PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Wie

soonernation
6/5/2006, 10:30 AM
She is -1 through the front nine. They are saying she needs to be 2 to 4 under on the day to qualify. It looks like she might do it.

Scorecard (http://tgcx.mirror-image.net/core.aspx?page=19222&select=21888&select2=9853)

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 10:33 AM
Does anybody else seriously not give a **** as bad as I seriously don't give a ****?

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2006, 10:34 AM
Ding!

soonernation
6/5/2006, 10:37 AM
Does anybody else seriously not give a **** as bad as I seriously don't give a ****?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 10:39 AM
Ticket selling underage ta show.

Jimminy Crimson
6/5/2006, 10:43 AM
Someone with the last name of Kournikova is on the phone, brb.

Newbomb Turk
6/5/2006, 10:50 AM

yes!

OU4LIFE
6/5/2006, 11:06 AM
I hope she makes it.

Sooner in Tampa
6/5/2006, 11:13 AM
I hope she makes it.I don't. Why is she too good to play on the LPGA? :mad:

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 11:18 AM
I hope she makes it.

Why? She hasn't even won a chick's tournament. Let one of the big, hairy dykes (you know, the ones that look like you) who are on the tour play with the guys. Or Sorenstam. She's the only one who's game is anywhere close.

Osce0la
6/5/2006, 11:21 AM
<-----doesn't give a ****.

And you're right, she hasn't done anything on the LPGA, why is she trying to make it in the PGA?

OU4LIFE
6/5/2006, 11:24 AM
hey, she's going through quilifying just like everyone else. It's about challenging yourself to be the best. If these guys don't want her in, then beat her.

If she goes through qualifying and makes it, I don't see how anyone can say she hasn't earned it.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/5/2006, 11:26 AM
I don't. Why is she too good to play on the LPGA? :mad:

Ditto.

When they let men (wearing men's clothes and not gender altered...) play in the LPGA, then I'll let women play the PGA...

Osce0la
6/5/2006, 11:27 AM
If she makes the cut she deserves to be there...I'm just saying, I don't give a ****.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/5/2006, 11:28 AM
Nope, she's stealing a place that a man could have taken...

SoonerInKCMO
6/5/2006, 11:30 AM
Nope, she's stealing a place that a man could have taken...

Maybe that 'man' shouldn't let some little teenage girl be better than him then.

Sooner in Tampa
6/5/2006, 11:30 AM
Ditto.

When they let men (wearing men's clothes and not gender altered...) play in the LPGA, then I'll let women play the PGA...Exactly...how has it become acceptable for a woman/girl to compete on the PGA and it is NOT acceptable for a man to play on the LPGA ?

Hello double standard. :mad:

jthomasou78
6/5/2006, 11:37 AM
If she qualifies, she qualifies and deserves to be there. Everyone has the same oportunity as she does, she is not given any special treatment unlike casey the cart riding bastard martin.

jeremy885
6/5/2006, 11:40 AM
If she qualifies, she qualifies and deserves to be there. Everyone has the same oportunity as she does, she is not given any special treatment unlike casey the cart riding bastard martin.

Why are you still bitter over this? It was like over 3 years ago.

SCOUT
6/5/2006, 11:50 AM
So if Tiger qualified for an LPGA event then he deserves to be there too?

Sooner in Tampa
6/5/2006, 11:53 AM
So if Tiger qualified for an LPGA event then he deserves to be there too?Of course not, men are not allowed to compete on the LPGA :mad: It is cool for women to compete on the PGA...even if you have not won anything on the LPGA...but it is way uncool for men to compete in women's events.

yermom
6/5/2006, 12:04 PM
the LPGA is there because almost all of the time a woman couldn't play with men, they would get blown off the course, right?

this is like saying that you should be able to compete in the Special Olympics or something.

it's the PGA, not the MPGA

if you can't beat out a little girl to qualify, you need to get better.

oh, and golf sucks anyway :P

VeeJay
6/5/2006, 12:06 PM
If she hits one that doesn't make it past the ladies' tee, she has to drop trou.

