PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'll admit I haven't watched Star Wars 3 but once

Boarder
6/6/2006, 11:14 PM
I went to the movies and saw it. I thought it was bad. Kevin "the Movie Killer" Costner bad. Horrid. I haven't seen it again.

Until now. It's on HBO Family West or something. So I tuned in.

Holy Mackerel. Dialogue. Wow.

Wow.

:eddie:

Boarder
6/6/2006, 11:15 PM
HOW COULD ANYONE LIKE THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!

jacru
6/6/2006, 11:18 PM
different strokes...

proud gonzo
6/6/2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=revengeofthesith

Boarder
6/6/2006, 11:19 PM
I changed it to Donnie Darko on TMCw. It's hard to watch anything with that KD Lang dude in it though.

proud gonzo
6/6/2006, 11:20 PM
EWAN MCGREGOR: "It's over, Hayden. I've got the high ground, just like Darth Maul did in Episode 1 right before I killed him successfully. Ignoring that, if you jump over to me, I will cut your **** off.

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN: "You underestimate my power to decide not to jump to the low ground in front of you where I will be able to safely continue duelling, but to instead try to jump all the way over you and get my **** cut off!"

Boarder
6/6/2006, 11:23 PM
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=revengeofthesith
Awesome!

Boarder
6/6/2006, 11:24 PM
I changed it to American History X. This is an awesome movie. A bit potty mouthed, but oustanding nonetheless.

proud gonzo
6/6/2006, 11:28 PM
CHEWBACCA: Nyaaarrrgghh.

yermom
6/6/2006, 11:30 PM
American History X is a good movie...

i think i saw ROTS twice, once in the theater and once on a pirated DVD later that week or so

bri
6/6/2006, 11:37 PM
Just flip back over when the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel starts...:D

skycat
6/6/2006, 11:42 PM
Of course you don't like it. You were telling people months before it came out how horrible it was going to be.

Personally I dig it. A lot. Sure it's got problems, I'm not going to tell you that there aren't a few groaner lines, or whatever. But there are long stretches where it gives me exactly what I want from a movie.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

yermom
6/6/2006, 11:43 PM
it's the best of the new set of movies

but it still can't hold the Holy Trilogy's jock

skycat
6/6/2006, 11:44 PM
I like it quite a bit better than RotJ.

yermom
6/6/2006, 11:45 PM
all Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets

skycat
6/6/2006, 11:46 PM
Heh

Boarder
6/7/2006, 12:08 AM
Of course you don't like it. You were telling people months before it came out how horrible it was going to be.

Personally I dig it. A lot. Sure it's got problems, I'm not going to tell you that there aren't a few groaner lines, or whatever. But there are long stretches where it gives me exactly what I want from a movie.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.
I may have said that before it came out, but I wanted it to be good. I went opening day to see it. (not midnight in my Jedi suit or anything)

I would like nothing better than to have it be good.

If it didn't have "Star Wars" in the title it would have as many views as "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone".

Boarder
6/7/2006, 12:10 AM
It'd be awfully hard to do a good coverup on a giant Swastika on your chest.

skycat
6/7/2006, 12:10 AM
If it didn't have "Star Wars" in the title it would have as many views as "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone".

I'll stick this on my Netflix queue.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 12:34 AM
Just flip back over when the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel starts...:D

Ugh. I did. :(

I will admit I did like when he got his legs cut off and then got a nice computer red glow around his eyes then caught fire. Then of course we go to the "she died of a broken heart" thing. Oh, look, my awesome new babies. Oh well...I'll go ahead and die.

Okla-homey
6/7/2006, 05:27 AM
Ugh. I did. :(

I will admit I did like when he got his legs cut off and then got a nice computer red glow around his eyes then caught fire. Then of course we go to the "she died of a broken heart" thing. Oh, look, my awesome new babies. Oh well...I'll go ahead and die.

I agree. That "young and new mom who dies of a broken heart when lover is killed" is pretty lame. Seriously. If such a thing were common or even a once-in-a-while occurrence at all, it would be newsworthy given the war in Iraq has widowed several hundred young American new moms.

Pricetag
6/7/2006, 08:55 AM
EWAN MCGREGOR: "It's over, Hayden. I've got the high ground, just like Darth Maul did in Episode 1 right before I killed him successfully. Ignoring that, if you jump over to me, I will cut your **** off.

