PDA

View Full Version : **World Cup Thread**

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jeopardude
6/8/2006, 10:26 AM
We're about 24.5 hours away from the start of the Month Where USA Pays Slight Attention To Soccer.

1st game: Germany vs. Costa Rica or, per their nicknames the "Mannschaft" vs. the "Ticos". Nicknames alone tip this to Germany. That's a pretty manly name: Mannschaft. Combine with that Germany's home field advantage, Tico injuries, and the preponderance of German talent, I'd give Germany a three goal advantage.

But I'm a newbie, so I'm sure someone else will know better.

birddog
6/8/2006, 10:42 AM
you're pretty much dead on. Germans are hosting. Costa Rica can't defend or hold the ball in the midfield.

A buddy of mine, Brent Sancho, is playing in the World Cup for Trinidad & Tobago.

Injury update- Wayne rooney-England. Will play in World Cup.
Gabriel Cisse- France. Out of World Cup.

there are others.

birddog
6/8/2006, 10:51 AM
http://ussoccer.com/

good site to get familiar with the team.

TUSooner
6/8/2006, 11:05 AM
I hope the USA does very very well, but I'll always be an England man when if comes to "football" -- I can call it that on this thread, huh? ;)
Germany will roll tomorrow.

birddog
6/8/2006, 11:12 AM
yeah, i lived in england for a few years and always had them as "my team" to win the world . the u.s looks to be capable of getting out of their group. i would pull for the u.s against england but it looks like we'll have to get past brazil in the second round if we want a chance to see that.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:13 AM
I want to see the US do well....but I'm actively cheering for the Canarinha.

Jeopardude
6/8/2006, 04:50 PM
http://ussoccer.com/

good site to get familiar with the team.

A good spot to get an overview of the whole World Cup is this blog here (http://blogs.iht.com/tribtalk/sports/worldcupcohen/). It did contain this unintentionally hilarious line:

Klinsmann, who speaks four languages, has an American wife, and spends a large part of the year in California, is widely seen as a cosmoplitan intellectual who's allowed the "Mannschaft" to go soft.

BWA HA HA!

Scott D
6/8/2006, 07:30 PM
that blog sorta stole that from a recent issue of SI. Klinsmann also played in a rec league in California under a pseudonym until recently.

At one point he was my favorite soccer player, even though he played for Sampdoria in Italy.

Cam
6/8/2006, 09:19 PM
WC spek for all.

dolemitesooner
6/8/2006, 09:30 PM
lETS GO uSA...WORLD CUP AMDNESS BEGINS

birddog
6/9/2006, 12:21 AM
i'm thinking the germans will have a battle on their hands now against costa rica. ballack is out. the team doesn't seem real cohesive, but of course it is still germany. my prediction: germany 1 costa rica 0. in the afternoon game, i see ecuador pulling an upset 2-1 over poland. don't know why i feel that way. poland is real solid in the midfield and defensively but ecuador likes to attack and will be much quicker than the poles.

ouflak
6/9/2006, 05:01 AM
My boss just informed his team that we are allowed to take time off to go watch the games. So I will actually be going home early on Monday (Game is 5:00 pm my time). I still can't get a straight answer from anybody on if I will be safe waving my flag around and trying to start a "U-S-A" chant in a bar if the U.S. should happen to beat England. I'm thinking it will be just fine.

BajaOklahoma
6/9/2006, 05:57 AM
Just don't start yelling for Liverpool........ ;)

Scott D
6/9/2006, 08:36 AM
My boss just informed his team that we are allowed to take time off to go watch the games. So I will actually be going home early on Monday (Game is 5:00 pm my time). I still can't get a straight answer from anybody on if I will be safe waving my flag around and trying to start a "U-S-A" chant in a bar if the U.S. should happen to beat England. I'm thinking it will be just fine.

Well since the only way that would happen would be for England to finish first in Group B with the USA second in Group E, or England to finish second in Group B and the USA first in Group E. Then both countries would have to make it to the semifinals to play each other.

But since neither team will get that far you are safe. :D

Jeopardude
6/9/2006, 08:54 AM

At the Gold Cup in 97 when U.S. played Mexico at the Coliseum in LA, I saw people getting pelted for chanting U-S-A. And that was in LA! It can be dangerous for Sam's Army.

birddog
6/9/2006, 10:31 AM
they've got the opening ceremonies and what-have-you's on univision. it doesn't really matter what they're sayin'.

Jeopardude
6/9/2006, 11:15 AM
I was about to say it was gonna be a long day for the Ticos, that their counterattack strategy wasn't working. Then GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

I still think Germany will outrun them, but gotta root for the underdog.

birddog
6/9/2006, 02:51 PM
*final- germany 4 costa rica 2*

halftime- ecuador 1 poland 0

birddog
6/9/2006, 02:51 PM
nice sig by the way, dude.

birddog
6/9/2006, 02:53 PM
polska looks discombobulated right now. ecuador is playing pretty free. i think we'll see more of the poles here in the second half. long way to go.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2006, 02:55 PM
Wake me up if the U.S. makes the finals.

birddog
6/9/2006, 02:56 PM
see ya in 20 years then.

birddog
6/9/2006, 03:01 PM
start of 2nd half.

Socrefbek
6/9/2006, 03:12 PM

USA will need to do a lot of winning as will England if they are to meet up in the later rounds. Heres to hoping that Happens!! :D

birddog
6/9/2006, 03:39 PM
goal by ecuador (delgado). 2-0 ecuador. 81st min.

Jeopardude
6/9/2006, 04:17 PM
I was very impressed with Ecuador's defense. If they challenge Germany like that, that'll be a great match.

I'm gonna be the odd man out here and root for Paraguay tomorrow. It's shallow, but I hate hearing the announcers saying "Beckham" and "Michael Owen" like they're gods.

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 06:41 PM
My unassailable, infallible, expert assessment ;) : Thou must shoot to score (or at least send the ball in the direction of the net).
Game 1: Germany scored on 2 rockets to keep ahead of their unspectacular defense.
Game 2: Poland controlled the ball about 80% of the time but kept wasting airballs into the middle of Ecuador's tough defenders, who won 99% of headers. The Poles didn't start firing away until too late, then they only hit the post twice. Ecuador's counterattacks worked because they went down and SHOT the DANG BALL.

Scott D
6/9/2006, 06:47 PM
what defense? that's the worst defense I've ever seen Germany play in an international match. :)

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 06:47 PM
I was very impressed with Ecuador's defense. If they challenge Germany like that, that'll be a great match.

I'm gonna be the odd man out here and root for Paraguay tomorrow. It's shallow, but I hate hearing the announcers saying "Beckham" and "Michael Owen" like they're gods.
Agree BUT I always cheer for England, despite the hoo-ha over the almost over the hill Beckham. I hope Lampard has a great game and that Owen leaves a mark without hurting himself.

Bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes, & WC at my house tomorrow AM. Don't be late!

:twinkies:

Scott D
6/9/2006, 06:48 PM
Agree BUT I always cheer for England, despite the hoo-ha over the almost over the hill Beckham. I hope Lampard has a great game and that Owen leaves a mark without hurting himself.

Bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes, & WC at my house tomorrow AM. Don't be late!

:twinkies:

I'll pass...I'm gonna head to the English Pub up here :D

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 06:48 PM
what defense? that's the worst defense I've ever seen Germany play in an international match. :)
I missed most of that game, but giving 2 goals to Costa Rica is not an indicator of greatness in the back line (even though the 1st one looked offside to me).

