PDA

View Full Version : Unix - Anyone use it?

slickdawg
6/6/2006, 08:20 AM
I do, Solaris, AIX, UNICOS, IRIX & RHEL.

OUDoc
6/6/2006, 08:22 AM
I use Gillette Power Stripe Solid.

yermom
6/6/2006, 08:28 AM
RHEL, Fedora and Solaris 8 & 9, moving to 10

thankfully all my 2.5x, 2.6 and 2.7 boxes are long gone

slickdawg
6/6/2006, 08:29 AM
Solaris 7 was nice - giant step forward from 2.2-2.5.1

yermom
6/6/2006, 08:32 AM
i barely used it on the one box we had it on

it was mostly 2.6

crawfish
6/6/2006, 08:45 AM
This is a Unix system...I know this!!!

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7206/3dfs5ge.gif

skycat
6/6/2006, 10:22 AM
I've got a Unix box and a laptop sitting on my desk. All of our design tools are native to Unix.

Frankly though, I really only know enough Unix to be dangerous.

yermom
6/6/2006, 10:44 AM
i forgot about Mac OS X :P

Ike
6/6/2006, 11:14 AM
haven't used unix in a while, but I have used AIX and IRIX. nowadays its mostly Fedora.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2006, 11:28 AM
Frankly though, I really only know enough Unix to be dangerous.

A good 'kill -9' in the right spot can do wonders.

yermom
6/6/2006, 11:31 AM
or 'rm -rf *'

skycat
6/6/2006, 11:37 AM
Exactly. There are just so many ways to "efficiently" blow stuff away in Unix. And then you can write aliases that make it even easier :O. Couple that with the fact that we have a lot of directory structures that look remarkably similar, and....

I'm not "Deleted the whole working directory guy" though. Yet...

slickdawg
6/6/2006, 11:37 AM
rm -rf /*

or kill -9 1

both do wonders

Ike
6/6/2006, 11:43 AM
or 'rm -rf *'

however with intelligent uses of permissions though, this will only wipe out your stuff and not anyone elses

unless someone does it as root. then they should be kicked in the nuts.

yermom
6/6/2006, 11:45 AM
this is why no one should log in as root ;)

Partial Qualifier
6/6/2006, 11:45 AM
I'm fumbling my way through setting up IPMP failover & multipathing on solaris 8 systems. I haev no idea what the heck I'm doing but fortunately there's a wealth of documentation on this stuff out there

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2006, 11:49 AM
or 'rm -rf *'

Never done that.

But I did do this once:

delete from cmn_sec_users
where some-sorta-condition...

Forgetting that the SQL tool I was using was very finicky with the formatting of multiple line commands.

Sux when all the users disappear.

Partial Qualifier
6/6/2006, 11:49 AM
We've got a guy here who's supposed to be the primary unix admin but the more I learn about unix & work with it, the more I realize this guy has no idea what the **** he's doing.

yermom
6/6/2006, 11:52 AM
We've got a guy here who's supposed to be the primary unix admin but the more I learn about unix & work with it, the more I realize this guy has no idea what the **** he's doing.

you hirin' :O

skycat
6/6/2006, 11:56 AM
however with intelligent uses of permissions though, this will only wipe out your stuff and not anyone elses

unless someone does it as root. then they should be kicked in the nuts.

True, but in a collaboritive enviornment, while you shouldn't be able to get everybody's, you could pretty easily get more than just your own.

Of course, all our stuff is supposed to be frequently backed up.

The worst was when we had some kind of targeted virus that systematically blew away about 90% of our floor's user directories. I don't know that the admins have figured out how the hell it got there. But one morning people watched helplessly as data was deleted until the plug was pulled from the whole network.

The whole department was shut down for about a week while the admins tried to figure out what to do. Then we found out while much of our data was backed up, there were certain categories of directories that weren't, that people weren't aware of.

Good times.

