PDA

View Full Version : saxeT overrated? nah...

OU4LIFE
6/6/2006, 01:19 PM
Texas – Alright, it’s damn tough to sell Texas as overrated with last year’s national championship still fresh in our minds, however, since 1971, this has, by no measure, been one of the most consistent programs in the country. The ‘Horns get weighed down by 1976, 1988, 1991 and 1997, four losing seasons in the face of lofty preseason predictions. Good thing for Mack Brown. Remove the coach’s tenure from the record books, and Texas is just behind Michigan State, or dangerously close to being college football’s most overrated school of the last 35 years.

heh

TexasLidig8r
6/6/2006, 01:22 PM
How incredibly aggy.

Let's remove 8 years of the 35.

Let's also start it the years after Texas won 2 MNCs.

:rolleyes:

Oh, for the record, that was from a list that had Texas tied for the 10th "most overrated" program, with Michigan State as first. Michigan State? Please. And you know the list is bogus when Neutered Dame is not listed AT ALL.

OU4LIFE
6/6/2006, 01:23 PM
Blame CFN.

It's not like they are saying anything we all didn't already know, Lid.

CincySooner
6/6/2006, 01:36 PM
they listed ND

CatfishSooner
6/6/2006, 01:42 PM
hehe

ADs_Agent
6/6/2006, 02:02 PM
Texas has a new QB this year, but a good receiver core, so they either will be decent or continue to give Oklahoma tornadoes by sucking so much.

CU Sooner
6/6/2006, 02:16 PM
How incredibly aggy.

Let's remove 8 years of the 35.

:rolleyes:

Oh, for the record, that was from a list that had Texas tied for the 10th "most overrated" program, with Michigan State as first. Michigan State? Please. And you know the list is bogus when Neutered Dame is not listed AT ALL.

Thanks for making the point, consistency over the last 35 years not 37. Be thankful you played in SWC or you would be ahead of Mich St. By the way ND #8 two spots below.

TexasLidig8r
6/6/2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for making the point, consistency over the last 35 years not 37. Be thankful you played in SWC or you would be ahead of Mich St. By the way ND #8 two spots below.

Too bad we didn't play in the Big 2 Little 6 where Oklahoma traditionally only had one tough game every year. :rolleyes:

sooneron
6/6/2006, 02:37 PM
Too bad we didn't play in the Big 2 Little 6 where Oklahoma traditionally only had one tough game every year. :rolleyes:
As opposed to?
We've been over this. swc was painfully average, like the big 8 and somewhat less noteworty due to national titles, or lack of...

freshchris05
6/6/2006, 02:39 PM

didn't we already have this conversation where you guys tried to compare the hogs and the huskers....

TheGodfather889
6/6/2006, 03:12 PM
It's hard to call Notre Dame one of the most overrated programs of all time because of their consistency over the last 80 years with their 12 National Titles and 7 Heisman Trophies. Also,I don't like or dislike Notre Dame. This was just my unbiased opinion.

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2006, 03:28 PM

Texas A&M
Arkansas
SMU
TCU
Rice
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech

Man, look at those powerhouses.

TexasLidig8r
6/6/2006, 03:43 PM
Man, look at those powerhouses.

Kansas
Kansas State
Ioway State
Misery
Okie Lite
Colorado.

Traditionally, a veritable murderer's row I tell you!!!

ADs_Agent
6/6/2006, 04:10 PM
when UT was in the SWC and OU was in the Big 8 CU was pretty good, plus the powerhouse of Nebraska, UT only played a subpar Arkansas.

101sooner
6/6/2006, 04:18 PM
You know Lid, that's twice in the past couple of days you've refered to OU posts as being "Aggy".

Maybe you should stick your Aggy comments up your ***?

TexasLidig8r
6/6/2006, 04:22 PM
You know Lid, that's twice in the past couple of days you've refered to OU posts as being "Aggy".

Maybe you should stick your Aggy comments up your ***?

Your reading comprehension skills leave much to be desired.

Since the first poster in this thread did not originate the article, the "aggy" reference was not directed at him. Instead, it was directed at the author of the dubious article.

Perhaps before attempting to call out a poster, you should make sure you have a full and complete understanding of the post in question.

ADs_Agent
6/6/2006, 04:44 PM
Here's a trophy for the best attempt to take foot out of mouth

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/flash7205/troph11.jpg

Snrfn4ever08
6/6/2006, 05:16 PM
Your reading comprehension skills leave much to be desired.

