PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chunk Tour is tanking...

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2006, 08:06 AM
Way to go OKC, Houston and other cities... (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyid=2006-06-07T230808Z_01_N07224908_RTRUKOC_0_US-DIXIE.xml&src=rss&rpc=22)

Despite those numbers, early ticket sales are clearly not meeting projections. The plug was pulled on public on-sales for shows in Indianapolis (August 23), Oklahoma City (September 26), Memphis (September 27) and Houston (September 30) because of tepid pre-sales in a national promotion with Target stores.

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 08:19 AM
chirp, chirp

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 08:20 AM
I guess people like to hear them sing but not beat their soup coolers.

LoyalFan
6/8/2006, 08:32 AM
Mebbe if Natalie the Fatassalie didn't look like a frog staring through a block of ice...just sayin.

Loyal F. Kadiddlehopper
Kuntry boy

bri
6/8/2006, 09:16 AM
Wow, this news is even more disturbing to the cause than it was when the FIRST thread about it was started yesterday.

Good thing we have the fallback plan of giving Christian movies PG ratings and continuing to make cheap, crappy indie films insulting the military...:D

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2006, 09:20 AM
What thread from yesterday? Nothing I saw had anything to do about their tour.

Plus, I was out sick yesterday...

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 09:21 AM
beat their soup coolers

:confused:

1stTimeCaller
6/8/2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69832&page=7

last post

n8v_ndn
6/8/2006, 09:30 AM
[raise pitchfork] That'll learn 'em to express independent thought and disagree with Dubya [/lower pitchfork] :twinkies:

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 09:32 AM
:confused:soup coolers = lips

bri
6/8/2006, 09:32 AM
Yes it will.

Except, of course, for the fact that it's not the ENTIRE tour that's having these problems...just the, shall we say, rustic venues. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2006, 09:36 AM
You mean the middle America venues, the fly-over country, the part of the country that doens't mean anything? We all know only the coasts are important? ;)

For a country/blue-grass group, when middle America rejects you, then you got real problems...

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2006, 09:37 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69832&page=7

last post

Thanks, I stopped reading my own thread as it turned into something rather than a discussion about the Chunks...

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 09:40 AM
Yes it will.

Except, of course, for the fact that it's not the ENTIRE tour that's having these problems...just the, shall we say, rustic venues. :D

But not all shows on this tour are below projections. "We're happy (with our on-sale) and comparatively seem to be ahead of most," says John Page, Global Spectrum COO/GM at Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, where the trio is booked for July 25. A second date was added for the Air Canada Center in Toronto, where the first show sold out in eight minutes. "Canada loves the Chicks," says ACC booking director Patti-Ann Tarlton.
After two shows in London, the North American tour was set to begin July 21 in Detroit. But with ticket sales below expectations, it is possible the route and capacities may be further reconfigured

I don't know how "rustic" Detroit or Indianapolis are...but hey...they prospered it Philly. A real hot-bed for entertainment :rolleyes:

Plus Canad loves 'em...so it aint all bad. :eddie:

Jeopardude
6/8/2006, 09:41 AM
Oklahoma City (September 26)

Slow sales for a Tuesday show coming in three and a half months? People really plan that far ahead? Jeez, I'm out of the mainstream.

/would never see Dixie Chicks
//especially at Ford Center where the sound is horrible.
///I said Chicks, not Chunks, because that would be rude.
////you're all hillbillies

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 09:43 AM
soup coolers = lips

A-ha! Thanks.

walkoffsooner
I think most agree they are loud mouth bitches.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
Thanks, I stopped reading my own thread as it turned into something rather than a discussion about the Chunks...Don't be so thin-skinned. Threadjacking is the chicken*hit way of dissent for some. You are making points, and the jackers don't like it.

C&CDean
6/8/2006, 09:46 AM
I avoid them like I avoid all the hollywood/star types who feel the need to give me their political opinion on something. And their music sucks. I think. Course I've never listened to them, but I ain't much on chick singers.

Veritas
6/8/2006, 09:48 AM
[raise pitchfork] That'll learn 'em to express independent thought and disagree with Dubya [/lower pitchfork] :twinkies:
I'm not so much hung up on that, it's just their whole Austi-tude I can't stand.

slickdawg
6/8/2006, 09:49 AM
I avoid them like I avoid all the hollywood/star types who feel the need to give me their political opinion on something. And their music sucks. I think. Course I've never listened to them, but I ain't much on chick singers.

