PDA

View Full Version : Solar Power

soonerhubs
6/5/2006, 12:18 PM
Is it economically feasible? Will it be soon? I'm just looking at the fact that dumb***es in Iran have too much control over Gas Prices these days.

Also what about Hydrogen Fuel for cars?
I hear there are Solar Powered refueling stations so I wonder if that's going to be a viable option in the future.

Any expert opinions on this?

BeetDigger
6/5/2006, 12:25 PM
I'm back hard at work in my garage trying to get cold fusion working. It's a pain in the arse trying to get heavy water however.

Meanwhile, I sure hope that the person who is in charge of inventing a material that will superconduct at room temperature hurrys up. What are they down to now? Something like 273 degree kelvin? That's not even room temperature on Pluto. Hurry up already would ya!

soonerhubs
6/5/2006, 12:26 PM
I'm back hard at work in my garage trying to get cold fusion working. It's a pain in the arse trying to get heavy water however.

Meanwhile, I sure hope that the person who is in charge of inventing a material that will superconduct at room temperature hurrys up. What are they down to now? Something like 273 degree kelvin? That's not even room temperature on Pluto. Hurry up already would ya!
heh
But seriously...

yermom
6/5/2006, 12:31 PM
273 K is still pretty warm... i'd be surprised if they had done that yet

i wonder if there is a point at which using solar and wind power would alter the climate of regions or the planet...

i'm still not sure how they can make Hydrogen without losing a lot of energy in the process either

OUstudent4life
6/5/2006, 12:41 PM
This is why our current administration is so ****-bent on getting to Mars...hopefully there was life at one point, millions of years ago, so there might be oil :D

soonerhubs
6/5/2006, 12:42 PM
This is why our current administration is so ****-bent on getting to Mars...hopefully there was life at one point, millions of years ago, so there might be oil :D
Could be... I always wondered what the point of that trip would be?

mrowl
6/5/2006, 12:44 PM
there is a company in Norman that offers Green, zero energy renewable home for under $200K now.

And yes, it is feasible as long as your state provides tax rebates for installation.

soonerhubs
6/5/2006, 12:46 PM
there is a company in Norman that offers Green, zero energy renewable home for under $200K now.

And yes, it is feasible as long as your state provides tax rebates for installation.
Good point. Considering power bills getting so high, that may be a good deal, pending other stuff like location and square footage.

slickdawg
6/5/2006, 12:47 PM

i wonder if there is a point at which using solar and wind power would alter the climate of regions or the planet...

i'm still not sure how they can make Hydrogen without losing a lot of energy in the process either

Speaking of the climate, I heard on CNN over the weekend that increased levels of CO2 are making Poison Ivy more toxic. By that, they mean
the stuff that makes you itch is becoming more concentrated and potent.

That means mutant killer poison ivy - 5-10 years.

soonerhubs
6/5/2006, 12:49 PM
Speaking of the climate, I heard on CNN over the weekend that increased levels of CO2 are making Poison Ivy more toxic. By that, they mean

Will it burn like Gasoline? :D

BeetDigger
6/5/2006, 12:53 PM

Actually, I think it's -273 farenheit. Flipping between kelvin and farenheit always confuses me when I haven't done it in a while.

slickdawg
6/5/2006, 12:54 PM
Actually, I think it's -273 farenheit. Flipping between kelvin and farenheit always confuses me when I haven't done it in a while.

Que up scaldeddawg, chemical engineer extrodianre.

He can tall you if Hell is endothermic or exothermic.

:texan:

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 01:03 PM
i brought those little solar lights in the house one night during a power outage.a guy could do it every night and save some money.

yermom
6/5/2006, 01:28 PM

Tl-Ba-Cu-oxide will do it at 125 K

not sure how current that is as far as the warmest http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/scond.html

273 K is like 0 degrees Celcius (where water freezes), i think -273 degrees Fahrenheit is something like -103 degrees Celcius

Ike
6/5/2006, 01:53 PM
right now, solar power isn't really economical for a couple of reasons*. The first is simply demand and mass production. There simply isn't enough demand yet to justify very large scale production of solar technology. That will presumably change, but nobody can make you a very good estimate of when. Mass production costs will be the single largest driver of the cost of solar technology I think. A few other considerations are the fact that to power a home with solar energy, you have to collect more energy than you need in a single day in order to provide energy at times when the sun is not out. This means that you have to have some kind of energy storage device, like a battery or whatnot, which also runs the cost up.

As for hydrogen, yeah, there is some energy loss there, but it is still a great option for an alternative transportable fuel IF AND ONLY IF the primary sources of energy are renewables, and cheap renewables at that.

Are these pipe dreams? Certainly for the present they are, however it is not inconcievable that they one day become everyday energy sources. Seriously, we are only a couple of technology breakthroughs away from such a thing being not just possible, but likely.

* - without large tax incentives

ultimatesooner1
6/5/2006, 02:07 PM

I'm pretty much dead then, I catch that **** from the pollen

slickdawg
6/5/2006, 02:10 PM
Kiss yo-self goodbye

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060603/fob1.asp