PDA

View Full Version : Sooners Land Another DB

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 02:35 PM
Desmond Jackson from Seguin, TX

Safety 5'11" 187lbs 4.5

Desmond Jackson info from Scout (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=2479483)

snp
6/8/2006, 03:03 PM
Good deal. The dude's pretty tall and fast.

I'm reading him as 6'1 190, as he's listed in the articles.

Seguin, Texas prospect Desmond Jackson is so good that you can argue that he is the best cornerback in Lone Star State. Jackson, a four-star prospect in the latest Scout.com rankings, talks about his game and commitment to Oklahoma. (Photo courtesy of the Seguin-Gazette)

DESMOND JACKSON, CB, 6’1, 190, 4.5, SEGUIN, TEXAS:

Seguin, Texas prospect Desmond Jackson is so good that you can argue that he is the best cornerback in Lone Star State. And at worst, one of the top two corners in Texas. On Thursday, Jackson made a decision of where he is going to take his great talent to play college football.

“I committed to Oklahoma today,” said Jackson. “I was talking to Bob Stoops and I like the way he carries himself. OU was one of my top two choices anyway. I was going to go there or Texas. I just think Oklahoma gives me the better opportunity to play than Texas. I talked to him yesterday and I told him I wanted to talk it over with my family. I just called him today and committed. He was real happy about it. I also talked to Coach (Bobby Jack) Wright and he was real happy about it as well.”

Jackson broke into the starting line-up as a sophomore after lettering as a freshman. Last season Jackson finished with seven interceptions, six of which were returned for touchdowns. He finished with 70 tackles, 13 tackles-for-loss and five sacks. He also returned one punt return for a touchdown (83 yards) and one kick return for a touchdown (91). As a sophomore, Jackson had 85 tackles and 13 pass break-ups.

“I am very explosive at the line of scrimmage,” said Jackson. “I am big and I like to hit a lot, but I have good recovery speed. I also play a little defensive end and a little outside linebacker. When it is third and long, sometimes they put me on the line of scrimmage to rush the passer. I am tall and pretty quick, and I can just run around the offensive tackle. Then they put me at outside linebacker because we run the 3-4 defense and we like to blitz our linebackers. I picked off four of my passes at corner last year and the other two at safety.”

Jackson can bench 305 pounds, squats 425 and he has posted a vertical jump 33-inches. Jackson is also the starting point guard in hoops and averages 12 points per game. In track, he runs 4X100 (anchor), 4X200 (third leg) and the sprint relay (second or anchor leg). He also participates in the high jump (6’4).

Jackson went to the UT camp last Sunday, and he plans to go to UTEP’s camp sometime this summer.

“I plan on getting up to Oklahoma sometime this summer or the beginning of August,” said Jackson. “I know Oklahoma has great facilities and a great campus. I am looking forward to seeing it.”

Jackson had seven offers from OU, Texas, Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, SMU and TCU.

“I am going to look forward to playing against Texas at Oklahoma,” said Jackson. “That is a great game and I will look forward to playing against them.”

Jackson plays AAU Basketball and plays in a seven-on-seven league. Seguin is 1-1 thus far this summer.

Jackson is awaiting his SAT score and he is confident his grades are in order.

Grimey
6/8/2006, 03:39 PM

way too tall /jkm

Scott D
6/8/2006, 03:54 PM

cue the shades of Bassey bashing ;)

Collier11
6/8/2006, 04:04 PM
6 int returns for tds, I likes

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/8/2006, 05:10 PM
way too tall /jkm

i am going to assume this kid is a safety and the height is okay. if they are targeting him as a corner then **groan**

The VIIIth
6/8/2006, 07:50 PM
Cornernback/safety Desmond Jackson (6-1, 193, 4.5) from Seguin (Tex.) finished his junior season with 70 tackles, seven pics with six for touchdowns. He also had 11 tackles and three sacks. Offensively, he had 1 punt return for a touchdown and one kick return for a score.
Jackson benches 305 pounds, squats 425 and has a vertical jump of 34-inches.

Desmond Jackson: "I'm tall and have good strength and explosiveness," Jackson said. "I'm really aggressive and like to really go after it and mess up the wide receiver's route. I like to play physical and lay a lick, but I still need to get faster and get my 40 time down. I want to improve my footwork."

He also plays point guard for his high school basketball team averaging 11 point per game, but he only plans to do football in college.

He reports a 2.8 GPA and is taking the SAT on June 3.

School Interest Level Offer? Attended Camp? Visit Date Signed LOI?
Oklahoma Verbal Yes None
Arizona No Interest Yes None
Arkansas No Interest Yes None
Nebraska No Interest Yes None
Oklahoma State No Interest Yes None
SMU No Interest Yes None
Texas No Interest No None

Collier11
6/8/2006, 09:01 PM
Since when is 6'1'' too tall for a cb? With the current trend of 6'3'' and taller wideouts, it is good to have some height back there

snp
6/8/2006, 11:06 PM
If they can't twist their hips quick enough, it doesn't matter since a 5'5 WR will beat them.

Collier11
6/8/2006, 11:39 PM
but twisting hips has no relation to height, it is flexibility

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/9/2006, 12:11 AM
but twisting hips has no relation to height, it is flexibility

no, its torque. the taller you are the more freakishly athletic you have to be since your center of gravity is higher off the ground...