Oh, wait, she's already ON the ladies' tee!

yermom
6/5/2006, 12:10 PM
if she's playing from the ladies tees then strike my last comment, that is lame

OU4LIFE
6/5/2006, 12:18 PM
she's not on the ladies tees....sheez, she beats it 40 yards past half the men playing anyways.

She's not taking a mans place.....I agree with the others, don't like it? Get better.

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 12:56 PM
hey, she's going through quilifying just like everyone else. It's about challenging yourself to be the best. If these guys don't want her in, then beat her.

If she goes through qualifying and makes it, I don't see how anyone can say she hasn't earned it.

Huh? She hasn't earned it cause she ain't got a dick. And she ain't won jack. And she ain't even anywhere close to being the best female player.

Why does she even get the opportunity? Cause she's young, semi-cute, and a media darling. This is nothing more than Survivor/any other POS reality show - with a golf theme. Does anybody else get the urge to hurl?

NormanPride
6/5/2006, 01:00 PM
Semi-cute? Meh...

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 01:00 PM
Do you like girls in the boy scouts? Same thing

SoonerInKCMO
6/5/2006, 01:04 PM
Do you like girls in the boy scouts? Same thing

Not even close to comparable. :rolleyes:

Sooner in Tampa
6/5/2006, 01:07 PM
Not even close to comparable. :rolleyes:Here is an easy one then.

Can David Duval play on the LPGA Tour ?

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 01:09 PM
Not even close to comparable. :rolleyes:
:eek:

Taxman71
6/5/2006, 01:11 PM
Huh? She hasn't earned it cause she ain't got a dick. And she ain't won jack. And she ain't even anywhere close to being the best female player.

Why does she even get the opportunity? Cause she's young, semi-cute, and a media darling. This is nothing more than Survivor/any other POS reality show - with a golf theme. Does anybody else get the urge to hurl?

Agreed. I can stomach Annika Sorestam teeing it up with the men in the past because of how she thoroughly dominated the LPGA and needed a challenge. Wie is a puppet for her dad (as are most teenagers) and is merely a sideshow trying to make a social and political statement. She may get good enough to actually make the cut at a men's event someday, but the chances of her burning out early are more likely the way her career has been managed.

And any comparison of Wie to Tiger is crap. Tiger honed his game and mental toughness on the amateur circuit at Stanford and the Jr. Nationals. When he went pro, he had the mind and 90% of the game to win week in and out. Add more strength, a swing tweak and he soon dominated and changed nearly every course the PGA plays on. Basically, Wie's father is trying to make her the female Tiger. However, we will not see another Tiger (or Michael Jordan) any time soon.

SoonerInKCMO
6/5/2006, 01:12 PM
Are you people serious? You honestly believe that allowing Wie to play in a PGA event is equivalent to allowing a man to play on the LPGA? Don't you see how stupid that line of reasoning is?

The LPGA exists so that women have a place to compete amongst themselves and not get run off the course by the vastly superior male players. If you let men play on that tour, you might as well disband it. Letting a woman play in a PGA tournament is just letting her test herself against the best in the profession.

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 01:16 PM
If one of the ladies get's to good and starts dominating the lpga let her play on pga.Untill then its just a ticket selling ta show.

yermom
6/5/2006, 01:18 PM
if they go through the same qualifying process, what is the difference?

NormanPride
6/5/2006, 01:21 PM
I feel sorry for the guys that aren't quite good enough to be on the PGA tour, but are tons better than 99% of the LPGA players.

walkoffsooner
6/5/2006, 01:23 PM
ok let the pretty one's play.:D

soonernation
6/5/2006, 01:26 PM

Anyone can try to qualify if he/she has a handicap of 1.4 or better. That’s the great thing about this tournament. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional golfer or a janitor. If you are good enough to get through the qualifying stages then you can play in this tournament.

The United States Open Championship is open to any professional, or to any amateur with an up-to-date USGA Handicap Index™ not exceeding 1.4 under the Men's USGA Handicap System.

http://www.usopen.com/players/qualifying/eligibility.html

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone can try to qualify if he/she has a handicap of 1.4 or better. That’s the great thing about this tournament. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional golfer or a janitor. If you are good enough to get through the qualifying stages then you can play in this tournament.

http://www.usopen.com/players/qualifying/eligibility.html

"Men's handicap."

