PDA

View Full Version : Where do the names of the days of the week come from?

achiro
6/6/2006, 11:08 PM
and how long have we been using them? I'm counting on the vast knowingness that is the SO to come up with why thurs-day is called thurs-day.

bri
6/6/2006, 11:10 PM
Mostly from Greek and Roman gods.

proud gonzo
6/6/2006, 11:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_the_week

YWIA

wikipedia is your friend

olevetonahill
6/6/2006, 11:11 PM
and how long have we been using them? I'm counting on the vast knowingness that is the SO to come up with why thurs-day is called thurs-day.
Cause QUEERS DAY wasn't PC correct ?

GottaHavePride
6/6/2006, 11:14 PM
thursday is Thor's Day.

Tailwind
6/6/2006, 11:18 PM
Monday is the second day of the week, day of moon goddess, Selene, Luna and Mani.
Derived from Lunae Dies, day of the moon, the name reflects the ancient observance of feast days dedicated to moon goddess or planet.
Tuesday is the third day of the week. In the Roman calendar the corresponding day was dies Martis, the day of Mars, associated with Ares. Tiw's day is derived from Tyr or Tir, the god of honorable war, the wrestler and the son of Odin and, or Woden, the Norse god of war and Frigga, the earth mother. His emblem is the sword, and in olden days the people paid him great homage. Tuesday was named in his honor
Wednesday, the fourth day of the week, corresponds to the Roman Dies Mercurii. The name derives from the Scandinavian Woden (Odin), chief god of Norse mythology, who was often called the All Father.
Thursday is the fifth day of the week. It derives its name from the Middle English Thoresday, or Thursdaye, corresponding to the Roman dies Jovis.
Friday is the sixth day of the week. The name is derived from the Germanic Frigga the name of the Norse god Odin's wife. Frigga is considered to be the mother of all, and the goddess who presides over marriage. The name means loving or beloved.
Saturday is the seventh day of the week, corresponding to the Roman dies Saturni, or day of Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture.
Saturday is also represented by Loki, the Norse god of tricks and chaos.
Sunday is the first day of the week.
From prehistoric times to the close of the fifth century of the Christian era, the worship of the sun was dominant.
Sunday celebrates the sun god, Ra, Helios, Apollo, Ogmios, Mithrias, the sun goddess, Phoebe.

Since ancient Roman times.

Okla-homey
6/7/2006, 05:43 AM
Don't tell the ACLU. If they had their way it would be Oneday, Twoday, Threeday, etc. since the use of Roman/Greek/Norse deities in the names of the days of the week involves official state sponsorship of religion.

swardboy
6/7/2006, 08:00 AM
Let's start a petition to rename Friday "Friggaday"....I like the ring of that.

C&CDean
6/7/2006, 08:16 AM
I always thought the French mercredi (Wednesday) was a cool name for a day

I prefer the spanish "mierkoles"

SoonerInKCMO
6/7/2006, 08:48 AM
Don't tell the ACLU. If they had their way it would be Oneday, Twoday, Threeday, etc. since the use of Roman/Greek/Norse deities in the names of the days of the week involves official state sponsorship of religion.

The gubmint named the days of the week? :confused:

proud gonzo
6/7/2006, 11:25 AM
So far the only language i've found where Wednesday isn't just a retarded day is German. Mittwoch--mid-week.

NormanPride
6/7/2006, 11:30 AM
How unimaginative.