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 06:49 PM
I'll pass...I'm gonna head to the English Pub up here :D
English Beer = breakfast of champs?! :D

Scott D
6/9/2006, 06:51 PM
Well you have to remember, Germany is being managed by a former world class forward. Before Juergen took over it was being run by Franz Beckenbauer who was more defensively minded first.

The pundits have harped all day about how Michael Ballack doesn't like the style that Germany is using.

Cam
6/9/2006, 08:02 PM
We turned on the Germany/CR game 2 minutes before the 35 yard upper 90 goal. That was one hell of a shot.

The German defense is going to get torn apart is they get past the group stage. They play flat footed and just aren't fast enough to make up for their mistakes.

Ecuador looked like they were just out there having fun. Poland looked lost for 85 minutes. They finally started pushing forward when they were down 2-0.

birddog
6/9/2006, 08:20 PM
We turned on the Germany/CR game 2 minutes before the 35 yard upper 90 goal. That was one hell of a shot.

The German defense is going to get torn apart is they get past the group stage. They play flat footed and just aren't fast enough to make up for their mistakes.

Ecuador looked like they were just out there having fun. Poland looked lost for 85 minutes. They finally started pushing forward when they were down 2-0.
agreed. if they stick with the off-sides tactic they will get destroyed by a team playing with 2 strikers. wanchope was roaming free by himself and they had a holding midfielder supporting him. ecuador might throw 2 or even 3 men forward using timed, diagonal runs that will beat the germans all day. of course, that is a risk/reward situation because the germans attack like mother scratchers. i think in the second round or quarters will be when we see the german defense get exposed though. apparently, the fans and players have been complaining about they're determination to play a trap. i'm sorry but you don't play a trap with a 2 goal lead. all the defenderes were within arse grabbing distance of each other. there was no spacing or communication. all in all it was a great way to start the tournament. hopefully england and paraguay will have a good showing.

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 08:28 PM

The Poland-Ecuador game reminded me of many high-school and youth-league games I have seen: One side controls the ball for most of the game, but never manages to get off a good shot. The other team has less possession but makes the most of their chances and scoires the goals.

My daughter's team was like the latter team in one memorable game. The opposing coach, obviously frustrated, practically demanded an apology from me for our winning even though her team controlled the ball for most of the game with much better and prettier passing. I politely declined to remind her that, under the universally accepted rules of the game, the team that scores the most GOALS always wins. I have been on the other side, too. :( The same rule applied every time!

birddog
6/9/2006, 08:37 PM
poland's problem was a lack of creativity. they never got the ball wide. they just dumped it over the top the WHOLE game and ecuador was supposedly slow, but their job was made much easier by just sitting back and picking off the passes. i expected much more outta the poles but it looks like they're done because they won't beat germany.

Cam
6/9/2006, 08:41 PM
It's a good thing that Germany can play offense. They might need to score 4 a game just to keep going on.

King Crimson
6/9/2006, 08:48 PM
i saw some of the first half and all the second half of the Germany-CR match.....some exciting chances both ways...though obviously Germany had many more. i thought on CR's second goal the German sliding defender kind of took the keeper out of the play.

CR got the worst and better of off-sides calls and no calls....seems.

Jeopardude
6/9/2006, 09:08 PM
I'd put high odds on any of this Group A making semis. Just no fluidity or balance.

And don't count out Poland yet. If they attack like they did in the last of this game, they're gonna get some through. And Germany's level of play might go up against a better team than the Ticos. Can't wait to see.

birddog
6/9/2006, 09:09 PM
i saw some of the first half and all the second half of the Germany-CR match.....some exciting chances both ways...though obviously Germany had many more. i thought on CR's second goal the German sliding defender kind of took the keeper out of the play.

CR got the worst and better of off-sides calls and no calls....seems.
definitely, because when you run an off-sides trap as the germans did, you're relying on the linesmen to make the right call every time. it's a risky way to defend and it cost the germans a goal that tied the game.

Scott D
6/9/2006, 09:15 PM
well with Germany it's probably a question of how long they'll be without Michael Ballack. They are probably a better attacking side without him, but more stalwart in defensive responisbility with him.

Scott D
6/9/2006, 09:21 PM
hmm Sven says Rooney will not be among the 16 players in uniform tomorrow against Paruguay....not that it's much of a real surprize.

Cam
6/9/2006, 09:41 PM
hmm Sven says Rooney will not be among the 16 players in uniform tomorrow against Paruguay....not that it's much of a real surprize.
Haven't seen that. That's not a good sign for tomorrow.

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 10:20 PM

I;m sure Sven is crossing his fingers that they don;t need him

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 10:23 PM
poland's problem was a lack of creativity. they never got the ball wide. they just dumped it over the top the WHOLE game and ecuador was supposedly slow, but their job was made much easier by just sitting back and picking off the passes. i expected much more outta the poles but it looks like they're done because they won't beat germany.
So true.

Scott D
6/9/2006, 11:22 PM
I;m sure Sven is crossing his fingers that they don;t need him

based on their warm ups to the Cup, they won't...Crouch is coming in hot, Owen's foot looks healed, and they get Steven Gerrard back to their midfield.

birddog
6/10/2006, 08:59 AM
england 1 paraguay 0. halftime. own goal by paraguay on a set-piece. england has controlled the game and paraguay looks likethey've never played the game before. peter crouch has some decent skills for a big man and joe cole reminds me of george best when he goes at players with the ball. his pace is incredible.

Scott D
6/10/2006, 09:40 AM
Paraguay using a pressing tactic has kept the score down for sure.

Scott D
6/10/2006, 09:53 AM
the pbp guy is decent, he's espn's usual coverage guy for champions league. Marcelo Balboa knows soccer as he was a stalwart on the US National Team for a long time.

King Crimson
6/10/2006, 09:57 AM
i gotta t'row out some props to ABC for putting this on at 7 am MST.....though flipping on the tube that early and seeing Brent Musberger's face was a bit harsh...for Saturday morning. :D

a lot of near misses in that match....ans some good goal play.

birddog
6/10/2006, 10:05 AM
it was dave o'brien and marcelo balboa. o'brien wasn't too knowledgeable he just followed balboa's lead. nice crisp picture though and the camera work was great. these next 2 games will be fun to watch. definitely make sure you watch ivory coast and argentina this afternoon.

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 10:12 AM
It's almost too bad that England scored so quickly. They seemed to settle immediately for 1-0 and did not play with any urgency. Oh well, they didn;t have to in order to get their result. Beckham will get the press for his free kick, even though he was al but invisible for most ofnthe rest, excpet for set pieces. I sure wish one of Lampard's bullets had hit the net.

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 10:13 AM
it was dave o'brien and marcelo balboa. o'brien wasn't too knowledgeable he just followed balboa's lead. nice crisp picture though and the camera work was great. these next 2 games will be fun to watch. definitely make sure you watch ivory coast and argentina this afternoon.
You have a better TV than I do. :O

Scott D
6/10/2006, 10:14 AM
I'm looking forward to Zlatan's performance in the Sweden game. T&T doesn't have anyone that can keep up with him.

GottaHavePride
6/10/2006, 11:16 AM
Wow, it's like you guys follow soccer regularly or something. ;) I'm still trying to watch enough to pick up the subtle rules that I forgot about.

birddog
6/10/2006, 11:34 AM
things will get much more interesting after each team has played a game or 2. usually they come out pretty nervous and then get in the flow as the tournament goes on.

critical_phil
6/10/2006, 11:42 AM
I'm still trying to watch enough to pick up the subtle rules that I forgot about.

only the goalies can touch the ball with their hands.

yw.

birddog
6/10/2006, 11:51 AM
t&t 0 sweden 0. bit of a surprise. halftime.

