PDA

View Full Version : **World Cup Thread**

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Scott D
7/4/2006, 04:56 PM
look at the bright side people who weren't rooting for Italy...this is what they'll have to look forward to once the World Cup is over.

Relegation sought for all clubs in Italy scandal

ROME, July 4 (Reuters) - Champions Juventus should be relegated to the third division and three other top clubs thrown out of Italian soccer's top league, the prosecutor in a sports match-fixing trial said on Tuesday.

Stefano Palazzi told the tribunal that AC Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina should be despatched to Italy's second division, Serie B, and Juve also stripped of the Serie A titles they won in the last two seasons.

The prosecutor's demands are more severe than expected and came just hours before Italy were due to play World Cup hosts Germany in the semi-final in Dortmund at 9.00 p.m. (1900 GMT).

Juve are at the centre of Italy's biggest sporting trial after phone taps revealed one of its top managers discussing referee appointments with officials. Palazzi said Juventus should be relegated to 'below Serie B'.

The prospect of Italy's most successful team plummeting into the also-rans of soccer sent a shiver through investors and the Milan stock exchange suspended Juve's shares.

In another blow, Juventus said coach Fabio Capello had resigned. Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon said on Monday he would appoint Capello, one of Italian soccer's most successful managers, as coach to the Spanish giants.

Juve stock was indicated down almost 14 percent soon after the trial news broke. Shares were indicated down 3.72 percent at 1.29 euros at 1200 GMT.

Eight of the players likely to be in Italy's opening 11 against Germany are from teams standing trial. Juventus has five players in the Italy squad and three playing for France.

Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, the billionaire who owns AC Milan, said he was 'indignant' at the prosecutor's request to relegate his club and said Milan should be handed Juve's last two titles if the Turin team were found guilty.

'Milan have never had refereeing favours, on the contrary, they've been victims of refereeing favours in favour of other clubs,' he said.

After two days of procedural wrangling, the sports trial at Rome's Olympic stadium began in earnest on Tuesday with some of the 26 defendants - club officials, football federation staff, referees and linesmen - personally pleading their case.

The tribunal has said it aims to deliver its verdicts on July 10, the day after the World Cup final in Berlin. All the accused have denied wrongdoing.

Former Juve chief executive Antonio Giraudo was one of the first to speak.

'All kinds of things go on in football: people give Rolexes to referees, people fix the accounts. What I'm saying is that this is an environment in which you have to protect yourself,' he said.

Palazzi asked for Giraudo to be handed a five-year ban plus a 5,000 euro fine for every instance of sporting fraud.

He asked for the same punishment for Luciano Moggi, Juve's former general manager, for brothers Diego and Andrea Della Valle, the owner and president of Fiorentina, and for Claudio Lotito, the chairman of Lazio.

He also asked for all four teams to have points docked at the start of next season.

The lawyer representing former Italian Football Federation (FIGC) official Paolo Bergamo announced that his client had surrendered his membership of the FIGC and was not therefore liable to be tried by the sports tribunal.

Bergamo used to conduct the draw that assigned referees to Serie A matches.

Lawyer Gaetano Scalise criticised the tribunal's decision to allow intercepted telephone calls to be used as evidence and attacked the 'media circus' around the trial.

Those found guilty can appeal and the appeals process must be finished by July 27 - the deadline set by European soccer's ruling body for the FIGC to submit the list of teams for next season's Champions League and UEFA Cup competition.

silverwheels
7/4/2006, 04:59 PM
Italy = embarrassment to soccer at both the international level and the club level.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 05:11 PM
You'd think that would be in the news more over here. I mean, that's way larger-scale than the Pete Rose business.

TUSooner
7/4/2006, 05:36 PM
Can you imagine if the Yankees were caught rigging the selection of umpires for their games? That's how big this is. I hope they hammer the p!ss out of the guilty.

Scott D
7/4/2006, 06:29 PM
Can you imagine if the Yankees were caught rigging the selection of umpires for their games? That's how big this is. I hope they hammer the p!ss out of the guilty.

more like Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox and Twins.

TUSooner
7/4/2006, 08:29 PM
more like Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox and Twins.
EXactly.

Just got thru watching Zidane vs Brazil. I hope the old geezer has something left for POrtugal!

Scott D
7/4/2006, 10:12 PM
More Juventus possibility fallout.

Juventus will definitely be relegated to Serie B (if not the Serie C drop that the tribunal is recommending). In light of that they stand to lose nearly 80% of their current roster to transfers and release clauses.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 11:14 PM
More Juventus possibility fallout.

Juventus will definitely be relegated to Serie B (if not the Serie C drop that the tribunal is recommending). In light of that they stand to lose nearly 80% of their current roster to transfers and release clauses.

Juventus gets a big one of these:

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/macros/banhamster.jpg

Paperclip
7/5/2006, 12:49 AM
I still can't get used to referring to countries as third person plural.

Dr.Quack
7/5/2006, 08:48 AM
Italy ARE still a problem for me. (Yeah, that does feel weird.) I know their tactics worked against Germany. It wasn't too much fun to watch 105 minutes of Germany's futile efforts to break down a skillful but packed-in defense. For the last 15 minutes, when Italy decided to attack, they looked fabulously entertaining. Why the football powers think that's the best thing for Italian international play is a mystery to me. They can and do play entertaining soccer, but only after too many dull minutes. That match reminded me of the rope-a-dope strategy. You barely stray from your half absorbing and dismissing everything your opponent throws at you, then make serious counter-attacks only when they've made a serious error and are exhausted. A couple of billion people don't like it. But the 70 or so million who do, like it alot. I'll pull for either Portugal or France, but won't be surprised at all if it works again.

JohnnyMack
7/5/2006, 02:36 PM
Zizou scores on the PK!

Woot!

Scott D
7/5/2006, 02:51 PM
Portugal continuing to dive excessively, and now they go to halftime getting some cheese to go with their whine from the first half.

JohnnyMack
7/5/2006, 04:10 PM
Italy v. France in the finals.

I think France has looked really tired at the end of their last two games. Hope that trend doesn't continue or Italia is going to run right by them.

NormanPride
7/5/2006, 04:32 PM
I want to see a game where both teams just dribble the ball around their half of the field the whole time, waiting for the free shots at the end of double overtime. That would rock.

Scott D
7/5/2006, 04:58 PM
other news...

