PDA

View Full Version : Google taking over the world - part 371.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2006, 12:37 PM
Man, I thought Norm would be all over this today.

Google Spreadsheets (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/06/technology/06google.html)

SAN FRANCISCO, June 5 — Stepping up its attack on Microsoft's (http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=MSFT) core business, Google (http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=GOOG) plans to make available on Tuesday a test version of a Web-based spreadsheet program that is intended to make it simple to edit and share lists and data online.

The company said that the free program, called Google Spreadsheets, would be able to read and create files in the format used by Excel, the Microsoft spreadsheet software that is installed on millions of personal computers.

The spreadsheet service is another step in Google's steady march toward creating its own computing universe that is an alternative to desktop PC software now dominated by Microsoft. It comes just months after Google bought a small Silicon Valley company called Upstartle, creators of a Web-based word-processing program called Writely.

As Google has been moving into Microsoft's traditional desktop turf, Microsoft has been fighting back by adding online components to its software and building up its Web offerings. It is working especially hard to challenge Google's dominance in Web search services and the lucrative advertising they generate.

Google executives said Monday that the spreadsheet program would make it possible for as many as 10 people to simultaneously edit a spreadsheet document online and chat about it using Google's instant messaging program.

The new service will be able to handle several hundred formulas used to manipulate data in Excel, but not more complex functions like macros, said Jonathan Rochelle, the Google Spreadsheets product manager.
"When people want to share and collaborate, we think this product fits in well," Mr. Rochelle said.

The service was developed by Google's research arm, Google Labs. The company stressed the experimental nature of the product and said that the service would initially be offered to only a limited number of users.

The spreadsheet service is intended to appeal to small groups of business users, or to people who now use spreadsheets as de facto database programs to keep simple lists, Mr. Rochelle said. For example, soccer coaches who are juggling team lists and people planning family reunions might use it to put data in a place where it can be easily viewed and edited by others.

Mr. Rochelle said the ability for many people to collaborate was quite different from the standard method of e-mailing files back and forth. "It's a 'wow' moment with most users," he said.

For now, Google Spreadsheets lacks the ability to chart information. But Google is clearly hoping that the service and Writely will give it a head start on Microsoft in the area of so-called Web services.

Google has played down its efforts in this field. Despite widespread talk that Writely could compete with Microsoft Word, Eric E. Schmidt, Google's chief executive, said at a recent news conference that the company had no intention of using Writely to enter the word-processing marketplace. Rather, he said, Google was hoping to integrate Web-based word processing into many services that it was developing.

Last year, Microsoft responded to the growing availability of online alternatives to traditional desktop programs by announcing Windows Live and Office Live, two Microsoft-oriented Web portals.

Microsoft says that the Office Live Collaboration service permits several users to edit an Excel spreadsheet document simultaneously. But for the service to work, users must have Excel software on their personal computers. Google is hoping that many Web users will find it simpler to share the information by placing it on Google's servers.

Alan Yates, general manager for information worker business strategy at Microsoft, said that the ability to collaborate had been available to Microsoft Office users for some time. Mr. Yates said the company was watching the low end of the market closely, pointing to a number of free and online spreadsheet services now available, including OpenOffice, SimDesk and ThinkFree. But he said Excel's widespread adoption and powerful features made it superior.

"We see most consumers are really looking for more integration with their school or work life," he said. "They want more compatibility and not less."

As is almost always the case, Google executives deflected questions about how it would derive revenue from its new service.

Mr. Rochelle said that for now the company had no plans to connect the service to its AdWords advertising system, which places relevant text advertisements on Web pages.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=wise&passive=true&nui=1&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fspreadsheets.google.com%2Fcc c%3Fnew

Norm In Norman
6/6/2006, 12:45 PM
I saw it but I think it's sorta stupid. I mean, it's cool that it works but i don't want any more of my useless information in google's hands.

OklahomaTuba
6/6/2006, 12:54 PM
If its not going to be an improvement to excel, whats the point?

I do hope this leads to a better version of powerpoint type software.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 12:58 PM
They're eventually going to integrate all this stuff in a business portal, I bet. The goal being that you can do basically everything you need in Google's webPortal and never have to leave their site. Genius, really...

I mean, it would be really helpful for small businesses to not have to buy all these expensive software suites... my guess is a basic photo-editing tool would be next, or maybe a database utility. And the larger corporations could pay for Google to customize a place for them. In return, Google gets lots of money and access to users' preferences to hone their tools.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2006, 12:58 PM
Well, it's free. That's an improvement. ;)

And, everyone can access/update the same document on-line at the same time.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2006, 01:00 PM
I mean, it would be really helpful for small businesses to not have to buy all these expensive software suites... my guess is a basic photo-editing tool would be next, or maybe a database utility. And the larger corporations could pay for Google to customize a place for them. In return, Google gets lots of money and access to users' preferences to hone their tools.

They call that Picasa.

http://picasa.google.com/

yermom
6/6/2006, 01:01 PM
like i want google to have all my data :eek:

yermom
6/6/2006, 01:03 PM
Well, it's free. That's an improvement. ;)

And, everyone can access/update the same document on-line at the same time.

i've yet to find a reason not to use Open Office (www.openoffice.org)

Vaevictis
6/6/2006, 01:04 PM
The point is that Google, it seems, is actually implementing what Microsoft was trying to prevent when they went after Netscape, *and* they're going after Microsoft's #2 product too.

Microsoft was scared sh*tless that the web platform would eventually make the operating system irrelevant.