Scott D
6/9/2006, 08:39 AM
frankly 6' 6'1 is as tall as you want to get with a corner....anything more and you begin looking at safety or linebacker depending on their frame. This kid could still potentially be 6'2 6'3

PAW
6/9/2006, 09:43 AM
So, since we have 10-11 schollies for next year (maybe a few more from Tabon & Williams) and we already have 5 defensive verbals, will we be targeting O-line for the rest of the class? Thoughts?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/9/2006, 10:35 AM
they are going for guys that can play multiple positions. i'd look for some DTs and TEs

The Consumate Showman
6/9/2006, 10:44 AM
we still are looking at Chaisson at QB and like jkm said, a mulitple position guy like Kinne (QB/LB) might be in our future. I believe we are also looking at another DE/DT from Okmulgee and Okmulgee's RB, Dre Stout.

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 10:49 AM
we still are looking at Chaisson at QB and like jkm said, a mulitple position guy like Kinne (QB/LB) might be in our future. I believe we are also looking at another DE/DT from Okmulgee and Okmulgee's RB, Dre Stout.

Dre Stout is from Muskogee.

The Consumate Showman
6/9/2006, 10:57 AM
Dre Stout is from Muskogee.

I know it. I get those two towns mixed up all the freakin time. Thanks Mjcpr.

BTW Mjcpr, you are in Tulsa, yes? You know anything about this Michael Harris RB from Booker T? I saw his results from the aTm Nike Camp and he did pretty damn well. His 40 was pretty awesome.

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 11:09 AM
I know it. I get those two towns mixed up all the freakin time. Thanks Mjcpr.

BTW Mjcpr, you are in Tulsa, yes? You know anything about this Michael Harris RB from Booker T? I saw his results from the aTm Nike Camp and he did pretty damn well. His 40 was pretty awesome.

It's easy for me because I'm from Muskogee. :D

Nope, I don't recall hearing about him but jkm will tell you that most of the fellas from BTW turn out to be flakes for us for some reason.

snp
6/9/2006, 11:55 AM
So, since we have 10-11 schollies for next year (maybe a few more from Tabon & Williams) and we already have 5 defensive verbals, will we be targeting O-line for the rest of the class? Thoughts?

There's still a couple of RBs on the board we're after: Creer, Travis Lewis.
A few WRs: Tolivar, Brooks, Dez Bryant, and Jones
And some OL: Ryan Miller, Romine, and Fatty Williams.

And a few others guys on offense that I don't feel like looking for. Go check my thread in this forum, lots of info.

We still haven't offered him. And I hope we don't.

I really hope we get Kinne, just so we can get Justin Johnson next year. Plus, he looks to be a solid player.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/9/2006, 12:06 PM
It's easy for me because I'm from Muskogee. :D

Nope, I don't recall hearing about him but jkm will tell you that most of the fellas from BTW turn out to be flakes for us for some reason.

actually, when we are good, they tend to either be flakes or academians. when we are bad, they are awesome.

TopDawg
6/9/2006, 02:01 PM
...and I'm proud to be an Okie from Okmulgee...

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 02:05 PM
...and I'm proud to be an Okie from Okmulgee...

Exactly.

And since then I've been .....living on Talala time.

The Consumate Showman
6/9/2006, 03:01 PM
There's still a couple of RBs on the board we're after: Creer, Travis Lewis.
A few WRs: Tolivar, Brooks, Dez Bryant, and Jones
And some OL: Ryan Miller, Romine, and Fatty Williams.

And a few others guys on offense that I don't feel like looking for. Go check my thread in this forum, lots of info.

We still haven't offered him. And I hope we don't.

I really hope we get Kinne, just so we can get Justin Johnson next year. Plus, he looks to be a solid player.

I would like for us to pass on Chaisson, too. Hopefully we can get another good RB a la Creer...I think we'll get Dez, Tollivar??? Ryan Miller we might get, and the other two I think will come to OU.

I have been told that OU might be looking at playing Kinne at LB possibly...I think that's unlikely since we will have some good athletes at LB this year and the following two years, too.

KT Bear
6/9/2006, 03:43 PM

maybe I missed it, Kinne at LB, opinion or is there a source?

snp
6/9/2006, 05:24 PM
We're not getting Miller. He's headed for CU or ND. If he somehow slips past ND, which he could since they got an awesome OL class last year and are going to fill up, then he'll fall to CU. Then maybe we have a shot, if we can fight off the rest of the country for him.

We haven't offered Kinne to play QB yet; we've offered him as an athlete. Coaching staff is still deciding if they want to offer him as a QB.

caphorns
6/12/2006, 11:30 AM
Kinne doesn't list OU any more in his top 3 or 4 or whatever. He probably ends up at Baylor with his dad. I think he intends to play QB and the OU staff apparently didn't see it that way.

D. Jackson is an EXCELLENT pickup.

snp
6/12/2006, 01:51 PM
Uhhhh, yea he is.
GJ: “It is probably OU, Baylor, Florida and Tennessee.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/12/2006, 01:53 PM
he's narrowed it down to 3 and we are out.

snp
6/12/2006, 02:04 PM
Yea, I just shot over to the scout board and saw the news, my bad.

Hey, jkm, I thought you weren't getting into recruiting this year?