Dallas FC (MLS) have signed Trinidad & Tobago Keeper Shaka Hislop.

TopDawg
7/5/2006, 05:42 PM
I still can't get used to referring to countries as third person plural.

This is the stupidest trend in sports broadcasting since the de-pluralization of RBIs.

Unless you count ESPN's selection of football play-by-play and color commentators for their smaller games as a trend.

TUSooner
7/5/2006, 09:06 PM
Italy ARE still a problem for me. (Yeah, that does feel weird.) I know their tactics worked against Germany. It wasn't too much fun to watch 105 minutes of Germany's futile efforts to break down a skillful but packed-in defense. For the last 15 minutes, when Italy decided to attack, they looked fabulously entertaining. Why the football powers think that's the best thing for Italian international play is a mystery to me. They can and do play entertaining soccer, but only after too many dull minutes. That match reminded me of the rope-a-dope strategy. You barely stray from your half absorbing and dismissing everything your opponent throws at you, then make serious counter-attacks only when they've made a serious error and are exhausted. A couple of billion people don't like it. But the 70 or so million who do, like it alot. I'll pull for either Portugal or France, but won't be surprised at all if it works again.

I'm doubtful that France will be able to score vs Italy's "skillful but packed-in defense." We won't be seeing any exciting risk-taking by Italy in the final with everything on the line. Unless France can spring some sort of fast-break before Italy gets its midfielders back in the box, Or unless there are some blasts from outside the box, it will probably go to PKs. :( If France plays like it did in the 2nd half today, Italy will take advantage of the situation unlike Portugal. It seemed like France was ready to give up the equalizer, but Portugal couldn't take advantage. At least we won't have to watch C. Ronaldo's theatrics -- but then Italy has its own cast of Oscar hopefuls. :rolleyes:

If memory serves, the 3rd place game will be fun to watch, with more risky and exciting play, there being less to lose by playing wide open.

As for referring to a team in 3rd person plural, that's just an example of how British English is the language of soccer in America. That and the ridiculous "nil" - which is a word never uttered by Americans except in the soccer context. I'm an Anglophile, but even I don't really care much for any of that. Americans should feel comfortable talking about the game in 'Merican. I'd like to hear, "France HAS beaten Italy two to NOTHING." But whatever... :)

TUSooner
7/5/2006, 09:09 PM
I want to see a game where both teams just dribble the ball around their half of the field the whole time, waiting for the free shots at the end of double overtime. That would rock.

Ummmm, could there be just a tiny trace of irony in that post?
:D
<====== sixes are wild!

King Crimson
7/5/2006, 09:44 PM
hey, i learned "nil" and "equalizer" watching Soccer Made in Germany on PBS in Norman as wee pup.

on the fast break against Italy theory....that's what i was hoping Germany would do and get an early lead with Ballack and Klose on the attack.....and make Italy come out of the prevent because they were going to have to score. but, Italy sucked all the helium out their balloons too. and, then it was Germany who went in the deep freeze late and it cost them.

TopDawg
7/5/2006, 09:56 PM
As for referring to a team in 3rd person plural, that's just an example of how British English is the language of soccer in America.

'Merican writers and sportscasters started using that same 3rd person plural when referring to 'Merican teams playing 'Merican sports a few years ago.

mrowl
7/5/2006, 10:40 PM
well, soccer fans live up to their reputations with riots.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/07/05/france.fan.death.ap/

GottaHavePride
7/5/2006, 11:34 PM
Sweet. About time there was some rioting.

Oh, and Dallas signing Shaka Hislop is sweet - he was one of the more impressive keepers at the Cup, I thought.

TUSooner
7/6/2006, 06:09 AM
hey, i learned "nil" and "equalizer" watching Soccer Made in Germany on PBS in Norman as wee pup.

on the fast break against Italy theory....that's what i was hoping Germany would do and get an early lead with Ballack and Klose on the attack.....and make Italy come out of the prevent because they were going to have to score. but, Italy sucked all the helium out their balloons too. and, then it was Germany who went in the deep freeze late and it cost them.
Ahh yes, Soccer Made in Germany, with Toby Charles - "Bye for now!" good times

TUSooner
7/6/2006, 06:10 AM
'Merican writers and sportscasters started using that same 3rd person plural when referring to 'Merican teams playing 'Merican sports a few years ago.
I guess I should pay more attention; I never noticed. :confused: :O

Dr.Quack
7/6/2006, 08:06 AM
I'm doubtful that France will be able to score vs Italy's "skillful but packed-in defense." We won't be seeing any exciting risk-taking by Italy in the final with everything on the line. Unless France can spring some sort of fast-break before Italy gets its midfielders back in the box, Or unless there are some blasts from outside the box, it will probably go to PKs. :( If France plays like it did in the 2nd half today, Italy will take advantage of the situation unlike Portugal. It seemed like France was ready to give up the equalizer, but Portugal couldn't take advantage. At least we won't have to watch C. Ronaldo's theatrics -- but then Italy has its own cast of Oscar hopefuls. :rolleyes:

If memory serves, the 3rd place game will be fun to watch, with more risky and exciting play, there being less to lose by playing wide open.

As for referring to a team in 3rd person plural, that's just an example of how British English is the language of soccer in America. That and the ridiculous "nil" - which is a word never uttered by Americans except in the soccer context. I'm an Anglophile, but even I don't really care much for any of that. Americans should feel comfortable talking about the game in 'Merican. I'd like to hear, "France HAS beaten Italy two to NOTHING." But whatever... :)

Portugal remains in a serious goal drought. Am I remembering wrong or was their last goal in the first half against Holland two matches ago? France gave Portugal ample chances to score by pushing for a second goal. Made for a fun game to watch, but I think you're totally right that Italy is better suited to make the French pay if they try playing helter-skelter on defense again. I do believe in magic, however, and France does seem to have that on her side at the moment.

I must disagree about the third-place match especially with a host nation involved. Sides rarely look motivated for that match, but a host nation will be. I predict Germany 3 Portugal NOTHING.

On the subject of American English, I'm usually 100% for it. For example, it bugs me when Americans write "theatre" and "colour." So I'm really with you there. But there's something charming about saying "nil" and "equaliser" and especially "Italy are down two men after Toni and Totti received red cards for diving."

This post needs an upside down longhorn for some reason, but I can't figure out how to work this crazy machine.

