PDA

View Full Version : Golf Thread

Mjcpr
6/7/2006, 09:17 AM
So I made my first shot "on the fly" this weekend at Jimmie Austin. It's the hole that says it's rated in the top 10 golf holes of Oklahoma or something. Par 5 on the back 9......the one with the huge tree in front of the green.

I'm in the fairway in 3 hitting my approach. Since it's an iron, I promptly shank it way left up on the hill near the fence. Now I'm chipping way downhill, probably 40 yards or so. I chip it, it goes high, comes down and disappears so I'm thinking WAY LONG!! But then it dawns on me I heard it hit cup. Shockingly, it didn't fly out and into the woods.....it stayed in the hole. I've chipped in before a few times but never on the fly like that. It was cool.

All that for a par 5. :D

walkoffsooner
6/7/2006, 09:33 AM
Congrats. Its never happened to me in 1000's of chances.

Mjcpr
6/7/2006, 09:38 AM
Me neither until Saturday and I chip on 99% of the holes I play. :O

sooneron
6/7/2006, 09:39 AM
I used to average one chip in on every round. Never on the fly tho, (I guess I just hit them too well! ;) ) that's cool.
Like the saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky than good"

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 09:49 AM
I had my first double eagle last week, I know that doesn't compare....but I thought I'd share.

Mjcpr
6/7/2006, 10:08 AM
I had my first double eagle last week, I know that doesn't compare....but I thought I'd share.

Sure you did, Harry.

Partial Qualifier
6/7/2006, 10:11 AM
So I made my first shot "on the fly" this weekend at Jimmie Austin. It's the hole that says it's rated in the top 10 golf holes of Oklahoma or something. Par 5 on the back 9......the one with the huge tree in front of the green.

I'm in the fairway in 3 hitting my approach. Since it's an iron, I promptly shank it way left up on the hill near the fence. Now I'm chipping way downhill, probably 40 yards or so. I chip it, it goes high, comes down and disappears so I'm thinking WAY LONG!! But then it dawns on me I heard it hit cup. Shockingly, it didn't fly out and into the woods.....it stayed in the hole. I've chipped in before a few times but never on the fly like that. It was cool.

All that for a par 5. :D

The one where they have the permanent fans installed around the green? Long, sloping dogleg right?

1stTimeCaller
6/7/2006, 10:11 AM
from that pic of you and Hairy golfing it seems that you've had your eye on a fly for some time now.

Partial Qualifier
6/7/2006, 10:12 AM

:D

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 10:15 AM
Sure you did, Harry.

True story. #3 at CT. Nice drive, left me 138 on a par 5, holed the wedge. But it wasn't on the fly....so it's not as good as yours.

You are awesome, now get back to checking out my crotch, squeek.

achiro
6/7/2006, 10:25 AM
I'm playing golf for the first time in a couple of years on Sunday. My family reunion is this weekend and a bunch of us are going to play Peoria Ridge in Miami. Its suppose to be a pretty nice course.
I doubt I'll have a fly in or a double eagle but maybe I can run an in-law over with the cart.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 10:31 AM
and then give them a treatment!

win-win.

Mjcpr
6/7/2006, 11:07 AM
The one where they have the permanent fans installed around the green? Long, sloping dogleg right?

Yes, that's the one.

Mjcpr
6/7/2006, 11:08 AM
True story. #3 at CT. Nice drive, left me 138 on a par 5, holed the wedge. But it wasn't on the fly....so it's not as good as yours.

I've never played from the ladies tees.

sooneron
6/7/2006, 11:11 AM
Yes, that's the one.
I birdied that hole...

once

picasso
6/7/2006, 11:13 AM

shortest par 5 in 4 counties.;)

I get to play tomorrow. first time in 3 weeks. I haven't played well all spring, hooking it badly. I believe I'm gripping too hard with the right hand.