Ike
6/6/2006, 12:14 PM
True, but in a collaboritive enviornment, while you shouldn't be able to get everybody's, you could pretty easily get more than just your own.

Of course, all our stuff is supposed to be frequently backed up.

The worst was when we had some kind of targeted virus that systematically blew away about 90% of our floor's user directories. I don't know that the admins have figured out how the hell it got there. But one morning people watched helplessly as data was deleted until the plug was pulled from the whole network.

The whole department was shut down for about a week while the admins tried to figure out what to do. Then we found out while much of our data was backed up, there were certain categories of directories that weren't, that people weren't aware of.

Good times.

CVS. its a great thing for those collaborative environments and you don't have to worry about other people writing to your areas.

slickdawg
6/6/2006, 12:15 PM
you hirin' :O

hey, that's MY line!

:texan:

Vaevictis
6/6/2006, 12:46 PM
Been using Linux extensively since 1995. Started out on SunOS 4.x a year or two before that.

Why Linux? Cause I sure as hell wasn't going to drop $800 on SunOS when I could get something similar for $0.

Boarder
6/6/2006, 12:50 PM
This is a Unix system...I know this!!!

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7206/3dfs5ge.gif
He's coming through the glass!

Vaevictis
6/6/2006, 12:52 PM
Gawd X was butt-ugly back then.

yermom
6/6/2006, 01:00 PM
Gawd X was butt-ugly back then.

it still has a way to go...

and Slowaris is free now :)

Vaevictis
6/6/2006, 01:08 PM
It still has a way to go, yeah, but it doesn't make me want to vomit every time I see it either.

And Solaris may be free, but why would I switch to it when I'm now content and expert in Linux? :)

yermom
6/6/2006, 01:12 PM
Solaris 10 with the Containers looks really cool, i haven't gotten to play with it much yet though

for the most part though, i'd much rather use RHEL than Solaris 9

patching Slowaris is a PITA

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:42 PM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5404/threadnerds8rk.jpg

Heh.

skycat
6/6/2006, 01:47 PM
CVS. its a great thing for those collaborative environments and you don't have to worry about other people writing to your areas.

Oh, we have version control software. For stuff that's been released there is no way to get around using it. The problem is making it play nice with our tools when in development. I'm sure all of this stuff is a solved problem for coders and the like, but our tools are a little more niche market than that.

It can be done, but it means that there is a bunch more work to do it that way, and so most people don't put it in version control until near the end of the project to save on hassle.

skycat
6/6/2006, 02:13 PM
I'm sure all of this stuff is a solved problem for coders and the like, but our tools are a little more niche market than that.

Not that anyone but me cares but I just thought I'd elaborate.... our digital guys that are just writing Verilog or whatever use version control software all the time. It's not that hard to check out a single file while you are using it to edit, then check it back in when done.

The problem comes for us analog types that work in hierarchical tools with several different view types. In order to get anything done you need to be able to travel instantaneously up and down the heirarchy and make edits in the various views, with each view being comprised of several different files. Trying to check out only while you are editing and check stuff back in when you are finished becomes an enormous pain in the backside.

Ike
6/6/2006, 02:24 PM
Oh, we have version control software. For stuff that's been released there is no way to get around using it. The problem is making it play nice with our tools when in development. I'm sure all of this stuff is a solved problem for coders and the like, but our tools are a little more niche market than that.

It can be done, but it means that there is a bunch more work to do it that way, and so most people don't put it in version control until near the end of the project to save on hassle.

heh. See, I've learned enough from disk failures now that everything should go into CVS. I'm even putting my thesis in it.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 02:30 PM
I just can't see CVS without thinking of colley, which makes this whole thread seem kind of twisted.

skycat
6/6/2006, 02:42 PM
heh. See, I've learned enough from disk failures now that everything should go into CVS. I'm even putting my thesis in it.

That's undoubtedly a good idea. But it's just not practical for us. Our working directories are backed up to an offsite location weekly, so we'll just have to live with that.