Dr.Quack
7/6/2006, 08:15 AM
well, soccer fans live up to their reputations with riots.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/07/05/france.fan.death.ap/

I liked this quote especially well...

"But most fans remained peaceful but energized, mounting Paris monuments..."

There are some Paris monuments I can think of that may warrant mounting. That golden and bare chested Aphrodite near the Pont St. Michel, for example. Mrowl, indeed.

King Crimson
7/6/2006, 09:27 AM
This post needs an upside down longhorn for some reason, but I can't figure out how to work this crazy machine.

in the quick reply box if you click "Go advanced" you get a menu of smilies including Hook 'em......you also get advanced reply box when you use the quote feature, apparently. I never noticed.

TopDawg
7/6/2006, 11:11 AM
I guess I should pay more attention; I never noticed. :confused: :O

Having been in the biz, my radar is pretty finely tuned into these things.

Scott D
7/6/2006, 11:42 AM
FIFA to decide on how long Rooney's International suspension will be today.

Scott D
7/6/2006, 11:46 AM
and Sepp Blatter wants FIFA to begin using 2 referees like Hockey does.

Scott D
7/6/2006, 06:09 PM
more news...

Beckenbauer calls for summit to stop play-acting

BERLIN, July 6 (Reuters) - Franz Beckenbauer has called for a summit meeting of players, coaches and referees in a bid to stop the increasing trend towards play-acting and feigning injury which has blighted matches at the World Cup.

Beckenbauer, president of the German organising committee who skippered West Germany to World Cup victory in 1974 and coached them to success in 1990, said it was time for players to stop cheating in a bid to gain an unfair advantage.

'I think it is time to get the players, the coaches and the referees around the table and try to find some sort of solution to this problem.

'None of us in the game wants these incidents. The players are seeking to gain an unfair advantage and attempt to exploit every situation.

'The referees are there to correct this kind of misconduct, but the players do not make it easy for the referees.

'If I was a referee I would also show the yellow card to any player who signalled to the ref with an imaginary card to get an opponent booked. That is also cheating.'

World governing body FIFA and its European counterpart UEFA are planning a technical convention with coaches, referees and players' representatives in Berlin in September to discuss the World Cup with cheating and play-acting set to be on the agenda.

Beckenbauer was also disappointed with the number of goal attempts at the finals, adding, 'as the old German coach Sepp Herberger used to show, if you don't shoot, you won't score. Well there have not been enough shots on goal as far as I am concerned.'

Speaking six years to the day after Germany was awarded the right to stage the finals by FIFA, Beckenbauer said the World Cup had been an astonishing success and had brought people together in a way the organisers could only have dreamed of.

'The Fan Miles have been a spectacular success and Germany has celebrated the World Cup in a way few thought was possible.'

Scott D
7/6/2006, 06:11 PM
Also, Cristano Ronaldo claims the ref was biased against Portugal because they are a 'small country'. Carvalho (the guy who tripped Henry resulting in the penalty kick) admitted to making contact with Henry in the box.

We should know within a week how many International Matches Wayne Rooney will be suspended for.

King Crimson
7/6/2006, 06:15 PM
note how the last 3 paragraph breaks are either non-sequitors or PR frosting on the cake.

this is journalism today.

Dr.Quack
7/7/2006, 12:09 AM
The problem with cracking down on play acting is that it isn't always clear. I've mawked players who I felt flopped only to discover that they were taken out of the match and actually were injured. The temptation of throwing around cards for flopping is there, but in real time, in the heat of the moment, I can see why referees are slow to book people for it. Simply calling the fouls as you see them and never calling a foul you didn't see punishes flopping sufficiently. The flopper takes himself out of a play that continues without his participation. Obviously, if the ref is in perfect position to see a flop for what it is, he's obliged to enforce the rule and issue a yellow card so long as doing so doesn't deny the other team an advantage. A second pair of eyes will help, but it won't solve the problem completely.

Part of what's great and maddening at the same time about the World Cup Final every four years is that we find that the playing of soccer is also an expression of cultural outlook to a certain extent. The stolid Nordic types despise the flambouyancy of some players and entire nations. The feelings are mutual. Some teams play a rugged style built on lots of rough stuff. Some dance the samba. Some strive for machine-like precision. Some sit back, aesthetics be damned, and wait to exploit mistakes. Some rely on a dogged work ethic. And some have a flair for drama. I like the variety of approaches and doubt that Kaiser Beckenbauer's summit meeting will curb embellishment partly because telling the difference is a tricky tricky business, especially when the embellishment is the creation of a seasoned pro. In southern climes, Beckenbauer's call will sound like he's asking the world to act more German.

Personally, I hate flopping. Of course, I only catch the teams I don't like doing it. My guys are all Eagle Scouts.

Dr.Quack
7/7/2006, 12:13 AM
in the quick reply box if you click "Go advanced" you get a menu of smilies including Hook 'em......you also get advanced reply box when you use the quote feature, apparently. I never noticed.

Thanks, man! Here's my first upside down longhorn.Hook 'em

TUSooner
7/7/2006, 05:43 PM
The best way to catch floppers/divers is with the camera. Unfortunately, that comes too late to do any good in the match being played. But if, say, the FA were to institute a rule, maybe just in the EPL where there's plenty of television, that divers caught on camera would start the next match with a yellow card, or be fined, or something, that would have an eventual deterrent effect. It works to a degree in the NFL & some bigger Rugby organizations where players can be punished substantially for dirty play, even if they get away with it during the game.

I'm also all for a second or even third ref on the pitch.

But let's face it, many international "footballers" are just whiny cheating wussies who don't even aspire to the sort of toughness that is expected from all American athletes (even American women) in all sports... and maybe the Brits; they do have Rubgy after all. Yes, my Anglo-American-Northern-Euro-centrism is on display! GADOCADWI ;)

birddog
7/8/2006, 03:17 AM
well, i may have to watch the 3rd place game but i don't have to like it. i understand it's all about the cash but it just doesn't do much for me. the tournament is over for both of 'em. there is no reward. i think germany wins 2-0. the other day i stated that italy had begun to look more and more dangerous around the box and they have put a few goals away. i think they will find a way to continue that trend against the french and win 2-1. anyone heard if pessotto is recovering after his suicide attempt? last i heard was he probably wouldn't survive. also, any rumors about a new coach? i've been out of the loop.

