PDA

View Full Version : In approximately 36 hours...

handcrafted
6/7/2006, 09:05 PM
:les: WATCH SOCCER BEYONCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The greatest sporting event man has ever invented begins Friday. Watch or be forever relegated to the trash heap of fandom, not to mention patriots.

World Cup Rule No. 1: rooting for the USA is on the same level of importance as Sooner Football in the Fall. There is no substitute.

birddog
6/7/2006, 09:35 PM
amen. i will not miss a single game. besides every game we play, i'm looking forward to the group games between holland-argentina and england-sweden the most. it's all i can think about these days.

GottaHavePride
6/7/2006, 09:36 PM
I don't usually follow soccer, but I've got nothing else to do, so I think I'll try to get into it. ;)

King Crimson
6/7/2006, 09:38 PM
the world cup is great. forget the haters and the old farts.

StoopTroup
6/7/2006, 09:40 PM
Soccer...

Never heard of it.

So it's worth watching?

BajaOklahoma
6/7/2006, 09:40 PM
Just be glad you will be watching on the tube - the crowds can be very scary.

birddog
6/7/2006, 09:43 PM
it's not for everyone. i hate baseball.i hate nascar. it doesn't bother me that people don't like it. but the world cup is really fun to watch if you just have a slight understanding of the game and the impact it has on EVERY single country in the world not named the United States.

StoopTroup
6/7/2006, 09:45 PM
Just be glad you will be watching on the tube - the crowds can be very scary.
HEH.
http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/hooligans.jpghttp://warriorlibrarian.com/PICS/PATRONS/crowd14.jpg

dolemitesooner
6/7/2006, 09:45 PM
I hate soccer ...But I love the world cup.....Go usa!!!!! Prove them wrong

Czar Soonerov
6/7/2006, 09:55 PM
http://funnypics.free.fr/explorer/public/img/t/thread-is-gay.jpg

StoopTroup
6/7/2006, 10:01 PM
http://rekounas.myserver.org/wp-content/referee.jpg

birddog
6/7/2006, 10:10 PM
yeah the fireflies in a jar thread is much more hetero, czar.

yermom
6/7/2006, 10:12 PM
it's not for everyone. i hate baseball.i hate nascar. it doesn't bother me that people don't like it. but the world cup is really fun to watch if you just have a slight understanding of the game and the impact it has on EVERY single country in the world not named the United States.

that's just because they don't have real football ;)

birddog
6/7/2006, 10:15 PM
i'm so confused, why don't they call soccer handball?

dolemitesooner
6/7/2006, 10:19 PM
cause its soccer ...DUH!!!

birddog
6/7/2006, 10:22 PM
i was referring to the real football comment. duh!

StoopTroup
6/7/2006, 10:24 PM
Soccer seems kinda cool...

http://www.world-cup-info.com/desktop_themes/wallpapers/soccer_girls/800x600_b_w.jpg

dolemitesooner
6/7/2006, 10:33 PM
CAN i PLAY PLEASE?

HoserSooner
6/7/2006, 10:54 PM
I've never been into it much, but after watching my daughters play for the past 4 years, I may just get into it.

(Besides....hockey season is almost over. :D)

BajaOklahoma
6/7/2006, 11:19 PM
i'm so confused, why don't they call soccer handball?

Soccer = football (footbul)
handballs are bad

American football = handball
that would be okay

I had kids playing for 17 years. I grew to like it. Some of our parents played in college. Who knew about then?

birddog
6/8/2006, 12:54 AM
Soccer = football (footbul)
handballs are bad

American football = handball
that would be okay

I had kids playing for 17 years. I grew to like it. Some of our parents played in college. Who knew about then?
it was a joke. american football=hands soccer=foot. i was just saying if they call a sport where you use your hands football, shouldn't we call a sport where we use our feet handball.:P

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2006, 01:19 AM
Remember the World Cup or whatever a few yrs. ago, the championship game between Brazil and France ended in a 0-0 tie. A winner was crowned when France was given a kick into Brazil's goal in some sort of overtime. Way sport, eh?

birddog
6/8/2006, 01:21 AM
you obviously don't know much about the game. just leave it be. everybody's got their own thing.

BajaOklahoma
6/8/2006, 03:03 AM
it was a joke. american football=hands soccer=foot. i was just saying if they call a sport where you use your hands football, shouldn't we call a sport where we use our feet handball.:P

Sorry, I forgot the :P :O
I got it. :D

Scott D
6/8/2006, 07:36 AM
Remember the World Cup or whatever a few yrs. ago, the championship game between Brazil and France ended in a 0-0 tie. A winner was crowned when France was given a kick into Brazil's goal in some sort of overtime. Way sport, eh?

yeah, not like any american sports have sudden death overtime eh?

handcrafted
6/8/2006, 09:42 AM

That was Brazil v. Italy in 1994 (in the USA) and yeah, it ended 0-0 and they went to a penalty kick shootout. Brazil won. However, there were a lot of goals scored in that tournament. Since then, some things have happened:

1. The tournament field was increased to 32 teams, letting in more teams from underrepresented parts of the world, that don't play the boring defensive style that a lot of European teams did back then.

2. Sudden death OT was added after regulation, before the PK shootout decides matches in the elimination rounds. I think now, though, the OT they will be using is not sudden death, it's sorta like basketball OT. 2 15 minute extra periods to decide a winner, then a shootout.

3. European teams play a more exciting style now, as with the additional teams in the competition, being defensive means getting beat. Most everyone in the world except Europe use an attacking formation, and so they have had to follow suit. The emphasis on the athletes has switched to speed and precision passing, instead of ball control and mad dribbling skillz. It's not quite the difference between Sampson ball and Billy ball, but you get the idea.

