PDA

View Full Version : **World Cup Thread**

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

NormanPride
6/26/2006, 11:14 AM
Stupid work and the stupid American way of stupid life. :mad: I wanna watch people not score and flop! :D

Scott D
6/26/2006, 11:18 AM
I guess I got lucky...the stores I had for today and tomorrow were cancelled last week so I get both games.

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 11:20 AM
but even more ironically is that Americans will watch 20 cars make left hand turns for 2-3 hours. Driving has always been boring.

Don't get me started on the reasons why folks like Nascar vs. why F1 is a non-factor in the US motorsports popularity contest. I agree in that I would never watch motorsports mind you. But I am quite sure I can explain why the popularity difference. Sorry, I won't comment any more on the lack of popularity of soccer now.

I watched Beckam's goal Saturday and stood there open mouthed in amazement of how a guy can kick a ball that hard and put that much movement on it. It was like a 90 mph slider into the dirt. And what set it up was the brit that was way off to the side "un-marked" which drew the goalie away by an extra foot. That 12" proved to be the difference.

Scott D
6/26/2006, 11:41 AM
yeah Gerrard's hand waving drew the attention of the keeper...and now Beet, you know why they say 'Bend It Like Beckham'.

Scott D
6/26/2006, 11:51 AM
Wow....just, wow.

I have no other superlatives for the Aussies v. Italia.

King Crimson
6/26/2006, 11:52 AM
Italy scores on a PK in the 95th minute.....hmmm.

JohnnyMack
6/26/2006, 11:53 AM
Over under on how long it takes Sydney to be burned down?

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 12:03 PM
Wow....just, wow.

I have no other superlatives for the Aussies v. Italia.

I couldn't see it, followed it on MatchCast, but the people on there seemed to disagree with the penalty call. What happened?

TUSooner
6/26/2006, 12:47 PM
I couldn't see it, followed it on MatchCast, but the people on there seemed to disagree with the penalty call. What happened?
Yeah. what happened? I hate to see any match decided on a questionable penalty (or red card). Was the PK deserved?

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 12:49 PM

The Aussie made a pretty clean tackle on the ball - the Italian was in the middle of just stepping over him and then decided to fall on the ground as another Aussie came over to clear the ball. Ref bought the dive and called for a PK. There was very little actual contact - probably shoud have given the defender the benefit of the doubt that late in the game. But really, the way that game was going it probably would have ended in penalty kicks anyway.

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 01:01 PM
yeah Gerrard's hand waving drew the attention of the keeper...and now Beet, you know why they say 'Bend It Like Beckham'.

Its actually disappointing that the saying doesn't refer to Posh. :texan:

BermudaSooner
6/26/2006, 01:37 PM

The Italian should have been carded for diving--it was that bad.

I've watched several of these games and come to the conclusion that Soccer is the world's worst officiated sport. The Texas Tech crap happens every game.

The Aussies got screwed.

Scott D
6/26/2006, 01:38 PM
The Aussie made a pretty clean tackle on the ball - the Italian was in the middle of just stepping over him and then decided to fall on the ground as another Aussie came over to clear the ball. Ref bought the dive and called for a PK. There was very little actual contact - probably shoud have given the defender the benefit of the doubt that late in the game. But really, the way that game was going it probably would have ended in penalty kicks anyway.

Sadly the injustice the Aussies received here is nothing compared to the injustice they've receive to qualify for the World cup.

The winner of the OFC Football World Cup Qualifiers were allowed to compete in a two-legged home-and-away playoff with the team ranked fifth in the South American qualifying competition for a place in the 2006 World Cup. Since 1996, OFC members also play for the OFC Nations Cup, which is held every second year.

The winner of the Oceania Football Confederation has only qualified for 3 World Cups since it formed in 1966. Australia in 74, New Zealand in 82, and Australia in 06. An extra South American team has qualified each of the other times except for 1986 where Scotland qualified instead (don't ask how)

BermudaSooner
6/26/2006, 01:54 PM
Sadly the injustice the Aussies received here is nothing compared to the injustice they've receive to qualify for the World cup.

I'd say they proved they deserved to be there by making it through.

BermudaSooner
6/26/2006, 01:54 PM
Italian Soccer training video

http://www.soccerclips.net/comercials2.php?page=134

GDC
6/26/2006, 02:08 PM
but even more ironically is that some Americans will watch 20 cars make left hand turns for 2-3 hours. Driving has always been boring.

fixed

Scott D
6/26/2006, 04:38 PM
The Swiss need to go back to making pocket knives and chocolate for the chokejob that was their penalty shootout with the Ukraine.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, although it was pretty clear that on the first three kicks the Swiss goalkeeper dove to his right - he was just lucky that's where Shevchenko's kick went. On the fourth kick the Ukrainian player had to be figuring it was about time the guy would dive the other direction...

King Crimson
6/26/2006, 04:51 PM
i thought the Ukraine was pretty salty the times i saw them in group play to bounce back from getting drilled by spain.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah. I have to admit I didn't really care who won this one, although I would have preferred the 3-2 match all the talking heads were predicting. One thing I noticed, both these teams seemed to be a lot more energetic with their passes than some other teams I've watched in the last couple of days. Neither of them has the fluidity that teams like Argentina and Brazil have, but the precision - especially on the long-range passes - was pretty impressive.

mrowl
6/26/2006, 05:03 PM
WOW. so I turn on the TV and the shoot-out is about to start. Perfect Timing, thats the soccer I like ;)

Dr.Quack
6/26/2006, 05:06 PM
I've served out my 24-hour suspension for getting a red card for dissent. Now I'll risk another. The PK against Australia wasn't deserved. There, I wrote it and feel better. That match illustrated again why very few non-Italians pull for the Azurri. I'd call their tactics craven in the first half. In the second, down a man, I guess playing for counter-attacks made sense. The problem here isn't whether or not it works. Obviously it does. My problem is that they're almost never fun to watch in big matches. Then to have the ref reward a side with so much talent that chose to put on such a dull show with a bogus PK on what was really a dive plain and simple as the attacker tripped himself on a suppine player. Oh well. I saw nothing from Ukraine to suggest that we aren't in for a similar treat in Italy's next match. But mawk my words (grin), when Italy meets one of the planet's powers, it won't work.

May I also say that in my opinion Beckham was the man of the match for England against Ecuador and not Rooney. Rooney was busier, but finally Beckham was more effective. He put England through on a single strike of the ball. Sometimes that's what it takes. He gets my vote. Really though, I think England's defense has been extremely strong. They efficiently dispatched the Ecuador offense and made a good South American side like impotent. England's defense are collectively solid and may carry them a long way.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 05:59 PM
I have to admit I was rooting for the Aussies - I never met an Australian I didn't like. They just didn't attack the goal enough - or fast enough, at least. The dawdling caught up with them eventually. They could have easily been up a goal or two after Italy went down a man, but they tended to go into a Kelvin Sampson halfcourt offense.

TUSooner
6/26/2006, 08:27 PM
***That match illustrated again why very few non-Italians pull for the Azurri. I'd call their tactics craven in the first half. In the second, down a man, I guess playing for counter-attacks made sense. The problem here isn't whether or not it works. Obviously it does. My problem is that they're almost never fun to watch in big matches. Then to have the ref reward a side with so much talent that chose to put on such a dull show with a bogus PK on what was really a dive plain and simple as the attacker tripped himself on a suppine player. Oh well. I saw nothing from Ukraine to suggest that we aren't in for a similar treat in Italy's next match. But mawk my words (grin), when Italy meets one of the planet's powers, it won't work.

Somebody PLEASE beat Italy! It hurts to watch them. Not only do they play the drabbest game, they add insult to injury with all their dives and theatrics. If Italy's games were all I ever saw, I'd probably hate soccer. They are the polar opposite of "joga bonita." If there were ever a brawl on the pitch, I would hope it was somebody seriously beating the crap out of Italy. There. I said it and I feel better!