Scott D
7/8/2006, 10:50 AM
Pessotto condition worsening, say doctors

ROME, July 7 (Reuters) - Doctors treating Juventus team manager Gianluca Pessotto, who fell from a window last week, say his condition has worsened.

"The patient's condition is worse now than in the last few days," the doctors said in a statement on Friday.

"If before we were able to express cautious optimism, we are now withholding judgment."

The 35-year-old former Juventus defender has been in intensive care in a Turin hospital since falling 15 metres from a window in the Juventus club headquarters on June 27. He was found clutching a rosary.

Police said they were investigating a suicide attempt. An investigative source said Pessotto was being treated for depression.

Pessotto regained consciousness briefly last week. He is being kept under heavy sedation and continues to suffer from fever and liver problems.

Pessotto was not among those facing charges at a sports tribunal into match-fixing charges that have engulfed Juventus and rocked Italian football.

The incident cast a shadow over the Italian national team which is now preparing for the World Cup final against France in Berlin on Sunday.

Juventus players Gianluca Zambrotta and Alessandro Del Piero dedicated goals at the World Cup to their former team mate.

nothing about a new coach...although at this point it's probably best for the dust to settle in the match fixing hearings and the final decision before even looking for a new coach.

Wayne Rooney receives a 2 match ban by FIFA..not as harsh as they could have been (most thought a 4 match ban was possible)

Michael Owen is another in the list of people slamming Sven for playing Rooney up front alone...ironically the Jamaican FA has said they have had no interest in contacting Sven to coach their national team.

Lukas Podolski (Germany) won the FIFA Young Player award at the WC.

Portugal will be missing 2 out of it's starting back 4 in today's game, and that should bode well for Miroslav Klose getting the Golden Boot.

BillyBall
7/8/2006, 10:53 AM
The Consolation Game is the worst game of the tournament.

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 11:34 AM
Italy-Ghana replay is on one of the spanish language channels here in Denver this AM. might check your TV schedule. sorry, i don't have more specific info....but i'm doing some housekeeping stuff at the office this AM.

Cam
7/8/2006, 02:44 PM
I saw a replay of the 2d half of France-Brazil. How does the opposition's #1 offensive threat (Henry) go totally unmarked on a set piece????
Our cable was out last night, so I watched this game again on the DVR. Not only was he alone, there were 6 Brazillians standing on the 18. Roberto Carlos was supposed to be marking Henry. He stayed at the 18 with his hands on his hips. It was 5v3 in the box in favor of the French.

After watching the game, I told my wife that a funny thing happened. Brazil showed up wearing white, speaking French, with a short, bald, white guy in goal.

Zidane has saved his best for last. He's put on quite a show the last couple of games.

Cam
7/8/2006, 02:47 PM
And major props to the Mexican ref for making the players play; he was properly skeptical about a lot of the contact and diving & stuff. Probably the best reffing of any game I've seen this WC.
The ref did a great job this game. He shouldn't have fallen for the flops, he sees enough of it in the Mexican league. They flop around like Italians during league play.

GDC
7/8/2006, 02:47 PM
Why is Gene Hackman on the sidelines today?

JohnnyMack
7/8/2006, 02:49 PM
Dear Cristiano Ronaldo,

Stop acting like such a fu*ktard.

Sincerely,

Planet Earth

Cam
7/8/2006, 02:57 PM
look at the bright side people who weren't rooting for Italy...this is what they'll have to look forward to once the World Cup is over.
Don't know if you've read it or not, but "Broken Dreams" by Tom Bower is a pretty eye opening look into the EPL and player transfers. If they ever decide to clean up transfers, pretty much every EPL team will find temselves in the 3rd division as well.

Cam
7/8/2006, 02:58 PM
other news...

Dallas FC (MLS) have signed Trinidad & Tobago Keeper Shaka Hislop.
That's awesome. I've liked watching Hislp play for a while.

Cam
7/8/2006, 03:00 PM
and Sepp Blatter wants FIFA to begin using 2 referees like Hockey does.
Bout freaking time.

Scott D
7/8/2006, 03:19 PM
Don't know if you've read it or not, but "Broken Dreams" by Tom Bower is a pretty eye opening look into the EPL and player transfers. If they ever decide to clean up transfers, pretty much every EPL team will find temselves in the 3rd division as well.

yeah but shadiness in transfers isn't anywhere the same as match fixing.

on another note, someone here tell me that this game today means nothing to Germany. ;)

silverwheels
7/8/2006, 03:37 PM
Where were these goals when they were playing Italy? Schweinsteiger is dominating today.

Scott D
7/8/2006, 04:06 PM
to be fair Schweinsteiger was playing against Portugal's #2 left back with Miguel out because of his knee injury...not exactly the same as trying to find room against Gianluca Zambrotta.

Cam
7/8/2006, 04:13 PM
yeah but shadiness in transfers isn't anywhere the same as match fixing.
Oh, it's not even close. The amount of see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil when it comes to transfers is amazing.

birddog
7/8/2006, 10:02 PM
it's a shame germany isn't in the final. they were the most entertaning team in the tournament and really put on a great display of attacking soccer. i hope these 2 teams tomorrow go at it like it's a world cup final. but of course, they will be patient and cautious and look for spaces to exploit, which they will be hard pressed to find. i really like henry and zidane and sagnol but for some reason i'm pulling for the italians. i never thought i'd say that.

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 05:10 AM
it's a shame germany isn't in the final. they were the most entertaning team in the tournament and really put on a great display of attacking soccer. i hope these 2 teams tomorrow go at it like it's a world cup final. but of course, they will be patient and cautious and look for spaces to exploit, which they will be hard pressed to find. i really like henry and zidane and sagnol but for some reason i'm pulling for the italians. i never thought i'd say that.

i agree it's a shame Germany isn't in the final. i have every reason to pull for Italy since i'm part Italian, know a lot of Italians, and worked for Italians for many years.....but i'm pulling for France.

Since the quarters, Italy has done such a great job of making other teams play their game....

birddog
7/9/2006, 12:23 PM
well, maybe i'm for france now. i don't know. it's very hard to not like zidane. if it is a good, entertaining final i really don't care.

silverwheels
7/9/2006, 12:51 PM
Allez Les Bleus!

Seriously, I hate Italy and they'd better not win.