Slickwife has a saying, "the pretty people in hollywood need to realize
that they become ugly when they open their mouths. We don't want to
hwar your ignorant assed opinions, just do your job"

handcrafted
6/8/2006, 10:01 AM
A second date was added for the Air Canada Center in Toronto, where the first show sold out in eight minutes. "Canada loves the Chicks," says ACC booking director Patti-Ann Tarlton

Canada can have them!!!!

Any chance we could get the entire UT football team shipped up to Toronto, too? :texan:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2006, 10:26 AM
The Toronto MapleWhorns. Has a nice ring to it.

Tear Down This Wall
6/8/2006, 11:21 AM
Gee, how shocking...people in the South and Midwest don't want to pony up money to people they disagree with politically. I'll bet they do well in Seattle, L.A., and the yankee states. Although, isn't it ironic that they still call themselves The Dixie Chicks, yet no one in Dixie wants to see them anymore? Time for a name change.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:28 AM
Dude, seriously....ponying up for a concert 3-4 months down the road is what the RIAA wants you to do....people shouldn't buy tickets until about 3 weeks before a show at most.

yermom
6/8/2006, 11:31 AM
Dude, seriously....ponying up for a concert 3-4 months down the road is what the RIAA wants you to do....people shouldn't buy tickets until about 3 weeks before a show at most.

i didn't know Scott was a scalper :P

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 11:33 AM
Dude, seriously....ponying up for a concert 3-4 months down the road is what the RIAA wants you to do....people shouldn't buy tickets until about 3 weeks before a show at most.Tell that to the folks buying tickets for Faith Hill/Tim McGraw, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith or any other big time concert...if you wait that long, you are either in the nose bleeds or your listening from the parking lot.

bri
6/8/2006, 11:39 AM
Tee hee...."big time concert".

Now I know who the Beach Boys keep touring for. :D

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:41 AM
Tell that to the folks buying tickets for Faith Hill/Tim McGraw, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith or any other big time concert...if you wait that long, you are either in the nose bleeds or your listening from the parking lot.

That my friend....is the problem that I was stating...the fact that people feel the NEED to purchase concert tickets that far in advance. But hey, if people want to throw their money away because the RIAA tells them to, not my place to get in the way.

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 11:42 AM
That my friend....is the problem that I was stating...the fact that people feel the NEED to purchase concert tickets that far in advance. But hey, if people want to throw their money away because the RIAA tells them to, not my place to get in the way.What other choice do people have?
TicketMaster and ticket agencies control it all.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:50 AM
What other choice do people have?
TicketMaster and ticket agencies control it all.

They have the choice of not going. I doubt it would take more than 6 months of people not going to concerts to force changes.

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 11:55 AM
What other choice do people have?

Support local music!

For $8 I got to see four acts that didn't suck. For $5 more I got a full-length CD that has more than two or three songs worth listening to, and the band shook my hand when I paid for it.

crawfish
6/8/2006, 11:58 AM
You know, if you buy a CD for support you don't have to listen to it. If you buy tickets, well, you're kindof obligated to go...

;)

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 12:02 PM
You know, if you buy a CD for support you don't have to listen to it. If you buy tickets, well, you're kindof obligated to go...

;)

:confused:

I wouldn't have bought the ticket or CD if I didn't like the music.

Viking Kitten
6/8/2006, 12:07 PM
Tell that to the folks buying tickets for Faith Hill/Tim McGraw, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith or any other big time concert...if you wait that long, you are either in the nose bleeds or your listening from the parking lot.

Wow. That'd be a great lineup for a music festival in my own personal hell.

;)

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 12:09 PM
Wow. That'd be a great lineup for a music festival in my own personal hell.

;)

Ok...ok...ok...let's try Celine Dion, Madonna, and Brittney Spears. ;)

proud gonzo
6/8/2006, 12:10 PM
Wow, this news is even more disturbing to the cause than it was when the FIRST thread about it was started yesterday.

Good thing we have the fallback plan of giving Christian movies PG ratings and continuing to make cheap, crappy indie films insulting the military...:D
And what is THAT supposed to mean, hmmm? :mad:

;)

yermom
6/8/2006, 12:12 PM
They have the choice of not going. I doubt it would take more than 6 months of people not going to concerts to force changes.

i think this is more driven by the consumers than anything else.

if people weren't willing to pay insane ticket prices, or even more insane prices to scalpers, then the prices wouldn't be so high

Viking Kitten
6/8/2006, 12:13 PM
Ok...ok...ok...let's try Celine Dion, Madonna, and Brittney Spears. ;)

Celine Dion is the Satan figure in my own personal hell. Britney and Madonna are more just like personal purgatory.

