w/ no reliable punter. Captain Obvious statement II: There are three parts to the game that are equally important... offense, defense and SPECIAL TEAMS.

Other than that... we're a slam dunk....

If, and it is a big if, we win 10 games it will be a GREAT season. If we win 'em all it will be epic.

lefty
6/8/2006, 06:38 PM
As much as I hate to agree with a Hook 'em, the depth issue for all teams is always a serious concern. Since the age of scholarship limits, no team goes into any season without questions. OUr O-line's depth is indeed in question. Without injuries they will be solid and could take us to the promised land. But the same can be said of any unit on the team. Without considering depth and injuries, the Sooners have as good a chance of any team in the country. The maturity of Bomar, as a quarterback anyway, and the return of a healthy Peterson suggests the offense should be in good shape. Obviously, the growth of the receivers is important, but we have three that seem to have tremendous potential. All we need is for one to become the next Mark Clayton and we're in good shape. The defensive backfield is also somewhat a question mark, but with the progress seen last year, they should be OK. If the defense plays (with the replacements that are necessary) as well as they did in the third quarter against Oregon, we should be alright. Again, there are so many factors that are out of the hands of the players and coaches (TT comes to mind), that going unbeaten is very difficult. I will be suprised if any team manages that feat this year. Should be a great season for a fan of competitive football.

goingoneight
6/8/2006, 08:40 PM
If I read correctly, Washington isn't even spotted in the top 100 for 2006.

Deathtraps include Oregon, UT, Aggies and faggies...

I believe a lot of fans don't realize just how hard 14 wins are to come by, ESPECIALLY in the BIG 12. It's easy to watch ABC every Saturday, but your guys are the ones who need to be hot. That means no injuries, no sick players, no suspended players, and a fantastic performance every week. Tell me just how easy that is to come by, and I'll use your theory to tell you how we'll go undefeated...

olevetonahill
6/8/2006, 10:32 PM
Tap the brakes aggy.

You don't see any way UT can defeat OU? How about if OU's offensive line (which has serious depth issues) does not jell as it needs to? How about if Peterson gets injured again? (Remember his shoulder problems his freshman year and ankle problems last year). How about if Bomar does not develop and his off-the-field and maturity issues remain prevalent? How about the Texas defense, which will again, be very, very good, has a strong performance? How about if J. Charles (who had a big game against OU last year before hurting his ankle) and Selvin Young have big games on the ground? Peter Gardere, James Brown and Major Applewhite were all frosh and/or redshirt frosh when they led Texas to a win in their first RRS. The UT - OU game should be incredibly close with it decided on a few plays.

As for OSU, the Luckeyes lost 9 of 11 starters on defense. Their offense, although more mature, lost a key playmaker in Sanantonio Holmes (who had a much better game against Texas than Ginn, Jr.). The game is in Austin in the heat of September even though at night.

OU, the last two times at Pyle Field, has had trouble with aggy.

Even the Muffaloes will give OU, as well as other teams, trouble.

You did a lot of "what ifs" there counselor
Ive just got ONE
What if MB decides to try coaching again since VY is gone ?

Snrfn4ever08
6/9/2006, 01:35 AM
4.) Why is Dennis Francione so underrated?

77-0

Partial Qualifier
6/9/2006, 06:57 AM
4.) Why is Dennis Francione so underrated?

I've been thinking about this lately... TCU obviously has some resources because they're doing okay since he left. Sure he did a good job there but that becomes less & less impressive as the years go by. But here's the kicker about Fran: he left 'bama for ATM.

Franchione left ALABAMA in a cloud of dust, so he could take the job at TEXAS A&M.

How much sense does that make? I was puzzled then, even more puzzled now. Dude's wack.

Octavian
6/9/2006, 08:00 AM
The Muffaloes ain't beatin' anybody in Norman during football season.

We did not get "whipped" at Kyle Field in '02.

Fran is overrated? Puff, puff, give.

TexasLidig8r
6/9/2006, 08:34 AM
You did a lot of "what ifs" there counselor
Ive just got ONE
What if MB decides to try coaching again since VY is gone ?

We're doomed. ;)

As much as I question Greg Davis as an offensive coordinator, the fact of the matter is, the offense was revamped to best take advantage of Chris Simms skill set (although those damnable 3 - 4 yard outs were a killer), then readjusted for Chance Mock.. then again, revamped to take advantage of Vince Young's unique skills.