Scott D
7/9/2006, 01:08 PM
that my friends, is how you kick a penalty.

Cam
7/9/2006, 01:10 PM
that my friends, is how you kick a penalty.
Ballsy as hell.

Scott D
7/9/2006, 01:15 PM
Henry is probably the best defending center forward in the world because of his midfielder start.

birddog
7/9/2006, 01:21 PM
now we've got a game. 1-1.

birddog
7/9/2006, 02:07 PM
this has extra time written all over it. i think there will be a few more chances for both teams and this might end up 2-2. france needs to get henry out wide. he hasn't really been able to open things up yet. actually, i think france in general is using the middle way too much. the way to break down "the chain" is to switch the point of attack a little more often. halftime over. game on.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:13 PM
If France wins, will David Stern give the refs rings? ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/9/2006, 03:19 PM
oooh. frenchy got mad.

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:19 PM
Zidane=Dirty sack of Sh*t.

Ruuuuuufus
7/9/2006, 03:20 PM
lol Zidane

at least Azzurri is sneaky about it...

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 03:21 PM
WTF just happened? jeez-us.

Zidane legacy=in the toilet.

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:22 PM
Can you hear all the sore losers in the crowd? Sheesh!

bri
Heh...HOOLIGAN-Y! :D

soonerhubs

Away from the play Zidane just head butted an Italian Player in the chest.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:23 PM
Man, there's more diving going on than at an Indigo Girls concert.

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:24 PM
Man, there's more diving going on than at an Indigo Girls concert.
heh

Scott D
7/9/2006, 03:25 PM
I really want to know what that Italian player said to Zidane.

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:25 PM
Probably something in French. ;)

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 03:26 PM
Away from the play Zidane just head butted an Italian Player in the chest.

yeah, i know. it's just so flippin weird: to headbutt a guy in the chest late in OT in the world cup final....when you are the best player on your team playing in your swansong career defining last game as a national legend.

Scott D
7/9/2006, 03:26 PM
Zidane speaks fluent Italian, he played in Serie A for many years before he went to Real Madrid

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:27 PM
Zidane speaks fluent Italian, he played in Serie A for many years before he went to Real Madrid
Sorry. I'm extremely ignorant regarding soccer. But I'm really giving it an honest effort.

Cam
7/9/2006, 03:28 PM

It's a shame to see somebody of that stature go out like that.

I'm just guessing that there was some history between those two during Zidane's time in Italy.

Cam
7/9/2006, 03:29 PM
Me too. Must've been pretty damn good for the reaction that it drew.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:35 PM
LACES OUT, DAN!!!!!

I got nothin'.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:38 PM
Oooh, the crossbar giveth, and the crossbar taketh away, Frenchie! :D

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:39 PM
This is pretty intense.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:41 PM
I DO love me a PK shootout...

soonerhubs
7/9/2006, 03:42 PM
Well... Good dealio! Must be exciting for some Italians.

Cam
Italy are the Champions.

More proof that defense wins Championships. They were scored on a total of two times in 7 games. One own goal, the other a PK.

France made a great run. They've got nothing to hang their heads about.

ouflak
Well that's that.

They've got nothing to hang their heads about.

Except for that stupid penalty that got one of their scorers thrown out of the game in the last minutes.

bri
Wow, France probably could have used Zidane in that there shootout, huh? :D

Scott D
7/9/2006, 03:43 PM
Zidane owes each and every of the other 22 members of the French team an apology.

bri

Well, you have to hang your head before you can bury it in another guy's chest...

Ruuuuuufus
Wow, France probably could have used Zidane in that there shootout, huh? :D

Trezeguet (sp) would have probably been taking a PK either way no?

Cam
7/9/2006, 03:44 PM
Zidane owes each and every of the other 22 members of the French team an apology.
Yeah, he's going to have a hard time living that down.

Scott D
7/9/2006, 03:44 PM
wouldn't have mattered.

depends..if Zidane doesn't go out with a red card, do they still bring Trezuget in for Henry? We'll never know.

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 03:45 PM
they still couldn't beat us!

Ruuuuuufus
7/9/2006, 03:46 PM
depends..if Zidane doesn't go out with a red card, do they still bring Trezuget in for Henry? We'll never know.

Trezeguet was already in when Zidane got the red.

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 03:47 PM
since when did U2 become the official soundtrack for everything?

(don't be smarmy, bri, awwight?)

Ruuuuuufus
7/9/2006, 03:49 PM
also it was Wiltord that came on for Henry, who was also on just a couple minutes before the red. Trezeguet came on for Ribery.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:51 PM
since when did U2 become the official soundtrack for everything?

(don't be smarmy, bri, awwight?)

The day after they sprang forth fully-formed from the skull of Zeus, motherf*cker!!!! :D

Scott D
7/9/2006, 03:52 PM
Ribery must have been worn out..not sure why they'd bring Trezuget in at all as much as they've been bashing him.

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2006, 03:53 PM
they wouldnt have even been in the PK if it hadnt been for that BS foul call down in the box that gave France their goal in the first place

imo anyway

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 03:54 PM
The day after they sprang forth fully-formed from the skull of Zeus, motherf*cker!!!! :D

that would be Athena, not u2, big boy.

:texan:

bri
7/9/2006, 03:54 PM
Heh...THE REFS ARE GETTING RINGS!!!! :D

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 04:10 PM
it's been fun guys. hard to believe it's over already.

cheers, KC.

birddog
7/9/2006, 04:31 PM
:( time to crawl in a hole 'til football season.

Dr.Quack
7/9/2006, 05:56 PM
Italy are the Champions.

More proof that defense wins Championships. They were scored on a total of two times in 7 games. One own goal, the other a PK.

Agreed.

Italy played some very exciting soccer after the French goal. Soon after halftime, they seemed to shut off their counter attacks. That, or the French defense thwarted almost every effort. Very unusual. France got one gift PK, but got denied another obvious one later to even that score. I'm sure we'll more about Zidane. I thought our ABC commentators over-reacted. There may be more of a story, but it sure looked like a shocking lapse of judgment no matter what happened in the past. All in all, a very fun tournament. I enjoyed chatting about it with the six of so of you.

