PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy

Herr Scholz
6/8/2006, 09:52 AM
Nice story in the DMN about McCoy and his Dad helping save a man's life. Reminded me of McGruder's heroics.

UT QB McCoy helps seizure victim

12:45 AM CDT on Thursday, June 8, 2006
By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Texas football fans Ken and Patina Herrington now hope that redshirt freshman Colt McCoy wins the starting quarterback job this fall after he helped saved Ken's life on Memorial Day.

Around 9 p.m. May 29, Patina Herrington said the neighbor's chocolate Labrador, Annibell, was barking and scratching at the back door of her home in Graham, Texas. Herrington said she knew something was wrong, grabbed a flashlight and headed outside.

It was almost pitch-dark, but Herrington said she could hear her husband having a seizure on a small dock that extended into a privately owned lake. So Patina ran down to the dock and made sure her husband wouldn't fall in and drown.

Ken Herrington had three brain surgeries 11 ½ years ago. He had gotten a foot infection, Patina said, and was susceptible to seizures.

"I knew I couldn't leave him," Patina Herrington said, "so I just started yelling for help."

Colt McCoy and his father, Brad, were on the other side of the lake.

"My wife is the one that first heard a noise, and she said, 'You guys need to come out here because somebody's in trouble,' " Brad McCoy said.

The two swam about 300 yards to the other side, and Colt even lost his shoes in the water. Neighbors called 9-1-1, but McCoy put on his father's shoes and raced up a steep, rocky incline to flag down emergency rescue crews.

Medical personnel administered IVs on the dock, and Ken Herrington spent the next week at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth. He returned home Sunday and was resting comfortably.

Patina Herrington is convinced that without Colt and Brad McCoy's help, things might have turned out differently. That's why she'll be rooting for McCoy, 19, this fall as UT searches for Vince Young's replacement.

"It was just a true hero story of how everybody came together and saved a life," Patina Herrington said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/060806dnspoutqblede.64c6c682.html

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 09:56 AM
McGruder's was better. ;)

Herr Scholz
6/8/2006, 09:58 AM
McGruder's was better. ;)
Yes, the burning car always does have more cache' doesn't it. ;)

XingTheRubicon
6/8/2006, 10:23 AM
So you're saying he swam across a pond and waved at an ambulance...

Flagstaffsooner
6/8/2006, 10:32 AM
So you're saying he swam across a pond and waved at an ambulance...and lost his shoes, phht.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2006, 10:36 AM
So you're saying he swam across a pond and waved at an ambulance...
It's a nice story. It would probably take me a while to swim 300 yards right now. And if they hadn't helped, perhaps the outcome would have been different. Anyway, he and his Dad helped save the man's life.

sooneron
6/8/2006, 10:45 AM
Colt in action...

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6315/floatiesarmbandslargecopy3jz.jpg

Good jorb, kid!

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/8/2006, 10:52 AM
300 yards is a long way to swim. Good for him. Can't fault McCoy for it not being more dramatic. He did what he should have done.

I'm glad it wasn't Vince in that situation. No way he would have jumped in with his shoes on. Wouldn't have been a problem anyway because he just can't seem to figure out the whole concept of clothing fastening devices. He would have lost half his baggy wardrobe slapping around in the shallow end before he decided it was too much trouble.

snp
6/8/2006, 10:54 AM
300 yards would kill me nowdays, just like everyone else here. But why didn't he take off his shoes prior to swimming? Seems kinda durrr to me.

But hey, waitta go Colt.

XingTheRubicon
6/8/2006, 11:49 AM
I'd bet 10K that it was less than 300 yards...

and it was good that he did what he did, some people wouldn't bother...just not newsworthy imo.

soonerhubs
6/8/2006, 11:59 AM
Good for Colt. When it comes down to it, life is precious and he should be honored for his valiant efforts.

He has my respect today.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2006, 12:03 PM
Heck, the horrible NFL agent Drew Rosenberg resuscitated a drowning kid last year. I didn't want to respect him for it but I do. ;)

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/8/2006, 12:13 PM
I'm glad it wasn't Vince in that situation. No way he would have jumped in with his shoes on. Wouldn't have been a problem anyway because he just can't seem to figure out the whole concept of clothing fastening devices. He would have lost half his baggy wardrobe slapping around in the shallow end before he decided it was too much trouble.

wrong. vince would have just walked on water to the other side. Hook 'em

Herr Scholz
6/8/2006, 12:18 PM
wrong. vince would have just walked on water to the other side.
Jeez, that was a hanging curveball. Can't believe I missed that one. Doh!

MiccoMacey
6/8/2006, 12:21 PM
300 yards is a long way to swim. Good for him. Can't fault McCoy for it not being more dramatic. He did what he should have done.

True. There's a ton of people who would have done nothing. I'm glad to hear about him in this manner.