Scott D
6/10/2006, 11:58 AM
Sweden's had the better chances, but just missing on the right connections to score. T&T has no answer for Zlatan (Ibrahimovic) so far, and it appears a matter of time before Larsson or Ljungberg score.

Scott D
6/10/2006, 12:05 PM
T&T losing Avery John in the beginning of the second half will really hurt their chances.

King Crimson
6/10/2006, 12:06 PM
T&T losing Avery John in the beginning of the second half will really hurt their chances.

yup, red card. so he sits next game too?

King Crimson
6/10/2006, 12:08 PM
i've got the mute on, listening to tunes. somehow the edit feature is not working?

Dr.Quack
6/10/2006, 12:10 PM
Avery John got robbed. His spikes were not high. It was a 50/50 ball. What a terrible call. Now T+T has no choice but to pack in on defense and hang on. The referee betrayed the fans as much as Avery John.

GrapevineSooner
6/10/2006, 12:18 PM
At least he can fly back to Dallas to coach the Mavs in Game 2...

Oh wait, you said Avery John and not Avery Johnson. ;)

Nevermind.

Dr.Quack
6/10/2006, 12:20 PM
Well, so far it has been wild end-to-end action. The send off hasn't taken the air out of the ball. You have to hand it to T+T for courageous play in the face of adversity.

birddog
6/10/2006, 12:23 PM
brent sancho is an old buddy of mine when i lived in portland.

birddog
6/10/2006, 12:29 PM
hislop is keeping t&t around for a little longer. he's made atleast 6 saves that coulda been goals.

birddog
6/10/2006, 12:32 PM
anyone think sweden won't score today? seems like they can't get many quality crosses in the box. t&t has played well defensively.

King Crimson
6/10/2006, 12:33 PM
outside of the "upset/draw" underdog factor...ive been pulling for T&T since one of old grad school profs is from Trinidad. she used to have us over to her place all the time for Caribbean food--this spinach/okra/crab leg/saffron and garlic dish with rice that was AWESOME and fried plaintains....and a lot of red wine.

Go T&T! (though they got to get the play out of their zone, Sweden looks like they ar playing downhill).

GottaHavePride
6/10/2006, 01:00 PM
brent sancho is an old buddy of mine when i lived in portland.

Well, I lost track of how many times he bailed T&T out today - the dude seemed like he was always in the right place to clear the ball out. And Hislop was just unreal - nerves of steel. I can't believe they pulled out a draw after being down a man the entire second half.

Heh. Buncha crying Swedes in the stands. I'd be willing to go over there and console the bikini team. ;)

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 01:12 PM
Anybody who thinks a goalless draw can't be exciting wasn't watching this one. But exciting doesn't equal satisfying (at least if you were for Sweden like I was). I don't know whether to admire T&T for hanging on bravely and still getting a dangerous shot or 2, or to be mad at Sweden for its ineptitude around the goal. Sweden made Hislop the man of the match by putting the ball right at him. I think I'm more mad at Sweden because they "shoulda" won but failed to deliver. Another example of "pretty play counts for nothing if you don't score."
Oh well. It was better than cutting the grass in 92-degree heat!
I'm taping Argentina v. Ivory Coast and pulling for Drogba's boys. I've never liked the Argies, especially since Maradonna's cheating goal vs Eng.

King Crimson
6/10/2006, 01:18 PM
what channel is Arg-Ivory Coast on? there was an interesting story on BBC world service radio this AM about the civil war in the Ivory Coast coming to a complete standstill during the Cup.

GottaHavePride
6/10/2006, 01:41 PM
EDIT: My bad, Arg / I.C. is on ESPN 2. ABC decided PGA golf > World Cup.

Scott D
6/10/2006, 01:53 PM
T&T with the draw could have only been surpassed with them winning in terms of an upset. Sweden made the mistake of getting impatient with their chances late in the first half and it carried over into the second half.

Argentina should win the late match handily. They'll likely dedicate one man to mark Drogba, and have a second shadow him occasionally. Stop him and you stop the Ivory Coast.

Hopefully Javier Saviola shows what made him a few years ago the anticipated next big thing out of Argentina and isn't overshadowed by Hernan Crespo too much.

birddog
6/10/2006, 02:21 PM
*final* t&t 0 sweden 0

GottaHavePride
6/10/2006, 03:00 PM
T&T with the draw could have only been surpassed with them winning in terms of an upset. Sweden made the mistake of getting impatient with their chances late in the first half and it carried over into the second half.

Argentina should win the late match handily. They'll likely dedicate one man to mark Drogba, and have a second shadow him occasionally. Stop him and you stop the Ivory Coast.

Hopefully Javier Saviola shows what made him a few years ago the anticipated next big thing out of Argentina and isn't overshadowed by Hernan Crespo too much.

Yeah, Ivory Coast not looking so hot, down 2-0 at the half.

birddog
6/10/2006, 03:50 PM
2-1. minute left.

birddog
6/10/2006, 03:51 PM
*final* aregentina 2 ivory coast 1.

GottaHavePride
6/10/2006, 05:07 PM
It looked like Ivery coast might've had a shot there in the last ten minutes or so, but they just couldn't put it together.

You know the best part about watching the World Cup? There's nowhere to put commercials! Obviously not an American sport. :D

Scott D
6/10/2006, 05:32 PM
It looked like Ivery coast might've had a shot there in the last ten minutes or so, but they just couldn't put it together.

You know the best part about watching the World Cup? There's nowhere to put commercials! Obviously not an American sport. :D

That was probably the first thing that drew me to watching soccer after hating it after my playing experience. Eventually it grew into watching it for strategizing purposes.

Ivory Coast came with the late pressure, the goal by Drogba was nice. They can now actually view things with having a chance to possibly advance in their group although it is still very unlikely.

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 05:42 PM
****You know the best part about watching the World Cup? There's nowhere to put commercials!****:D
Ain't it nice ?! :D

This was a fun game to watch, even though I wish IC would have scored earlier -- and at least once more than Arg. :rolleyes:

Cam
6/10/2006, 06:07 PM
Over all, a good group of games today.

Eng/Para:
* Pretty uneventful afair.
* Gerrard got jobbed. No way that was a cardable tackle.
* As was mentioned earlier, England pretty much shut it down after the early goal. That type of mind set could cost them in later games.

Argentina/IC:
* This just in, there's a Civil War going on in the nation of the Ivory Coast.
* Drogba is a man among boys. The guy's just a monster.
* Argentina, so far, is looking like one of the best teams. A massive change from 2002.
* IVC has some serious team speed.
* Argentina got robbed of a goal late in the game. Calling somebody offsides on a shot is lame.
* Seeing Heinze(sp) back makes me happy for the upcoming EPL season.
* It's fun to see the imagination of the Ivory Coast team. They played some very interesting passes which lead to some pretty creative build-up.

T&T/Sweden:
* Hislop was the man of the match, but Sancho wasn't too far behind. Very impressive games for both of them.
* Dwight Yorke's playing better now than he has the last 3-4 years.
* Why did T&T insist on going over the top to Stern Johns each and ever time? Did they not notice that the Swedes are pretty damn tall in the back?
* Larson and Zlatan don't appear to be on the same page. I'm not even sure they're looking at the same book.
* Avery Johns got screwed on that 2nd yellow. I wouldn't disagree with a free kick, but it wasn't malicious, it was a 50/50 that he went in harder the the other guy.