Since the first poster in this thread did not originate the article, the "aggy" reference was not directed at him. Instead, it was directed at the author of the dubious article.

Perhaps before attempting to call out a poster, you should make sure you have a full and complete understanding of the post in question.

shut up, your opinion doesn't countHook 'em

101sooner
6/6/2006, 05:38 PM

I'm well aware of where the article originated 'horn. That's why I said that your "aggy" reference was directed at a "post", not a "poster".

TJKDone
6/6/2006, 07:04 PM
Texas – Alright, it’s damn tough to sell Texas as overrated with last year’s national championship still fresh in our minds, however, since 1971, this has, by no measure, been one of the most consistent programs in the country. The ‘Horns get weighed down by 1976, 1988, 1991 and 1997, four losing seasons in the face of lofty preseason predictions. Good thing for Mack Brown. Remove the coach’s tenure from the record books, and Texas is just behind Michigan State, or dangerously close to being college football’s most overrated school of the last 35 years.

heh

I don't think it is hard to claim that we are overrated headed into next year. I think we should be fringe top ten and maybe lower with the loss of VY, Mike Huff etc.

But it harder IMO to claim that we are overrated than it is to claim that OU is. Your D is not going to be as good as you all want it to be with the questions at DT and DB. You replace the only really good DB that you had.

Your offense is a question mark at every position except RB and behind him the drop off is black hole like. I think some of those question marks, in fact most of them, will be turn out in your favor. But in my book there are too many of them to justify you guys as top 5 in the pre season polls like most are currently projecting.

Hook'em

101sooner
6/6/2006, 07:10 PM
But we're talking about Sims, 'Street , King , Lott, Shoate, the Selmon's, etc.......

Oh nevermind. Sheesh.

101sooner
6/6/2006, 07:12 PM
Is anyone tracking the irony of this whole thread?

Damn.

AlbqSooner
6/6/2006, 07:21 PM
Ok lid - lets do compare the SWC and the Big 8. In what year did the SWC end up holding the #1, #2, and #3 spots in the polls?

I thought so.

goingoneight
6/6/2006, 09:07 PM
Is anyone tracking the irony of this whole thread?

Damn.

Ironic that it's Tuesday and SF.com still has a whorn chub...

TheGodfather889
6/7/2006, 02:20 AM
You replace the only really good DB that you had.
Chijioke was one of the bigger busts I had seen here. You really believe he will be hard to replace?

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 07:27 AM
I don't think it is hard to claim that we are overrated headed into next year. I think we should be fringe top ten and maybe lower with the loss of VY, Mike Huff etc.

But it harder IMO to claim that we are overrated than it is to claim that OU is. Your D is not going to be as good as you all want it to be with the questions at DT and DB. You replace the only really good DB that you had.

Your offense is a question mark at every position except RB and behind him the drop off is black hole like. I think some of those question marks, in fact most of them, will be turn out in your favor. But in my book there are too many of them to justify you guys as top 5 in the pre season polls like most are currently projecting.

Hook'em

that post just gave me a hemmorage.

or if it helps TJK, "That post is just be gave me a one hemmorage".

shavedmarmoset
6/7/2006, 12:41 PM

For the record, OU had three MNC's before you guys even came close.

TexasLidig8r
6/7/2006, 12:50 PM
For the record, OU had three MNC's before you guys even came close.

For the record, I'm gonna do a SoonerAmended Pick a Place in College Football History Simply Because We Want To-ism here....

I don't believe any championships before the BCS should count because the system in the past was even more flawed than what it is now. Today, we have a more likely than not 1 vs. 2 in the championship game. Before the BCS, it was the bowls with their flawed conference tie-ins. Therefore, those championships should not count.

Therefore, it is now. OU 1 national championship .. Texas 1 national championship.

shavedmarmoset
6/7/2006, 12:55 PM
Interesting theory Lid. Too bad nobody else agrees with you unless theyre wearing burnt orange or retarded. Wait...that was redundant.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2006, 01:06 PM
Lid, just for arguments sake, they picked 35 years as an arbitrary number. They could have done 40, 45 or even 50 and saxeT would have still been consistently overranked in comparisson to where they finished. So there years they picked is really not important.

SoonerJLB
6/7/2006, 01:15 PM

Hook'em

Yeah, but the Horns still have Mack Brown and Gregg Davis. Advantage OU. Viva le Mack Brown! Hook 'em

Luthor
6/7/2006, 01:20 PM
Oh yeah, right. Athalon had us at #6 last year. Those guys obviously have a grip on college football. Funny thing about that magazine though. Nobody talks about it after June.

