PDA

View Full Version : Jason Grimsley

Rhino
6/7/2006, 04:08 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion about this. This could be huge.

The Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday released pitcher Jason Grimsley, one day after his home was searched by federal agents as part of an investigation into steroid use by athletes. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2474291)

Affadavit for Search Warrant (PDF) (http://www.azcentral.com/pdfs/060706grimsley.pdf)

He names names in the affadavit, but they're all blacked out.

Two weird past instances involving Grimsley:
-A plane hit his house last year, killing all five on board. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31825)

-When Albert Belle was caught using a corked bat, Grimsley was the one who crawled through the ceiling connecting the visitors' locker room and the umpires' room and switched the confiscated bat with a "clean" bat. (http://www.oobleck.com/orioles/archives/001878.html)

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2006, 05:10 PM
No way some of those names don't come out.

This could be real bad.

Scott D
6/7/2006, 05:18 PM
this will be very, very, amusing.

Won't it Luis Gonzales? :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/7/2006, 05:18 PM
Ian Kinsler was definetly one of them ;)

royalfan5
6/7/2006, 10:12 PM
This explains why the Royals were decent in 2003 with the players they had.

TopDawg
6/7/2006, 10:40 PM
When Albert Belle was caught using a corked bat, Grimsley was the one who crawled through the ceiling connecting the visitors' locker room and the umpires' room and switched the confiscated bat with a "clean" bat. (http://www.oobleck.com/orioles/archives/001878.html)

Commenting on that episode: "I went sky diving once, and I can compare it to that," Grimsley said at the time. "The adrenaline rush I got from that caper was just like jumping out of an airplane. It was being in a place you're not supposed to be."

Scott D
6/8/2006, 07:29 AM
Interesting...word now is that the Feds outed Grimsley because he refused to wear a wire to get Bonds to admit he was a roids user.

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 08:29 AM
Wasn't HGH legal? I mean, isn't that what McGwire admitted to using?

Or am I confused again?

colleyvillesooner
6/8/2006, 08:56 AM
Wasn't HGH legal? I mean, isn't that what McGwire admitted to using?

Or am I confused again?

HGH was legal, but it became illegal in the latest agreement. McGwire's was Andro.

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 09:07 AM
HGH was legal, but it became illegal in the latest agreement. McGwire's was Andro.
Then how can players get in trouble for using it if they did so before the latest agreement?

Is Andro a human growth hormone?

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 09:07 AM

So in essance, Mj was confused. :texan:

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 09:09 AM
Interesting...word now is that the Feds outed Grimsley because he refused to wear a wire to get Bonds to admit he was a roids user.

That's what I heard this morning. I would say something bad against the Feds but I am afraid that they might come after me. I will just let all of you draw your own conclusion about their tactics.

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:09 AM
Then how can players get in trouble for using it if they did so before the latest agreement?

Is Andro a human growth hormone?

Look Here Pat. (http://soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1377568&postcount=19)

Scott D
6/8/2006, 11:10 AM
That's what I heard this morning. I would say something bad against the Feds but I am afraid that they might come after me. I will just let all of you draw your own conclusion about their tactics.

I think the irony is that even if they had gotten Grimsley to wear a wire and gotten Bonds to admit to it, there's a good chance that wire would have been inadmissable evidence.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/8/2006, 11:41 AM
Barry Bonds Took Steroids, Reports Everyone Who Has Ever Watched Baseball

March 9, 2006

With the publication of a book detailing
steroid use by San Francisco Giants superstar Barry Bonds, two San Francisco
Chronicle reporters have corroborated the
claims of Bonds' steroid abuse made by every single person who has watched or even loosely followed the game of baseball over the past five years.

In Game Of Shadows, an
excerpt of which appeared in Sports Illustrated Wednesday, authors Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams
claim that more than a dozen people close to Bonds had either been directly
informed that Bonds was using banned substances or had in fact seen him taking
the drugs with their own eyes. In addition to those witnesses, nearly 250
million other individuals nationwide had instantly realized that Bonds was
using banned substances after observing his transformation from lanky speedster
to hulking behemoth with their own eyes.