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 12:15 PM
i think this is more driven by the consumers than anything else.

if people weren't willing to pay insane ticket prices, or even more insane prices to scalpers, then the prices wouldn't be so highDidn't Pearl Jam do an entire tour and sold tickets WITHOUT Ticketmaster ?

yermom
6/8/2006, 12:16 PM
don't get me started on Pearl Jam :(

Scott D
6/8/2006, 12:18 PM
that's because Pearl Jam is smrt ;)

yermom
6/8/2006, 12:19 PM
smrt enough to not ever play around here :mad:

their lottery thing they were doing for a while was a little strange

Scott D
6/8/2006, 12:21 PM
you can't blame them for not playing places where the evil ticket monopoly has control of things.

yermom
6/8/2006, 12:22 PM
i don't think they are really doing their fans any favors

but i like the idea of it

Scott D
6/8/2006, 12:23 PM
well if their fans took more of a lead they wouldn't have to... ;)

bri
6/8/2006, 12:26 PM
And what is THAT supposed to mean, hmmm? :mad:

;)

It means that you continue to be our ultimate weapon in the ongoing war on decency. The Goodies stand NO CHANCE!!

Taxman71
6/8/2006, 12:29 PM
I will pay to see the Dixie Chicks when are playing backup to David Lee Roth. I heard "Jump" sounds awesome in bluegrass....

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2006, 12:58 PM
I may be the lone person on this but...

Am I the only one who doesn't get "charged up" to go see live concerts?

First, the sound is NEVER as good as studio versions of their music.
Then, you inevitably have to sit through some spare opening performer. Then, the performer you do want to see inevitably doesn't play/perform the songs you really, really like, if at all, until the end.
Then, you are thrown in with a bunch of drunken, over the top, unwashed hoi polloi.
That is after paying an arm and a leg for the right to be exposed to all that.
Finally, you go home at the end of the night reeking of cigarette or pot smoke, cheap beer and vomit.

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 01:07 PM

Nope.

Usually.

Then, you inevitably have to sit through some spare opening performer. Then, the performer you do want to see inevitably doesn't play/perform the songs you really, really like, if at all, until the end.

Frequently.

Then, you are thrown in with a bunch of drunken, over the top, unwashed hoi polloi.
Finally, you go home at the end of the night reeking of cigarette or pot smoke, cheap beer and vomit.

You don't go to a concert for the music, you go for the experience. I will say that Godsmack RMFO in concert. The studio version of a band I saw live two weeks ago doesn't do them justice, but the sound levels were all jacked for the other band I went to see so the musiciality of their recorded stuff was a lot better. Still, the energy and showmanship of their live show isn't something you get from listening to an MP3.

C&CDean
6/8/2006, 01:11 PM

I don't enjoy them much anymore either. I do like small venues like bars and clubs for live entertainment though. Check out the http://www.twofrogsgrill.com/ for a good place for listening to music.

walkoffsooner

Lady I agree with you.:)

Taxman71

Sounds like you are a 30-something trapped around the 20-somethings. A few years ago I decided not to get seats on the floor every again and only sit on the first few row of the side risers. It makes it more fun as I catch more of the act and less of the rowdiness. No more pushing, shoving, beer spilling, unable to see the stage, poor acoustics, etc.

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 01:13 PM
Sounds like you are a 30-something trapped around the 20-somethings.

Heh, good one!

:D

bri
6/8/2006, 01:14 PM
Nice catch. ;)

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds like you are a 30-something trapped around the 20-somethings.

Ha ha ha!

Lid is officially an old fugger.

walkoffsooner
6/8/2006, 01:17 PM
I'm 40 something group i still go for the party. If you want to sit back at concert and not party I think you are throwing your money away.But I don't want to regret not climbing that mountain when I hit 65.I already climbed it.

Mixer!
6/8/2006, 01:20 PM

So... you went to the aggy peel? :stunned: :eek: :eddie:

C&CDean
6/8/2006, 01:21 PM
I'm 40 something group i still go for the party. If you want to sit back at concert and not party I think you are throwing your money away.But I don't want to regret not climbing that mountain when I hit 65.I already climbed it.

In August I will be 1 year from 50. I've been front row at The Who, CSNY, Grand Funk, Foghat, KISS, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Allman Bros., CDB, and about a hundred other shows that I'm too lazy to think about.