Last time I checked, she ain't a man.

My whole problem with it is that it's a non-event. Nothing. Zero. Not newsworthy. Some dildonic parent wants their long-hitting, average golfing female offspring to get her mug plastered all over the TV/magazines/papers so they pull a stunt. BFD. It's lame, it's retarded, and only retards will follow this horsecrap. Like I said, it's a "reality tv" golf dealio that ignurnt people are swallowing up. It's crap like this that makes me flip on the TV less and less often.

soonernation
6/5/2006, 02:23 PM
"Men's handicap."

Last time I checked, she ain't a man.

My whole problem with it is that it's a non-event. Nothing. Zero. Not newsworthy. Some dildonic parent wants their long-hitting, average golfing female offspring to get her mug plastered all over the TV/magazines/papers so they pull a stunt. BFD. It's lame, it's retarded, and only retards will follow this horsecrap. Like I said, it's a "reality tv" golf dealio that ignurnt people are swallowing up. It's crap like this that makes me flip on the TV less and less often.

You don't have to be a man to have a handicap under the "Men's USGA Handicap System". You just have to establish that handicap from the mens tees. She has met all the requirements to try to qualify so let her. If she gets embarrassed then let her. At least she has the guts to try something other people are scared to do. There must be a ton of "retards" around because most of the country is following this event including myself.

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2006, 02:25 PM
http://www.phog.tv/images/emoticons/popcorn.gif

NormanPride
6/5/2006, 02:43 PM
I want what that guy's eating/drinking. It never runs out. :eek:

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 02:57 PM
You don't have to be a man to have a handicap under the "Men's USGA Handicap System". You just have to establish that handicap from the mens tees. She has met all the requirements to try to qualify so let her. If she gets embarrassed then let her. At least she has the guts to try something other people are scared to do. There must be a ton of "retards" around because most of the country is following this event including myself.

Are you serious? Now it takes "guts" to try to qualify and everybody is scared of it?

If you choose to waste your time following the media-induced hype then that's your choice. And I'm not bashing you for following/watching the tournament (I'll catch the final day or at least parts of it myself and will follow the daily results as well). I'm bashing those who are all goo goo gah gah over some chick trying to play with men - like it's a new phenomenon or something. It's pure and simple hype. Nothing more, nothing less. I will personally fellate every single person on this board if she finishes in the top 10.

SoonerInKCMO
6/5/2006, 03:01 PM
Uhh.... feel free to appoint a proxy if/when it becomes my turn.

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 03:05 PM
Uhh.... feel free to appoint a proxy if/when it becomes my turn.

Heh. And thanks. But I ain't worried.

NormanPride
6/5/2006, 03:11 PM
I would laugh so hard if it happened.

But only after going into hiding.

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 03:13 PM
I would laugh so hard if it happened.

But only after going into hiding.

Dude, if you hid, you'd miss out on your hummer.

NormanPride
6/5/2006, 03:20 PM
Gee, and I was so looking forward to it.

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 03:23 PM
Gee, and I was so looking forward to it.

Well, yeah?

soonernation
6/5/2006, 03:39 PM
Are you serious? Now it takes "guts" to try to qualify and everybody is scared of it?

If you choose to waste your time following the media-induced hype then that's your choice. And I'm not bashing you for following/watching the tournament (I'll catch the final day or at least parts of it myself and will follow the daily results as well). I'm bashing those who are all goo goo gah gah over some chick trying to play with men - like it's a new phenomenon or something. It's pure and simple hype. Nothing more, nothing less. I will personally fellate every single person on this board if she finishes in the top 10.

Yes it takes guts to do what she's doing. There are people just like you all over the country waiting for her to fail. They would like nothing better than to see her shoot an 82-82 and get embarrassed on national TV. She already has gone farther with this than most people including myself thought she could. She was medalist at her qualifier in Hawaii.