According to hundreds of thousands of reports coming out of
every city in the U.S., Bonds' steroid use has been widely reported and
well-documented for years, with sports columnists, bloggers, people attending
baseball games, memorabilia collectors, major ballpark popcorn and peanut
vendors, groundskeepers, roommates, significant others, fathers-in-law,
next-door neighbors, fellow fitness club members, bartenders, mailmen,
coworkers, teachers, doormen, parking-lot attendants, fellow elevator
passengers, Home Depot clerks, servicemen and women serving in Iraq, former
baseball players, Congressmen, second-tier stand-up comics, <i>Sports
Illustrated's Rick Reilly, and random passersby all having stated
at some point in the last five years that Bonds was obviously taking some sort
of performance-enhancing drugs.

Many of those eyewitnesses came forward following
Wednesday's revelation with their own accounts of Bonds' seven-year history of
steroid use.

"I originally heard that Barry Bonds was on steroids during
a Giants game in 2001, when my buddy Phil, who was on the couch next to me,
said, 'Dude, that Barry Bonds guy is definitely on steroids,'" said Chicago
resident Mitch Oliveras. "After 10 seconds of careful observation, and
performing a brief comparison of Bonds' present neck width with that on Phil's
old 1986 Bonds rookie card, I was convinced."

"I can see how some people might be shocked about Bonds'
doping, but this has been an open secret for years among the people in my
industry," said air-conditioner repairman Mike Damus. "I'm sure it's an even
more widely known fact in baseball."

"Everyone in our front office has known about Bonds since
the 2001 season," said San Francisco-area accounts-receivable secretary Mindy
Harris of McCullers and Associates, Ltd. "People in our ninth-floor office,
too, and all seven branch offices. None of us were sure exactly which kind of steroids he was on, but we were pretty sure it
was the kind that causes you to gain 30 pounds of muscle in one offseason, get
injured more easily, become slow-footed, shave your head to conceal your
thinning hair, lash out at the media and fans, engage in violent and abrupt
mood swings, grow taut tree-trunk-like neck muscles, expand your hatband by six
inches, and hit 73 home runs in a single season."

"Come to think of it, we're all fairly certain he's on all
of them," Harris added.

"My 6-year-old son and I bonded over our mutual agreement
that Bonds was obviously juicing up," San Francisco-area construction worker
Tom Frankel said. "I hope that, one day, little Davey will have kids of his
own, and that they will be able to easily glean the knowledge that Bonds was a
cheater just by looking at the remarkable shift in his year-by-year statistics
on his Hall of Fame plaque."

In light of the most recent accusations, which echo what any idiot with a pair of eyes and even the most fundamental knowledge of how the human body works has said in recent years, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig issued a statement Wednesday to address the issue.

"It is unfair to judge Mr. Bonds based solely on the fact
that everyone says he has taken some sort of performance-enhancing drug for the
past five years," Selig said. "I myself think Bonds has been taking
steroids—I'm not blind, after all but nothing, even an admission by
Bonds himself, can conclusively prove that he took steroids, as he has not tested
positively in an MLB-sanctioned drug test. Unless that is somehow made to
happen, we must all accept his recent unfathomable accomplishments as one of
the truly exciting and continuing storylines of this great sport."

When reached for comment, Bonds insisted that he "[doesn't]
have time to deal with all these charges."

"I'm not going to respond to these 228 million allegations,"
Bonds said. "I don't care what every last person in the entire world thinks. As
long as my fans believe me, that's the most important thing."

mrowl
6/8/2006, 01:01 PM
I bet the names come out before the end of the weekend.

There have to be some players that are flipping out.

colleyvillesooner
6/8/2006, 01:20 PM
Dan Patrick said he knows 3 of the names. One you won't care about, but the other two are shocking.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/8/2006, 01:26 PM
Derek Jeter ;) and Roger Clemens ;) YWIA ;)

mrowl
6/8/2006, 01:33 PM
Derek Jeter ;) and Roger Clemens ;) YWIA ;)

Roger did miss a whole lot of games this season... ;)

colleyvillesooner
6/8/2006, 01:34 PM
Jeter or A-rod. I would have to call in to work cause I was laughing so hard.

mrowl
6/8/2006, 01:42 PM
Dan Patrick said he knows 3 of the names. One you won't care about, but the other two are shocking.

if he did REALLY know the names, he would be on ESPN immediately saying who they are... I call bs.