Plus, seeing his "second-piece-of-skin-that-serves-as-his-pants" wet would cause me to lose my lunch for a year. :eek:

Dances with Possums
6/8/2006, 01:05 PM
Jevan Sneed would have made it to the other side faster.

SkipTracer
6/8/2006, 01:20 PM
I did something similar once. A man had been hit by a car and when the police came I pointed to the dead guy and they said "thanks Skip".

I read the paper the next day but my name wasn't in the article....sigh
Hook 'em

Crimson Kid
6/8/2006, 01:32 PM
Way to go colt, even though he's a shorthorn, that was very cool of him.

Blitzkrieg
6/8/2006, 01:33 PM
Blitz was at a summer rush party skinny dipping at 2:30 am with a chick trying to get her into a boat when a frat brother comes out of the house drunk, jumps in the water and doesn't come back up. The dude with him is freaking out, so Blitz dives under a huge floating boat dock, and by sheer luck, I swam right into the guy. I hauled him to the guy on the dock who did a firemans carry and drained the water out of him, and the druken guy instantly starts coughing and throwing up, but is obviously alive.

Hold your applause, becausee about 30 minutes later, I got the girl into the neighbors boat and yes, the night was a success. BTW boat carpet leaves a very, very nasty rug burn.

Top that Colt McCoy!

Herr Scholz
6/8/2006, 01:49 PM
Blitz was at a summer rush party skinny dipping at 2:30 am with a chick trying to get her into a boat when a frat brother comes out of the house drunk, jumps in the water and doesn't come back up. The dude with him is freaking out, so Blitz dives under a huge floating boat dock, and by sheer luck, I swam right into the guy. I hauled him to the guy on the dock who did a firemans carry and drained the water out of him, and the druken guy instantly starts coughing and throwing up, but is obviously alive.

Hold your applause, becausee about 30 minutes later, I got the girl into the neighbors boat and yes, the night was a success. BTW boat carpet leaves a very, very nasty rug burn.

Top that Colt McCoy!
That's a great night right there! :D

Old Sooner
6/8/2006, 02:13 PM
Why does Texas get QB's with funny names?

tnraider1
6/8/2006, 02:23 PM
It's a nice story. It would probably take me a while to swim 300 yards right now. And if they hadn't helped, perhaps the outcome would have been different. Anyway, he and his Dad helped save the man's life.

Too bad for him, he'll never throw for 300 yards. :D

dougsooner
6/8/2006, 02:27 PM
VY probably would have decided to help, but he would have tucked and run all the way around the lake to try and make the play, er.... help out....

n8v_ndn
6/8/2006, 02:28 PM
Way to go for that future Heisman winner and #1 Draft prospect...but I must say, Vince would have juked and sprinted across that water, placed his burnt orange skully onto the victim's head, and while cradling the infected foot--he'd cure the infection and heal the brain, all the while singing 'The Eyes of Texas are Upon You'.

;)

OKC-SLC
6/8/2006, 03:51 PM

Top that Colt McCoy!
nothing like a little witnessed heroism to seal the deal.

good jorb, blitz.

jccouger
6/8/2006, 06:56 PM
It probably wouldve taken less time if he wouldve just went around the lake. instead of trying to swim through it.

jccouger
6/8/2006, 06:57 PM
Why does Texas get QB's with funny names?

Heupel, Hybl, Halzle

We arent ones to talk.

goingoneight
6/8/2006, 08:00 PM
Colt in action...

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6315/floatiesarmbandslargecopy3jz.jpg

Good jorb, kid!

his floaties are on upside-down. Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

goingoneight
6/8/2006, 08:07 PM
It probably wouldve taken less time if he wouldve just went around the lake. instead of trying to swim through it.

That eliminates the possibility of drowning though. :D j/k... he'll flounder against OU, not in heroic action.

Blue
6/9/2006, 12:51 AM
Colt Brasky!

http://planetwill.jt.org/media/characters/art/braskey.jpg

AlbqSooner
6/9/2006, 06:33 AM
300 yards would kill me nowdays, just like everyone else here. But why didn't he take off his shoes prior to swimming? Seems kinda durrr to me.

But hey, waitta go Colt.
Way ta go indeed!

However, in all seriousness, as a former water safety instructor, the FIRST thing you should do when attempting a water rescue is strip off most of your clothes. If you have to swim a distance and attempt to help someone get most of the weight off BEFORE entering the water. Wet clothes and shoes can really impede your efforts.

MiccoMacey
6/9/2006, 11:24 AM
Way ta go indeed!

However, in all seriousness, as a former water safety instructor, the FIRST thing you should do when attempting a water rescue is...

Reach
Throw
Row
Go

I, too, am a former WSI and LGI. :D

OUstud
6/9/2006, 11:46 AM
UT QB McCoy leaves seizure victim in burning orphanage

Fixed. ;)

Seriously though, Colt is a hero.