TUSooner
6/26/2006, 08:28 PM
I have to admit I was rooting for the Aussies - I never met an Australian I didn't like. They just didn't attack the goal enough - or fast enough, at least. The dawdling caught up with them eventually. They could have easily been up a goal or two after Italy went down a man, but they tended to go into a Kelvin Sampson halfcourt offense.
Fair dinkum, mate! :D

birddog
6/26/2006, 08:57 PM
aside from the free kick, beckham was non-existent unless the camera showed him puking. rooney's work rate was incredible and really put alot of pressure on ecuador's back 4. he held up the ball really well and also found teammates with great passes. he could have had 2 or 3 assists had lampard and gerrard not sent their shots into the nose-bleedin' section. i much prefer lennon's speed out wide for england and it gives them another dimension when they attack. how many crosses did beckham have in the run of play? not many. rooney's much more important to that team than beckham and he showed why, despite not scoring a goal.

Scott D
6/26/2006, 09:01 PM
you forgot one important point bird

there is less of a reason for frank lampard to be on that pitch than for peter crouch to be there.

they keep talking about how lampard leads everyone in shots, however he has nothing to show for it.

It might be time to put Becks in a middle role, and put Lennon outside.

birddog
6/26/2006, 09:09 PM
if beckham can handle the work load i'm sure he'd do ok. of course, like me, he doesn't like to defend and he sure as hell isn't going to get stuck in on his tackles. but you're right, lampard hasn't done much at all to this point. i almost feel like sven is "hiding" beckham out there on the right.

Scott D
6/26/2006, 09:14 PM
well beckham is in a precarious position..he *is* the team captain. he's a liability defensively...which makes me laud the move to put owen hargreaves behind him last match...carrick in the middle as a dmc was a good move even if the 4-5-1 limited them offensively. It might be safer to put Beckham in the middle, but he doesn't seem to play as well when he doesn't have the range.

then again, most of the players who came to the world cup from la liga seem to be off to slow starts in the world cup...it's probably a fitness matter.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 10:05 AM
and in the 5th minute Ronaldo becomes the all time World Cup scoring leader on a BEAUTIFUL pass and move.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 10:46 AM
and in stoppage time in the first half Adriano makes it 2-0 on a great pass from Cafu.

Ghana has actually controlled the play a little more than Brazil.

JohnnyMack
6/27/2006, 10:57 AM
Offsides.

Dr.Quack
6/27/2006, 11:01 AM
Scott D, did you really love that second goal by Adriano? It was clearly offsides, hence the deafening whistling from every neutral present leading into the commercial break.

Beckham: a goal
Rooney: sound and fury

Scott D
6/27/2006, 11:04 AM
eh....Adriano's first attempt (where he got carded for a dive) was more offsides than the goal he scored.

Dr.Quack
6/27/2006, 11:08 AM
I like the modifier "more."

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 11:11 AM
Man, I was really happy for Ronaldo there. Especially because it means Eric Wynalda has to shut up with the "old and fat" comments.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 11:15 AM
yeah, as if reality would keep Wynalda from running his yap incorrectly.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 11:43 AM
that offside trap is killing Ghana...but that was a nice flick by Ze Roberto to get it past the keeper.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 12:18 PM
Actually, I think Balboa nailed why Brazil hasn't looked all that great yet. They've got endless world-class talent, but they're not really working as a team yet. They work together well enough defensively and in the midfield, but as soon as one guy has an opportunity at the goal all thoughts of passing the ball seem to go out the window.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 12:26 PM
that's pretty much the difference between Brazil and Argentina right now.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Argentina has looked pretty much like I was expecting Brazil to look.

I'm not sure who I'm rooting for in Spain vs. France. I was leaning towards Spain until they played that clip of Spain's Coach going off about Thierry Henry in a practice during qualifying.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, Argentina has looked pretty much like I was expecting Brazil to look.

I'm not sure who I'm rooting for in Spain vs. France. I was leaning towards Spain until they played that clip of Spain's Coach going off about Thierry Henry in a practice during qualifying.

Back in Feb.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41376000/jpg/_41376652_eto203gi2.jpg

Eto'o makes anti-racism protest
Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o
Eto'o has been targeted by Zaragoza fans before
Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o threatened to leave the pitch after being subjected to racial abuse by Real Zaragoza supporters on Saturday.

Eto'o was eventually persuaded to continue playing by coach Frank Rijkaard and several team-mates.

Referee Victor Esquinas Torres stopped play during Barca's 2-0 win to ask for an announcement to be made to the crowd calling for an end to the abuse.

Real Zaragoza were fined 600 euros last season after Eto'o was racially abused.

"It was a shame - Samuel is a human being and he felt bad on the pitch," Rijkaard said.

"But I was pleased with the attitude of his team-mates who told him to continue.

"He proved he was able to overcome the circumstances and he made a valuable contribution to our victory.

"It's a real shame that things like this happen as it is thanks to players like Samuel that the fans come to the stadium to be entertained.

"I would also like to say that the referee acted very well."

Real Zaragoza were also fined 600 euros (£400) earlier this month when their fans directed racist insults at Real Betis' forward Robert.

Zaragoza striker Ewerthon said he was ashamed of the action of the club's fans.

"I'm black too," he said.

"I'm a Zaragoza player and totally opposed to the fans who did this. I've been abused too at other grounds in Spain but we need to rise above this.

"The Spanish Federation have to start taking proper measures and we as black players also have to act.

"We are here to work and if things carry on like this it will be impossible."

In November, Messina defender Zoro threatened to halt a Serie A game in Italy after suffering racial abuse from Inter Milan supporters.

BeetDigger
6/27/2006, 01:48 PM
They work together well enough defensively and in the midfield, but as soon as one guy has an opportunity at the goal all thoughts of passing the ball seem to go out the window.

That, in a nutshell, describes my daughters team.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 02:31 PM
spain pk by Villa to take the 1-0 lead in the first 30 minutes.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 03:48 PM
looks like the next round has a rematch of the 98 WC Finals....the clinching goal by Zidane in the 90th minute was fantastic.

King Crimson
6/27/2006, 03:50 PM
France in the 85th and Zidane in the 92nd. ho hum, 3-1 win. only 4 yellow cards all game (refs are slipping).....one to ZZ, though.

colleyvillesooner
6/27/2006, 03:51 PM
THe 2 french people at my work are very happy.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 04:03 PM
France deserved the win....Spain quit playing to win around the 56th minute.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 04:03 PM
France in the 85th and Zidane in the 92nd. ho hum, 3-1 win. only 4 yellow cards all game (refs are slipping).....one to ZZ, though.

You thought it was boring? I thought the play was more aggressive on both sides than I've seen in some of the other games so far - officiated pretty evenly, though.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 04:04 PM
Oh, and I really enjoyed watching Zidane play - his vision of the field is astounding.

King Crimson
6/27/2006, 04:11 PM
You thought it was boring? I thought the play was more aggressive on both sides than I've seen in some of the other games so far - officiated pretty evenly, though.

i was just being a smartass. i meant "Ho hum" sarcastically with regard the two late France goals. *as though* the 3-1 tally were never in doubt.

great match, i thought.

and just think after Spain put it on the Ukriane 5-0, Ukraine is still playing and Spain ain't.

Dr.Quack
6/27/2006, 04:28 PM
Taken as a whole, I thought Spain-France was the most entertaining match of the round of 16. I also thought it was the best officiated match. That tape should be used as a teaching tool for the other referees. There were incorrect calls here and there, but when it counted our man with the whistle came through and facilitated a good and entertaining match.

Just for the pleasure of being wrong, I'll make picks for the quarterfinals.

Germany-Argentina: I don't think the German defense will keep Argentina from scoring, but there's magic in the air for Germany and I never pick against magic. 2-2, Germany advances on penalty kicks

England-Portugal: England's sturdy and often inspired defense will be tested. Portugal will control the ball and look better, but England will make the most of their chances and move on. 2-1 and both goals result from Beckham free kicks set up by rampaging runs by golden boy ROONEY!

Ukraine-Italy: Lovers of the game will find themselves lamenting Ukraine's bad luck as they lose in galant fashion after another craven performance from the Azurri. Italy 1, lovers of the game 0

Brasil-France: Brasil wins 3-2 in the best match of the tournament.

I don't know what the point of that was, but I'd be curious what the other six or so of you think will happen.

