PDA

View Full Version : So Does This Mean I'm Officially A Nerd?

Rogue
6/5/2006, 08:23 PM
-I actually bought a Cliff's Notes (OK "sparknotes" but I still call 'em cliff's) for a book I read in order to understand it better. I haven't been in school for years and I don't have a test to study for. Maybe I've been a big dork for a long time now and didn't get the memo.

OCUDad
6/5/2006, 08:24 PM
Yes. Yes, it does.

OUinFLA
6/5/2006, 08:29 PM
I think you need to be "Officially" sanctioned by one of the resident nerds on here.

SelmaBamaFan
6/5/2006, 08:32 PM
Man you sure left the door open on that one...

OCUDad
6/5/2006, 08:36 PM
I think you need to be "Officially" sanctioned by one of the resident nerds on here.I am insulted that you do not consider me a resident nerd and plan to slap you silly with my slide rule.

OUinFLA
6/5/2006, 08:54 PM
your slide rule doesnt scare me near as much as one of the real nerd's Palm Pilot.

OCUDad
6/5/2006, 08:58 PM
Palm Pilots are for wussies.

OUinFLA
6/5/2006, 09:07 PM
McGiver or Bauer can take a Palm Pilot and build an airplane equiped with a nuke capable of destroying Stoolwater..........................
WAIT..............maybe they're the good guys afterall!!!

GottaHavePride
6/5/2006, 09:25 PM
I think the question here is what book was it? I can certainly see instances when some Cliff's notes might be helpful giving you somewhere to start with heavy literature.

Now, if you bought the notes for the Da Vinci Code then yeah, we're gonna make fun of you. ;)

yermom
6/5/2006, 09:27 PM
a real nerd doesn't need Cliff's Notes ;)

jacru
6/5/2006, 09:38 PM
I am insulted that you do not consider me a resident nerd and plan to slap you silly with my slide rule.
Slide rule?! Dang, you are an OLD nerd.:D

yermom
6/5/2006, 09:40 PM
i have a sliderule somewhere... i have no idea how to use it though

jacru
6/5/2006, 09:51 PM
I, actually, would read the cliffnotes and NOT the book. I usually got a B+ or better doing that. :D

GottaHavePride
6/5/2006, 09:54 PM
Heh. I actually enjoy reading. The best I ever did was turned in the same book review about 8 times in a row in the same year. the teacher was so clueless she never noticed. It was "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" and I think I did that in 8th grade so I could read whatever the heck I wanted rather than the books on the list.

Mixer!
6/5/2006, 10:34 PM
McGiver or Bauer can take a Palm Pilot and build an airplane equiped with a nuke capable of destroying Boone State..........................
WAIT..............maybe they're the good guys afterall!!!

Fixed. :stunned:

critical_phil
6/5/2006, 11:32 PM
i have a sliderule somewhere...

it's probably on your casio..............

http://www.xmission.com/%7Eturq/Casio/xDBC310-1.gif

stooperTrooper
6/6/2006, 12:51 AM
a nerd would not need the cliff notes..

stooperTrooper
6/6/2006, 12:52 AM
however your sig with a quote from Mark Twain does make you a nerd;)

yermom
6/6/2006, 08:06 AM
it's probably on your casio..............

http://www.xmission.com/%7Eturq/Casio/xDBC310-1.gif

nah, my cellphone and Blackberry both have clocks and calculators ;)

crawfish
6/6/2006, 08:29 AM
nah, my cellphone and Blackberry both have clocks and calculators ;)

Executives have blackberry's.

Nerds have Treos.

You're obviously "management material". :D

yermom
6/6/2006, 08:30 AM
heh, i wish

Rogue
6/6/2006, 06:44 PM
I think the question here is what book was it? I can certainly see instances when some Cliff's notes might be helpful giving you somewhere to start with heavy literature.

Now, if you bought the notes for the Da Vinci Code then yeah, we're gonna make fun of you. ;)

Catch-22. Not exactly "heavy" but some of the symbolism was lost on me. At least according to the Harvard-types that wrote the sparknotes it was.
I didn't understand the "soldier in white" but I knew that it was important on some level. Now that I've read the cheatsheets I can say that I actually got more out of the whole deal.