I hate being on the floor anymore. I get real close to jack-slapping the punks around me (who are doing the same things I did in the day), so now I just don't go to the big venues - unless I'm sitting in a suite.

I love live music, I hate big/stupid crowds.

Pricetag
6/8/2006, 01:21 PM
Gee, how shocking...people in the South and Midwest don't want to pony up money to people they disagree with politically.
Yet another symptom of how ridiculous the political fanboyism has become in this country.

Does the music suddenly suck when you find out that the artists think differently than you?

What if the artist thinks differently than you, but never says so? Does the music suck, only you don't know it?

How unfair for the listener. All artists should be required to publish their political beliefs so listeners can be told what sucks and what doesn't.

walkoffsooner
6/8/2006, 01:23 PM
lexapro I love it

yermom
6/8/2006, 01:23 PM
Lid is what is wrong with the recording industry :D

yermom
6/8/2006, 01:25 PM
if i didn't want to deal with crowds i've never go to movies or football games either

it's all a part of the experience

C&CDean
6/8/2006, 01:27 PM
if i didn't want to deal with crowds i've never go to movies or football games either

it's all a part of the experience

That's why I like the smaller venues where you get a nice mature crowd.

Sporting events are totally different. And you like a crowded movie? I always wait until just before they're fixin' to pull a movie out of a theater to go see it. Me, and maybe 15 other people in the house.

bri
6/8/2006, 01:29 PM
And you like a crowded movie? I always wait until just before they're fixin' to pull a movie out of a theater to go see it. Me, and maybe 15 other people in the house.

Yeah, but that's just so you can have an old Korean woman give you a knobber during intermission in relative privacy.

yermom
those midnight showings when the theater is packed with a ton of other people like me that are there for the MOVIE is really cool

now when the place is full of kids (or adults) there to talk and be jackasses, that is another story

C&CDean
Yeah, but that's just so you can have an old Korean woman give you a knobber during intermission in relative privacy.

Well, yeah.

C&CDean
6/8/2006, 01:31 PM
those midnight showings when the theater is packed with a ton of other people like me that are there for the MOVIE is really cool

now when the place is full of kids (or adults) there to talk and be jackasses, that is another story

To each his own. I hate having people crawling over me to get out. I hate people munching their popcorn in my ear. I hate not sitting where I want. And most of all, I hate the *******s who carry their cell phones in.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2006, 01:31 PM
Yet another symptom of how ridiculous the political fanboyism has become in this country.

Does the music suddenly suck when you find out that the artists think differently than you?

What if the artist thinks differently than you, but never says so? Does the music suck, only you don't know it?

How unfair for the listener. All artists should be required to publish their political beliefs so listeners can be told what sucks and what doesn't.

Yes...

I've always said, if you are a performer, better keep your life and politics as separate as possible. I don't listen to you because of your beliefs, just as I doubt whether you take money from me or not because of mine. Keep it out of the act and your publicity and we'll be fine!!!

1stTimeCaller
6/8/2006, 01:33 PM
I go to hear the music and the words to the songs. Some of the artist I dig have some really good acoustic songs that they play when the band takes a break. I get angry when the yainches think that's their cue to start talking. If you wanted to catch up with old friends don't go to a music venue. I gladly paid $60 to go see Jack Ingram do a solo acoustic show to a crowd of 150 folks a month or so ago because I knew that the lady that put it on would make folks STFU. I love going to small venues like Adair's, Woody's tavern, Sons of Hermann Hall, Gruene Hall, the old Red Dirt Cafe, the Deli and places like that.

usmc-sooner
6/8/2006, 01:45 PM
I don't like DC's music or politics

that being said their are musicians I like who I don't politically agree with like Bruce Springsteen (even though its been a long time since Born in the USA-his last good album came out) Bon Jovi who I would go to his show and buy CD's (he campaigned for Kerry, but I still like him and his group.)

There just something about the sorry *** DC that I can't stand. I think it's there constant nagging, bitching and squabbling with everyone over everything. They don't like Bush, Toby Keith now they've recently started up something about Reba.

Like I said it's not the politics its their crappy music and their attitude.

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2006, 01:46 PM
Dean is pretty much spot on with his views in this thread.

Oh.. and..

I am most definitely NOT a geezer....

Bastadges!!!!

mdklatt
6/8/2006, 01:49 PM
I am most definitely NOT a geezer....