Dr.Quack
6/27/2006, 04:50 PM
In Reply to ScottD's interesting post on racism in Spanish club soccer, I'd just say that I was glad for Henry and France. I suppose we all saw the racist comments caught on video by Spain's coach regarding Thiery Henry. It was in the back of my mind during the match especially when we saw Tueron shushing the aging racist prompting the referee to go to the Spanish bench and insist the old man seat himself on the bench. The German director of the telecast clearly knew about the controversy. He cut twice directly from Henry to the Spanish coach and back again. It didn't seem like a coincidence.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 04:51 PM
OK, here goes:

Germany-Argentina: This should be a heck of a game, especially with the home crowd behind Germany. I think the defenses really step up here and the game goes into overtime at 1-1, and another bout of last-second heroics from Argentina ends the game 2-1 Argentina in OT.

England-Portugal: I think England finally wakes up a bit in this game. Plus, Portugal is without Deco and Costinha after the fiasco against the Netherlands. England eeks out another snoozer 1-0.

Ukraine-Italy: Italy's Nesta is still (probably) out with a groin injury, and his replacement got a red card vs. the Aussies, leaving a weak spot in the center of Italy's defense. I think Shevchenko has a breakout day against a weakened Italian back line. 2-0 win for Ukraine.

Brasil-France: France finally forces Brazil to play up to their potential. 3-2 Brazil in OT.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 04:55 PM
The German director of the telecast clearly knew about the controversy. He cut twice directly from Henry to the Spanish coach and back again. It didn't seem like a coincidence.

Yeah, their directors seem pretty in-tune with the games, although they obviously aren't as fond of replays as the American announcers are - a couple of times the US commentators have been caught in a "watch how he.. oh, looks like we're going back to the game".

Oh, and good call on the cameraman not to zoom in on what appeared to be a Spanish fan dangling a naked blow-up doll over the edge of the stadium balcony. ;)

Dr.Quack
6/27/2006, 05:03 PM
OK, here goes:

Ukraine-Italy: Italy's Nesta is still (probably) out with a groin injury, and his replacement got a red card vs. the Aussies, leaving a weak spot in the center of Italy's defense. I think Shevchenko has a breakout day against a weakened Italian back line. 2-0 win for Ukraine.

I like the view in your crystal ball better than mine. I guess I need to buy a few more packages of cracker jacks.

King Crimson
6/27/2006, 05:20 PM
it's probably my heart talking but i kinda like the Ukraine over Italy as well...unless 1. the media superpower status of the Azurri gets in their heads and/or 2. the Ukranians get "we are just happy to be here" disease.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 05:36 PM
I think we'd all like to see Ukraine upset Italy, but I just don't see it happening. The Ukraine may have more of a chance if they smarten back up and put Rebrov back up front with Shevchenko, but we'll see. I think Italy gets by in a snoozefest that surpasses the Swiss/Ukraine snoozefest. Azzuri 1-0.

Argentina and Germany is probably going to be the match of the next round. If Germany doesn't tighten up their defense then Lehmann will be forced to watch 3-4 shots go into the net behind him. On the other hand, this is probably the first real test for Argentina's back 4. I'll go with Argentina 3-2.

England and Portugal...this game has lost some luster with Deco out. I know that an English friend of mine is happy as hell that Deco isn't playing. On a bright note it means that England won't need to use a 4-5-1 and can go back to a 4-4-2. The bad side of that is that they'll probably still play Frank Lampard and Peter Crouch. England wins 2-1 unless they are dumb enough to put Gary Neville in the lineup then it's Paraguay 3-1. Lampard will take 4 shots and be nowhere near the net on any of them.

France and Brazil..ahh yes, the rematch of the 98 final. This is the match that I will sit and watch. Zidane will have a fine showing in his final international match. Brazil avenges their last loss in World Cup play. 3-1 Final...if Robinho plays instead of Adriano 5-2.

TUSooner
6/27/2006, 07:46 PM
Just checking in late again after missing the action again today, except for gamecast and the DVR'd Brazil game.

Taken as a whole, I thought Spain-France was the most entertaining match of the round of 16. I also thought it was the best officiated match. That tape should be used as a teaching tool for the other referees. There were incorrect calls here and there, but when it counted our man with the whistle came through and facilitated a good and entertaining match.

I'm sorry to hear that since I inadvertently deleted it from the DVR. :O

Germany-Argentina: I don't think the German defense will keep Argentina from scoring, but there's magic in the air for Germany and I never pick against magic. 2-2, Germany advances on penalty kicks

Based on no logic at all.... Germany will get a couple of helpful calls from the ref and win 2-1 in OT.

England-Portugal: England's sturdy and often inspired defense will be tested. Portugal will control the ball and look better, but England will make the most of their chances and move on. 2-1 and both goals result from Beckham free kicks set up by rampaging runs by golden boy ROONEY!

England must step it up. They'll look sharp early, then falter, then win 2-1 in OT as Lampard finally hits one from outside the box.

Ukraine-Italy: Lovers of the game will find themselves lamenting Ukraine's bad luck as they lose in galant fashion after another craven performance from the Azurri. Italy 1, lovers of the game 0

'Fraid so, but 2-0. :( Italy is my newest team to hate.

Brasil-France: Brasil wins 3-2 in the best match of the tournament.

I wish I'd seen France. But I have seen Brazil. Still, I think Henry & Viera expose Brazil's defense and win 3-2.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 08:17 PM
I wish I'd seen France. But I have seen Brazil. Still, I think Henry & Viera expose Brazil's defense and win 3-2.

Don't count out Ribery for France, either. Dude has skills.

Scott D
6/27/2006, 09:14 PM
Comment of the day is the one that got the manager for the Ghana side ejected. Apparently at the break for halftime he told the ref to 'Put on a yellow jersey if you want to help them so much.'

JohnnyMack
6/27/2006, 09:27 PM
I'll play along

Germany 2
Argentina 1

England 2
Portugal 0

Italy 1
Ukraine 0

France 3
Brazil 2

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 11:35 PM
Comment of the day is the one that got the manager for the Ghana side ejected. Apparently at the break for halftime he told the ref to 'Put on a yellow jersey if you want to help them so much.'

Heh. He HAD to know he was leaving for that one.

BeetDigger
6/28/2006, 08:31 AM
Brazil 6
France 0

That has a nicer overall feel to it.

Dr.Quack
6/28/2006, 10:10 AM
King Crimson's bold prediction of a Ukraine win got me thinking. This Ukraine team compares hauntingly to the Bulgarian team from 1994. They opened by losing to Nigeria 3-0, maybe a worse beat down than Ukraine losing 4-0 to Spain. Then, the Bulgarian star Hristo Stoichkov became a deadly scorer as Bulgaria went to the semi finals. Ukraine looks more balanced, but they have the striker on fire in Shevchenko. Maybe they'll get to the semi-finals too. Of course it was Italy in a drab semi-final ruined by craven Italian play (and I spent $300 to witness it first hand and still want my money back) that ousted those heroic East Europeans.

I thought it interesting that no one picked Portugal in the quarter finals. Deco is out, but isn't Portugal supposed to have an entire "golden generation" to choose from for a replacement?

Interesting too is the respect France got with three of six picks going their way. They looked great in their last match and are peeking at the right time, but Brasil is still Brasil (or Brazil).

Dr.Quack
6/28/2006, 10:21 AM

If you're going to get tossed, do it in style. That's pretty good, but it reminds me of Gene Mauch's first time getting tossed (I think it was many years into his career). He strode out to the umpire slowly and said, "I don't want to get tossed and I know it's forbidden to argue balls and strikes. Isn't that right?"

UMP: "Yes, Gene, that's forbidden."
GENE: "And I can't call you any dirty names, either, right?"
UMP: "No, you can't call the umpire dirty names, at least not without getting tossed, Gene."
GENE: "Well, if I can't call you a ****ing mother-grabbing son-of-a-b****, can I at least think it?"
UMP: "You can think whatever you like, Gene."
GENE: "Okay, then a I think you're a ****ing mother-grabbing son-of-a-b****."

He got tossed.

JohnnyMack
6/28/2006, 10:40 AM
Interesting too is the respect France got with three of six picks going their way. They looked great in their last match and are peeking at the right time, but Brasil is still Brasil (or Brazil).