On the sad side, it appears that diving is once again on the upward swing. That just plain :succs:.

Jeopardude
6/10/2006, 06:10 PM
Although Argentina's been the best team I've deen so far, I hate their flopping, and their dirty play (that tackle on Drogba was awful). I think IC might do well against Serb & Mont.

And I'm hoping against hope T & T get some goals in next time. If they advance over England or Sweden, the soccer world will be rocked.

TUSooner
6/10/2006, 08:16 PM
Over all, a good group of games today.

Eng/Para:
* Pretty uneventful afair.
* Gerrard got jobbed. No way that was a cardable tackle.
* As was mentioned earlier, England pretty much shut it down after the early goal. That type of mind set could cost them in later games.

Argentina/IC:
* This just in, there's a Civil War going on in the nation of the Ivory Coast.
* Drogba is a man among boys. The guy's just a monster.
* Argentina, so far, is looking like one of the best teams. A massive change from 2002.
* IVC has some serious team speed.
* Argentina got robbed of a goal late in the game. Calling somebody offsides on a shot is lame.
* Seeing Heinze(sp) back makes me happy for the upcoming EPL season.
* It's fun to see the imagination of the Ivory Coast team. They played some very interesting passes which lead to some pretty creative build-up.

T&T/Sweden:
* Hislop was the man of the match, but Sancho wasn't too far behind. Very impressive games for both of them.
* Dwight Yorke's playing better now than he has the last 3-4 years.
* Why did T&T insist on going over the top to Stern Johns each and ever time? Did they not notice that the Swedes are pretty damn tall in the back?
* Larson and Zlatan don't appear to be on the same page. I'm not even sure they're looking at the same book.
* Avery Johns got screwed on that 2nd yellow. I wouldn't disagree with a free kick, but it wasn't malicious, it was a 50/50 that he went in harder the the other guy.

On the sad side, it appears that diving is once again on the upward swing. That just plain :succs:.
I can't find anything to disagree with there. The Swedes looked much the better team than T&T, except for that inability to put one past Hislop. If England sleep walks against Sweden, it'll be a sad day in Old Albion!

Maybe I expect too much from England, but they don't seem to have much of a spark. Trying to hang on to a 1-0 lead with such lackluster play could have resulted in disaster; all it takes to lose a one goal lead is an unlucky bounce or a bad call. I think the FA should have replaced Swen last month, preferably with someone with a pulse.

Cam
6/11/2006, 08:09 AM
Oh, and John Harkes is a complete and total ****** bag.

We had, according to him, the "honor" of meeting him at a bar in Orlando. This was shortly before he was dismissed from the Nat'l team for continually hitting on a couple of his teammates wives. Rumor has it he might have gotten a piece or two.

Anyone who uses the line: Don't you know who I am? ='s ****** bag status for me.

birddog
6/11/2006, 09:15 AM
the dutch are dominating serb&mont. 1-0. holland looks like they always do. always dangerous attacking, spreading the ball around, switching point of attack very well. very solid team. argentina v. holland could be a classic.

birddog
6/11/2006, 09:53 AM
*final* holland 1 serbia&montenegro 0.

silverwheels
6/11/2006, 09:59 AM
Hup Holland! :)

Jeopardude
6/11/2006, 10:01 AM
Good game. LOTS of yellow cards.

I can't wait for the next job: The "They tuk er jobs" versus the Terrists.

/ripped off Fark poster

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 10:06 AM
Not a bad match to start the day. Holland looks like they could give Argentina a challenge.

How about the next one? As much as I despise the Iranian regime for obvious reasons, my wife is an Iranian emigrant, and my in-laws ignore politics when it comes to soccer and the old ancestral homeland. So I guess if I have to chose sides I'll be pulling for the "Persians" on the field, but not off.
Plus, it's not like there's a lot to love about Mexico anyway. They don't exactly love us.

silverwheels
6/11/2006, 10:09 AM
Plus, it's not like there's a lot to love about Mexico anyway. They don't exactly love us.

Exactly. Politics aside, I want Iran to beat Mexico simply because I want Mexico to lose every game. Or they can draw. I'd be fine with that.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 10:18 AM
Exactly. Politics aside, I want Iran to beat Mexico simply because I want Mexico to lose every game. Or they can draw. I'd be fine with that.

I used to try to pull for Mexico for the sake of neighborliness and making CONCACAF more respectable and all that. But I've read so many stories about how crappy their fans are to (real) Americans ;) , and they've played some dirty stuff against our players in the past, like trying to hurt guys, so I give up on trying to like them.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 10:20 AM
I enjoy when Mexico plays since i have several mexican buddies and they are classic....win or lose. with either insane optimism...or the most fantastic excuses....like the Mexican players were up all night hooking up with opposing team's gf's and thusly didn't play very well.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 10:22 AM
didn't Iran eliminate us in 98? not that that has anything to do with today's game, just curious.

silverwheels
6/11/2006, 10:26 AM
didn't Iran eliminate us in 98? not that that has anything to do with today's game, just curious.

We eliminated ourselves with a fantastic 0-3 showing in '98.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 10:31 AM
I enjoy when Mexico plays since i have several mexican buddies and they are classic....win or lose. with either insane optimism...or the most fantastic excuses....like the Mexican players were up all night hooking up with opposing team's gf's and thusly didn't play very well.
heh. I know a hole in the wall Mexican joint that will be jumpimg right about now. :D

Cam
6/11/2006, 10:37 AM
I kind of look at Iran/Mexico the same as the last Rose Bowl.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 10:46 AM
I didn't realize that Iran was minus 2 starters; plus Mex has incentive to play an inspired game for the keeper. I think Mexico will win 2-1.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 10:48 AM
heh. I know a hole in the wall Mexican joint that will be jumpimg right about now. :D

don't i know it....where i used to live at 32nd and Tejon in the Highlands (NW Denver--great neighborhhod, BTW)....they are probably ALREADY sold out of 3.2 beer at all the 7-11's.

:D

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 10:49 AM
this Sharapova commercial is pretty dumb.

Cam
6/11/2006, 10:49 AM
We eliminated ourselves with a fantastic 0-3 showing in '98.
Yeah, 98 was pathetic. Getting beat by Iran was just icing on the cake.

When those groups were announced, I remember thinking the USA/Iran game was a no-win situation.

Cam
6/11/2006, 10:52 AM
Mexico should win handily. Then again, I said the same thing about Sweden/T&T.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, 98 was pathetic. Getting beat by Iran was just icing on the cake.

When those groups were announced, I remember thinking the USA/Iran game was a no-win situation.
Me too. I wanted to run my inlaws out of the house on that one. I was rather cool to them for a few days...

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 11:03 AM
Of course, we could view this one as the Catholics vs the Muslims. :rolleyes:

Scott D
6/11/2006, 11:13 AM
Mexico *should* win, however I'd rather see Iran win.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 11:14 AM
Iran with a nasty little crossing chance....and another....

Cam
6/11/2006, 11:14 AM
Iran misses a golden opportunity in the 11th minute. One minute later, the Mexican goalie makes a great save to his left to stop a sure goal.

Ref seems to be letting them play so far.

Cam
6/11/2006, 11:23 AM
I'm trying to remember a time when I've seen a Mexican player get a yellow card that they agreed with. Not sure how he could dispute this one. Dude whacked him pretty good in the knee.

Cam
6/11/2006, 11:30 AM
Goal Mexico in the 28th minute.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 11:31 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLL L!!!!!

Oh, sorry.

birddog
6/11/2006, 11:38 AM
iran 1 mexico 1. 37th minute.