I don't see it as wasting my time following this. It's an interesting story. No woman has ever qualified for the US Open. Just qualifying will probably be the biggest story in golf this year. Whether you like golf or not it's a big story. I'm not "all goo goo gah gah over some chick trying to play with men". As a golf fan this is an interesting story.

If you don't think she's good enough to do it then you should "personally fellate" every person on the board if she qualifies for the US Open.

Newbomb Turk
6/5/2006, 03:45 PM
If she makes the cut she deserves to be there...I'm just saying, I don't give a ****.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

C&CDean
6/5/2006, 03:54 PM
Yes it takes guts to do what she's doing. There are people just like you all over the country waiting for her to fail. They would like nothing better than to see her shoot an 82-82 and get embarrassed on national TV. She already has gone farther with this than most people including myself thought she could. She was medalist at her qualifier in Hawaii.

I don't see it as wasting my time following this. It's an interesting story. No woman has ever qualified for the US Open. Just qualifying will probably be the biggest story in golf this year. Whether you like golf or not it's a big story. I'm not "all goo goo gah gah over some chick trying to play with men". As a golf fan this is an interesting story.

If you don't think she's good enough to do it then you should "personally fellate" every person on the board if she qualifies for the US Open.

You, sir, are a lemming. You've drank the koolaid the media is serving. I bet you were on the edge of your seat when Billie Jean Lezmolian beat Bobby Geritol Riggs too.

But I guess 100 brazillian American Idol watchers can't be all wrong......

And you've got me all wrong. I ain't "waiting for her to fail." I simply don't give a **** if she fails or not.

And fellating everybody if she qualifies would cheapen the prize.

Okla-homey
6/5/2006, 06:33 PM
Michelle Wie = Danica Patrick. This too shall pass.

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2006, 06:36 PM
no go for wie

lefty
6/5/2006, 06:52 PM
Gee, Michele Wie playing golf with men. What next? Gay marriage?

OU4LIFE
6/5/2006, 09:15 PM

Deaner, any one of those chicks that are "better than her" can also tee it up and try to fight through local qualifying if they want to. Any one of them. ANY.

moot point since he didn't make it, but I've got even money that she will make it eventually.

Scott D
6/5/2006, 09:17 PM
oh she'll make it eventually....but I must admit I'd like to see her win a women's event first.

OU4LIFE
6/5/2006, 09:20 PM

are you talking just this time, or is this a standing bet, she's only 16...it WILL happen. Not top ten possibly, but she'll qualify.

sooneron
6/5/2006, 09:30 PM
She needs to win a Ladies event before I take her seriously. Otherwise, I'll be pulling for her media circus to fail. A Men's US Open course will eat her alive. It would, more often than not, eat Annika alive- too long, ****ty rough, and greens rolling at 12 or higher. Hell, it eats most men alive.

I was pulling for Annika back in 03 or whatever at Colonial, btw. I feel she has really earned a shot.

If Wie wie wants to compete at the highest level, maybe she should try winning at a few levels below first.

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2006, 06:59 AM
From all of the reports that I have read...her dad is responsible for this. I think he is going about this all wrong, she should compete on a consitent basis on the LPGA and learn how to compete at that level first. The PGA will eat her up. Another father living his life through his daughter/kid...just sad.

mrowl
6/6/2006, 07:46 AM
Michelle Wie = Danica Patrick . This too shall pass.

at least Danica has won a pro competition (race) in her career

OU4LIFE
6/6/2006, 08:32 AM
It's fun to bash 16 year olds isn't it?

Let's do it some more. wheeeeeeeee

TheHumanAlphabet
6/6/2006, 08:44 AM
From all of the reports that I have read...her dad is responsible for this. I think he is going about this all wrong, she should compete on a consitent basis on the LPGA and learn how to compete at that level first. The PGA will eat her up. Another father living his life through his daughter/kid...just sad.

I can see Saturday Night Live in the future...They'll have Lucy Lu (or whatever her name is) with a golf club glued to her hand (like the old TW skit) and her dad will be over her screaming at her to practice more...

And she didn't make the cut, the world is balanced again...