Michael Lee,
Musicology Department, Chair
University of Oklahoma

JohnnyMack
7/9/2006, 06:17 PM
they wouldnt have even been in the PK if it hadnt been for that BS foul call down in the box that gave France their goal in the first place

imo anyway

Well I guess opinions are like *******s.

silverwheels
7/9/2006, 06:36 PM
Dammit Zidane. :(

Italy was consistently the best team throughout the tourney, though. As much as I hate them, I have to give them their props for playing so well.

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2006, 07:14 PM
Well I guess opinions are like *******s.

so you're saying that was a good foul call......that France deserved that first penalty kick?

is that it?

or are you just being an opinion?

JohnnyMack
7/9/2006, 07:22 PM
so you're saying that was a good foul call......that France deserved that first penalty kick?

is that it?

or are you just being an opinion?

Yes they deserved the PK.

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2006, 07:27 PM
i didnt see the foul.......from the first camera angle yes, from the other.....no way no how

Ruuuuuufus
7/9/2006, 07:52 PM
ouch

http://www.nsaney.com/pics/zidane_headbutt.gif

Cam
7/9/2006, 08:09 PM
i didnt see the foul.......from the first camera angle yes, from the other.....no way no how
That's just it, it's all about the angle that the ref has at the time of the foul.

I thought it was 50/50 and wouldn't have been upset if it was called or not.

I thought the offsides call on Italy's goal was correct. The announcers didn't, but to each his own.

birddog
7/9/2006, 08:42 PM
Agreed.

Italy played some very exciting soccer after the French goal. Soon after halftime, they seemed to shut off their counter attacks. That, or the French defense thwarted almost every effort. Very unusual. France got one gift PK, but got denied another obvious one later to even that score. I'm sure we'll more about Zidane. I thought our ABC commentators over-reacted. There may be more of a story, but it sure looked like a shocking lapse of judgment no matter what happened in the past. All in all, a very fun tournament. I enjoyed chatting about it with the six of so of you.

Michael Lee,
Musicology Department, Chair
University of Oklahoma
yeah, this last month has been alot of fun. let's do it again in 2008 for the european championships and in 2010 as we watch the americans raise the world cup.;) . if you all want to do a fantasy league team for the premiership, the guardian has a pretty good set-up. i've never used anything else.

ouflak
7/10/2006, 08:30 AM
It's over. Until the U.S. decides to invest itself into the sport the way it invests itself in Football, Baseball, Basketball, and even Hockey, this is probably as good as we should hope to do. Congrats on making it this far.

Not to be argumentative, but the US side made it farther last World Cup, and did so in 1994 as well. The US team has made five consecutive World Cup Finals. That's a record many fully invested nations would drool over. England can't say that, and France can't say that, just to name two fully invested soccer-happy countries that have also experienced ups and downs. I think it's a simple matter of admitting we got out-prepared, out-coached, and out-played by two superior sides resulting in a lack of points in group play. The US team has proved that we can be competitive in the past and will be competitive again. But full investment by fans won't guide the ball into the goal. Every tournament is different, but the story unfolded on the pitch rather than in the American psyche.

So let me get this straight. The best young athletes this country produces could attempt the path(s) to play proffessinal basketball ($$$), football ($$$), or baseball ($$$), but will decide to play soccer because "many fully invested nations would drool over making 5 World cup finals"?

Riiiiiiiiight.

Similarly, investment didn't help the US win baseball's world tournament a couple months ago, nor did it always net the dream team Olympic Gold in basketball as our team proved not so long ago.

If our best athletes/players had competed, we would demolish the competition every time. We are leading the way in these sports. If we choose to win any international tournament in baseball or basketball that we liked, we simply could do so by throwing our very best into the competition. Other countries are following us in this sports, and some are doing well. But thats' part of the point as well. We are leaders in these sports. We're barely a blip on the edge of the radar in the world of soccer no matter how many "fully invested teams would drool over our 5 World Cup finals appearances".

Hey I'm glad we have nice inflated ranking. And I'm glad we've had a nice history in World Cup. But it's obvious that the many of the best athletes of many other countries are playing soccer. It's also obvious that the United States has massive wealth of young athletes many of which could succeed in any sport they tried. Considering that, don't you think it's equally obvious that many of our nation's best athletes are not going anywhere near the path to be world class proffessional soccer players?

If our sports culture changed, and we had a truly lucrative proffessional league that brought in crowds and interest, then we would draw some our best natural athletes into these sports. And if you start doing that with a country that has the size and resources of the United States, then you will start to truly dominate.

Scott D
7/10/2006, 10:50 AM
we won't dominate until our youth leagues emphasize more on playing and less on following a myriad of rules.

I know that Claudio Reyna refuses to put his kids in youth soccer leagues for that reason. Think about our most effective player this WC..Clint Dempsey...didn't spend a lot of time in our overstructured youth leagues, but spent endless hours working on his skills in Texas.

GottaHavePride
7/10/2006, 11:54 AM
Well, I would really like to hear what set Zidane off. Italy hung on better at the end, though. The French players were starting to wear out even before Zidane's exit. Props to Italy - their defense was outstanding through the whole Cup.

JohnnyMack
7/10/2006, 02:40 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13804403/

"Terrorist"?

silverwheels
7/10/2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13804403/

"Terrorist"?

So I guess Italy not only rules the world in diving and fake injuries, but they also like to call an opposing player, who happens to be of Algerian descent, a "dirty terrorist."

GDC
7/10/2006, 02:52 PM
I wonder how the talents of say, the Joe Washingtons and Michael Jordans of the US, would translate into soccer success? If our very best athletes played soccer I would guess it would be no contest. I also thought it was interesting that the three most populous nations (China, India, and US) were either not represented at all in the World Cup or went out in the first round.

birddog
7/10/2006, 04:44 PM
well, the bottom line is passion. it isn't in our kids yet. there is a chance that in a couple of generations there will be more interest from the current millions of kids that are playing. the mls is so young and the quality is pretty bad right now. the youth system is the key and soccer specific schools will need to be designed. it probably won't ever happen but it is possible to increase the player pool with better overall talent. we've got a very long way to go, however. right now it is considered in america to be a sport that wears kids out where in other countries it is THE sport. i'm not going to lose any sleep over it because the sport will always exist and i will always follow it.

Scott D
7/10/2006, 06:10 PM
I wonder how the talents of say, the Joe Washingtons and Michael Jordans of the US, would translate into soccer success? If our very best athletes played soccer I would guess it would be no contest. I also thought it was interesting that the three most populous nations (China, India, and US) were either not represented at all in the World Cup or went out in the first round.