1stTimeCaller
6/7/2006, 11:14 AM

I get to play tomorrow. first time in 3 weeks. I haven't played well all spring, hooking it badly. I believe I'm gripping too hard with the right hand.

can you switch hands and gain a stroke?

achiro
6/7/2006, 11:17 AM
can you switch hands and gain a stroke?
If I switch hands I gain a bunch of strokes, usually end up having to switch back to finally play through.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 11:24 AM
I've never played from the ladies tees.

sure, squeek...sure.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 11:26 AM

5 counties. 538 from the tips, but that measures the dogleg, which with a helping wind, you can carry and beat it down around one hundy.

and by "you" I mean "not Pat".

Newbomb Turk
6/7/2006, 11:27 AM
I believe I'm gripping too hard with the right hand.

wax on, right hand.
wax off, left hand.

picasso
6/7/2006, 04:32 PM
5 counties. 538 from the tips, but that measures the dogleg, which with a helping wind, you can carry and beat it down around one hundy.

and by "you" I mean "not Pat".
yeah, I hit a wedge over the green last time.

my game is an enigma right now. kinda like sex. I'm gonna score but some days are better than others.

King Crimson
6/7/2006, 04:41 PM
Yes, that's the one.

that would be #14.

the second in a stretch of holes 13-17 that play nearly exactly as the original Perry Maxwell design....though the new green on 14 is about 20 yards west southwest of the original....and smaller.

OU4LIFE
6/8/2006, 07:18 AM
yeah, I hit a wedge over the green last time.

my game is an enigma right now. kinda like sex. I'm gonna score but some days are better than others.

have you tried playing the men's tees?

sooneron
6/8/2006, 09:15 AM

Are you a righty or a lefty? When my shots are going left , it's my left hand that is the culprit.

OU4LIFE
6/8/2006, 10:40 AM
he sucks the same with either hand. ;)

picasso
6/8/2006, 10:13 PM
have you tried playing the men's tees?
at your club? what's the difference in 10 yards?

I hit it pretty well today. I think it's because I haven't lifted weights in a week.
I also lightened the right hand grip and it did help. went through a rough bogey stretch but birded 3 out of the 4 par 5's.

GottaHavePride
6/8/2006, 11:58 PM
I played a round at Silverthorn with PrideTrombone and a couple of other guys. My round was an estimated 115. And by "estimated" I mean:

*tink* CRASH!

Hey! Look! My ball landed right in the middle of the fairway!

*drop*

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 07:07 AM
at your club? what's the difference in 10 yards?

I hit it pretty well today. I think it's because I haven't lifted weights in a week.
I also lightened the right hand grip and it did help. went through a rough bogey stretch but birded 3 out of the 4 par 5's.

*ahem*

the difference in the tees YOU play at my course and the tees I play is exactly 936 yards, biznacho. ANYONE can play a 6100 yard course...step on back and play a 7,000 yarder holmes.

picasso
6/9/2006, 08:34 AM
*ahem*

the difference in the tees YOU play at my course and the tees I play is exactly 936 yards, biznacho. ANYONE can play a 6100 yard course...step on back and play a 7,000 yarder holmes.
I have at your trail club, shorty.

I've even played the ball down before.:D

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 08:57 AM
when you were FOUR maybe. But now, at your advanced age, you play kick 'em, roll 'em and gimme's inside of 5 feet.

You had potential once.

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 08:58 AM
oh, and btw, I now officially have the lowest HC at my course. 1.6

and MAN does that suck.

Mjcpr
6/9/2006, 09:02 AM
It's so easy to hate you.

BeetDigger
6/9/2006, 09:07 AM
Are you a righty or a lefty? When my shots are going left , it's my left hand that is the culprit.

Sincerely,

Ron Jeremy

:eek:

picasso
6/9/2006, 09:07 AM
oh, and btw, I now officially have the lowest HC at my course. 1.6

and MAN does that suck.
how is that possible when you're not the best player there?

and I actually played real golf in a tourney at Cushing last summer. the one me and my partner won.:D

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 09:31 AM
Cushing Country Club: Blue(back tees) Par:70 Yardage:6292 Rating:71.2

tough one there. *cough* bullshiat *cough*

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 09:31 AM
It's so easy to hate you.

