PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Finals Thread

Sooner95
6/5/2006, 04:04 PM
Oilers vs Carolina

Old skool vs New...

I'd like to see the Oilers take this series, tho I expect this to go at least 6, if not 7 games. Ready for some good Hockey.

http://www.nhl.com/cup/index.html

Scott D
6/5/2006, 05:18 PM
heh...since the Wings won the cup in 2002. The team that eliminated them every year since has represented the Western Conference in the Finals. The first two lost.

JohnnyMack
6/5/2006, 05:24 PM
Go Oilers!

mrowl
6/5/2006, 05:36 PM
damn you Stars. You have ZERO leadership, and ZERO personality.

Scott D
6/5/2006, 05:41 PM
damn you Stars. You have ZERO leadership, and ZERO personality. And a Chipmunk that wears #9.

fixed ;)

Sooner95
6/6/2006, 06:56 AM
Nice comback, heck of a game..

Car over Edm 5-4

Carolina leads series 1-0

Next up

Game 2: Weds 8pm EST

mrowl
6/6/2006, 07:32 AM
Great game! HUGE mistake by the edm backup goalie and Smith to let the game winning goal go in with 30 seconds left.

mrowl
6/6/2006, 07:33 AM
and Dwayne Roloson (edm starting goalie) is out for the SERIES! :eek: bad knee

GrapevineSooner
6/6/2006, 10:28 AM
Great game! HUGE mistake by the edm backup goalie and Smith to let the game winning goal go in with 30 seconds left.

Speaking as a former goaltender myself, I'd blame Smith more than I'd blame Conklin for that screwup.

Smith should have never been that close to Conklin and it looks like there was a communication breakdown (or lack of communication at all) on the play.

mrowl
6/6/2006, 11:00 AM
you probably will agree that Edmonton is done?

Roloson is the reason they have been rolling.

GrapevineSooner
6/6/2006, 12:39 PM
They're probably done.

Unless Ty Conklin can pick up where Rolly left off.

Scott D
6/6/2006, 04:21 PM
I feel strange...I can't cheer for Edmonton because they are the bane of Detroit's existence (never beaten them in a playoff series), on the other hand the Canes are owned by Peter Karmonos who is a huge rival with Mike Ilitch so we're not suppossed to like them either...choices, choices.

Sooner95
6/9/2006, 08:22 AM
Car up 2-0 and not looking good for Oilers. They looked completely deflated in Game 2. Perhaps the home crowd can lift them up and win game 3 to get back on track.

HoserSooner
6/10/2006, 11:54 PM
Great article that pretty much sums up what hockey means up here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/060609

Sooner95
6/11/2006, 09:53 AM
Good win for the not only the Oilers but for that backup Goalie.. only allowing 1 goal wil help his confidence.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 09:08 AM
Screw the World Cup. Last night's game was awesome! Can't wait until Saturday night!

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2006, 09:08 AM
THanks to ESPN for this gem:

Edmonton Sp-Oilers!!

GrapevineSooner
6/15/2006, 09:24 AM
More blame should go to the lazy defenseman who allowed Pisani to steal the puck clean from him and get a shorty break away, but it looked to me like Cam Ward could have come out of his net just a little more.

In other words, Pisani had a TON of net to shoot at over Ward's left shoulder.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 09:38 AM
More blame should go to the lazy defenseman who allowed Pisani to steal the puck clean from him and get a shorty break away, but it looked to me like Cam Ward could have come out of his net just a little more.

In other words, Pisani had a TON of net to shoot at over Ward's left shoulder.

In all fairness to Ward it happened so fast that he barely had time to react. I think Pisani made a hell of a play. But the pass was soft.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2006, 09:37 PM
Looks like we are going to have a Game 7 on Monday in Carolina

JohnnyMack
6/17/2006, 10:23 PM
What a terrific series this is shaping up to be. Edmonton has been the better team the last 4 games (minus 1 little lapse in game 4).

I hope Edmonton crushes on Monday night.

HoserSooner
6/17/2006, 10:59 PM
The Oilers looked like a team possessed tonight. They hit everything that was wearing a white jersey, and Carolina never seemed to be able to get their gameplan working.

Hope I can get the game across the border....we're heading down for some roller-coastering at Cedar Point in the morning. IS NBC carrying it, or am I going to have to try and find a sports bar in downtown Sandusky?

Scott D
6/18/2006, 01:21 AM
your love affair with that ****hole outside of Cleveland is going to be the death of you Hoser. :D

Scott D
6/19/2006, 10:11 PM
good on for Aaron Ward..wish we didn't have to let him leave a few years ago. He's now got his name on the Cup 4 times...and congrats to Michigan native Doug Weight.

And the string of teams knocking Detroit out of the playoffs and losing the cup since the Wings won the cup in '02 is extended to 3 in a row :D

GrapevineSooner
6/19/2006, 10:19 PM
Congrats to the Canes.

And to Rod Brind'Amour.

mrowl
6/20/2006, 05:47 AM
never thought that series would have gone 7, but turned out to be a good one.

HoserSooner
6/21/2006, 04:29 PM
your love affair with that ****hole outside of Cleveland is going to be the death of you Hoser. :D

We love it and we'll keep going back...best roller coasters I've been on by far. It's just a little bit of a drive for us, but well worth it.

It ****ed down rain on Monday night, so we had a good excuse to stay in the room and watch the game. Glad to see Wesley get his ring...he deserved it.

BeetDigger
6/21/2006, 04:49 PM
I wonder if this series, and the playoffs in general, were enough to make hockey fans forget and forgive? I am not a "hockey fan" per se. I only pay attention to the Avs during the regular season and only watch them during the playoffs. I thought the playoff results were good, what with the low seeds from the West doing so well and the fact that the finals went 7 games.

Scott D
6/21/2006, 05:32 PM
'Hockey fans' were back even before the playoffs....where things are changed the most are that people can look at teams who traditionally had to dump talent and say "These guys made it, we can too" which will mean full houses for pretty much everyone but Pittsburgh, but that's an entirely different ball of wax.

What Bettman and them need to do is find a way to get the casual fan back..even if it includes fellating ESPN to get back there since the OLN experiment is a failure, despite having better personnel covering games and in studio than they had with ESPN.