India plays a mean game of Cricket.....and China kicks *** in diving and gymnastics...you know, sports that cash in on being tiny people ;)

GottaHavePride
7/10/2006, 08:52 PM

Our best athletes would easily be on par with the soccer greats from other countries. The problem is there's not much money in soccer in this coutry, so that caliber of athlete gets pushed towards sports like basketball and football. Many other countries don't have the resources to pour into equipment-heavy sports like football, or they lack environmental conditions (availability/affordability of food and medicine, for instance) to allow people to max out their size potential to really excel at basketball. So soccer is the most accessible and most-played sport in most of the world.

Scott D
7/11/2006, 08:36 PM
oh, as a FYI....Klinsmann stepped down as Germany's head coach today.

Zizou will also explain why he did the headbutt later this week.

JohnnyMack
7/11/2006, 08:47 PM

He coming here?

Cam
7/11/2006, 08:56 PM

Zizou will also explain why he did the headbutt later this week.
Both are interesting.

Can't really blame Klinsmann. The results have set the bar pretty high for their next Mngr.

birddog
7/11/2006, 09:51 PM
interesting. the bar has now been lowered for the us team after this cup and he can stay in cali. i hope it works out. talk about a big time boost to the team as far as wc experience and world wide respect.

GottaHavePride
7/11/2006, 11:29 PM
He coming here?

Would he do that or would he go to a club team somewhere?

Scott D
7/12/2006, 01:08 PM
Marcelo Lippi stepped down today

ROME (AP) - Italy coach Marcello Lippi resigned Wednesday, three days after guiding the Azzurri to their fourth World Cup title.

Despite widespread calls for him to stay, Lippi suggested weeks ago that he would resign. He feels he and his son, Davide, were attacked personally in the corruption scandal that has tainted Italian soccer.

"At the end of an extraordinary professional and human experience, experienced as the head of an exceptional group of players ... I believe my role is over as the guide of the Italian national team," Lippi said in a statement.

While he is not under investigation, Lippi was questioned by prosecutors before the World Cup about alleged pressure he received to select certain players for Italy's national team. Davide Lippi is under investigation for his work at player agency GEA World.

"I will continue to coach," Lippi said without elaborating.

Italian soccer federation chief Guido Rossi said Lippi had told him early in the World Cup campaign that he would resign and take six months off regardless of his team's performance because the job had been an "enormous effort."

Rossi said he tried to change Lippi's mind but respected his decision.

"I hope that after the six months he will take on a new role," Rossi added.

Lippi denied reports before the final linking him to Manchester United, saying that since he doesn't speak English it would be impossible for him to work for the Premier League club. He hasn't announced his future plans.

Italy beat France in Sunday's final 5-3 on penalty kicks following a 1-1 tie after extra time.

"Our coach goes out as a winner," Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro wrote on behalf of the team in a message posted on his Web site.

Cannavaro thanked Lippi "for the excellent job he did and for how he managed the team in such difficult moments. He passed on to us his strength and calm and the result is that we are now world champions."

Former Italy and AC Milan midfielder Roberto Donadoni has been touted as a possible successor to Lippi. After starting coaching in 2001, Donadoni joined Livorno in 2004, stepping down this year despite leading the Tuscan team to an unexpectedly high sixth place finish in Serie A.

Rossi said Donadoni's name was only "one of those going around," adding that a replacement would be announced in a few days.

Lippi replaced Giovanni Trapattoni after Italy was eliminated in the group stage of the 2004 European Championship.

He led the team on a 25-game unbeaten streak, the Azzurri's second-longest streak after they went 30 games without defeat from 1935-39 - a period that included Italy's second World Cup title in 1938.

Slovenia's 1-0 win in October 2004 was Italy's last loss under Lippi, earning 16 wins and nine draws since.

Lippi visited former Juventus coach Gianluca Pessotto at a Turin hospital after announcing his decision. Pessotto has been hospitalized with multiple fractures after falling from the roof at the club's headquarters June 27 in what Italian media described as a suicide attempt.

Pessotto was appointed Juventus' team manager due to a match-fixing scandal that could demote the Serie A club and strip it of the last two league titles it won. Verdicts are expected in the coming days.

Lippi began coaching Juventus in 1994 and won five Serie A titles, one Italian Cup, four Italian Supercups, the 1996 Champions League, and the European Supercup and Intercontinental Cup.

As a player, Lippi had a seven-season stint in Italy's top league with Sampdoria in the 1970s. He began coaching Genoa's academy squad in 1982, and soon won a youth tournament in Marseille.

Lippi started coaching at the lowest level of Italian professional soccer in 1985, guiding Pontedera in Serie C2. His Serie A debut was with Cesena in 1989, and he then led Lucchese, Atalanta and Napoli.

Scott D
7/12/2006, 01:09 PM
also FIFA "may" take the Best Player award from Zidane.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says Zinedine Zidane could be stripped of his Golden Ball award for the best player at the World Cup due to violent conduct.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Wednesday's La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethic of the sport."

Zidane head-butted Italian defender Marco Materazzi in the chest after the two exchanged words on the field in extra time of Sunday's World Cup final. He was sent off and Italy won its fourth title on penalties.

FIFA's disciplinary committee opened an inquiry Tuesday into Zidane's behavior. Such inquiries are routine when a player receives a red card in an international match. World soccer's governing body has declined to say whether Materazzi's conduct also is being investigated.

Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball on Monday, ahead of Italy's Fabio Cannavaro and Andrea Pirlo. The ballot box was open until after the end of the final, making it unclear how many votes were cast before or after the incident.

Blatter said he was "very hurt" by Zidane's violent reaction and that "to see him act like that made me feel bad, for him and for fair play."

Scott D
7/12/2006, 01:13 PM
Also the new FIFA Rankings are out, and the USA dropped from 5th to 16th.

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - Brazil remained No. 1 on Wednesday in FIFA's redesigned world soccer rankings, with World Cup champion Italy moving up to No. 2. The United States dropped from fifth to 16th.

Under the new ranking system, which changes the criteria for rating the world's top teams, Argentina moved into third place with France No. 4 and England No. 5.

Except for Brazil, the other top teams all moved up several places from the rankings published before the World Cup. Italy improved 10 places, Argentina six, France four and England five.