TexasLidig8r
6/7/2006, 01:51 PM
Ok.. let's look at the AP stats. Since 1970, Texas preseason and post season looks like this...

1970 – 2nd 1st

1971 – 3rd 18th

1972 – 14th 3rd

1973 – UR 14th

1974 – 10th 17th

1975 – 12th 6th

1976 – 7th UR

1977 – 18th 4th

1978 – 7th 9th

1979 – 4th 12th

1980 – 10th UR

1981 – 8th 2nd

1982 – 18th 17th

1983 – 3rd 5th

1984 – 4th UR

1985 – UR UR

1986 – UR UR

1987 – UR 19th

1988 – 19th UR

1989 – UR UR

1990 – 23rd 12th

1991 – 13th UR

1992 – UR UR

1993 – UR UR

1994 – 19th 20th

1995 – 18th 14th

1996 – 8th 23rd

1997 – 12th UR

1998 – UR 15th

1999 – 17th 21st

2000 – 6th 12th

2001 – 5th 5th

2002 – 3rd 6th

2003 – 5th 12th

2004 – 7th 5th

2005 – 2nd 1st

That means in that time frame:

Texas finished within 6 places of where they were picked at the start of the year ... 6 times.

Texas finished higher ranked at the end of the year ... 13 times.

Texas finished even, no better, no worse... 6 times...

Texas finished 10 places or worse at the end of the year... 5 times.

Texas dropped between 6 and 10 places... 4 times.

Texas was unranked preseason in 7 of those years.

Thus, in the time period listed, Texas finished no worse than 6 places below their preseason ranking, 25 times, or 71% of the time.

Texas finished within 10 places of their preseason ranking 86% of the time.

We all know that preseason rankings are beauty pageants. Keeping in mind that this time period includes one of the darkest decades in Longhorn football history, the stats don't really support the moniker of "overrated."

sooneron
6/7/2006, 02:03 PM
The ouchie is going from 4th pre-season to UR!

'91,'97,'76

Why did I think you were a good team in '76? It must have been the tie.

and you have way too much time on your hands

Boomer_Sooner_sax
6/8/2006, 03:00 PM
For the record, I'm gonna do a SoonerAmended Pick a Place in College Football History Simply Because We Want To-ism here....

I don't believe any championships before the BCS should count because the system in the past was even more flawed than what it is now. Today, we have a more likely than not 1 vs. 2 in the championship game. Before the BCS, it was the bowls with their flawed conference tie-ins. Therefore, those championships should not count.

Therefore, it is now. OU 1 national championship .. Texas 1 national championship.

This is the funniest thing I have read...EVAR! Too bad you guys have to be followers as always...Under your logic, OU won the first NC for the Big XII and have a better shot that UT than to win another one. 2005 was a fluke...kinda like Haley's comet...only comes once every 35 years so enjoy it while it passes you by.

zeke
6/8/2006, 06:29 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You sir are a dumb a$$

soonerloyal
6/8/2006, 08:52 PM
Boy, I hope Lid does better in court than he does in CFB debating. Egad.

I'm sure if those supposed "don't count 'em" MNC's were in Texas' column, that post wouldn't ever have been made.

olevetonahill
6/8/2006, 10:14 PM

You sir are a dumb a$$
That too but hes a lawyer 1st ;) Just confuse the facts and talk fast with a lot of Bull sh1t That only a :texan: would swallow Hook 'em

picasso
6/8/2006, 11:57 PM
Okie State would've won the SWC in '88 and would made a serious run at it '84-'87.

just for a little perspective.

TexasLidig8r
6/9/2006, 08:54 AM

You sir are a dumb a$$

F'in' Hillbillies...:rolleyes:

sat·ire http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3 Fq%3Dsatire) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (shttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/abreve.gifthttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/imacr.gifrhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gif)
n.
<LI type=a>A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
The branch of literature constituting such works. See Synonyms at caricature (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=caricature).
Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.
[Latin satira, probably alteration (influenced by Greek satur, satyr, and saturos, burlesque of a mythical episode), of (lanx) satura, fruit (plate) mixture, from feminine of satur, sated, well-fitted. See shttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/amacr.gif- in Indo-European Roots.]

OU4LIFE
6/9/2006, 08:55 AM
man, i deleted this thread once.

once.

FaninAma
6/9/2006, 09:14 AM
What is aggy is calling OU's opposition in the Big 8 weak when your sorry assesd team played in that piece of crap conference formely known as the Southwest Conference.