PDA

View Full Version : I'm fairly certain I'm never buying music ever again

Norm In Norman
6/6/2006, 08:43 AM
in any form INCLUDING streaming. How can something like this even be considered?

http://ipaction.org/blog/2006/06/worst-bill-youve-never-heard-of.html

49r
6/6/2006, 09:42 AM
greedy bastages

Hatfield
6/6/2006, 09:44 AM
k-fed and britney are getting divorced.

Hatfield
6/6/2006, 09:46 AM
p.s. uhmmmm.... i will only say that if you do a snopes.com search for SIRA don't say i didn't warn you.

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2006, 09:50 AM
p.s. uhmmmm.... i will only say that if you do a snopes.com search for SIRA don't say i didn't warn you.

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=SIRA&getit=Go&sp-a=00062d45-sp00000000&sp-advanced=1&sp-p=all&sp-w-control=1&sp-w=alike&sp-date-range=-1&sp-x=any&sp-c=100&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

:confused:

SoonerBorn68
6/6/2006, 10:41 AM
My music collection is big enough(yea Napster!)...I haven't bought a CD by a major artist in about 5 years.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/6/2006, 10:59 AM
Mrs. THA being a muscian, we buy CDs. However, they can sue me for if I buy a CD, I then have the right to transfer it, listen to it and change its format in anyway I deem as long as it is fair use and I don't sell or alter the contents. I have purchased the RIGHT to use that recording in a manner that best fits me. Screw the RIAA and those farging cornsuckers...

VeeJay
6/6/2006, 05:36 PM
k-fed and britney are getting divorced.

Don't....even...joke...about...that....

GottaHavePride
6/6/2006, 05:43 PM
Hooray! Support live music! Ensure job stability for me!

Scott D
6/6/2006, 05:44 PM
I'm fairly certain that I shall continue to do what I can to keep my second hand CD store in business for as long as possible.

bri
6/6/2006, 05:47 PM
I'm fairly certain that I shall continue to do what I can to keep my second hand CD store in business for as long as possible.

I thought Garth Brooks crushed you guys back in the 90's, when someone told him he could outsell the Beatles and Elvis if it weren't for them dang ol' used CD stores.

And, of course, by "could outsell the Beatles and Elvis if it weren't for them dang ol' used CD stores" I mean "all those poor, hardworking session players are losing out on their .13 an album because of those evil, heartless used CD stores". :D

Scott D
6/6/2006, 05:52 PM
any anything I can do to drive Sony/BMG into the poor house is fine with me....

unless of course they hire me to a high paying job, at which point I will do my best to make sure they topple the oil industry :D

yermom
6/6/2006, 05:59 PM
used CD's are teh win

i usually just rip them anyway

BigRedJed
6/6/2006, 06:19 PM
My music collection is big enough(yea Napster!)...I haven't bought a CD by a major artist in about 5 years.
Man, what a shame. There has been some fabulous music released in the last five years. Oh well, I know some people who only listen to classic rock, too. I guess the desire to hear new music dies in some people, at some point. Hopefully not me. Ever.

Scott D
6/6/2006, 06:21 PM
Man, what a shame. There has been some fabulous music released in the last five years. Oh well, I know some people who only listen to classic rock, too. I guess the desire to hear new music dies in some people, at some point. Hopefully not me. Ever.

I danno Jed, not buying a CD in the last 5 years, and not listening to something new, especially with the proliferation of legal means to hear music on the internet (Rhapsody comes to mind, along with Yahoo's music thing) without going out and buying a CD doesn't mean that someone hasn't heard anything new in 5 years.

BigRedJed
6/6/2006, 07:33 PM
I think SB68 was meaning more that he hadn't bought any music at all in the past five years, after DLing the heck out of Napster, before it became a pay service. The "my music collection is big enough" comment is what gave me that impression. If that's what he meant it's a shame. Hopefully my music collection will never be "big enough."

sooneron
6/6/2006, 08:12 PM
I would like to thank Jed at this point for directing me to this wonderful place where I can get cds. It's called....

the "Public Library".

crazy

handcrafted
6/6/2006, 08:30 PM
Apparently it's a real bill, but there is some disagreement as to whether it would apply to end users.

If it only deals with "copyright holders", then that's not end users, because end users do not hold the copyrights.

Scott D
6/6/2006, 08:41 PM
Apparently it's a real bill, but there is some disagreement as to whether it would apply to end users.

If it only deals with "copyright holders", then that's not end users, because end users do not hold the copyrights.

yeah but with the greed of the RIAA it's always a matter of 'for now'.

yermom
6/6/2006, 08:52 PM
I think SB68 was meaning more that he hadn't bought any music at all in the past five years, after DLing the heck out of Napster, before it became a pay service. The "my music collection is big enough" comment is what gave me that impression. If that's what he meant it's a shame. Hopefully my music collection will never be "big enough."

he did say "major artist" too

i for one get sick of all my old crap a lot

handcrafted
6/6/2006, 08:55 PM
yeah but with the greed of the RIAA it's always a matter of 'for now'.

Yeah true. But, they did try this crap with cassette tapes and then VCRs, so I'm still holding out hope that the market will prevail. There was that whole DAT fiasco, though, but I'm not sure that was totally killed by RIAA interference. It may just have been bad timing.

yermom
6/6/2006, 08:58 PM
mp3's, CD burners and home PC recording software has to have those RIAA bastards hiding under their beds licking the carpet at night

Scott D
6/6/2006, 09:02 PM
Well yermom, they have to pay for their coke somehow ;)

hand, I'm not so sure the market will prevail in this. The recent trend has been leaning toward 'artists' over the market. Today we get forcefed things (ie...Lucas' dealio with DVD over the alternative outputs originally), and 'conventional' radio is the epitome of being forcefed crap and being told it's filet mignon. What I'm waiting for is the true backlash to begin against the Record Industry...because it's not going to be very pretty....I'm talking doleo in a 3 way with A&M List Eater and her twin not very pretty. :D

yermom
6/6/2006, 09:23 PM
well, if artists can record their own stuff on a PC, or with Garageband or something and then promote their crap on things like Myspace and Pandora and then sell them on Amazon and iTunes...

even if they can't record it themselves, it's a lot cheaper for someone to do it for them that it used to be.

what do they need the record companies for at that point?

Scott D
6/6/2006, 09:26 PM
I couldn't tell you. I know that the stuff that my friend DJ Graffiti releases, he does independantly and I believe he mixes most of it on his own computer as it is. He does however take the final product to a more professional setup to get mass produced.