I think envy is a sin, squeek.

picasso
6/9/2006, 09:35 AM
Cushing Country Club: Blue(back tees) Par:70 Yardage:6292 Rating:71.2

tough one there. *cough* bullshiat *cough*
that's a very good point but you ain't exactly playing at Beth Page Black yourself.:twinkies:

the longest course I've played from the tips was the Blue Course at Shangri-la.

I'd definitely be 6 or so strokes higher on the average playing back all the time.
But my driver was on yesterday. it's rare anymore.

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2006, 09:49 AM
Is the ****ing contest over in here yet? ;)

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 09:51 AM
almost finished.....*shaking*

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 09:52 AM
t my driver was on yesterday. it's rare anymore.

that makes a nice birfday present for you.

SoonerObsession
6/9/2006, 11:09 PM
I finally played for the first time since July of last year. I was very worried that I was going to totally stink it up. I played better than I've played in two years. My biggest downfall was putting. It always has been. I shot a 73 which I'm pleased with, but I could have shot a 70 if I had only made a few 6 footers. I use a Wilson 8802 putter that I always seem to go back to when I try other putters. Do any of you fellas use a Scotty Cameron putter? They are so expensive, but I see a ton of the pros using them. Are they worth the money?

OU4LIFE
6/12/2006, 07:19 AM
I have a 4 year old Mil Spec Cameron that's been in the bag for the last year and a half after jumping around to several different brands. I finally figured it was me, and that I might as well stick with the Cameron. I have good and bad days, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that if I took that long off from playing I wouldn't go out and put up a smooth 73.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 08:53 AM
I have a 4 year old Mil Spec Cameron that's been in the bag for the last year and a half after jumping around to several different brands. I finally figured it was me, and that I might as well stick with the Cameron. I have good and bad days, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that if I took that long off from playing I wouldn't go out and put up a smooth 73.

He allowed himself two mulligans per hole so, you know, that helped a lot.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 08:58 AM
I have a 4 year old Mil Spec Cameron that's been in the bag for the last year...

brings back memories of the old OU4LIFE/Thunder arguments about brands of clubs. :D

IB4OU2
6/12/2006, 09:01 AM
My Scotty Cameron Futura works well for me. A buddy sold it to me cheap. ;)

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 09:07 AM
Anyone see the final round of the women's major yesterday? I was hoping Michelle Wie would win it but she tanked 3 short irons into bogeys which probably cost her the tourney. She'll win soon though.

Newbomb Turk
6/12/2006, 09:24 AM
I was hoping Michelle Wie would lose...

me too.

picasso
6/12/2006, 09:26 AM
me too.
me three. especially after her b game comment.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 09:27 AM
me three. especially after her b game comment.

Was it offensive to you when Tiger said it or do you not like him either?

picasso
6/12/2006, 09:34 AM
Was it offensive to you when Tiger said it or do you not like him either?
I knew you were coming with that one. and not as much for this simple reason. Tiger's comment was true.
Wie on the other hand, probably thinks b is better than a.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2006, 09:36 AM
Maybe she should have spent more time practicing for the tournament, instead of getting her *** kicked by dudes. ;)

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 09:44 AM
I knew you were coming with that one. and not as much for this simple reason. Tiger's comment was true.
Wie on the other hand, probably thinks b is better than a.

So that was the best golf she can play? I think she was saying what Tiger said, that she just didn't play as well as she's capable of playing.....I think they were probably both correct.

Mjcpr
6/12/2006, 09:45 AM
Maybe she should have spent more time practicing for the tournament, instead of getting her *** kicked by dudes. ;)

I didn't really follow her progress in that qualifier but I was under the impression she came relatively close to qualifying. Maybe not. :confused:

picasso
6/12/2006, 09:47 AM
I didn't really follow her progress in that qualifier but I was under the impression she came relatively close to qualifying. Maybe not. :confused:
she was close but her plan of action is to be questioned.
she should try and win a few on her side against her own peers before taking on the large hairy men. then again, she's probably taller than the average pga player.

again, I think she would have trouble golfing without a caddy and a compass.