Cam
6/11/2006, 11:38 AM
Goal Iran in the 36th minute off of a corner kick.

Sanchez kind of got caught in no mans land. Not sure what he was trying to do. His d didn't mark up either.

All tied up at 1.

birddog
6/11/2006, 11:40 AM
i can't pull for any team whose fans throw bags of crap and whiz at our players. go iran. forget politics for now.

bri
6/11/2006, 11:45 AM
So, is the winner of this match officially the US's biggest threat? :D

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Sanchez kind of got caught in no mans land. Not sure what he was trying to do. His d didn't mark up either.

looked like on the ground level replay from the opposite sideline of teh actual corner....he got fooled by the extent of the curve of the kick and once he committed he got pulled too far out.

birddog
6/11/2006, 11:49 AM
one apiece. halftime. hell of a game thus far. good times.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 11:53 AM
So, is the winner of this match officially the US's biggest threat? :D
Heh. The Joint Chiefs of Staff are watching this one closely so they know where to send the cruise missiles after the game.

A pretty physical game, but not much swan diving as far as I can tell.

The Mex keeper looked blocked by his won man, keeping him from catching that headed corner. And did the Iranian shoot that ball between a defender's legs?

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 11:56 AM
I can't wait for the US to actually play - they commenators have already asked every American in Germany "What must the USA do?" and "Does the USA have a chance?" :rolleyes:

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 11:56 AM
Mexico has had so many chances, and has only come away with one goal

birddog
6/11/2006, 12:15 PM
iran is packing in the defense now. they'll be content with 1 point. mexico needs 3 points much worse than iran.

Cam
6/11/2006, 12:37 PM
Mexico goal in the 76th minute on a mistake by the Iranian goalie and defender.

Mexico 2
Iran 1

dolemitesooner
GOAL MEXICO....that was nice

Cam
Another goal for Mexico in the 79th minute. Best goal of the game so far IMO.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 12:38 PM
that was pretty textbook...

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 12:38 PM
DOWN WITH THE PERSIAN BEONCYES...gooooaaallllll!!!!!!

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 12:39 PM
That Mexi goal was inevitable. First Iran gives up on offense, then they dirty their diaper in the back. Very sloppy.
And ANOTHER

Mrs TU says this is the Iranian strategy: Lose early so they have more time to shop. :rolleyes:

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 12:40 PM
2nd half: Iran = PWN3D!!!1

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 12:41 PM
That Mexi goal was inevitable. First Iran gives up on offense, then they dirty their diaper in the back. Very sloppy.
And ANOTHER

Mrs TU says this is the Iranian strategy: Lose early so they have more time to shop. :rolleyes:

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 12:43 PM
Mexico's 3rd goal WAS a beauty.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 12:51 PM
Final: 3-1

The 2d half showed how much superior Mexico is.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I wondered what the hell Mexico was thinking using all their substitutions right off the bat, but it seems to have worked for them.

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 12:57 PM
I can't wait till tommorw to watch the Usa vs. Czech

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 01:12 PM
Heck yeah.

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 01:18 PM
I have to work so I am going to tivo it ...then come home tyrn off my phone ...Not even think about getting on here ad then watch it........GO USA YOU MOTHER FOCKIN BEONCYES

Jeopardude
6/11/2006, 01:22 PM
As much as I root against Mexico (which player of theirs spit on a USA player in 02?), you've gotta like a coach smoking a cigarette on the sideline a la Switzer.

Mexico got the luckiest draw for a group. They'll be making the 16 for sure.

birddog
6/11/2006, 01:45 PM
portugal plays angola in 15 minutes. portugal will be looking to get through the first round this time. in '02 they were favorites to win the cup but the young lads from the u.s. shocked them in the opening game. they never recovered and went home early. i'm sure they'll do everything possible to avoid that against angola today.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 01:59 PM
As much as I root against Mexico (which player of theirs spit on a USA player in 02?), you've gotta like a coach smoking a cigarette on the sideline a la Switzer.

Mexico got the luckiest draw for a group. They'll be making the 16 for sure.

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 02:00 PM
portugal plays angola in 15 minutes. portugal will be looking to get through the first round this time. in '02 they were favorites to win the cup but the young lads from the u.s. shocked them in the opening game. they never recovered and went home early. i'm sure they'll do everything possible to avoid that against angola today.
That was amazing in '02

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:00 PM
good lord, portugal almost scored 10 secs. into the match.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 02:01 PM
I'm proud of myself right now. I mowed & edged front & back, set the sprinkler and drank a beer between games. Now I'm gettin the couch all sweaty & dirty. :O

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:03 PM
btw, ou is beating rice right now.6th inning.

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:03 PM
goal portugal.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 02:04 PM
political and historical side note: Angola is a former colony of Portugal. got to think this is a pretty big game for Angola.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 02:06 PM
political and historical side note: Angola is a former colony of Portugal. got to think this is a pretty big game for Angola.

This may not be news, but I heard the history of these teams playing each others is somethinmg like:
1989 - Portugal 6-0
2000 - Portugal 5-1; game called because Angola got red-carded down to 7 players. :eek:

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 02:19 PM
btw, ou is beating rice right now.6th inning.

Rohlinger homers to stretch Sooner lead to 7-5. still b 7th.

edit: 7th inning, not 6.

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:19 PM
8-5 ou. 7th.

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:24 PM
sweet. 9-5 ou.

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:25 PM
angola turning up the pressure. settling for long range shots though. 26th min. 1-0.

Scott D
6/11/2006, 02:44 PM
Cristano Ronaldo is getting closer and closer to scoring..first the header off the crossbar, then two great shots with great saves by Angola's keeper.

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah those were great saves...Ronaldo is good

birddog
6/11/2006, 02:46 PM
yeah, it's good to see him in a much more attscking role. he's got skills to play in the middle or out wide. very versatile player.

Scott D
6/11/2006, 02:56 PM
I can watch that Joga Bonito - Skills commercial over and over...him and Zlatan Ibrahimovic..wow.

birddog
6/11/2006, 03:00 PM
a former college teammate of mine, lee edgerton, played for the u.s in the 2004 futsal world championship. he said the brazilians were sick. i don't doubt it.

birddog
6/11/2006, 03:02 PM
thank god i got a tv at the restaurant or i'd miss the boys tomorrow morning. i can't miss that one.

Scott D
6/11/2006, 03:22 PM
I'll miss part of the game tomorrow for work...but sadly I'm happy to not be working on Tuesday to watch Brazil.

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 03:26 PM
Man angola is playing so well on d they just cant get a goal

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 03:26 PM
I am going to tivo it tommorw

birddog
6/11/2006, 03:32 PM
stay far way from this thread. it's gonna be a helluva game. our youth and speed against their power and experience.

birddog
6/11/2006, 03:40 PM
i feel comfortable leaving now to go fishing. 10 minutes left and not much goin' on. spek to doleo and scotty.

Cam
6/11/2006, 03:46 PM
I've gotta leave for an indoor game. With luck, I'll be able to walk tomorrow. Better yet, maybe I won't and I'll be able to stay at my desk during the entire game...

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 03:56 PM
Angola put up one hell of a fight....I think they can beat Iran. I think mexco will pound them ...but I will be routing for Angola.

King Crimson
6/11/2006, 03:57 PM
they had a couple decent chances there in the last couple minutes.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 03:58 PM
I'm working from home tomorrow. :D

dolemitesooner
6/11/2006, 04:09 PM
they had a couple decent chances there in the last couple minutes.
Yeah....They played well..Portagal is just so good.