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN: "You underestimate my power to decide not to jump to the low ground in front of you where I will be able to safely continue duelling, but to instead try to jump all the way over you and get my **** cut off!"
I have to follow up with my favorite line:

EWAN MCGREGOR
I'm leaving, Hayden! Even though
you are writhing in agony, I won't
do the humane thing and put you out
of your misery. You're the dick,
though.

Pricetag
6/7/2006, 08:57 AM
Speaking of the whole "dying of a broken heart" thing, I loved how that line was delivered by a droid. How the heck would it know? That was the icing on the cake of absurdity.

handcrafted
6/7/2006, 09:02 AM
The way it was shot, I think Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead. I don't think he knew he was only mostly dead. 'swhy he left.

The death scene with Padme was done cheesily, and it's very cringeworthy. But that's one of the few things I didn't like about the movie. Mostly it was pretty well done. I put it at number 3 in the series behind Episodes 4 and 5.

Jeopardude
6/7/2006, 09:20 AM
I love how in a civilization of flying cars, interplanetary travel, holographic libraries and robots with personalities, they still don't have a friggin' ultrasound and are shocked when somebody goves birth to twins. Yeesh.

Pricetag
6/7/2006, 09:22 AM
These movies break my heart. Lucas had the bones of a fine prequel trilogy worthy of the Star Wars name here. If only he'd gotten a little help writing the screenplays and directing, like he did with Empire and Jedi.

Hatfield
6/7/2006, 09:41 AM
still can't believe hayden didn't win best actor for his fine performance.

and the movie may not be cool, but the duel in HD is pretty cool.

C&CDean
6/7/2006, 09:52 AM
During the last star wars thread I learned that the movie I saw way back in 1970-something is actually the last movie in the series. This is good, because I already know what happens, and I don't have to waste my time on all these other awful flicks. Ain't seen it, and never will.

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 10:25 AM
I loved the part in the Obiwan-Emokid duel where they start swinging their lightsabers at nothing and it looks like they're trying to rave or something.

Yes. The dialogue was awful. But at least it wasn't Episode II awful... Really, the good thing about Episode III was that you could tune out the talking pretty well and just watch the pretty lightsaber fights. Oh, and the opening space battle was awesome.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 10:30 AM
The lightsaber fights were crap. It looked like ballroom dancing. If they weren't holding glowing rods, it would have looked like that "So You Think You Can Dance" show or whatever it was called. The lightsaber duel in STAR WARS was cool. None of that stupid twirling junk.

Ugh, I get mad just thinking about it.

The thing I remember the most is the opening title sequence:

WAR! There are heroes on both sides.

I was all excited and that told me I was in for an ultra uber crapfest.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 10:31 AM
During the last star wars thread I learned that the movie I saw way back in 1970-something is actually the last movie in the series. This is good, because I already know what happens, and I don't have to waste my time on all these other awful flicks. Ain't seen it, and never will.
You aren't missing anything. You're better off, probably.

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 10:34 AM
The lightsaber fights were crap. It looked like ballroom dancing. If they weren't holding glowing rods, it would have looked like that "So You Think You Can Dance" show or whatever it was called. The lightsaber duel in STAR WARS was cool. None of that stupid twirling junk.

Ugh, I get mad just thinking about it.

The thing I remember the most is the opening title sequence:

WAR! There are heroes on both sides.

I was all excited and that told me I was in for an ultra uber crapfest.

....You're kidding, right? The lightsaber duel in Star Wars? It was, what, 5 seconds of a guy in an unwieldy suit hitting an old man with a stick? Yeah, that was awesome. :rolleyes:

skycat
6/7/2006, 10:36 AM
Seriously, you liked the Ep 4 ligthsaber duel?

Weird.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 10:37 AM
No. How could you like a duel where one dude constantly turns round and round like a freaking square dancer from another planet?

I expected it to break into "Swing your partner round and round" at any second.

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 10:38 AM
Even the one in 6 was kind of... awkward. The one in 5 was awesome, though. Luke getting pwned by flying debris was funny.