4. Other rule changes have been made to encourage scoring and discourage ball holding.

5. This time around there are a lot of teams in the tournament that qualified for the first time, are just happy to be there, and are going to play their asses off in every game, possibly catching seasoned teams off guard.

Give it a shot!

Czar Soonerov
6/8/2006, 10:00 AM
http://www.humorbug.com/fpics/f_humorbug_10dc0d8a48.jpg

sooneron
6/8/2006, 10:13 AM
There's a lot of people up here that are into it. Of course, they all have leaf blowers on their backs. ;)

handcrafted
6/8/2006, 10:19 AM
Czar appears to have some bizarre fixation. We have all these disturbing photos as evidence.

VK? Are you seeing what we're seeing?

Boarder
6/8/2006, 12:21 PM
I don't think I'll watch any. I have a lot of Everyday Italian episodes on TiVo to catch up to.

If you choose to watch and/or like it...bravo to you! Don't let anyone get you down by badmouthing.

SoonerInKCMO
6/8/2006, 12:47 PM
That was Brazil v. Italy in 1994 (in the USA) and yeah, it ended 0-0 and they went to a penalty kick shootout. Brazil won. However, there were a lot of goals scored in that tournament. Since then, some things have happened:

1. The tournament field was increased to 32 teams, letting in more teams from underrepresented parts of the world, that don't play the boring defensive style that a lot of European teams did back then.

2. Sudden death OT was added after regulation, before the PK shootout decides matches in the elimination rounds. I think now, though, the OT they will be using is not sudden death, it's sorta like basketball OT. 2 15 minute extra periods to decide a winner, then a shootout.

3. European teams play a more exciting style now, as with the additional teams in the competition, being defensive means getting beat. Most everyone in the world except Europe use an attacking formation, and so they have had to follow suit. The emphasis on the athletes has switched to speed and precision passing, instead of ball control and mad dribbling skillz. It's not quite the difference between Sampson ball and Billy ball, but you get the idea.

4. Other rule changes have been made to encourage scoring and discourage ball holding.

5. This time around there are a lot of teams in the tournament that qualified for the first time, are just happy to be there, and are going to play their asses off in every game, possibly catching seasoned teams off guard.

Give it a shot!

6. The new ball from Adidas is already drawing ire from goalkeepers that say it moves more in the air and is thus more difficult to track and catch.

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 12:49 PM
I don't think I'll watch any. I have a lot of Everyday Italian episodes on TiVo to catch up to.

I know why you watch that.

Boarder
6/8/2006, 12:59 PM
I know why you watch that.
Of course. It's because in Everyday Italian, chef Giada De Laurentiis shares updated versions of the homey recipes she grew up with in her Italian family. She'll show you easy dishes that are perfect for every occasion: a weeknight meal, entertaining a crowd or a cozy dinner for two.

SoonerInKCMO
6/8/2006, 01:00 PM
Of course. It's because in Everyday Italian, chef Giada De Laurentiis shares her cleavage.

Fixed!

MamaMia
6/8/2006, 01:17 PM
:les: WATCH SOCCER BEYONCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The greatest sporting event man has ever invented begins Friday. Watch or be forever relegated to the trash heap of fandom, not to mention patriots.

World Cup Rule No. 1: rooting for the USA is on the same level of importance as Sooner Football in the Fall. There is no substitute.Football rules; and by "football", I dont mean "futbol."

OU4LIFE
6/8/2006, 01:20 PM
The greatest sporting event man has ever invented begins Friday.

dead.

to.

me.

TUSooner
6/8/2006, 02:19 PM
Why is it that everytime soccer is mentioned, a few handfuls of people find it absolutely necessary to chime in with "I dont like it or understand it; it sucks"?
<shakes head>
That would be a like me posting in the basketball board: It's good only for its nuisance value.
buhhhhhh....
<shakes head again>

C&CDean
6/8/2006, 02:35 PM
Why is it that everytime soccer is mentioned, a few handfuls of people find it absolutely necessary to chime in with "I dont like it or understand it; it sucks"?
<shakes head>
That would be a like me posting in the basketball board: It's good only for its nuisance value.
buhhhhhh....
<shakes head again>

Uh, maybe because it's gay?:eddie:

In all seriousness, homey hates him some soccer. And I know the game pretty well - having 5 sons who've played it, one fairly competetively (Norman Celtic 90). It just doesn't do it for me. Grass growing. Paint drying. A hard-on going soft. All remind me of soccer.

I'm sure I'll watch the final if the USA gets in, but I won't be watching much/any of the prelims.

And whoever said "the greatest sporting even in the world" needs their rock examined. The little league world series, any major golf tournament, super bowl, world series, college world series, bowl games, and everything except the NBA pwns world cup soccer. I'd rather watch soccer than NBA hoops.

TUSooner
6/8/2006, 04:14 PM
I'm meeting a Polish guy to watch their game tomorrow afternoon. But he reports that the primary Polish contribution to this Cup will be only racism and hooliganism by the fans. It seems like only yesterday the Poles were the heroes of the downtrodden masses escaping the Soviet boot-in-the-crotch. Now they're a bunch of boozy thugs. Hail Liberty & Progress !

Boarder
6/8/2006, 05:04 PM
<shakes head>
buhhhhhh....
<shakes head again>
I like to make my main point this:

If you like it, don't worry about what anyone else says. Just watch it and be happy.

Even though it's stupid and boring.

Oh wait, did I say that? Forget I said that. Mybad.

:D

TUSooner
6/8/2006, 08:19 PM
I like to make my main point this:

If you like it, don't worry about what anyone else says. Just watch it and be happy.

Even though it's stupid and boring.

Oh wait, did I say that? Forget I said that. Mybad.

:D
Well, yeah. The other side of the coin is "If you don't like it, just don't watch and be happy... and quiet." :P plplplp!