GDC
6/8/2006, 02:44 PM
Let 'em take/inject whatever they want, they're professional athletes and grown men.

mrowl
6/8/2006, 02:52 PM
Let 'em take/inject whatever they want, they're professional athletes and grown men.

so you are confirming that arod and jeter are on the list? ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/8/2006, 02:54 PM
Randy Johnson...he has started to suck since the testing started ;)

GDC
6/8/2006, 02:55 PM
so you are confirming that arod and jeter are on the list? ;)

I seriously doubt it, especially Jeter.

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 03:19 PM
Who are the feds after anyway? I sure hope the feds are not trying to get individual players. I don't need the FBI or anyother agency spending time trying to enforce MLB's anti-steroid policy. I wonder if they suspect Grimsley of dealing? If so, that is a different matter. Baseball has done a crappy job, in my opinion, of self enforcement as far as drugs go. But that doesn't mean we need law enforcement going in to clean it up.

GDC
6/8/2006, 03:22 PM
Who are the feds after anyway? I sure hope the feds are not trying to get individual players. I don't need the FBI or anyother agency spending time trying to enforce MLB's anti-steroid policy. I wonder if they suspect Grimsley of dealing? If so, that is a different matter. Baseball has done a crappy job, in my opinion, of self enforcement as far as drugs go. But that doesn't mean we need law enforcement going in to clean it up.

That was my point, I think they're going way overboard with this whole thing. Forget pot and steroids and start focusing on executing the meth, heroin, and cocaine dealers.

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 03:23 PM
I bet the names come out before the end of the weekend.

There have to be some players that are flipping out.

Perhaps. But then again, innocent until proven guilty and just because someone says you took them, ahem calling Mr. Canseco, doesn't mean that you are going to admit that you took them or even be convicted in the court of popular opinion.

To me, a positive test is what needs to happen before I agree that someone is guilty. And, to my post above, do we need the feds enforcing steroid policy? I am not at all for steroid use, but remember, a lot of those "banned substances" are things that any one of us can get legally from the local GNC.

colleyvillesooner
6/8/2006, 03:27 PM
Perhaps. But then again, innocent until proven guilty and just because someone says you took them, ahem calling Mr. Canseco, doesn't mean that you are going to admit that you took them or even be convicted in the court of popular opinion.

To me, a positive test is what needs to happen before I agree that someone is guilty. And, to my post above, do we need the feds enforcing steroid policy? I am not at all for steroid use, but remember, a lot of those "banned substances" are things that any one of us can get legally from the local GNC.

Bonds never tested positive. Do you believe that he used steroids?

mrowl
6/8/2006, 03:39 PM

this is different, they have them on tape, and other evidence.

And this is more about dealing, and using illegal HGH in the MLB, less about steriods.

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 03:55 PM
Bonds never tested positive. Do you believe that he used steroids?

You are asking two different things there. From a MLB standpoint, he has never tested positive so all of his records should remain astrick free. I am not a fan of his either. In fact, I pretty much dislike the guy a lot. But, that is very different from being caught "cheating".

As far as do I THINK that he used them? Yes. I do think he used them. But what does my opinion matter? I mean, if my opinion mattered, the Hall of Fame for many of the sports would have different members in them and certain guys would not have nearly the publicity that they get. Should the Cowboys give back a Superbowl win or two because Michael Irvin was caught with drugs? He never tested positive for them, but IN MY OPINION he was doing them.

BeetDigger
6/8/2006, 03:59 PM
this is different, they have them on tape, and other evidence.

And this is more about dealing, and using illegal HGH in the MLB, less about steriods.

If this is about dealing, then as I said, that is a different matter. The fact that it could be HGH or any other illegal performance enhancing drug doesn't matter to me. If a guy is using it, then let MLB test him. I mean, Michael Irvin has been caught with drugs many times but the Feds never set up some big investigation to try to nab him. He never tested positive for it during the year and no one went in to try to do the NFL's job of drug enforcement.

And just as a point of reference, HGH is actually a legally prescribed drug. There are many people who take it. I don't remember what they prescribe it for, but I have seen it at a mail order pharmacy that we were selling. That was the only drug that they kept locked up because it had street value. Everything else, including the Aids cocktails that cost thousands of dollars, were in unlocked coolers.