Mjcpr
6/6/2006, 08:44 AM

Word. She could use a lead pipe to the knee for being..........born.

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2006, 08:53 AM

Let's do it some more. wheeeeeeeeeYeah...that is what we are doing...we are bashing her :rolleyes:

She DOESN'T belong on the PGA!!!!!! How is that bashing someone?

C&CDean
6/6/2006, 08:54 AM

Look at Hairy getting all protective of the wee Wie.

Dude, she/her parents have chosen to hang the poor girl out to dry in the media. And I don't see anybody on here bashing her. The only thing I've seen is a general consensus (well minus a couple of you guys who've got some kind of "thing" going for her) is that she probably needs to prove herself before she takes on this type of challenge.

Like somebody already mentioned, I would support/be interested in Annika trying this again because she's payed her dues. Wie hasn't. Not even a little bit. She's simply not worthy.

OU4LIFE
6/6/2006, 09:13 AM
It just seems like our grapes to me form a bunch of men trying to protect their territory. It's the PGA tour, not the Mens PGA tour.

Paid her dues? What you think qualifying is? The US Open is open to anyone willing to go through qualifying. She beat out 90% of the men trying to qualify, that alone tells me that she's not far off.

and as far as the LPGA goes, she's finished 2nd TWICE in LPGA majors....as an amatuer. Not your run of the mill LPGA safeway classic, MAJORS.

Just because she has a boatload of talent and it's being marketed by Nike is not a reason to bag on her, IMO. Same thing was being said of TW at 17. He didn't belong, blah blah blah.

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2006, 09:28 AM
Paid her dues? What you think qualifying is? The US Open is open to anyone willing to go through qualifying. She beat out 90% of the men trying to qualify, that alone tells me that she's not far off.

and as far as the LPGA goes, she's finished 2nd TWICE in LPGA majors....as an amatuer. Not your run of the mill LPGA safeway classic, MAJORS.

Just because she has a boatload of talent and it's being marketed by Nike is not a reason to bag on her, IMO. Same thing was being said of TW at 17. He didn't belong, blah blah blah.NOT....she finshed 59th out of 183...not quite 90%...but who gives a damn. She just proved that she doesn't belong.

How has she done on the LPGA since she turned pro??? Not very well...but that is just not important right???

And what good does it do to get into a tournment that you are not going to make the cut for??? Seems pretty stupid to me that she is so damn intent to get into a tournment and the most that she can hope to accomplish is making the cut...because she damn sure ain't got a chance at winning it.

C&CDean
6/6/2006, 09:31 AM
It just seems like our grapes to me form a bunch of men trying to protect their territory. It's the PGA tour, not the Mens PGA tour.

Just because she has a boatload of talent and it's being marketed by Nike is not a reason to bag on her, IMO. Same thing was being said of TW at 17. He didn't belong, blah blah blah.

Dude, at 17 TW had a mantle full of trophies. He won everything he played in. He proved himself on the amateur circuit.

You just must have something for asian chicks.

soonernation
6/6/2006, 09:40 AM
NOT....she finshed 59th out of 183...not quite 90%...but who gives a damn. She just proved that she doesn't belong.

I think he meant the 9000-10000 entries to qualify for the US Open.

yermom
6/6/2006, 10:05 AM
it's the OPEN

if you have the numbers you can try to qualify

she didn't. oh well. maybe next year

i don't see why the lack of a penis has anything to do with it

OU4LIFE
6/6/2006, 10:09 AM
I think he meant the 9000-10000 entries to qualify for the US Open.

Ding.

It's not like this was the only qualifier.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 10:38 AM
Why can't we bash a 16 year old?

GottaHavePride
6/6/2006, 11:03 AM
Michelle Wie (http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.shtml)?

sooneron
6/6/2006, 12:42 PM
I think this whole thing is indicative of a few sad statements on what this country has come to represent.
1. Parents living vicariously through their kids and pushing them into situations that they are ill equipped to deal with. The Williams' sisters are doing what these days?
2. Kids trying to grow up too fast and America being too PC to tell them no. No one tells their kid, no nearly enough these days (you f'ing hillbillies aside). They always want to grow up too fast and there is way too much accomodation. Little 9 year girls dress like sluts and they are patted on the back for it and told how cute they are trying to look like Paris or Britney. Michelle needs to learn to crawl before she walks and her daddy is putting her out there way too fast. Am I glad she missed the cut? Yes. Not b/c she's a woman, but b/c she is Guanr-an-teed to not play on the weekend. The Open requires a grueling mental game and she doesn't have it yet.