I know Brazil is way more talented, but they looked soft to me. France seemed a little more hungry. That and I like to get under Scott's skin.

TUSooner
6/28/2006, 12:53 PM
King Crimson's bold prediction of a Ukraine win got me thinking. This Ukraine team compares hauntingly to the Bulgarian team from 1994. They opened by losing to Nigeria 3-0, maybe a worse beat down than Ukraine losing 4-0 to Spain. Then, the Bulgarian star Hristo Stoichkov became a deadly scorer as Bulgaria went to the semi finals. Ukraine looks more balanced, but they have the striker on fire in Shevchenko. Maybe they'll get to the semi-finals too. Of course it was Italy in a drab semi-final ruined by craven Italian play (and I spent $300 to witness it first hand and still want my money back) that ousted those heroic East Europeans.

I would love to see Italy put out, but they just don't give up goals or let their opponents play.

I thought it interesting that no one picked Portugal in the quarter finals. Deco is out, but isn't Portugal supposed to have an entire "golden generation" to choose from for a replacement?

I know Portugal could win; they may be emotionally lifted after their last win, and England still looks like its searching for its game. But I'm trying to stay in denial about that and hoping England will wake up and survive. So don't mention it again!
:D

Brazil's defense is supposedly "soft", but whetre they ae ACTUALLY soft, I dunno. I predict some French goals because Ghana got into the Brazilian defense but couldn't finish, and France can finish.

Scott D
6/28/2006, 01:33 PM

England and Portugal...this game has lost some luster with Deco out. I know that an English friend of mine is happy as hell that Deco isn't playing. On a bright note it means that England won't need to use a 4-5-1 and can go back to a 4-4-2. The bad side of that is that they'll probably still play Frank Lampard and Peter Crouch. England wins 2-1 unless they are dumb enough to put Gary Neville in the lineup then it's Paraguay 3-1. Lampard will take 4 shots and be nowhere near the net on any of them.

:D

Scott D
6/28/2006, 01:35 PM
Brazil's defense is supposedly "soft", but whetre they ae ACTUALLY soft, I dunno. I predict some French goals because Ghana got into the Brazilian defense but couldn't finish, and France can finish.

France benefitted from the same gameplan that Brazil benefitted from yesterday. Both Spain and Ghana continually played an offside trap which ended up coming back to bite them in the ***.

On a side note, Robinho has already said he expects to be fit enough to play in the quarterfinal.

King Crimson
6/28/2006, 01:54 PM
King Crimson's bold prediction of a Ukraine win got me thinking.

GHP posted it first. FWIW. first accolades would be won by him in the event of it happening. :D

GottaHavePride
6/28/2006, 02:17 PM
GHP posted it first. FWIW. first accolades would be won by him in the event of it happening. :D

Heh. I admit to mostly talking out of my a5s, though. I dislike the Italians, and I'm hoping Ukraine can exploit the defensive hole. Maybe not the most solid reason to make a pick, though.

NormanPride
6/28/2006, 03:07 PM
Why do we hate the Italians?

TUSooner
6/28/2006, 04:10 PM
Why do we hate the Italians?

'Cuz they give the game a bad name the way they play: a cynical, mostly defensive game, punctuated by cheap theatrical dives and whining.

At least that's why I don't like them. :)

NormanPride
6/28/2006, 04:32 PM
'Cuz they give the game a bad name the way they play: a cynical, mostly defensive game, punctuated by cheap theatrical dives and whining.

At least that's why I don't like them. :)

So... like us, but with more scoring? :D

Cam
6/28/2006, 07:55 PM
Don't tell Scott, but Gary Neville's expected to fit for Saturday's game. :eek:

Scott D
6/28/2006, 07:56 PM
Don't tell Scott, but Gary Neville's expected to fit for Saturday's game. :eek:

Go Portugal? :D

Cam
6/28/2006, 07:58 PM
I forget how seriously some people take things, especially the Football folk.

I was kidding about the rule changes. No way that they change the rules to appease the 'Merican's. I suspect that the soccer loving nations embrace soccer even more given the lack of interest that the sport has in 'Merica. Yeah, the French and German's would love to appease 'Merican viewing tastes.
Trust me when I say that I've heard people say what you said very seriously. Baffles my mind.

For me, stupid 'Merican who actually doesn't hate soccer in spite of never playing it, I wish they would show more closeups of the ball handling. They show it in the ads for the games, yet they don't show it that much during the games.

Now, I prepare to get comments back from the Football aficionados like "if you had played the game, you would be able to tell the footwork from 100 yards away" or "you can't change the camera angles, that is a distinct part of the game to watch it from the top of the stadium." So if I my comments, which are not intended to offend anyone, somehow offend anyone, then I apologize in advance.
I'd like it if they did that as well, but I think it'd be pretty darn difficult to do. I don't think it'd work too well live, but on replay it would rock. That if is you were fortunate to have the camera on the right player at the right time.

Cam
6/28/2006, 07:59 PM
Go Portugal? :D
I'm not gonna pick cause I've been wrong quite a bit the last few games.

A 3-1 Portugal victory wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Scott D
6/28/2006, 08:06 PM
if I see Neville on the pitch, my allegiance will officially go to Portugal that match.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 12:06 AM
So I flipped over to Fox Soccer Channel, and they were showing the West Ham vs. Chelsea match from April 9th. Holy cow. Not only did I not realize just how many people at the World Cup are playing for Chelsea, but coming back from being behind 1-0 to win 4-1, all while losing Maniche to a red card 16 minutes in... pretty dang good display there.

Cam
6/29/2006, 04:08 AM
So I flipped over to Fox Soccer Channel, and they were showing the West Ham vs. Chelsea match from April 9th. Holy cow. Not only did I not realize just how many people at the World Cup are playing for Chelsea, but coming back from being behind 1-0 to win 4-1, all while losing Maniche to a red card 16 minutes in... pretty dang good display there.
And they've adding Ballack and Schevchinko.

On paper, they have a very legit shot at winning 3 or 4 trophies this year.

Scott D
6/29/2006, 08:31 AM
true, but they 'may' be losing Gallas, there are other transfer links out there involving Robben, and Makalele.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 12:37 PM
true, but they 'may' be losing Gallas, there are other transfer links out there involving Robben, and Makalele.
That's too bad, Makalele looked really good in France's last game.

Oh, and they're going to show Arsenal / Manchester Utd. from the same day today at 2:00.

Scott D
6/29/2006, 01:01 PM
btw, you are missing out if you don't get GolTV.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 03:20 PM
Sadly, Cox doesn't offer GolTV at all. I'm assuming that's a spanish-language soccer channel?

Scott D
6/29/2006, 03:22 PM
sometimes...most of the commercials are in spanish, some of the games as well, but a majority of games are in English.

It was fun watching the Mexico Argentina game yesterday in Spanish....they went nuts over Maxi's goal.

NormanPride
6/29/2006, 04:53 PM
The Irish guy that ESPN has every once in a while cracks my *** up.

Scott D
6/29/2006, 04:53 PM
Tommy Smyth...he's good.

In other news, for people with Galavision, they are replaying Japan/Brazil right now.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of sad they didn't have Tommy Smyth on one of the two crews they're using for the later-stage world cup games.

Cam
6/29/2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of sad they didn't have Tommy Smyth on one of the two crews they're using for the later-stage world cup games.
So am I. He's by far their best commentator.

Scott D
6/29/2006, 09:20 PM

During the Champions League matches, they were using Tommy to groom Marcelo Balboa so they could move Tommy to the World Cup Tonight studio during the World Cup.

GottaHavePride
6/30/2006, 12:15 AM
Oh, and I saw on FSC that Neville is slated to start against Portugal.

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 12:18 AM
awwlright: I'm swinging the hammer:

the Ukraine advances tomorrow.

http://www.manyflags.com/images/International/UA.jpg

birddog
6/30/2006, 09:45 AM
oh boy, oh boy. i'm sportin' a bulge. argentina 2 mannschaft 1. italy 2 ukraine 0. italy looks scary now every time they get in the final 3rd. i think today they finally convert a couple.

birddog
6/30/2006, 09:51 AM
oh man, i just peeked out the window and realized my amateur paint job on my motorcycle has already begun to crack from the sun. stupid colorado sun kills everything.:( i'm still sportin' a bulge though.:P

birddog
6/30/2006, 09:52 AM
good, it doesn't look 105 degrees out there.