56 - 8 over the course of the last 5 years is pretty stout.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/9/2006, 11:36 AM
We did not get "whipped" at Kyle Field in '02.

Funny, I think of an unrated team racking up big play after big play on your supposedly number 1 squad, and furthermore that unrated team really controlling the line of scrimmage throughout the entire game leaving you to have to try and mount a desperation comeback at the end of the game as most assuredly "getting whipped".

I guess it follows then that we didn't get whipped a couple weeks later by the LoSuRs.

I guess I just don't understand football... :rolleyes:

tbl
6/9/2006, 02:42 PM
Fran had Ladanian Tomlinson at TCU, and he wasn't at Bama long enough to do anything there but be average, and he has yet to do anything at aTm. IMO he is the most overrated coach in the NCAA.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2006, 03:05 PM
I'm calling my shot now; Mizzou and new QB Chase Daniels (who I think is VERY underrated) will give OU a run for their money in Columbia. Brad Smith leaving is a situation of addition by subtraction.

Collier11
6/9/2006, 03:37 PM
1.)

7.) Less than 90 days to kickoff and we still don't have a cohesive offensive line. How many times do some of you have to get hit over the head with the Captain Obvious statement: THE GAME IS WON AND LOST IN THE TRENCHES.

Good points all except for this one, while it is a concern, we have no idea how cohesive or productive this o-line will be. They may well struggle like last year, but they may also be a great group..the fact is that we dont know yet cus everything is going on behind closed doors and we arent hearing how good they will or wont be

Partial Qualifier
6/9/2006, 04:15 PM
I'm calling my shot now; Mizzou and new QB Chase Daniels (who I think is VERY underrated) will give OU a run for their money in Columbia. Brad Smith leaving is a situation of addition by subtraction.

Is he purely a drop-back qb? I can only think of one "un-mobile" QB OU has lost to since 2000.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2006, 05:09 PM
Is he purely a drop-back qb? I can only think of one "un-mobile" QB OU has lost to since 2000.
No, he can run.

Octavian
6/9/2006, 05:45 PM
Funny, I think of an unrated team racking up big play after big play on your supposedly number 1 squad, and furthermore that unrated team really controlling the line of scrimmage throughout the entire game leaving you to have to try and mount a desperation comeback at the end of the game as most assuredly "getting whipped".

I guess it follows then that we didn't get whipped a couple weeks later by the LoSuRs.

I guess I just don't understand football... :rolleyes:

we lost by 4 points in College Station and, as you point out, had a chance to win late in the 4th quarter.

we were down by 4 TDs at halftime in the other cowtown.

let me add my rolleyes face.

Vegas Vic
6/10/2006, 05:16 PM

I count five.

Josh Fields, Matt Leinart, Tye Gunn, Drew Olson and Cody Hodges.

snp
6/10/2006, 05:24 PM
6.) We are totally overlooking Washington. And I would remind everyone to look at Ty Willingham's record Year 2 at Stanford and Notre Dame. Trap game... big time!

Uh, 5-7 with like 4 blowout losses?

No, this is not a trap game. Washington sucks this year and they have a terrible coach.

goingoneight
6/10/2006, 09:37 PM
Im an A&M grad & am now at OU for grad school.

IMO, Oregon is the biggest possible stumbling block this season - and a game the Sooners should win. Oregon is a very tough place to play & if we get out of there with a W, it will be easy money from there. Even with a loss to Oregon, OU should have no trouble winning the Big12. I don't see any way UT can win with a new QB. tOSU will throttle them & it will be downhill from there. And nobody else in the Big 12 poses a real threat to upset the Sooners.

I take it you hate Hook 'em more than anyone alive then... :D

johnstuff
6/12/2006, 02:25 PM
I hate the redneck, overall wearing Aggie worse than I hate any Hook 'em

But yes, I do hate the Hook 'em

And as for Fran being overrated...I've been banned from TexAgs 10 times for not so subtly voicing my opinions on him.

Luthor
6/12/2006, 03:40 PM
I don't know about OU's depth at OL. I do know that tOSU has exacly zero juniors on their D unit depth chart and very few seniors. I think too much inexperience on either side of the line is felt even before inexperience at QB. I know I wouldn't trade our line depth for an extra year of experience at QB.

olevetonahill
6/12/2006, 03:52 PM
Nobody hates em more than GDC :D

budbarrybob
6/12/2006, 04:31 PM

lets remember last years game against Tulsa. That QB seemed to "run" quite well and i didn't think b4 that game he was considered a "running QB"