The goal Keeper for Angola had some amazing saves

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 04:09 PM
stay far way from this thread. it's gonna be a helluva game. our youth and speed against their power and experience.

I thought at some point they flashed up a stat that the US team has the second-highest number of players with previous World Cup experience.

Oh, and Angola looked like they were playing too defensively - every time they got a guy in striking distance he had absolutely no help to take the pressure off him. They only really had one good shot all game and the Portuguese goalie handled it easily.

snp
6/11/2006, 05:40 PM
Wow, there's this many soccer fans at SF.com? I might've logged in and joined the fun. I'll know better for tomorrow.

birddog
6/11/2006, 05:52 PM
age-wise we are young. we have alot of players from 2002 that ranged from 20-25 yeard of age. now they have 4 years of training together on the national team and they bring world cup experience. the czechs have alot of guys that are in their 30's. our team is made up of guys in their mid to late-20's.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 06:49 PM
Ah. So we're playing a team full of over-the-hill geezers? ;)

Spray
6/11/2006, 07:05 PM
I love Figo.

TUSooner
6/11/2006, 07:05 PM
I'm eager to see how our best 11 stack up against top flight competition. I've mainly seen a few friendlies where Arena was taking a look at players on the bubble.

Cam
6/11/2006, 08:46 PM
Ah. So we're playing a team full of over-the-hill geezers? ;)
:eddie: :mad:

Signed,
The 30 something crowd.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 08:59 PM
Heh. Considering how the announcers are all talking about how far past his prime David Beckham is and how this is likely his last World Cup and he's only 31... ;)

Cam
6/11/2006, 09:08 PM
Heh. Considering how the announcers are all talking about how far past his prime David Beckham is and how this is likely his last World Cup and he's only 31... ;)
Yeah, that makes me feel a little old.

I'm the oldest on my current team, and they somehow think I should be playing midfield. I told them I can run one way. It'll either be to the offensive end, or recovering to the defensive end. I cannot, however, run both ways more than once or twice a game. My body just can't handle it.

Jeopardude
6/11/2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that makes me feel a little old.

I'm the oldest on my current team, and they somehow think I should be playing midfield. I told them I can run one way. It'll either be to the offensive end, or recovering to the defensive end. I cannot, however, run both ways more than once or twice a game. My body just can't handle it.

I played full court b ball at 6 o'clock today. I'm in pain now. Stupid aging.

Hey, are any places having World Cup watching tomorrow?

Cam
6/11/2006, 09:37 PM

I'll be watching from my desk at work. I would assume that Fox & Hound, Emerson Biggins, ect would have the game on.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2006, 09:37 PM

Um, other than my house?

Oh, and I haven't played soccer in forever, Cam. When I did I usually played goalie, though.

silverwheels
6/11/2006, 10:56 PM

Heh. I played middie for a long time. Outside midfield, in fact. That was a lot of running; I'm not gonna lie.

Scott D
6/12/2006, 12:50 AM
heh....I played mostly left midfield, occasionally they put me at central defender because I had a height advantage on most kids on opposing teams. I just wish my bastage of a coach had let me play center forward a few times.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 12:55 AM
heh....I played mostly left midfield, occasionally they put me at central defender because I had a height advantage on most kids on opposing teams. I just wish my bastage of a coach had let me play center forward a few times.

Everyone wants to play CF. :D

I had a good scoring touch, but I played on a crappy team so I had to play midfield so I could help both offense and defense. I could have played keeper, too, if I were taller. You don't see many 5'6" goalies around.

Scott D
6/12/2006, 01:02 AM
Everyone wants to play CF. :D

I had a good scoring touch, but I played on a crappy team so I had to play midfield so I could help both offense and defense. I could have played keeper, too, if I were taller. You don't see many 5'6" goalies around.

heh that was when I was 12....by the time I was a senior in high school I'd probably want to be a central defender only. Somewhere along the line my mind was warped into thinking that defense is the **** because it's more of a challenge to stop someone from scoring than to score yourself...and I mean that in every sport.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 01:06 AM
heh that was when I was 12....by the time I was a senior in high school I'd probably want to be a central defender only. Somewhere along the line my mind was warped into thinking that defense is the **** because it's more of a challenge to stop someone from scoring than to score yourself...and I mean that in every sport.

Yeah, defense is fun, but there's nothing like the thrill of executing a perfect set piece or burying a ball into the back of the net, to borrow a phrase from Tommy Smyth.

snp
6/12/2006, 01:21 AM
Ex soccer players unite!

I played sweeper or left fullback my whole life until my dad became coach of the team and realized "Hey, my son is the fastest kid on the field, how about we put him at CF when we need some offense"

And it worked.

The funnest thing for defense is intercepting a ball and looking forward and there's nowhere for about 30 yards. Time to go nuts and dribble for once!

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 09:00 AM
Japan up 1-0 over the Aussies on a controversial non-call at the half.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 09:52 AM
Holy carp! Aussies pour in three goals in the last 10 minutes of play to win their first ever World Cup match 3-1 over Japan.

Woot!

birddog
6/12/2006, 09:59 AM
i saw that. japan tried to defend for 25 minutes.

birddog
6/12/2006, 10:00 AM
the deuce is talking good stuff on our team. 1 hour to go.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 10:14 AM
Do we need an official game thread, or are we going to be pretty much stuck to tvs except for halftime?

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 10:31 AM
Holy carp! Aussies pour in three goals in the last 10 minutes of play to win their first ever World Cup match 3-1 over Japan.

Woot!
That's a fair dinkum win for the Aussies - and I miss it because I had to take the dog to the vet. :mad:

birddog
6/12/2006, 10:32 AM
stuck.

birddog
6/12/2006, 10:32 AM
i kinda have both goin' even though it's really only for my own amusement.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, that took 5 whole mins :mad:
CZE - 1
USA - 0
7 min

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the big time; Czechs make it look easy with a leisurely cross and virtually a free header.
1-0 CR in the 5th minute

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 11:11 AM
If this is like the other 1st round games where the favorite scored first, a snooze-fest is likely and there will be no need to miss a single pitch of the OU game. :rolleyes:

TripleOption14
6/12/2006, 11:30 AM
Just goes to show that the only sport Americans are good at anymore is a sport that we only play! And thats American Football. Sure there is the CFL and NFLEL but those are just farm systems for the NFL. All the other sports we've either been caught or passed as far a talent goes. In baseball the latin countries have caught and passed us, in basketball the European players have caught us, and futbol well.... just look at the score 5 min. into the match. Tennis...no more American power, golf still has Tiger but even that gets lost in the fold sometimes.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2006, 11:33 AM
Just goes to show that the only sport Americans are good at anymore is a sport that we only play! And thats American Football. Sure there is the CFL and NFLEL but those are just farm systems for the NFL. All the other sports we've either been caught or passed as far a talent goes. In baseball the latin countries have caught and passed us, in basketball the European players have caught us, and futbol well.... just look at the score 5 min. into the match. Tennis...no more American power, golf still has Tiger but even that gets lost in the fold sometimes.