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 10:00 AM
good, it doesn't look 105 degrees out there.

i think it's gonna be plenty warm here in Colorado today, my friend.

matchcast is loading Argentina-Ivory Coast from June 10, argh.

birddog
6/30/2006, 10:02 AM
what, no telly for you?

birddog
6/30/2006, 10:03 AM
man, already a yellow in 3rd minute. lots of tension out there.

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 10:11 AM
what, no telly for you?

no, i gots to get some stuff done this AM before the weekend/holiday week since i'm taking some time off. it was either tomorrow or today i'd have to miss....and id' rather just get it done and not worry about it.

birddog
6/30/2006, 10:16 AM
i'll pretend i didn't read that.:D have fun.

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 10:22 AM
i'll pretend i didn't read that.:D have fun.

i may zip over to a buddies to watch the second game. and, i'd like to crack a couple beers this afternoon should the opportunity present itself. :D

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 10:24 AM
matchcast is back up and running, so not all's bad.

birddog
6/30/2006, 11:01 AM
0-0 at the half. not rally any clear cut chances for either side.

JohnnyMack
6/30/2006, 11:02 AM
espn360.com has it online too.

birddog
6/30/2006, 11:06 AM
goal argentina. 1-0. 49th minute.

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 11:26 AM
espn360.com has it online too.

yeah, that's pretty sweet. Live video, not a gamecast.

http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 11:38 AM
Germany ties it up on an Awesome goal.

1-1
81st minute

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 11:40 AM
I've never seen Germany play before, but they got a couple of little guys that have some wheels!

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:13 PM
Going to 2nd overtime. Click on the ESPN 360 link above to watch live.

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 12:29 PM
according to matchcast, alot of ARG shots here in the last couple minutes.

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:32 PM
Going to penalty kicks. Hope you are watching the link or TV.

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:38 PM
After 2 kicks each

Germany - 2
Argentina - 1

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 12:39 PM
wow! an injured Ballack scores, and an easy save by Jens

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:39 PM
After 3 kicks each

Germany - 3
Argentina - 2

Nice what looked to be a Zieg heil (sp?) from the German Player. If so, :mad:

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 12:40 PM
best ARG can do is tie...

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:40 PM
Germany making it look easy. A stop here wins it.

And it's over. Stadium going crazy.

Germany wins

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 12:41 PM
HOLY COW! WHAT A FINISH!

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:42 PM
Mini fight on the field. CLICK THE VIDEO LINK ABOVE!!!

JohnnyMack
FIGHT!!!!!

silverwheels
Jens Lehmann is a badass.

Scott D
6/30/2006, 12:44 PM
wow...just wow.

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 12:45 PM
wow...just wow.

explain.

Scott D
6/30/2006, 12:49 PM
Argentina's coach just flat out blew it.

He made some questionable lineup changes for this match that are going to be second guessed in Argentina for a long time.

soonerscuba
6/30/2006, 12:50 PM
Germany just stamped their ticket to the final.

silverwheels
6/30/2006, 12:56 PM
Germany just stamped their ticket to the final.

Brazil-Germany again...

JohnnyMack
6/30/2006, 01:06 PM
I'm pushing for an Axis/Allies semi-final.

JohnnyMack
6/30/2006, 01:07 PM
Argentina's coach just flat out blew it.

He made some questionable lineup changes for this match that are going to be second guessed in Argentina for a long time.

Yeah but Germany played their *** off late in the second half. And it's not the coach's fault that the keeper got knocked out.

Scott D
6/30/2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah but Germany played their *** off late in the second half. And it's not the coach's fault that the keeper got knocked out.

he benched Saviola for Tevez (Messi would have been the better choice), he benched Cambiasso for Luis Gonzales (why?) He brought Cambiasso in for Riquelme instead of an unfit Gonzales? He left Pablo Aimar on the bench instead of bringing him in for Riquelme. When he took Crespo out he replaced him not with Saviola or Messi, but with Julio Cruz.

Losing the starting keeper is a tough break, but he's going to be questioned about not making the moves I just mentioned in 30 seconds of posting.

birddog
6/30/2006, 02:26 PM
cambiasso wasn't benched scotty. he missed a pk. but cruz didn't provide much in the attack and messi can change the game in a single run. that was a game of very high quality. but while the coach couldn't anticipate the keeper being injured, he shoulda made a move for messi earlier. crespo was non-existent today. shame.

birddog
6/30/2006, 02:28 PM
nevermind, i konw what you're saying now.

birddog
6/30/2006, 02:32 PM
italy struck early. it's all on shevchenko's shoulders now for the ukraine. [ukranian] you no say ukraine is weak. [kramer] buzz off pal we're playing a game here.

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 02:41 PM
the Ukraine is playing possum early, the Azzurri's bloating self-egoism will be their undoing.

:O

birddog
6/30/2006, 02:50 PM
germany will be italy's undoing. hopefully ballack will be fit by then.

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 03:08 PM
Okay, that had to hurt. Italian Goalie makes a diving save but goes head first into the post. OUCH!

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 03:19 PM
2-0. the ghost of pre-shot clock Dean Smith now hovering over the pitch...

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 03:22 PM
heh

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 03:24 PM
Wow, amazing. The Italian player is down for about 30 sec- 1 min writhing in pain in his knee. The Ukraines due the right thing and send it out of bounds. The Ref walks over to the player, asks if he needs assistance, he says No, and gets up and play continues.

PU-SSY.

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2006, 03:28 PM
3-0 Italy.

I REALLY hate their shennanigans.

GottaHavePride
6/30/2006, 04:13 PM
OK, Argentina - Germany : Wow. Amazing game. Probably the best game so far. Yeah, I can't understand why they pulled Riquelme (unless he was hurting or gassed - and it didn't look like either). And I also don't know why they didn't get Messi or Saviola in the game. On the other hand, Odonkor was a fantastic sub for Germany - he had some great moments today. Great performance by Lehmann, even after the announcers were commenting how unimpressive he's been at the world cup.

Italy - Ukraine: I only got to see the last half of this or so. There didn't appear to be nearly as much writhing on the ground from the Italians this time out. The Ukrainians managed to make Italy look like world-beaters, though. They couldn't buy a shot today. They needed at least one more serious threat to draw some attention away from Shevchenko.

birddog
6/30/2006, 09:07 PM
you'd think cambiasso for argentina would know his hair isn't thick and lustrous like his mates. he should shave his gulliver and quit clinging to those scraps in the front.

birddog
6/30/2006, 09:11 PM
england 1 portugal 0. brazil 2 france 0.
portugal will really have a tough time without deco running things in the middle. i think it's gonna put too much pressure on an aging but very skillful luis figo. ronaldo is listed as "questionable". add to that costinho being out with cards and i'm afraid portugal will be limited in the midfield. and i would definitely play hargreaves before neville. neville=jeff agoos.

Scott D
6/30/2006, 10:22 PM
england 1 portugal 0. brazil 2 france 0.
portugal will really have a tough time without deco running things in the middle. i think it's gonna put too much pressure on an aging but very skillful luis figo. ronaldo is listed as "questionable". add to that costinho being out with cards and i'm afraid portugal will be limited in the midfield. and i would definitely play hargreaves before neville. neville=jeff agoos.

If I was Scolari, I'd have Portugal attack the right side of England all match...between Beckham and Neville, there isn't a shred of defending ability on the right.

TUSooner
7/1/2006, 07:55 AM
Well, here's my token appearance for the day, from lovely Little Rock, where my daughter is in the soccer regionals for U18. Stopped in Jackson, MS, for lunch and saw the 2d half and finish of the Ger / Arg match. Well worth the long stop. Germany's equaliser was a beaut. Where was Crespo? I really though Arg was ging to get a goal in the OT.

