PDA

View Full Version : And THIS is what's wrong with the NCAA.

OUstud
6/5/2006, 03:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2471422

NormanPride
6/5/2006, 04:02 PM
It's a slippery slope between winning that kind of prize money and players "winning prizes" for other things. The NCAA sucks for a lot of reasons, but this isn't one of them.

Boomer.....
6/5/2006, 04:36 PM
I think that is pretty weak!

SoonerStormchaser
6/5/2006, 04:48 PM
Gawddamn NCAA!

Boz was right!

Snrfn4ever08
6/5/2006, 04:53 PM
It's a slippery slope between winning that kind of prize money and players "winning prizes" for other things. The NCAA sucks for a lot of reasons, but this isn't one of them.

i hate to contradict you and i don't wanna make you mad, but how is that not one the reasons the NCAA sucks? that prize had absolutely nothing to do with football. i don't understand why people can go play professional baseball and then quit that and come play college football but a college football player can't accept a prize at a charity golf tournament without losing his eligibility. how does that work, i don't get it?

Soonerwolf
6/5/2006, 05:01 PM
i hate to contradict you and i don't wanna make you mad, but how is that not one the reasons the NCAA sucks? that prize had absolutely nothing to do with football. i don't understand why people can go play professional baseball and then quit that and come play college football but a college football player can't accept a prize at a charity golf tournament without losing his eligibility. how does that work, i don't get it?

This is an excellent point. Didn't Weinke take the Heisman away from Heupel after coming back to FSU after a stint with pro baseball? He was a young 26 or 27 in the Orange Bowl when we showed the world OU football was back !!!!!

Tate should have been able to at least accept the prize and donate it to the University or a charity of his choice if he couldn't keep it. The NCAA has more red tape and regulations than the Federal government !!!!!

:twinkies:

SOONERKAT
6/5/2006, 05:30 PM
Benson at tu (minor league baseball), Zbikowski at ND (boxing), no big deal right? I read that it was the Iowa AD that advised him not to accept the prize. Tate went on to say that he was not mad, that if not for the University and his status on the football team, he would not have even played in the tournament. Tate = gamer. He is a bit of a hothead, but he is a good kid. Reminds me a lot of a certain quaterback we are familiar with. This completely sucks for him.

freshchris05
6/5/2006, 05:32 PM
Benson at tu (minor league baseball), Zbikowski at ND (boxing), no big deal right? I read that it was the Iowa AD that advised him not to accept the prize. Tate went on to say that he was not mad, that if not for the University and his status on the football team, he would not have even played in the tournament. Tate = gamer. He is a bit of a hothead, but he is a good kid. Reminds me a lot of a certain quaterback we are familiar with. This completely sucks for him.

Drowning in a sea of whorns... fattest city in america.... hmmmm...

Houston!!??

SOONERKAT
6/5/2006, 05:33 PM
You know it!

freshchris05
6/5/2006, 05:35 PM
haha so grills arent just mouth jewelry in houston??

snp
6/5/2006, 05:36 PM
Not anymore. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10734692/)

2 posts in one day protecting my home town, what's with today?

freshchris05
6/5/2006, 05:42 PM
Not anymore. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10734692/)

2 posts in one day protecting my home town, what's with today?

thats just preseaon just wait till the bcs...

go okc!!

Sooner_Bob
6/5/2006, 05:43 PM
Sure. I bet he wasn't angry . . . he definitely has every right to be.

First Jeremy Bloom and now this . . . . :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/5/2006, 05:47 PM
Tate should have been able to at least accept the prize and donate it to the University or a charity of his choice if he couldn't keep it. The NCAA has more red tape and regulations than the Federal government !!!!!

except for the fact that he'd still owe taxes on the prize...

Snrfn4ever08
6/5/2006, 05:54 PM
This is an excellent point. Didn't Weinke take the Heisman away from Heupel after coming back to FSU after a stint with pro baseball? He was a young 26 or 27 in the Orange Bowl when we showed the world OU football was back !!!!!

yea, i meant to include weinke as an example but i forgot. my badHook 'em

AlbqSooner
6/5/2006, 07:55 PM
i hate to contradict you and i don't wanna make you mad, but how is that not one the reasons the NCAA sucks? that prize had absolutely nothing to do with football.
"if it weren't for football and the university, I wouldn't be playing in this outing anyway,"

Therein lies the distinction. He had the opportunity only to participate only because he was an Iowa football player, an opportunity not afforded to non-athletes at Iowa.

josh09
6/5/2006, 09:49 PM
NOT ANGRY?

thats $25 grand, wtf is up with this?!

The Consumate Showman
6/5/2006, 10:19 PM
except for the fact that he'd still owe taxes on the prize...

Leave it to JKM to point out the stuff that none of us think about. Just when you thouhgt it was safe to go back in the water, JKM will always spot that huge shark lurking just below the surface......:)

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 10:21 AM
"if it weren't for football and the university, I wouldn't be playing in this outing anyway,"

Therein lies the distinction. He had the opportunity only to participate only because he was an Iowa football player, an opportunity not afforded to non-athletes at Iowa.

Thank you. The NCAA's paranoia about money comes from the fact that it has the potential to completely screw collegiate athletics. I don't agree with their policies on pro baseball or other pro sports, and that is one of the reasons the NCAA sucks. Especially after the Bloom ordeal.

But this is completely different. It was a prize he was eligible for only because he was an Iowa FB player. That kind of advantage cannot be used to earn money, no matter what the reason. If that was allowed, then how long would it take for UT, USC, Miami, FSU, or Georgia to start buying up all the best players? How long before ND started having "Charity Footraces" where everyone won?

Snrfn4ever08
6/6/2006, 11:20 AM
Thank you. The NCAA's paranoia about money comes from the fact that it has the potential to completely screw collegiate athletics. I don't agree with their policies on pro baseball or other pro sports, and that is one of the reasons the NCAA sucks. Especially after the Bloom ordeal.

But this is completely different. It was a prize he was eligible for only because he was an Iowa FB player. That kind of advantage cannot be used to earn money, no matter what the reason. If that was allowed, then how long would it take for UT, USC, Miami, FSU, or Georgia to start buying up all the best players? How long before ND started having "Charity Footraces" where everyone won?

alright, you've convinced meHook 'em

Alum81
6/6/2006, 10:51 PM
Actually, the prize of winning the car was available to any person that entered the charity tournament. Thus, any college student at Iowa could have entered and if they hit a hole in one, they would have won the car. There was no advantage to him just because he was a football player on scholarship. I disagree with the NCAA on this one. It doesn't take rocket science to determine the difference between a charity tournament that is legit and a bogus "charity" event that is set up to funnel money to an athlete.

KyleUT
6/7/2006, 03:12 PM
Actually, the prize of winning the car was available to any person that entered the charity tournament. Thus, any college student at Iowa could have entered and if they hit a hole in one, they would have won the car. There was no advantage to him just because he was a football player on scholarship. I disagree with the NCAA on this one. It doesn't take rocket science to determine the difference between a charity tournament that is legit and a bogus "charity" event that is set up to funnel money to an athlete.

Ahhh...but do we know if Tate had to pay the entry fee that any other Iowa student would have had to pay to enter this charity event? Perhaps Drew was only playing because of his celebrity status so as to entice more people to play? Though that right there seems to be an extra benefit that would be against the rules...so confusing.