Let's let it at least get to half-time before we cancel the U.S. Soccer program.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 11:39 AM
Let's let it at least get to half-time before we cancel the U.S. Soccer program.
really. :rolleyes:

That second goal was a cracker! We've hit the post and worked it around the box, but somebody needs to step up to the plate ;)

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 11:50 AM
Gah. supa.gah - we look :stunned: out there.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 11:53 AM
2-0 is generally a lopsided score; I'm hoping for a miracle. At this level you need something special in the attacking end and I'm afraid the USA don't got nuthin that special. And the Czechs will sit back and make a comeback even more difficult. Dang, I'd feel a lot better if it was only 1-0.

buhhhhhh!!!!!

dolemitesooner
6/12/2006, 11:59 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!!1111

bri
6/12/2006, 11:59 AM
So, this is our WC to suck? I lose track of the "suck/own" rotation. :D

dolemitesooner
6/12/2006, 12:01 PM
dUDE GO HIDE UNDER A ROCK.:mad:

dolemitesooner
6/12/2006, 12:01 PM
So, this is our WC to suck? I lose track of the "suck/own" rotation. :D
iTS NOT ****ING OVER:mad:

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2006, 12:08 PM
Was it over when the Czechs bombed Pearl Harbor? ;)

bri
6/12/2006, 12:09 PM
iTS NOT ****ING OVER:mad:

Dude, this one is. Two-nil is the soccer equivalent to being down 49-0 at the half. ;)

This is the thing I hate about the WC, though. You can't carry over any momentum from one tourney to the next. That was an incredible run we had four years ago...but it was four years ago. :(

ouflak
6/12/2006, 12:21 PM
Is it just me and my lack of understanding for the game, or is the U.S. team just not very good?

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 12:24 PM
Is it just me and my lack of understanding for the game, or is the U.S. team just not very good?

They should be, but they're not playing like it. Plus the Czechs are pretty good, too.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 12:40 PM
I'm no expert, but I think that third goal was a bad thing.

I don't think the US is THIS bad. The score doesn't lie, but...
first goal - bad on US
second goal - just a totally awesome shot
third goal - ehh, I'll say it's because we took a chance playing with only 3 defenders in an effort to generate some offense.

However, some pundit said back in March that the US was blowing some good chances to play some tough competition leading up to the WC; now I believe it.

It's a bad day, but there are two more chances to show some good stuff.

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2006, 12:43 PM
Well, they better beat Italy now.

And I'd assume the first tie breaker in World Cup pool play is goal differential.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 12:45 PM
I do sort-of admire the Czechs for not taking their foot off the gas. AT least THEIR fans are getting some enjoyment!

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, the Czechs ARE good. This ain't Iran, Angola, or T&T we're playing.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 12:57 PM
Oh yeah, the Czechs ARE good. This ain't Iran, Angola, or T&T we're playing.

Yeah, they are, but I expected us to at least look like we wanted to play.

Dr.Quack
6/12/2006, 12:59 PM
Okay, the Czechs are good. That's given. But that was the most disorganized, weak, aimless performance by a World Cup side I've seen in a long time. Maybe that loss to Morocco at home in a friendly should have served as more of a wake-up call, but everyone denied the devil rather than facing facts. Team USA needs to play world-class competition on a more regular basis unless we want to go on looking shell shocked against elite foes. The time to nurture the players' fragile psyches against Latvia rather than step up and prepare against elite teams should be over. We were quarter-finalists four years ago. You want to win big matches, you have to play some. That was a disgusting performance as confused and impotent as could have been feared. How many times did we float our few chances into the box for aerial attacks? Did we win one aerial battle all match against the tall Czechs? NO. On the ground, we had a chance to make things happen. Ugh. I'm just so disappointed. I hope we regroup and pull something together next match.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, they are, but I expected us to at least look like we wanted to play.
yeh... Just trying to give a little credit to the other guys.

Eddie Johnson was the only gleam of dim light for us.
3-0 is crashing disappoinmemt no matter how you look at it, and it was a totally legit 3-0.

Jeopardude
6/12/2006, 01:04 PM
Okay, the Czechs are good. That's given. But that was the most disorganized, weak, aimless performance by a World Cup side I've seen in a long time. Maybe that loss to Morocco at home in a friendly should have served as more of a wake-up call, but everyone denied the devil rather than facing facts. Team USA needs to play world-class competition on a more regular basis unless we want to go on looking shell shocked against elite foes. The time to nurture the players' fragile psyches against Latvia rather than step up and prepare against elite teams should be over. We were quarter-finalists four years ago. You want to win big matches, you have to play some. That was a disgusting performance as confused and impotent as could have been feared. How many times did we float our few chances into the box for aerial attacks? Did we win one aerial battle all match against the tall Czechs? NO. On the ground, we had a chance to make things happen. Ugh. I'm just so disappointed. I hope we regroup and pull something together next match.

Best summary yet.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 01:06 PM

What jeopardude said.

soonerscuba
6/12/2006, 01:06 PM
Hopefully we can get out of our group in 2nd, go play Brazil, beat them, and then it is all downhill from there. Glass half full, people.

Jeopardude
6/12/2006, 01:08 PM
Jeez, US loses a game. A game they deserve to lose and people are coming to criticize soccer itself? The game's great; our performance today was SHOCKINGLY BAD.

Let's see if Arena can adjust and regroup the team.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 01:08 PM
yeh... Just trying to give a little credit to the other guys.

Oh yeah, they deserve a lot of credit for shellacking us. Nedved was a wizard out there and Rosicky was amazing. His first goal was just sick. Helluva shot.

Jeopardude
6/12/2006, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah, they deserve a lot of credit for shellacking us. Nedved was a wizard out there and Rosicky was amazing. His first goal was just sick. Helluva shot.

Correct about Rosicky. Even better than that last German goal.

King Crimson
6/12/2006, 01:23 PM
back from my buddy's place and the game....pretty disappointing performance but the Czechs outplayed us wire to wire.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2006, 01:23 PM
It looks like every time we approached the goal we, how to put this... we brought the weak tot action. Aside from that one shot that beaned off the post, our shots looked slow and weak - easy for a good goalkeeper (and Cech is one of the best) to pick off.

A Ghana-Italy tie this afternoon would really help us out of our hole.

Aside from that, I can't feel too down about getting beat by the #2 team in the world, but the way we lost was a little disappointing.

Dr.Quack
6/12/2006, 01:24 PM
No doubt the Czech side made poetry out of their chances and were rock solid on defense. They might have beaten a good team today. Too bad our side didn't give them that chance. I'm still trying to find one positive thing to take from this game from an American perspective. It looked as bad or worse for us than France '98. I mean the Australians looked confused for 84 minutes before blowing up on Japan, Costa Rica looked hapless for small stretches of their match with Germany, some sloppy skills were displayed by Ivory Coast during isolated parts of their match; but none of those sides spent 1/10 as much time looking totally out-classed as we did today. OY!

Okay, here's my best effort to cheer myself up. The Czechs might hand Italy and Ghana losses. They're capable of tearing through qualifying undefeated. We should be able to play at least even with Ghana. Yes, they won the African qualifying, but we shouldn't walk on the field feeling anything but positive. Then there's Italy, a side with a tendency toward making opera out of the first round. They almost have to lose or draw a match they should win so their fans can fire up the doom-and-gloom arias that inevitably accompany an Italian World Cup campaign. Let's be the side that cues the orchestra, and may the opera begin. We still MIGHT advance.

Jeopardude
6/12/2006, 01:27 PM
No doubt the Czech side made poetry out of their chances and were rock solid on defense. They might have beaten a good team today. Too bad our side didn't give them that chance. I'm still trying to find one positive thing to take from this game from an American perspective. It looked as bad or worse for us than France '98. I mean the Australians looked confused for 84 minutes before blowing up on Japan, Costa Rica looked hapless for small stretches of their match with Germany, some sloppy skills were displayed by Ivory Coast during isolated parts of their match; but none of those sides spent 1/10 as much time looking totally out-classed as we did today. OY!