Didn't see Italy's match, but stopped caring when I heard by phone they were up 2-0. Plan to be stuck to the tube in a couple of hours to watch England, but will miss the afternooner because Daughter will be playing vs a team from Tulsa that's supposed to be very good.
I look forward to more piercing and insightful post-game commentary from this thread. :D

Scott D
7/1/2006, 09:52 AM
go...port..u...gal....go! :D

Lalas and Dickwad picked Portugal, Foudy picked England (for fear of in-law reprisal) :D

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 09:57 AM
ABC is really cloying...just had to say it. get it off my chest.

could the broadcast be *more* pro-England?

Scott D
7/1/2006, 09:58 AM
yeah...**** it, I'm watching Univision. :D

and Cristiano Ronaldo is playing according to them.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 09:59 AM
i usually mute and listen to tunes.

birddog
7/1/2006, 09:59 AM
atleast they have hargeaves as a defenive mid. are they running 2 up front?

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:01 AM
did I mention the Univision feed is about 3 seconds faster than ABC's feed? :)

birddog
7/1/2006, 10:03 AM
well, no one running off rooney again.

Scott D
England's running the 4-5-1 again with Hargreaves in the holder position that they had Carrick in last match.

birddog
spoiler tags then scotty, spoiler tags.:D

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:07 AM
England with the first quality chance.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:08 AM
and the only english born player I dislike more than Gary Neville is Phil Neville who thankfully was left off the team :D

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:09 AM
Univision's broadcast brought to you by McDonalds :D

birddog
7/1/2006, 10:10 AM
do you think posh screens gary's calls?

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:14 AM
Ok...here are my over unders for the game.

Under, 50 minutes of play before Neville gets carded or has a defensive blunder.

Over, Lampard having more than 3 shots that are nowhere near the net.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 10:22 AM
Portugal's socks are pretty spiffy. bad D by ENG's #2 in the box on that shot high from PORT's wing. got completely turned around.

birddog
7/1/2006, 10:28 AM
this can't even sniff the euro 2002 match? remember that beauty?

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:29 AM
Portugal's socks are pretty spiffy. bad D by ENG's #2 in the box on that shot high from PORT's wing. got completely turned around.

mistake #1 from neville ;)

birddog
7/1/2006, 10:30 AM
'04.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 10:31 AM
and lampard's challenge not being whistled led to Terry being carded.

birddog
7/1/2006, 10:37 AM
this sucks so far.looks like a lacrosse game with everyone hanging around the box and the offense trying to find their way thru.

birddog
7/1/2006, 10:46 AM
lampard with a shot on frame.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 11:20 AM
and now England gets to use it's newly minted 4-5-0. I think the red was unwarranted on Rooney, and it should have been a yellow.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 11:23 AM
I would hope that Joe Cole was injured to take him out for Crouch...they should have taken Lampard out for him if Cole wasn't injured.

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 11:53 AM
I think that Ronaldo fellow is a complete piece of sh*t. But I'm new to this.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:12 PM
Potrugal...so many shots on goal int he last 20 minutes of play**. not all good chances....but it would be a pity (for them) to let this thing equalize in shootout.

**matchcast has it at about 8-2 over that period.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:13 PM
just cuz, here's sending some "go get'em's" to TU's girls team....

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:17 PM
Oh NO!.....man, that was close. he did look off-side on the replay though the limey defender came back into the play fast enough in real speed to make it look like a goal. i don't want them to show it again while play is in....but i do want to see it again.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:40 PM
jeez, golden opportunity blown by portugal. and another. argh!

why they aren'y showing that blonde chick with the "man of the match" cleavage at the Fox and Hound anymore is annoying me. some kid with pimples jumping up and down making some horn blwoing shape with his hands is not *anywhere* as good.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:41 PM
keepers have been strong in the shootout the last two days....YES! 2-1 Portugal.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:43 PM
SAVE!

put em away....

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:44 PM
YES!

Scott D
7/1/2006, 12:49 PM
Sven earned that loss. This is why you don't break the rule of not playing one of the Neville brothers when you want to win an important match. Then again, his choice of penalty kickers was questionable as well.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:49 PM
watching the Portugal team celebrate:

is making me feel a little uneasy. just goofy.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:53 PM
Foudy and Lalas talking over and silencing Wynalda mid sentence.....spek.

why does Musberger have to be there again?

Scott D
7/1/2006, 12:55 PM
because they pay him lots of money instead of putting someone decent like say Dave Revsine there ;)

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 12:59 PM
yeah, isn't there a horserace or something he could be doing instead. turning on yer TV and hearing his voice as yer first contact with humanity at 8:30 MST is not a good way to start the day. i still think he's gonna talk about how cute Chris Simms *** is....or start some stream of consciousness dada thing about "the Major" and his "ol' pardner" Gary Danielson.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2006, 01:01 PM
Foudy and Lalas talking over and silencing Wynalda mid sentence.....spek.

why does Musberger have to be there again?

He's there to ask questions to set Wynalda off again to give Foudy and Lalas something to do. ;)

And I don't know, Rooney stomped one of the Portugal players in the junk and then got in a shoving match all just a few feet away from the ref - looked like a pretty justified red card to me.

But yeah, England needed to use their last sub on Lampard, not to bring a still-relatively-fresh Lennon off. And I KNEW Lampard was going to miss, I just assumed it was going to wind up over the goal and into the cheap seats like all his other shots.

If Beckham had been able to stay in, he might have added another PK for England at the end, but Portugal's goalie was just flat-out better than England's - the only thing saving them in this game was that neither team could find a decent shot until PKs.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 01:04 PM
I don't know how ABC showed it, but on the Univision broadcast (which doesn't do many cuts to replays at all) it looked completely unintentional when he stepped on the Portugal player's junk and more like he couldn't really get anywhere he could have set that foot. The Portugese players started the shoving with Rooney who does have a shorter fuse than most (Napoleon complex imo).

Either way, English fans will blame this loss on two people...Sven for sure, and Lampard most likely as well.

It's a crime for English football every season Owen Hargreaves doesn't get a transfer back to England to play. I don't think he's played a single professional match in England.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 01:13 PM
The more I look at England's roster today, the more I question the moves Sven made in terms of substitutions....

He started with a 4-5-1. He subs Lennon for Beckham (understandable..still a 4-5-1)

Rooney gets red carded temporarily a 4-5-0...subs Crouch for Cole (now 4-4-1)

Subs Carragher for Lennon now playing a 5-3-1 to end the game.

I would have subbed Crouch in for Lampard as I stated earlier in the thread, and if I'm bringing Carragher in, I bring him in for Neville to continue to cover at the right back position for a guy who is barely back into the world of match fitness.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 01:21 PM
British commentators on Sky Sports News right now just hammering Sven for the team he picked, the lineup he picked, and the formations he used.

Paperclip
7/1/2006, 01:23 PM
Sven earned that loss. This is why you don't break the rule of not playing one of the Neville brothers when you want to win an important match.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_62/neville.jpg

Sorry, I don't have much to add to a soccer discussion.

Dr.Quack
7/1/2006, 01:24 PM
It's a shame that any team must lose on PKs. I know it's the best of the many bad solutions, but I still feel a little empty after matches that end that way. I feel badly for Argentina's and England's fans. I thought it was funny that the stadium played the song "Que sera, sera" ("Whatever will be, will be") prior to the shootout in England-Portugal. That sums it up nicely. Is that something new, or have you heard that song in that context before?

Dr.Quack
7/1/2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_62/neville.jpg

Sorry, I don't have much to add to a soccer discussion.

It's a solid contribution.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 01:37 PM
is that the Nevilles or the Meters?

i never heard that song before but if it was in the US they prolly would have played something much more annoying....like foreigner or the stones "start me up"....and had a dot race and dog's catching frisbees and a "silicon (err...I mean dance) team". :D

Scott D
7/1/2006, 02:01 PM
Brazil going with a 4-5-1...might be too many players in the midfield, but putting Adriano on the bench might be the right move.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 02:03 PM
I should amend that....Brazil playing a 4-5-1 is more like them playing a 4-1-3-1-1

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 03:18 PM
Beautiful goal!

Scott D
7/1/2006, 03:52 PM
Go Germany

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 03:54 PM
Dear Ronaldinho,

Since you don't have anything else to do, why not go cut your greasy hair?