I realize the Open is a great thing where anyone with a 4 or better can try for it, but I'd rather see a driving range golf pro from Solame Texas qualify before the little hype machine that embodies the I want to now daddy! that permeates America.

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2006, 12:49 PM
I think this whole thing is indicative of a few sad statements on what this country has come to represent.
1. Parents living vicariously through their kids and pushing them into situations that they are ill equipped to deal with. The Williams' sisters are doing what these days?
2. Kids trying to grow up too fast and America being too PC to tell them no. No one tells their kid, no nearly enough these days (you f'ing hillbillies aside). They always want to grow up too fast and there is way too much accomodation. Little 9 year girls dress like sluts and they are patted on the back for it and told how cute they are trying to look like Paris or Britney. Michelle needs to learn to crawl before she walks and her daddy is putting her out there way too fast. Am I glad she missed the cut? Yes. Not b/c she's a woman, but b/c she is Guanr-an-teed to not play on the weekend. The Open requires a grueling mental game and she doesn't have it yet.

I realize the Open is a great thing where anyone with a 4 or better can try for it, but I'd rather see a driving range golf pro from Solame Texas qualify before the little hype machine that embodies the I want to now daddy! that permeates America.
YMSSRA

Mjcpr
6/6/2006, 12:53 PM

Retired by their early 20's and basking in their millions?

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:00 PM
Retired by their early 20's and basking in their millions?

Yeah, just because you don't pay attention to women's tennis doesn't mean they aren't dominating anymore. Sharapova is good, but the Williams' are still among the best. Plus, they're not THAT young, are they?

Mjcpr
6/6/2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, just because you don't pay attention to women's tennis doesn't mean they aren't dominating anymore. Sharapova is good, but the Williams' are still among the best. Plus, they're not THAT young, are they?

Point being they're set for life at an early age. But I'm pretty sure they aren't dominating anymore.

Mjcpr
6/6/2006, 01:03 PM
Serena will be 25 this year, Venus will be 26 later this month.

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2006, 01:12 PM
They are not in "the Top" anymore. According to USTA here are the top 5

TOP AMERICAN WOMEN IN THE 2006 USTA PRO CIRCUIT*1) Lilia Osterloh (77.5)2) Tiffany Dabek (59.5)3) Laura Granville (49.5)4) Jessica Kirkland (40.5)5) Angela Haynes (39.5)

And for the WTA (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/rankings/singles_numeric.asp) Venus is 13th...I didn't even see Serena on list.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:16 PM
Serena only had one or two really good years IIRC. Honestly, their power and speed style of play was only meant to win a lot for a short period of time. Once the other girls got used to the speed, they let the Williams' own mistakes kill them.

Scott D
6/6/2006, 02:26 PM
They are not in "the Top" anymore. According to USTA here are the top 5

TOP AMERICAN WOMEN IN THE 2006 USTA PRO CIRCUIT*1) Lilia Osterloh (77.5)2) Tiffany Dabek (59.5)3) Laura Granville (49.5)4) Jessica Kirkland (40.5)5) Angela Haynes (39.5)

And for the WTA (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/rankings/singles_numeric.asp) Venus is 13th...I didn't even see Serena on list.

I don't think Serena has played enough matches this year to qualify...they've both been injured a lot over the past few years. Serena's pretty much been shelved with injuries for the last year and a half. One could argue that she wasn't taking tennis that seriously in the year prior as well.

sooneron
6/6/2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah, just because you don't pay attention to women's tennis doesn't mean they aren't dominating anymore.
Yeah, that's a pretty general statement to make to someone that goes to Flushing (US Open) on pretty much a yearly basis.
Mighty assumptive