I didn't say geezer, I said old fugger. You, Dean, and Howzit are old fuggers. I think OUinFLA is officially a geezer, though. :D

walkoffsooner
6/8/2006, 01:52 PM
:D If your ranking your music to who likes Bush. You may have to whistle for entertainment the way its heading.

Taxman71
6/8/2006, 02:08 PM
Ilove going to small venues like Adair's, Woody's tavern, Sons of Hermann Hall, Gruene Hall, the old Red Dirt Cafe, the Deli and places like that.

Haven't been to the others, but the last time I was at the Deli it was miserable compared to 10 - 15 years ago. Young punks with their backs to the stage making alot of noise. I wanted to shred that $500 suit jacket the guy had on with his jeans and beanie cap.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 02:36 PM
In August I will be 1 year from 50. I've been front row at The Who, CSNY, Grand Funk, Foghat, KISS, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Allman Bros., CDB, and about a hundred other shows that I'm too lazy to think about.

I hate being on the floor anymore. I get real close to jack-slapping the punks around me (who are doing the same things I did in the day), so now I just don't go to the big venues - unless I'm sitting in a suite.

I love live music, I hate big/stupid crowds.

bingo....smaller venues are the win...the acoustics are usually better. The experience is just generally 'cooler'. Not to mention usually those venues don't start selling tickets until about a month before the concert. None of this 6 month in advance Ticketmaster bull**** that you get with the large venues.

Oh, and does anyone here seriously think that 1TC wouldn't give $60 to give Jack Ingram a knobber? :D

BajaOklahoma
6/8/2006, 02:36 PM
I think OUinFLA is officially a geezer, though. :D

You are gonna be so left out when he gets his money. HA!

Our little town has "Picnic in Park" every summer. It used to be in the park across the street and one every month. (Now it is in the other parks and they have had all three of them already)
The first couple of years we were here, the Dixie Chicks performed once every summer. They put on a great show, with fantanic costume changes (in a park!). They were enthusiastic, loud and got the audience involved. All of our friends would meet us there and it was great fun.

And if I want to let their personal views impact how I now view them and their music - that is my choice and my right.

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 02:53 PM

How unfair for the listener. All artists should be required to publish their political beliefs so listeners can be told what sucks and what doesn't. WRONG!!!!

There a plenty of musicians that I do not agree with morally, politically, or any other way. The difference is this: they don't around shooting off their mouths about it, wearing skanky no-class shirts on national t.v. (FUTK) and then getting their a$$es on 60 minutes not once but twice to try and justify what they believe...then they get on the cover of Time magazine and just KEEP ON BEATIN THEM GUMS.

They are entitled their opinions...and I am entitled to mine...they want to share thiers...so do I. THEY SUCK A$$ musically, politically, and just about anyother way you can think of.

They have chosen to take the high road with their new song "Not Ready to Make Nice" GOOD...I hope your principles feed your a$$es.

usmc-sooner
6/8/2006, 03:24 PM
WRONG!!!!

There a plenty of musicians that I do not agree with morally, politically, or any other way. The difference is this: they don't around shooting off their mouths about it, wearing skanky no-class shirts on national t.v. (FUTK) and then getting their a$$es on 60 minutes not once but twice to try and justify what they believe...then they get on the cover of Time magazine and just KEEP ON BEATIN THEM GUMS.

They are entitled their opinions...and I am entitled to mine...they want to share thiers...so do I. THEY SUCK A$$ musically, politically, and just about anyother way you can think of.

They have chosen to take the high road with their new song "Not Ready to Make Nice" GOOD...I hope your principles feed your a$$es.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CarolinaSoonerinFla again.

Sooner24
6/8/2006, 05:03 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CarolinaSoonerinFla again.

What he said.

bri
6/8/2006, 05:43 PM
GOOD...I hope your principles feed your a$$es.

I'm pretty sure the millions of album sales will probably sustain them. Even the fat one. :D

Scott D
6/8/2006, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the millions of album sales will probably sustain them. Even the fat one. :D

if not, she can always eat the other two....they might like it ;)

TUSooner
6/8/2006, 08:40 PM

Much to agree with there, but sometimes the arrogance of the political-opinion-spouting "artists" becomes a needless but real distraction. If I want banal, narrowminded politcal cant, I come to the SO! :D

Sooner in Tampa
6/9/2006, 05:30 AM
if not, she can always eat the other two....they might like it ;):eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
6/9/2006, 11:02 AM

What millions, I have read 500,000 or so...

