PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa restaurant review: Ted's Cafe Escondido in BA

Okla-homey
6/3/2006, 06:22 AM
New Tex-Mex eatery on 71st in Broken Arrow based on the legendary Ted's in OKC.

Took Mrs Homey, Homeydaughter and her friend their last night. The joint was packed. We waited about an hour in the bar for our table. As an aside another vet and I bought a round of drinks for three young Marine reservists and their dates who were spending their last weekend at home before shipping out for the mean streets of Iraq. For me, that was the high point...but I digress.

The service was excellent, the portions were large, the pre-meal setups (salsa, queso, relish, chips, tortillas) were good, and the "free" sopapillas for dessert were pretty tasty. The house salsa was plain, but I asked for some hotter. They obliged with their "atomic" - not as hot as it sounds, but it had a good flavor. (I prefer fire-roasted tomato salsa)

The atmosphere is good.

The prices are a bit on the high side for Tex-Mex, but a lot is included (see setups and sopapillas). You will NOT leave hungry. We brought boxes home with our left-overs.

The quality of the food is "muey bueno," but not "magnifico." For years, I've heard OKC residents rave about this restaurant as a point of pride of their city. I've never been to Ted's in OKC so I can't comment on that one but Ted's in BA is good -- but prolly not good enough to create a city wide buzz.

Anyway, I recommend Ted's to Tulsa and BA diners, but I do not recommend the 2-3 hour wait people have been experiencing in the evening. Like I said, we only waited an hour but we have heard horror stories about much longer waits.

OUAndy1807
6/3/2006, 08:17 AM
In my opinion, the food at Ted's is good (not great), but the tortillas and atomic salsa are worth the trip alone. Also, I've enjoyed it a lot more since I figured out that I can get mashed potatoes and corn (both with green chile) in lieu of the beans and rice.

reevie
6/3/2006, 10:17 AM
My big disappointment with Ted's is they don't marinate the meat. If there was a little spice or flavor in the food it just might kick Ted's from good to great.

My wife and I have decided that getting take-out from Ted's is a pretty good deal. Not only do you get all the food, but you don't have to wait the hour or two to get a table.

yermom
6/3/2006, 10:23 AM
Reevie, try the Best Mexican Tacos

YWIA

and the corn and pappas are lots better than beans and rice

if the waits stay like that, they probably need to open more locations :)

the one in Edmond and the one in SW OKC both still have waits, but they are usually a lot shorter