SoonerObsession
6/13/2006, 12:27 AM

It was on a very easy golf course up in the panhandle. The fairways are so dry up there (it almost looked dormant) that the ball goes forever. The first hole is a 430 yard par 4 and I hit a drive that would have been about 300 yards. With the extra roll I was 90 yards from the green. The greens are mostly flat and pretty slow. If I had played the same way on most golf courses I probably would have shot around a 78. As long as I shoot in the 70's I'm pretty happy, especally after such a long lay off. The thing is, even though I know 70's is a good score, I'm sick of 2 putting for par when I have makeable birdie's from 6-10 feet. I should be able to make at least 4 out of 10 of those, but I probably make 1/10.
Today I went to Golf Galaxy and checked out some putters. I spent an hour on the putting floor trying different brands. I ended up with a pre-owned Odyssey Dual Force blade putter. I don't know why, but it blew away everything else I tried. I didn't want to buy it because it was used, and I had the money to get what ever I wanted. But I couldn't deny that it felt better than every thing else, including the newer Odyssey blades and Scotty Camerons. I have not used it on the course yet, but I feel very confident that it's going to help some. We will see hopefully this week sometime.

OU4LIFE
6/13/2006, 07:11 AM
It was on a very easy golf course up in the panhandle. The fairways are so dry up there (it almost looked dormant) that the ball goes forever. The first hole is a 430 yard par 4 and I hit a drive that would have been about 300 yards. With the extra roll I was 90 yards from the green. The greens are mostly flat and pretty slow. If I had played the same way on most golf courses I probably would have shot around a 78. As long as I shoot in the 70's I'm pretty happy, especally after such a long lay off. The thing is, even though I know 70's is a good score, I'm sick of 2 putting for par when I have makeable birdie's from 6-10 feet. I should be able to make at least 4 out of 10 of those, but I probably make 1/10.
Today I went to Golf Galaxy and checked out some putters. I spent an hour on the putting floor trying different brands. I ended up with a pre-owned Odyssey Dual Force blade putter. I don't know why, but it blew away everything else I tried. I didn't want to buy it because it was used, and I had the money to get what ever I wanted. But I couldn't deny that it felt better than every thing else, including the newer Odyssey blades and Scotty Camerons. I have not used it on the course yet, but I feel very confident that it's going to help some. We will see hopefully this week sometime.

cool man, keep me updated. I hope it works for you.

Mjcpr
6/13/2006, 09:08 AM
cool man, keep me updated. I hope it works for you.

Do you want me to keep you updated on my progress too, Harry?

OU4LIFE
6/13/2006, 09:15 AM
You have progress? Good for you, Squeek.

FYI, I'm playing Friday, cruising along playing pretty well for me so far this year....i'm -1 through 15. I saved par on 15 after hooking my tee shot, so on 16 I try to make a correction, well it's an over correction and with a south wind I proceed to crank it OB, and make a very frustrated 7. par in to shoot 73. Best round this year so far.....but could have been a nice round under par.

I'm just hitting it all over the place right now. Very inconsistent. Followed up my 73 with a smooth 80 on Saturday that felt like a 109.

This game confuses and frightens me. Thank goodness i'm putting well. I haven't had a 3 putt in 4 rounds in a row now. I'm sure as soon as the rest of my game comes around I will be 4 putting however.

SoonerObsession
6/13/2006, 09:53 AM
It does seem that every time I get one area of my game worked out, another part of it falls apart. It's really frustrating when you hit your long irons more accurately than your short irons. I tend to pull my short irons when I'm not playing well.

OU4LIFE
6/13/2006, 10:04 AM
Squeek pulls his short iron too.

HI-YO

IB4OU2
6/13/2006, 10:19 AM
I haven't played in 3 weeks due to a back procedure and last week a Business trip. Now I'm preparing for an audit next week and I just learned I'm travelling to TobyHanna, PA the week after the 4th. Why'd I pay for a membership this year....again? :(

OU4LIFE
6/13/2006, 10:56 AM
dude, that sucks.

well, just think of all that wear and tear on your back that you are saving.

IB4OU2
6/13/2006, 11:16 AM
dude, that sucks.

well, just think of all that wear and tear on your back that you are saving.

The problem is though the travelling screws with my back alot more than a few rounds of golf. Oh well at least there's Poker night. BTW, nice round buddy, looks like you're finding your game.