PDA

View Full Version : Fireflies in a jar

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/7/2006, 09:21 PM
I have 2 right now. I'll report back more later.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/7/2006, 09:25 PM
C MON!
http://www.bluthfamily.com/dimages/pictures/gob-dazzles-the-crowd-with-his-unique-brand-of-magic_468x312.jpg

skycat
6/7/2006, 09:36 PM
If I hear that you didn't put a leaf in with them, I'm calling the SPCA.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/7/2006, 09:49 PM
I poked holes in the lid too.

I also caught 2 more and the 2 new ones are real chatter boxes.

Hamhock
6/7/2006, 09:51 PM
They are out here thicker than usual...they must be in the rut.

StoopTroup
6/7/2006, 10:02 PM
Glad your having fun Beano...

http://www.rain.org/~mkummel/stumpers/jarflies.jpg

Melo
6/7/2006, 10:13 PM
I remember when I was a REALLY little kid, my grandfather caught a firefly for me, ripped off the glowy part, and stuck it on my finger. I remember him saying, "Look! Now you have a ring!"

I mentioned it to him awhile back, maybe a year or so ago, and he was absolutley tickled to death that I even remembered that.

dolemitesooner
6/7/2006, 10:15 PM
I don't know who should me that ....but we would rip them off and wipe them on our shirt and our shirts would have glow lines for hours

BajaOklahoma
6/7/2006, 10:22 PM
I remember catching them as a kid. Not too many around here though.

TopDawg
6/7/2006, 10:48 PM
I caught one today too. I also noticed that we have a family of birdies in our geranium.

But still, where did the lighter fluid come from?!

hurricane'bone
6/7/2006, 10:54 PM
I remember when I was a REALLY little kid, my grandfather caught a firefly for me, ripped off the glowy part, and stuck it on my finger. I remember him saying, "Look! Now you have a ring!"

I mentioned it to him awhile back, maybe a year or so ago, and he was absolutley tickled to death that I even remembered that.

My grandpa would do the same thing to my grandma when we were around.

Jimminy Crimson
6/8/2006, 12:16 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050309/050309_firefly_phone_hmed.hmedium.jpg

noleamite
6/8/2006, 12:29 AM
Embarrased to say this..but I usta play fire fly tennis in my back yard when I was a kid. I did not grow up to be a serial killer or anything. :D

Okla-homey
6/8/2006, 05:11 AM
What's with the ""firefly" carp? True pedigreed native Sooners call 'em "lightnin' bugs";)

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 09:04 AM
I poked holes in the lid too.

I also caught 2 more and the 2 new ones are real chatter boxes.

Females no doubt. $10 says that one of them has the name Doris.

Howzit
6/8/2006, 09:29 AM
*** Flashback ***

1976, catching fireflies at the Duck Pond and putting them in a jar, partaking in illegal herbal activities, driving around in my VW bug with the windows up and opening the jar, listening to Wish You Were Here on the 8-track...

Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun
Shine on you crazy diamond

colleyvillesooner
6/8/2006, 09:36 AM
Never has there been a frog hopping toward me, and I thought 'man, I'd better play dead. Here comes that frog...' You never say here comes that frog in a nervous manner. It's always optimistic. Hey here comes that frog, al-right. Maybe he'll come near me so I can pet him, and stick him in a mayonnaise jar, with a stick and a leaf, to recreate what he's used to. And I'm pretty sure I'd have to punch some holes in the lid, because he's damn sure used to air. Then I can observe him, and he won't be doing much in his 16 ounce world."