Rounding out the top 10 were: the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Germany and the Czech Republic.

The new system takes into account games played over the last four years instead of the last eight. It also changes the weighting system, with more importance given to World Cup games vs. exhibitions. Regional strength also is considered, as are opponents, goals scored and conceded, and home or away venues.

The U.S. and Mexico were two of the biggest losers.

The United States, knocked out in the first round of the World Cup, dropped 11 places. Mexico, which reached the second round, fell from No. 4 to 18.

The United States reached No. 4 in FIFA's April rankings, which drew attention to the inequity in FIFA's old ranking system. Both teams play in CONCACAF - the North American and Caribbean region - which is one of world soccer's weakest areas.

Making up the second 10 in the rankings were: Nigeria, Cameroon, Switzerland, Uruguay, Ukraine, United States, Denmark, Mexico, Paraguay and Ivory Coast.

Germany, which finished third in the World Cup and was the host nation, moved up 10 spots from 19 to No. 9. Germany's ranking suffered under the old system because, as host nation, it played no qualifying games.

Ukraine was another big mover, jumping 30 places to 15 thanks to its quarterfinal appearance. Ghana, which reached the second round, also took a big jump, going from 48 to 25.

Scott D
7/12/2006, 01:18 PM
Also Juventus has already sold forward Adrian Mutu to Fiorentina, and Fabio Cannavarro (Azzurri team capt.) is rumored to be heading to Real Madrid. The 'firesale' has begun.

Scott D
7/12/2006, 01:25 PM
And finally, DC United of the MLS has a home friendly tonight against Celtic FC of Scotland, winner of the Scottish Premier League last season. DC United is currently riding a 12 game unbeaten streak in the MLS.

Scott D
7/12/2006, 02:16 PM
Zizou speaks out finally.

ARIS (AP) — French soccer star Zinedine Zidane apologized for head butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final, saying Wednesday that he was provoked by insults about his mother and sister.

"I apologize, to all the children" who watched the match Sunday, Zidane said in his first, highly awaited comments about the act of violence that marked the end of his career.

Zidane did not specify exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but that it was insulting to his sister and mother.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," Zidane said, stressing that Materazzi's language was "very harsh."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy went on to win in a penalty shootout.

The France captain said he felt no regret for his act, "because that would mean (Materazzi) was right to say all that."

At nearly the same moment Zidane was appearing on French TV, excerpts from an interview that Materazzi gave to Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport were posted on the newspaper's website.

"I didn't say anything to him about racism, religion or politics," Materazzi told the Gazzetta. "I didn't talk about his mother either. I lost my mother when I was 15, and even now I still get emotional talking about her. Naturally, I didn't know his (mother) was in the hospital, I give her my best wishes."

"He's always been my hero, I admire him a lot."

For days, sports fans around the world have been riveted by the question: What could Materazzi have said to set Zidane off? Media from Brazil to Britain hired lip readers to try to figure it out, then came up with different answers.

Materazzi has acknowledged he insulted Zidane, without giving specifics.

Materazzi spoke to Zidane in Italian. Zidane, who played several years for Juventus in Torino, speaks Italian.

Despite the head butt, Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball award for best player at the World Cup — though FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested Zidane could be stripped of the honor.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethics of the sport."

In France, many have already pardoned Zidane, even without his explanation. A poll published Tuesday in Le Parisien newspaper showed that 61% of the 802 people questioned forgave Zidane.

birddog
7/14/2006, 03:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer

arena's gone.

Jeopardude
7/14/2006, 04:20 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer

arena's gone.

Good move for everybody. I hope we land the German coach and not end up with soccer's version of ***************. :D

King Crimson
7/14/2006, 05:04 PM
there was an article in the NY Times earlier last week that seemed to confirm (from Zidane family members) at minimum the insult to ZZ's Algerian heritage.

FWIW.

birddog
7/14/2006, 06:04 PM
i hope it's not bob bradley or mooch myrenick. i wouldn't mind sigi schmidt because he's got alot of international experience with the u-21 national team and he's familiar with alot of players from other countries because of the youth championships. actually, if i recall correctly, the u-21's had a good showing there, reaching the semi's before losing to lionel messi and argentina last summer.

Scott D
7/14/2006, 07:18 PM
Good move for everybody. I hope we land the German coach and not end up with soccer's version of ***************. :D

Klinsmann has already said he's not interested in the USA job (a day or two ago).

Scott D
7/14/2006, 07:20 PM
Juventus, Lazio, and Fiorentina have all been relegated to Serie B by the Tribunal.

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's most successful soccer club Juventus were relegated to second division Serie B on Friday along with ex-champions Fiorentina and Lazio after a sports tribunal found the clubs guilty of offences in a match-fixing trial.

Bringing to a head the biggest scandal in European soccer for decades, the tribunal also ruled that AC Milan, although they will stay in Serie A, would have their points from last season reduced by 44 -- ruling them out of next season's Champions League.

Juventus were stripped of their last two title wins -- from 2006 and 2005.

All four clubs will start next season with points penalties with Juventus forced to begin their Serie B campaign with minus 30 points -- almost ensuring they will spend at least two seasons in Serie B.

Milan will start their Serie A campaign next season with minus 15 points. In Serie B, Fiorentina begin on minus 12 and Lazio on minus seven.

Juventus' penalty is the equivalent of the Yankees being sent to Triple A baseball and having their standings adjusted as to finish toward the bottom of the league to start the next two seasons.

birddog
7/14/2006, 07:48 PM
well, he's got plenty of time to change his mind. they want to name someone fairly soon but i imagine they will wait until they are absolutely certain that he won't sign on. qualifying doesn't start til 2008 so i'm not sure what the rush is. they said bruce will continue to coach the team until someone is named.

birddog
7/14/2006, 11:48 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5784656

seems klinsmann is the overwhelming favorite, as he should be. also, why the hell would we ever turn down a chance to play in copa america? it looks like we might be reconsidering and may be in the '07 copa america in venezuela. that'd be some sweet action.

Scott D
7/15/2006, 10:07 AM
I voted for Hiddink....I'd love Klinsmann to be the coach, but I don't see him being interested in coaching for probably about 2 years.

birddog
7/18/2006, 10:46 PM
i know, the world cup is over, but our former world cup coach is now the main man at new york red bulls.