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 10:39 AM
skycat, I don't believe he actually saw it. Either that or he's from the old colonial British army school of fighting.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 10:40 AM
Climbing up a structure that's floating on liquid hot magma (which is a whole other subject), swatting at each other with the lightsabers like there's a swarm of mosquitos after them? Come on. Who coreographed that? Nell?

skycat
6/7/2006, 10:44 AM
I get it. You don't like Ep 3. That's cool.

But really, when you happen to catch the original Star Wars and Alec fires up his lightsaber do you think to yourself, "Sweet! This part rawks!!"?

Norm In Norman
6/7/2006, 10:54 AM
HA! Boarder watches Star Wars 3!

proud gonzo
6/7/2006, 11:22 AM

But really, when you happen to catch the original Star Wars and Alec fires up his lightsaber do you think to yourself, "Sweet! This part rawks!!"?

yes. yes I do.

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere...

I started laughing because I heard Edwin Starr in my head with Jackie Chan and a nekkid Homer Simpson singing along.

skycat
6/7/2006, 11:28 AM
Ol' Guiness can barely move. That's the weakest part of the movie (excepting the revisionist Greedo shooting naturally).

Like I said, weird.

Pricetag
6/7/2006, 12:19 PM
The physical part of the duel in A New Hope sucked. Alec Guiness was old, the guy playing Vader probably wasn't too used to moving around in the suit, and they generally didn't know what they were doing. The ones in Empire and Jedi were light years better.

But it did have one thing that the original trilogy duels had that the prequels didn't, and that's the trash talking. That mental aspect of the fight was sorely lacking in the prequel duels, IMO.

The duel in Episode I, as far as the swordsmanship went, was simply awesome. It put all others to shame.

But we started getting the facial shots with twirling lightsabers starting in Episode II, and I was disappointed to see much of the climactic duel in Episode III shot this way. I could hardly tell what was going on most of the time.

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 12:33 PM
The duel between Yoda and Palpatine was completely awesome. It had trash talking and flying senate thingies.

White House Boy
6/7/2006, 12:36 PM
The duel in Episode I, as far as the swordsmanship went, was simply awesome. It put all others to shame.

Word. IMO, the Darth Maul scenes were the ONLY saving grace to Episode I. Little Orphan Annie and Jar Jar Binks absolutely destroyed that flick.

Lucas should've killed off that double jointed amphibian and let Darth Maul mysteriously come back to life for Episode II & III.

Pricetag
6/7/2006, 12:41 PM
Word. IMO, the Darth Maul scenes were the ONLY saving grace to Episode I. Little Orphan Annie and Jar Jar Binks absolutely destroyed that flick.

Lucas should've killed off that double jointed amphibian and let Darth Maul mysteriously come back to life for Episode II & III.
What was Lucas thinking killing off Darth Maul at the end of Episode I, anyway? Dooku was a much weaker character, although he could actually, you know, speak.

If I had written these flicks, I'd have had Anakin witness Maul killing Qui-Gon, and let him escape and live in Dooku's place until the third movie. Anakin's revenge killing at the beginning of Episode III would have made soooooo much more sense.

White House Boy
6/7/2006, 12:50 PM
What was Lucas thinking killing off Darth Maul at the end of Episode I, anyway? Dooku was a much weaker character, although he could actually, you know, speak.

If I had written these flicks, I'd have had Anakin witness Maul killing Qui-Gon, and let him escape and live in Dooku's place until the third movie. Anakin's revenge killing at the beginning of Episode III would have made soooooo much more sense.

As Ugly Wanda often said, "Fo' real dough!"http://www.synapticblur.com/pics/inlivingcolor02.jpg

proud gonzo
6/7/2006, 12:53 PM

whatchoo talkin about? Darth Maul talked

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 12:55 PM
Classicly trained actor > "Yes, master..."

Pricetag
6/7/2006, 01:00 PM
whatchoo talkin about? Darth Maul talked
"At last, we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge."

That's the entirety of his dialogue, is it not? Darth Maul had an imposing physical appearance and was a great fighter, but I'll never understand why he wasn't more than basically an enforcer.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 02:11 PM

Heck yeah! That's part of the coolness of the first one. Guiness was smooth. And, he could talk. Vader was menacing, not a goon. AG wanted Vader to kill him so he could grow into the next level guy. Meeting on a deck in the Death Star. All the stormtroopers running to watch. It's not even close.