Thanks.

snp
7/1/2006, 03:57 PM
Boo France.

But go Zidane.

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 04:03 PM
OK, here goes:

Germany-Argentina: This should be a heck of a game, especially with the home crowd behind Germany. I think the defenses really step up here and the game goes into overtime at 1-1, and another bout of last-second heroics from Argentina ends the game 2-1 Argentina in OT.

England-Portugal: I think England finally wakes up a bit in this game. Plus, Portugal is without Deco and Costinha after the fiasco against the Netherlands. England eeks out another snoozer 1-0.

Brasil-France: France finally forces Brazil to play up to their potential. 3-2 Brazil in OT.

Remind me never to go to Vegas with you.

silverwheels
7/1/2006, 04:06 PM
Allez Les Bleus!

This is probably the happiest I've been the whole World Cup.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:11 PM
I wish I could share your enthusiasm silverwheels, but outside of Zidane and Henry I can't stand a single person on the France roster..especially Viera and Barthez.

Ribery is going to make some big bucks when he leaves Marseilles before next season.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 04:12 PM
the network and advertising guys are crying. no brazil, no england....wah!

GottaHavePride
7/1/2006, 04:12 PM
Remind me never to go to Vegas with you.

If you'd been with me last time I was in Vegas, you would have already known that. ;)

At least my Germany-Argentina pick was the closest - it did go to OT at 1-1, but ended in PK, not OT, and with Argentina relying on a backup goalie, well...

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:13 PM
But to be fair, for 90 minutes today France was the more in form side.....I still don't believe that they are the better team.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:14 PM
the network and advertising guys are crying. no brazil, no england....wah!

to be fair, I think anyone outside of Europe wanted at least one representative in the semi finals to not be from Europe ;)

GottaHavePride
I wish I could share your enthusiasm silverwheels, but outside of Zidane and Henry I can't stand a single person on the France roster..especially Viera and Barthez.

Ribery is going to make some big bucks when he leaves Marseilles before next season.

Makelele looked prtty good against Spain, though he didn't show up much today.

The way it's going right now I'd pick a Germany-France final.

silverwheels

I just hate watching Brazil win all the time. This is the first time since 1990 that they haven't made it to the World Cup Final.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:16 PM
I just hate watching Brazil win all the time. This is the first time since 1990 that they haven't made it to the World Cup Final.

understandable....but if we go based on history, I'll go ahead and put money down that France doesn't even get out of it's qualifying group in 2010 ;)

silverwheels
7/1/2006, 04:17 PM
understandable....but if we go based on history, I'll go ahead and put money down that France doesn't even get out of it's qualifying group in 2010 ;)

Haha...I can't believe that happened. But then they can just eliminate Brazil again in 2014. :D

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:18 PM
Haha...I can't believe that happened. But then they can just eliminate Brazil again in 2014. :D

well in 2002 Zidane was injured..in 2010 he'll be sitting in a barcalounger eating croissants ;)

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 04:20 PM
But to be fair, for 90 minutes today France was the more in form side.....I still don't believe that they are the better team.

I think Brazil is infinitely more talented.

Was this at all like watching the Red Wings in the playoffs?

<ducks>

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:35 PM
I think Brazil is infinitely more talented.

Was this at all like watching the Red Wings in the playoffs?

<ducks>

I hate you very much...enjoy losing Elias.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 04:36 PM
to be fair, I think anyone outside of Europe wanted at least one representative in the semi finals to not be from Europe ;)

me too, but for CBS it's like Tiger missed the cut.

like i said, no Brazil.

don't think it's much accident that most (all?) CBS games featured the USA or Germany or England (the good whitey teams) or Brazil (the big draw).

just another example of how big (sports) media reduces coverage to maximizing demographics and a bad commitment to sport (or content), itself.

JMO.

Scott D
7/1/2006, 04:39 PM
me too, but for CBS it's like Tiger missed the cut.

like i said, no Brazil.

don't think it's much accident that most (all?) CBS games featured the USA or Germany or England (the good whitey teams) or Brazil (the big draw).

just another example of how big (sports) media reduces coverage to maximizing demographics and a bad commitment to sport (or content), itself.

JMO.

maybe the media needs to get more control so that italy can be banned from any future world cup appearances ;)

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 04:46 PM
hey now, my great grandmother was full blooded italian, we still have lasagne at t-giving and x-mas in addition to ham and turkey at extended family affairs....i just didn't want to live with the nonsense i'm living with from my friends who are *from italy*. slick, i had 5 emails and a ton of voicemails after yesterday's miracle upset of the Ukraine.

i don't have anything against italy per se....except their style of play and a desire to snub it in the face of people i consider friends.

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2006, 05:03 PM
i really wanted a germany/italy - england/france semi-finals......a smart tv producer would bill it as "the axis and allies" semi's......

whether france is better or not than brazil, today they were faster and had better ball control

zidane is crazy good imo

Scott D
7/1/2006, 05:11 PM
hey now, my great grandmother was full blooded italian, we still have lasagne at t-giving and x-mas in addition to ham and turkey at extended family affairs....i just didn't want to live with the nonsense i'm living with from my friends who are *from italy*. slick, i had 5 emails and a ton of voicemails after yesterday's miracle upset of the Ukraine.

i don't have anything against italy per se....except their style of play and a desire to snub it in the face of people i consider friends.

just remember to rub it in their faces when Serie A gets the 2006 Tour de France treatment in a few months ;)

Scott D
7/1/2006, 05:12 PM
i really wanted a germany/italy - england/france semi-finals......a smart tv producer would bill it as "the axis and allies" semi's......

whether france is better or not than brazil, today they were faster and had better ball control

zidane is crazy good imo

Now you know why he was the 3x FIFA World Player of the Year in his prime.

I do somewhat wish he'd come to MLS instead of completely retiring from football.

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 05:21 PM

zidane is crazy good imo

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1424938&postcount=1133

Soonerus
7/1/2006, 06:32 PM
Now you know why he was the 3x FIFA World Player of the Year in his prime.

I do somewhat wish he'd come to MLS instead of completely retiring from football.

Scott D, you're avatar person looks familiar to me, is she a Norman resident ?

Scott D
7/1/2006, 07:09 PM
Scott D, you're avatar person looks familiar to me, is she a Norman resident ?

she's just some random Italian chick at the World Cup

http://sargman.freehomepage.com/images/italia.jpg

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 07:16 PM
she's just some random Italian chick at the World Cup

http://sargman.freehomepage.com/images/italia.jpg

You suck at cropping pictures.

;)

Scott D
7/1/2006, 07:33 PM
more like I'm playing it safe.

JohnnyMack
7/1/2006, 09:45 PM
Heh.

TUSooner
7/2/2006, 09:48 AM
just cuz, here's sending some "go get'em's" to TU's girls team....
Thanks, Crimson. We lost 2-0, but it coulda been 5-0. No matter; a win or tie today puts us through and allows me to spend another $109 night at this lovely hotel. :rolleyes:
England's loss was not a disapointment, because they got exactly what they played for and deserved. They played not to lose all month, and especially played for PKs in their last match. They should have made sure they had some PK scorers on hand though. Good riddance, Sven! Too bad McLaren doesn't seem to promise much more. As much as I like Lampard, he just failed to perform in this WC, and the missed PK was just the cherry on top of the poo-poo sundae he created all month long.

I saw a replay of the 2d half of France-Brazil. How does the opposition's #1 offensive threat (Henry) go totally unmarked on a set piece???? Good for France, but I will miss Brazil; they put on a great finish, and I swear Ronaldinho was headed for a mind-boggling equalizer until he got whistled for an invisible foul. Oh well.

My latest prediction: Italy will win it all, and the USA will be able to "boast" that we tied the World Cup holders.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 10:02 AM
My latest prediction: Italy will win it all, and the USA will be able to "boast" that we tied the World Cup holders.

that's kind of the tact i'm working through in my mind.....for dealing with my Italian friends.....something along those lines. something like: yeah, but you couldn't even beat a US team playing a man down....

needs some fine-tuning so it seems like i really believe it. once you t'row it out there you have to go 100% without any concessions at all. to be perceived ignorant or ridiculous is better than inconsistancy in such matters.