If Google can eventually make an office suite that is competitive with Microsoft's (and that is a rather large if), then (imo) Microsoft will either have to make an equivalent, or exit the Office apps space. And once either of those happens, Windows ceases to be relevant for 75% (ish) of users.

From a corporate IT person's point of view, this sort of stuff is my wet dream. If I can centralize all of the critical apps on a web system, it makes automating the entire corporate network almost trivial. No need to license everything everywhere, just have a bunch of low web-only-enabled terminals (for which all the software is free) for the majority of users. Save the data on the web side or in a database, and just back up the centralized machines. Application revision control is no longer important, just upgrade it on those central servers. Man, oh man, the BOFH is back, baby!

Simply put, it has the potential to slash end user IT support costs tremendously, and essentially cripple Microsoft in the corps. And if you do that, you essentially end Microsoft's current business model.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:11 PM
The point is that Google, it seems, is actually implementing what Microsoft was trying to prevent when they went after Netscape, *and* they're going after Microsoft's #2 product too.

Microsoft was scared sh*tless that the web platform would eventually make the operating system irrelevant.

If Google can eventually make an office suite that is competitive with Microsoft's (and that is a rather large if), then (imo) Microsoft will either have to make an equivalent, or exit the Office apps space. And once either of those happens, Windows ceases to be relevant for 75% (ish) of users.

From a corporate IT person's point of view, this sort of stuff is my wet dream. If I can centralize all of the critical apps on a web system, it makes automating the entire corporate network almost trivial. No need to license everything everywhere, just have a bunch of low web-only-enabled terminals (for which all the software is free) for the majority of users. Save the data on the web side or in a database, and just back up the centralized machines. Application revision control is no longer important, just upgrade it on those central servers. Man, oh man, the BOFH is back, baby!

Simply put, it has the potential to slash end user IT support costs tremendously, and essentially cripple Microsoft in the corps. And if you do that, you essentially end Microsoft's current business model.

See, but I don't know if ending MS here would be a good idea. I would much rather they both blossom and compete wildly for your $$$. And don't think that Google will always be free, especially if they start homing in on the corporate market. Most of these now are just consumer apps to get the public ready for their corporate versions, and when those come out there will be a subscription fee instead of a one-time fee.

Which brings me to my next issue with this. What would you rather have: a situation like now where you buy software but then have to pay for upgrades constantly? Or a situation wherein Google wins this battle and constantly charges you for a product they may or may not improve due to their monopoly in the market. The upside of this would be decreased hardware dependencies, but honestly, do you think the hardware companies would put up with that?

yermom
6/6/2006, 01:14 PM
games will still drive hardware though...

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:18 PM
Sure, for personal computing, but what about all the corporate contracts that keep these big businesses alive? I doubt Intel can survive on just gaming boxes if the business market realizes that they don't need processor upgrades every year.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2006, 01:19 PM
i've yet to find a reason not to use Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org)

Because open source software is for hippies. ;)

Vaevictis
6/6/2006, 01:22 PM
Do keep in mind that Google does on-site hosting too, where you buy an internet application server (the whole thing from top to bottom) and you don't have to pay a monthly fee. I expect that Google will offer the same thing in the scenario that I described; IT departments are justifiably concerned about outsourcing critical data, and it would be a deal-breaker for many of them if they absolutely *had* to connect to Google-owned servers.

And, as far as it ending Microsoft goes, it would not end Microsoft. It would end Microsoft's current business model. You know, the one where they do everything they possibly can to lock you into their OS so they can gouge you for $500-$1000 per seat per year or so (which is about what most IT departments in large corps pay to Microsoft for everything their users use -- OS, Office, Exchange, MS SQL, etc).

Instead, Microsoft has to compete on the merits of it's *operating system*, not on the merits of the software that runs on it. (as for most desktops in corps, the main concern is "will it run MS Office?"). This, in turn, forces MS to compete on the merits of the software in some areas where the only reason people run it is because it runs well on Windows.

BeetDigger
6/6/2006, 01:27 PM
like i want google to have all my data :eek:

While I am sure that it is sensitive information, I doubt that Google is very interested in the data that you are keeping to track the efficiency of your penile enlargement pump. :texan:

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:27 PM
I want jkm's insight into this. Send out the jkm beacon!

http://www.purpleeagles.com/images/4-color-wendy's-logo.gif

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/6/2006, 01:36 PM
what do you want to know? based on what i know of both companies i'd liken it to the germans (google) vs. the french (microsoft). microsoft is so bloated internally with red tape that the fact that they get any releases out at all is a minor miracle.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:44 PM
what do you want to know? based on what i know of both companies i'd liken it to the germans (google) vs. the french (microsoft). microsoft is so bloated internally with red tape that the fact that they get any releases out at all is a minor miracle.

That's actually exactly what I wanted to know. They've gotten complacent and inefficient because they have a practical monopoly. They will be unfit for the upcoming battle with Google. Especially unfit if it comes to changing their whole business model.

yermom
6/6/2006, 01:44 PM
While I am sure that it is sensitive information, I doubt that Google is very interested in the data that you are keeping to track the efficiency of your penile enlargement pump. :texan:

that sort of thing ain't my bag, baby

BeetDigger
6/6/2006, 01:47 PM

"Here is one receipt for a penile enlargement pump, with the name yermom on it."

"And here is a book entitled "My penile enlargement pump and me" written by yermom."

:D

dolemitesooner
6/6/2006, 01:50 PM
That not wha you said last night:D