Sith had Dr Monotone and the dude from Moulin Rouge spinning each other do se do.

Boarder
6/7/2006, 02:13 PM
HA! Boarder watches Star Wars 3!
:les: YOU BOUGHT IT!

skycat
6/7/2006, 02:23 PM
Heck yeah! That's part of the coolness of the first one. Guiness was smooth. And, he could talk. Vader was menacing, not a goon. AG wanted Vader to kill him so he could grow into the next level guy. Meeting on a deck in the Death Star. All the stormtroopers running to watch. It's not even close.

One guy that can't raise his arms above his head becuase of his suit, having a sword fight with a guy who isn't athletic enough to play church league softball doesn't wow me.

The spinning thing starts in the Classic Trilogy. Luke is doing low speed spins all the time in Empire and Jedi.

sooneron
6/7/2006, 02:24 PM
It's so funny how everyone takes these films so seriously, when all Lucas wanted to do was bring back some nostalgia from the campy serials of his childhood. He's thinking Flash Gordon and you guys are expecting LOTR heavy stuff.
Luke's first battle with Daddy was tits, as was his last one. Both were more kewl than the newer stuff.

C&CDean
6/7/2006, 02:25 PM
I blame The Matrix for all of you being disappointed in the fight scenes. Of course I've never watched that POS either, but I have to listen to Beano fantasize about it all the time.

skycat
6/7/2006, 02:27 PM
It's so funny how everyone takes these films so seriously, when all Lucas wanted to do was bring back some nostalgia from the campy serials of his childhood. He's thinking Flash Gordon and you guys are expecting LOTR heavy stuff.
Luke's first battle with Daddy was tits, as was his last one. Both were more kewl than the newer stuff.

Hell, I wouldn't call LotR "Heavy Stuff". :texan:

skycat
6/7/2006, 02:28 PM
I blame The Matrix for all of you being disappointed in the fight scenes. Of course I've never watched that POS either, but I have to listen to Beano fantasize about it all the time.

Hey, not every movie series can be like that one you like about a boy who likes to stuff a stick between his legs and go chasing shiny balls.

C&CDean
6/7/2006, 02:35 PM
Hey, not every movie series can be like that one you like about a boy who likes to stuff a stick between his legs and go chasing shiny balls.

Bloody hell, do not mock the greatness that is HP. I've a good mind to give you a little taste of the cruciatis curse for that one.

skycat
6/7/2006, 02:39 PM
Dumbledore is a p***y.

sooneron
6/7/2006, 02:39 PM
Hell, I wouldn't call LotR "Heavy Stuff". :texan:
Let's just say that the flow from part to part was better thought out.

I've barely seen two of the HP movies. I got bored during the 2nd one. I just can't get into kids casting spells and ****.

C&CDean
6/7/2006, 02:48 PM
Dumbledore is a p***y.

Strike 2.

C&CDean
6/7/2006, 02:49 PM
Let's just say that the flow from part to part was better thought out.

I've barely seen two of the HP movies. I got bored during the 2nd one. I just can't get into kids casting spells and ****.

Well doh. You're too busy waxing your bimmer and adjusting your prosthetic penis to enjoy a good flick.

silverwheels
6/7/2006, 02:50 PM
I want to see this (http://www.kungfunation.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=51) version of Episode III. Language is NSFW.

Norm In Norman
6/7/2006, 02:52 PM
:les: YOU BOUGHT IT!
I have a thing about having matching sets of stuff. But I admit it.

I bet you go to hideaway during the day too. "nobody will see me during the day."

handcrafted
6/7/2006, 02:54 PM

Too busy watching "Roadhouse" with Patrick Swayze? :D

handcrafted
6/7/2006, 02:55 PM
Bloody hell, do not mock the greatness that is HP. I've a good mind to give you a little taste of the cruciatis curse for that one.

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Dean is a nerd after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

One of us, one of us
We accept him, one of us...

sooneron
6/7/2006, 03:07 PM
Well doh. You're too busy waxing your bimmer and adjusting your prosthetic penis to enjoy a good flick.
Why would I wax it when I can have an undocumented worker do it for me?:texan:

White House Boy
6/7/2006, 03:44 PM
Why would I wax it when I can have Stanley do it for me?:texan:

Sick.