Okay, here's my best effort to cheer myself up. The Czechs might hand Italy and Ghana losses. They're capable of tearing through qualifying undefeated. We should be able to play at least even with Ghana. Yes, they won the African qualifying, but we shouldn't walk on the field feeling anything but positive. Then there's Italy, a side with a tendency toward making opera out of the first round. They almost have to lose or draw a match they should win so their fans can fire up the doom-and-gloom arias that inevitably accompany an Italian World Cup campaign. Let's be the side that cues the orchestra, and may the opera begin. We still MIGHT advance.

I demand more posts from Dr. Quack! :D

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 01:28 PM

That's the ticket! :D

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 01:30 PM
Yay optimism! Boo negativity!

GDC
6/12/2006, 02:40 PM
Thank god now I can go back to not giving a **** about soccer for another four years.

Scott D
6/12/2006, 02:56 PM
This game showed that our top 5 ranking was probably undeserved, and that the Czechs top ten ranking was justified. The problem with the Czechs is that they play Jeckyl and Hyde...today we saw Jeckyl. Hopefully what Arena learned from this is that you either play Beasley on the LEFT, Center, or Forward..but NEVER on the Right. Why he started screwing with positioning today is beyond me...but if he keeps it up, we'll be looking for a new coach again.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 02:57 PM
Thank god now I can go back to not giving a **** about soccer for another four years.

bye

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 03:02 PM
This game showed that our top 5 ranking was probably undeserved, and that the Czechs top ten ranking was justified. The problem with the Czechs is that they play Jeckyl and Hyde...today we saw Jeckyl. Hopefully what Arena learned from this is that you either play Beasley on the LEFT, Center, or Forward..but NEVER on the Right. Why he started screwing with positioning today is beyond me...but if he keeps it up, we'll be looking for a new coach again.
Arena flat out said he "got nothing" from Beasley. He also said Donovan showed no aggressiveness. Duh.

I sort-of appreciate that Donovan helps MLS by playing in it; MLS needs more good players. On the other hand, MLS can not get you ready for the World Cup like playing in Europe will. Donova did not look ready for the WC.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 03:08 PM

Then you can continue obssessing over Texas and let us continue talking about soccer.

GDC
6/12/2006, 03:10 PM
bye

Yeah, I'll stay out of the thousands of other soccer threads we have around here too.:rolleyes:

Hey, where's the OU soccer forum? Oh, that's right. WE DON'T HAVE ONE, because NO ONE CARES.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I'll stay out of the thousands of other soccer threads we have around here too.:rolleyes:

Hey, where's the OU soccer forum? Oh, that's right. WE DON'T HAVE ONE, because NO ONE CARES.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/TheAdamCK/ErrorMessage2.png

You can leave now.

TripleOption14
6/12/2006, 03:12 PM
dUDE GO HIDE UNDER A ROCK.:mad:

The truth hurts doesn't it!! :eek:

Some of you guys need to wake up and stop drinking the US kool-aid that the media has been feeding us. As i said earlier..American Football is the only thing that we still have PERIOD! If you can't see that then you simply don't wanna see it.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 03:29 PM

How pathetic is it to post crap in a thread that doesn't even interest you?

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 03:31 PM
The truth hurts doesn't it!! :eek:

Some of you guys need to wake up and stop drinking the US kool-aid that the media has been feeding us. As i said earlier..American Football is the only thing that we still have PERIOD! If you can't see that then you simply don't wanna see it.

We like something you don't.
BFD.
Am I supposed to be upset because YOU don't care?
WTF :confused:

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 03:33 PM
I'm only watching the Italy - Ghana game with one eye, but it seems like Essien is putting on a good show, even though Ghana's not getting anything to show for it so far.

GDC
6/12/2006, 03:34 PM
I resent being told I'm supposed to care and having it rammed down my throat for the sake of the bottom lines of Disney, adidas, Nike, and others.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 03:35 PM
I'm only watching the Italy - Ghana game with one eye, but it seems like Essien is putting on a good show, even though Ghana's not getting anything to show for it so far.

Yeah, Ghana's holding their own for the most part, but they don't have the same type of scoring touch that Italy has.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2006, 03:35 PM

Dude!! You can watch TV with yours!? :D

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 03:36 PM
I resent being told I'm supposed to care and having it rammed down my throat for the sake of the bottom lines of Disney, adidas, Nike, and others.

So? You think I give a **** about the NBA Finals or MLB? No, but that crap is everywhere and you don't see me bitching about it. Sack up, get smart, and leave the thread. For everyone's benefit.

GDC
6/12/2006, 03:38 PM
So? You think I give a **** about the NBA Finals or MLB? No, but that crap is everywhere and you don't see me bitching about it. Sack up, get smart, and leave the thread. For everyone's benefit.

At least those are American sports.

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 03:42 PM
At least those are American sports.

Good one. :rolleyes:

I don't care if they're American or not, baseball and pro basketball do not interest me nearly as much as soccer does. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but if you don't like soccer then stay out of the damn thread. I don't go into your Yankees thread or whatever and crap all over the place, so respect soccer fans and get the **** out.

Dr.Quack
6/12/2006, 03:46 PM
I hate watching Italy. Their melodramatics bug me. I thought Ghana deserved a PK, so did the crowd, so did the announcers. Oh well. Now it's 2-nil. One thing watching the Italians jump on top of one another celebrating has done for me is made me hungry to see the US regroup and shock them Saturday. Please!

I ***SAID*** "please."

silverwheels
6/12/2006, 03:52 PM
Italy looked solid today, particularly on the attack. Lots of running into space and through balls.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 03:52 PM
Me too. I care because... I just learned to like the game years ago.

BTW, Everybody says we're supposed to get all foamng at the mouth over the BCS Champ game, the Super Bowl, the World Series and all kinds of stuff. Do you hate those events too? Everything is hyped to death these days. I hate the hype, but I still watch stuff I like.

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 03:55 PM
I hate watching Italy. Their melodramatics bug me. I thought Ghana deserved a PK, so did the crowd, so did the announcers. Oh well. Now it's 2-nil. One thing watching the Italians jump on top of one another celebrating has done for me is made me hungry to see the US regroup and shock them Saturday. Please!

I ***SAID*** "please."

So true. I watched a few Serie A games and decided that the Italians are the biggest ankle-grabbers, dive-takers, and fakers of all.
That no-PK call was big - and wrong.

birddog
6/12/2006, 04:10 PM
i'm glad i have a little more culture and perspective in my life than some people. the americans are playing in a world event. a sport every country in the world loves but the u.s, and i'm not supposed to like it? that is the most ethnocentric, close-minded thing EVAR. 1 billion people watched the opener between germany and costa rica. not the final, the OPENING GAME. roughly 8 times more people than the super bowl.
not much to say about the game. we looked like little kids. we got dominated ever way possible. when you allow a goal 5 minutes into the game you make it easy for the other team. we had speed and quickness but that doesn't matter when you have to find your way thru 8-9 defenders packed into 40 yards.
we needed a draw between italy and ghana. it's going to be difficult to make up 3 points. i think we'll regroup somehow and get 4 points. not sure that's enough. we'll see.

GDC
6/12/2006, 04:36 PM
Gosh, youse guys sure take your futbol seriously around here.;)

TUSooner
6/12/2006, 04:38 PM
Italy looked solid today, particularly on the attack. Lots of running into space and through balls.

I was working at home (really working, honest! ) and only had the game on in another room. I had to turn around in my chair to see it. Not a fun way to do it, and I missed some good stuff.