PDA

View Full Version : A truck driver goes golfing

Jerk
6/5/2006, 06:57 PM
I went golfing for the first time ever this past weekend and had a blast. Seems like I hit the ball to the right almost everytime, though. It was so bad, I just compensated by aiming left. I cheated by using tees with irons because I have an old injury to my hand and if I hit the ground hard the 'jarring effect' will hurt VERY BAD. Also appears that I got better with more beer consumed. I shot par on one hole (out of 18) and that was after I teed off 4 times, but if that 4th time would have been my first then by God I would have made par...see what I'm saying? But i really did have a few 'good shots' - like using a 7 iron and hitting the ball high over the creek and onto the green, and that made me feel really warm and fuzzy and got me thinking I want to try this more. What do you guys think of those cheap $100 sets they sell at Academy? Okay for a feller like myself who will probably never be good and never take the sport that seriously because I kind of succ?

ps we almost had a wreck with the go-cart,err...golf cart that would have landed me in the hospital.

lefty
6/5/2006, 07:02 PM
I went golfing for the first time ever this past weekend and had a blast. Seems like I hit the ball to the right almost everytime, though. It was so bad, I just compensated by aiming left. I cheated by using tees with irons because I have an old injury to my hand and if I hit the ground hard the 'jarring effect' will hurt VERY BAD. Also appears that I got better with more beer consumed. I shot par on one hole (out of 18) and that was after I teed off 4 times, but if that 4th time would have been my first then by God I would have made par...see what I'm saying? But i really did have a few 'good shots' - like using a 7 iron and hitting the ball high over the creek and onto the green, and that made me feel really warm and fuzzy and got me thinking I want to try this more. What do you guys think of those cheap $100 sets they sell at Academy? Okay for a feller like myself who will probably never be good and never take the sport that seriously because I kind of succ?

Golf is addictive. You find friends who would rather play golf than do anything else. $100 clubs are just fine. As much hype as equipment gets, nothing helps more than a good swing. If you bought $10,000 clubs, you wouldn't play much better, if better at all. Just keep in mind, having cheap clubs gives you an excuse for succing. The longer you play the more you'll learn that no one is ever at fault for a bad shot or a bad round, it's always something else. Be sure you practice on your excuses, that's probably more important than practicing on your game.

lefty
6/5/2006, 07:05 PM
By the way, you don't go golfing, you play golf. You think guys go baseballing, or footballing?

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 07:06 PM
If I couldn't hit irons I wouldn't buy any they sell all irons in wood models 7 wood ect.

Jerk
6/5/2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks. I'll try to figure out irons by first not trying to spank the ball into the next time zone.

StoopTroup
6/5/2006, 08:01 PM
Golfing is much more fun than digging ditches.

BajaOklahoma
6/5/2006, 08:11 PM
By husband's grandmother had to give up golf at 93. She was under par for her final 9 holes.

My mother took golf lessons. She quit after her third lesson - she got a hole in one on one of the Hefner North holes.

True. Not funny, but true.
Seriously.

OUinFLA
6/5/2006, 09:16 PM
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.

I used to buy them by the case to save money.

sooneron
6/5/2006, 10:05 PM
I went to the range earlier and was happy, for the most part, with my swing (a few weeks off). Even hit some PWs to the 150 green! No tailwind, btw...