JohnnyMack
7/2/2006, 11:10 AM
I hate you very much...enjoy losing Elias.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2507226

Suck it Nancy.

;)

So Detroit isn't going to offer Legace? I don't know that Ozzie can carry the load, are they going to deal him for someone else?

TUSooner
7/2/2006, 11:58 AM
I saw where Alan Shearer said Rooney should "Stick one" to Cristiano Ronaldo when they next meet at Man U. :)
Altho' Ronaldo denies it, it's widely suspected that he pleaded for the red card that got Rooney sent off, and he winked at the Portugal bench after Rooney left.

Somebody should stomp Ronaldo's nutz, assuming the whiny beyonce has any. buhhhhhh

Guess I'm stuck now on hoping for a Germany-France final since I can't like either Italy or Portugal at the moment.

GottaHavePride
7/2/2006, 12:16 PM
That'd be a good final. Wine and cheese vs. bratwurst. ;)

Scott D
7/2/2006, 02:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2507226

Suck it Nancy.

;)

So Detroit isn't going to offer Legace? I don't know that Ozzie can carry the load, are they going to deal him for someone else?

not that this belongs in this thread, but Legace was informed a few weeks ago that he wasn't going to get an offer. Osgood is signed to be the backup, and they're looking at either trading for one of San Jose's goalies, Biron from Buffalo, or Giguere from Anaheim, or they *may* see what Belfour and Hasek want.

BTW, Lou is apparently going to put the Devils over the cap. He think he's the old Rangers now? :)

Scott D
7/2/2006, 02:34 PM
Back on topic...general world cup fallout.

Argentina makes questionable lineup moves.....they lose, Coach resigns same day.

Sven makes questionable lineup moves....they lose, Beckham steps down as Captain the following day.

German leadership have given Klinsmann a 5 week ultimatum to decide if he wants to continue as the coach of the National Team.

and TU, Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed that Real Madrid have begun pursuing him, so he may not be at Manchester United much longer.

TUSooner
7/2/2006, 11:01 PM
... Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed that Real Madrid have begun pursuing him, so he may not be at Manchester United much longer.

He's probably a good fit at Real Madrid. That's where hot dogs go to become wienies.

OK, I know that's not funny and doesn't make any sense, but I just got back to the hotel after stuffing my gut with ravioli and wine at the team dinner. But Daughter's team won today with a truly inspired 2nd half, so we advance out of group play. Quarterfinals vs a team from the Tampa area. yee haw

TUSooner
7/3/2006, 10:49 PM
Daughter's team lost 3-0 to the Florida bunch, but they put on a good show. We were a U17 team playing "up" as a wild card in the U18 bracket. But we beat U18 teams from S Carolina and Baton Rouge, and did a creditable job in the two losses. We only took 13 players. and the heat revealed some sub-par conditioning. In the last game, we only had 12 as one of our center-backs was tossing her cookies all night and was too sick, weak and dehydrated to play. My little darlin is usually a forward or outside mid, but played right-back the whole game. All in all, it was a great trip, and it left me with a much better impression of Arkansas than my last trip there a couple of summers ago. Burns Park in North Little Rock is maybe the greatest park evar. Beautiful surroundings and excellent fields, the kind that practically force you to take off your shoes and get your toes in the grass.

OK, now back to the big guys:
I'll be pulling for the [edit: GERMANS] at home tomorrow, and hoping that the [edit: FRENCH] send Ronaldo and the [edit: PORTUGUESE] home on Wednesday.
With the Blessing, I'll be watching the Final between France & Germany on Sunday evening at my cousin's favorite pub in Hinckley, Leicestershire, UK. I hope the [edit: FRENCH] do better against the [edit: GERMANS] than they did in the Franco-Prussian war and the 2WWs. It would have been too good to see England in it, but alas.....

Paperclip
7/3/2006, 11:00 PM
OK, now back to the big guys:
I'll be pulling for the Krauts at home tomorrow, and hoping that the Frogs send Ronaldo and the Portagees home on Wednesday.
With the Blessing, I'll be watching the Final between France & Germany on Sunday evening at my cousin's favorite pub in Hinckley, Leicestershire, UK. I hope the Frenchies do better against the Boches than they did in the Franco-Prussian war and the 2WWs. It would have been too good to see England in it, but alas.....

That's an impressive use of slurs. You probably should have mentioned that the Krauts are playing the Wops.

Scott D
7/3/2006, 11:02 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything, but gotta go with Clup on this one.

TUSooner
7/3/2006, 11:10 PM
That's an impressive use of slurs. You probably should have mentioned that the Krauts are playing the Wops.
No offense intended. :O But I did reckon "Dagos" would have been over the top, since I can't claim any known Italian ancestors like I can the rest.

I didn't realize y'all were so sensitive. But consider me suitably chastised.

Paperclip
7/3/2006, 11:11 PM
Hey, I wasn't chastising. I was legitimately impressed. I thought Archie Bunker had registered. :D

TUSooner
7/3/2006, 11:24 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything, but gotta go with Clup on this one.

There are too few of us on this thread; I can't afford to offend anyone.
Please accept this peace offering: :twinkies:

And I actually don't have any Portuguese ancestors that I know of either, and the French ones are just rumors.

Scott D
7/3/2006, 11:29 PM
I wasn't offended...besides, my 'euro' half is purely Scottish :)

King Crimson
7/4/2006, 10:07 AM
Klinsman in 2010?

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2006gerusa&prov=afp&type=lgns

Scott D
7/4/2006, 10:26 AM
Problem with that story is that the DSR has given him 5 weeks to decide on an extension, and they as well will be throwing more money at Klinsmann than he's making now. They neglected to mention that in the yahoo article.

josh09
7/4/2006, 04:10 PM
wooohoooo

go italy

josh09
7/4/2006, 04:10 PM
if this board created a soccer forum, i think that would be pretty funny

Scott D
7/4/2006, 04:15 PM
Other news tidbits...

Roberto Carlos (Brazil) and Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan) both retiring from International play today.

Brazil's coach Parreira refuses to meet demands that he resign as head coach, and will not announce anything about his future until after he meets with the Brazil FA.

silverwheels
7/4/2006, 04:36 PM
If it's Italy vs. Portugal in the Final then I may just have to shoot someone. Allez Les Bleus! Au Finale!

TUSooner
7/4/2006, 04:37 PM
Well... as much as I was pulling for Germany, Italy deserved the win. They let Germany have a few chances, but they never let Germany's slow and deliberate attacks break through the pack. Too bad the Germans didn't play Odonkor a little bit sooner to open the wings up. On the other hand, the Italian attacks and counterattacks were much more brisk and fluid and purposeful.

And major props to the Mexican ref for making the players play; he was properly skeptical about a lot of the contact and diving & stuff. Probably the best reffing of any game I've seen this WC. Glad it didn't go to PKs.

I guess for the rest of the way it's "Vive la France!" for me.

King Crimson
7/4/2006, 04:37 PM
Problem with that story is that the DSR has given him 5 weeks to decide on an extension, and they as well will be throwing more money at Klinsmann than he's making now. They neglected to mention that in the yahoo article.

maybe they won't be throwing that much $$$ at him now.

frickin Italy. i'm going to a BBQ tonight with a bunch of Italians. food will be good though.

King Crimson
7/4/2006, 04:39 PM
I knew Germany was in trouble when they weren't getting any shots on goal. i thought Klose and Ballack would have been more dangerous. oh well.

TUSooner
7/4/2006, 04:41 PM
I knew Germany was in trouble when they weren't getting any shots on goal. i thought Klose and Ballack would have been more dangerous. oh well.

Agree. Especially about Klose & Ballack being pretty darn disappointing.

Scott D
7/4/2006, 04:41 PM
in that last 15 minutes Germany was mainly playing for pk's and it showed.

silverwheels
7/4/2006, 04:45 PM

Well, when you're 4-0 in PK's in World Cup history, you'd have to like your chances.

mrowl
7/4/2006, 04:46 PM

even this soccer noob noticed that.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 04:50 PM
I'm now pulling for France, solely because I like watching Zidane play. Stupid Italy. ;)