PDA

View Full Version : Since Gandalf brought up Presidential pardons...

OUinFLA
6/8/2006, 11:06 AM
any one want to guess on the odds of outgoing Pres Bush popping a pardon for the Enron group?

I'd say Lay and Skilling arent going to serve too much time in the Federal Retreat.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:07 AM
end of term Presidential pardons are probably one of the most blatant abuses of power through a loophole out there.

slickdawg
6/8/2006, 11:12 AM
:les: BERNIE EBBERS AND SCOTT SULLIVAN!

yermom
6/8/2006, 11:50 AM
end of term Presidential pardons are probably one of the most blatant abuses of power through a loophole out there.

yeah, what is the basis of that anyway?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2006, 01:34 PM
any one want to guess on the odds of outgoing Pres Bush popping a pardon for the Enron group?

I'd say Lay and Skilling arent going to serve too much time in the Federal Retreat.If you're not joking, you must get to the ER immediately, for your KoolAid poisoning.

critical_phil
6/8/2006, 01:38 PM
is vBookie up????

walkoffsooner
6/8/2006, 01:46 PM

I'd say Lay and Skilling arent going to serve too much time in the Federal Retreat.
he better not:mad: :mad:

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/8/2006, 01:53 PM
HEY HEY LEt's get off Gandalf...since I just got off your..well I don't know!!! Still I hope he does let them off, I mean they was just making a buck ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/8/2006, 01:56 PM

There ain't no way they get pardoned.

TUSooner
6/8/2006, 04:07 PM
There ain't no way they get pardoned.
Disregard the man's avatar; he's right.

6/8/2006, 04:54 PM
Too many people lost everything because of them. No way.

StoopTroup
6/8/2006, 04:58 PM
If he does...the Republican Party will put the Democratic party back in charge of Congress, The House and The White House.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2006, 06:35 PM
If he does...the Republican Party will put the Democratic party back in charge of Congress, The House and The White House.Amen.

Vaevictis
6/8/2006, 07:48 PM

loophole? I thought it was straight up the president's prerogative to pardon or commute at will.

OklahomaTuba
6/8/2006, 08:12 PM
Me too. No Loophole needed.

Rogue
6/8/2006, 08:18 PM
Lay and Skilling, no pardon from W.

Delay and Rove? maybe another matter.

OklahomaTuba
6/8/2006, 08:19 PM
I guess Delay and Rove would need to be guilty of something first though.

OUinFLA
6/8/2006, 08:20 PM
loophole? I thought it was straight up the president's prerogative to pardon or commute at will.

I cant remember the last time a President pardoned anyone except on the day he was emptying his desk from the Oval office.
I think Billy Clinton may hold the record for quantity.

royalfan5
6/8/2006, 08:22 PM
I cant remember the last time a President pardoned anyone except on the day he was emptying his desk from the Oval office.
Didn't Ford pardon Nixon right away?

OUinFLA
6/8/2006, 08:24 PM
well yeah, but that was a quality pardon, not quantity.
:D

forgot about that one.

TopDawg
6/8/2006, 08:32 PM

I think you mean "proven guilty of something illegal." They're plenty guilty of lots.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 08:32 PM

Well then shouldn't we give Governors that same sort of power at the end of their terms in regards to State prisoners as compared to Federal prisoners?

Anything that excuses a portion of a sentence is a loophole in the justice system....Pardons happen to be a legal loophole.

soonercody
6/8/2006, 08:36 PM

Nit pickin' details.

OUinFLA
6/8/2006, 08:41 PM
Well then shouldn't we give Governors that same sort of power at the end of their terms in regards to State prisoners as compared to Federal prisoners?

a google search gives several states where the govenor can give a pardon to someone who is in jail, or a pardon to erase a criminal record.
Im too lazy to investigate how many states have that option.

picasso
6/8/2006, 10:03 PM
I think you mean "proven guilty of something illegal." They're plenty guilty of lots.
yeah, Rove is guilty of kicking *** come election time. still must hurt.:)

Scott D
6/8/2006, 10:42 PM
a google search gives several states where the govenor can give a pardon to someone who is in jail, or a pardon to erase a criminal record.

releasing anyone from jail for political 'backscratching' reasons should be as illegal as robbing a bank.

Jeopardude
6/8/2006, 10:51 PM

Since Carter pardoned all Vietnam draft dodgers and Lincoln pardoned all Civil war deserters, Clinton doesn't even come close. :P

royalfan5
6/8/2006, 11:05 PM
I know in Nebraska, Pardon's are granted by the Pardon's Board which consists of the Gov, AG, and Sec of State. That way there are checks on each members indivdual power.

GottaHavePride
6/9/2006, 12:01 AM
I think Bush will pardon all the Enrico Palazzo trolls. Or something.

Rhino
6/9/2006, 11:05 AM
If Bush even thinks about pardoning Lay or Skilling, death upon his house.

TopDawg
6/9/2006, 05:42 PM
yeah, Rove is guilty of kicking *** come election time. still must hurt.:)

True, but we're just talking about unethical stuff there...not illegal stuff.

lefty
6/9/2006, 06:00 PM

Try W. The date is Sept. 28, 2005.

(CBS/AP) President Bush granted pardons Wednesday to 14 people, including a member of the mineworkers union who was convicted for his role in bombings at a West Virginia coal mine, a counterfeiter and a bootlegger.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/28/politics/main889049.shtml

OUinFLA
6/9/2006, 08:51 PM

Hey! Just cause I cant remember something doesnt mean it didnt happen!
Im old you know.
Seriously

olevetonahill
6/9/2006, 10:16 PM
Hey! Just cause I cant remember something doesnt mean it didnt happen!
Im old you know.
Seriously
They pick on us cause we be the "old fart clique "
I wonder can I get him to pardon me ? Just for the things Ive got caught for and some of those I may be caught for ?