Tear Down This Wall
6/9/2006, 03:01 PM

I just now read this because I have a job that prevented me from posting for about one full day. I found out when I was young that live music sucked. Yet, as a young punk, I went to probably 100 or so concerts. I just liked the different variety of womens.

I saw 'em all people - Big Country at the Bronco Bowl, Van Halen selling out three nights in a row at Reunion Arena for their last American show ever with David Lee Roth, Aerosmith, The Who, and the Rolling Stones at the Cotton Bowl, the old Texxas Jams, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Carlos Santana at those old Concerts in the Park during the summer just south of LBJ and west of I-75, the likes of Ted Nugent and the Charlie Daniels Band at FW's Will Rogers' Coloseum...tons and tons of shows...many, many bands. And, I never liked live better. I guess no matter how long and stupid-looking my youthful hair was, deep down I was never a soap-despising, marijuana-infested, America-hating hippie.

To all musicians, I say, get your butts in the studio and do something good. Assdraggers.

1stTimeCaller
6/9/2006, 03:05 PM
I thought that you 'owned a job'?

People that only like music on CDs and not live are the sole reason that Jennifer Lopez ever had a music career. Live is where it's at. That's what music really sounds like.

Pricetag
6/9/2006, 03:19 PM
Much to agree with there, but sometimes the arrogance of the political-opinion-spouting "artists" becomes a needless but real distraction. If I want banal, narrowminded politcal cant, I come to the SO! :D
You're right, of course. I was being intentionally needling with that post, and Carolina pwned me for it.

etouffee
6/9/2006, 03:19 PM
People that only like music on CDs and not live are the sole reason that Jennifer Lopez ever had a music career. Live is where it's at. That's what music really sounds like.
Indeed.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
6/9/2006, 03:25 PM

Amen! The best albums are live albums. Live music shows you who is real and who is the suck! That is why you carefully pick your live shows, but live is where it is at.

C&CDean
6/9/2006, 03:26 PM
Live music is absolutely the best.

Just not in 5K+ venues. And stadium concerts/festivals are the worst.

Tear Down This Wall
6/9/2006, 03:27 PM

Yes. It's what prevents me from having 15,000 posts.

1stTimeCaller
6/9/2006, 03:30 PM

see guys, I've been trying to tell you that Dean isn't a dumas and he knows what he's talking about.

etouffee
6/9/2006, 03:48 PM
And stadium concerts/festivals are the worst.definitely. you cant get good sound in a football stadium. that seems to be a bigger thing in europe than here. they've got this major idol worship thing going over there where they go totally nuts just to be in the vicinity of a famous person; they don't really care about the music quality or even being close enough to actually see the performers, they just want to say they were there.

Taxman71
6/9/2006, 04:04 PM
And stadium concerts/festivals are the worst.

Unless you can start drinking at 8:00 a.m. and keep rockin' until midnight under the blazing Texas sun, you are correct. However, every teenage boy should experience a monster's of rock type event at the cotton bowl or texas stadium just to stave off any idea of going to one of these in their older years.

Then again, it was strange at the George Jones concert a few months back when nobody ever stood up or got in a fight.

C&CDean
6/9/2006, 04:07 PM
Unless you can start drinking at 8:00 a.m. and keep rockin' until midnight under the blazing Texas sun, you are correct. However, every teenage boy should experience a monster's of rock type event at the cotton bowl or texas stadium just to stave off any idea of going to one of these in their older years.

Then again, it was strange at the George Jones concert a few months back when nobody ever stood up or got in a fight.

Heh. I remember a Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, and somebody else concert in a stadium in North Carolina. A bunch of Hell's Angels got all likkered up and started slinging bottles and chains at everybody up front. I remember seeing CSNY outdoors in Phoenix - where it was 112 degrees when the concert started.

Yeah, good times indeed.

Taxman71
6/9/2006, 04:11 PM
I went to the Steve Miller Band concert at the Zoo about 5 years in a row and had a great time every year....although I can't remember ever hearing one song.

I do remember that Billy Bob Thornton can not sing any better than Trini Triggs.

TUSooner
6/9/2006, 06:31 PM

1975: Rolling Stones + Cotton Bowl + 100 degree temps + numerous joints - necessary hydration = :eek: :eek: :eek:

lefty
6/9/2006, 06:36 PM
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I went to an event called "48 Hours in Atoka." Ended up sleeping in someones puke one night. It was great. Will never do such a thing again. Actually, I haven't for about 25 years.