PDA

View Full Version : The best dinner in the world

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 08:57 PM
I have just had it. Namely, my most excellent grilled ribeye steaks coupled with my wife's veggies (today, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli).

Ribeye spice rub: extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper.

Grill over a hot fire 5 minutes per side for medium (based on a 1 inch thick cut; vary to desired doneness). OOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

:les: THIS RMFO!!!!!!!!!!

Pair it with your favorite Cabernet.

I am now off to enjoy the dregs of said Cabernet with an Excalibur No. 1. Save me; I may die of happiness. :D

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 09:10 PM
I have a few MRE's left over if you're REAL HONGRY. :D

jacru
6/2/2006, 09:10 PM
... is one I didn't have to cook. :D

walkoffsooner
6/2/2006, 09:22 PM
Glad your happy.You deserve it.

OklahomaTuba
6/2/2006, 09:24 PM
Is a dinner @ Mahoganies.

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 09:54 PM
bump, you fooz :D

proud gonzo
6/2/2006, 10:56 PM
Pair it with your favorite Cabinet.

I don't think that'd taste very good

King Crimson
6/2/2006, 11:48 PM
try rubbing the steak with a peeled whole clove of garlic and skip the powder.

but, by all means, if it ain't broke....

handcrafted
6/3/2006, 10:44 AM
I've actually done the thing where you slice open the beef and stick cloves of garlic in the holes. You need a pretty big cut of meat to make it work, though, and it's a lot of work to do it right.

Boarder
6/3/2006, 11:13 AM
What's an Excalibur No 1?

Partial Qualifier
6/3/2006, 11:14 AM
you gonna eat your fat??

SoonerWood
6/3/2006, 12:10 PM
For me, the best dinner in the world involves either venison or dove.

Vaevictis
6/3/2006, 01:32 PM
A good seafood gumbo is by far my favorite.

IronSooner
6/3/2006, 02:02 PM
garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli

These are what I was looking for after hovering on the thread confirmed that steak was the primary dish. I am thus forced to agree with you, envy you, and continue eating the same bachelor crap I always do.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/3/2006, 02:18 PM
I'm with you aside from the broccoli.

My best dinner doesn't really include anything green.

Vaevictis
6/3/2006, 03:08 PM
I am thus forced to agree with you, envy you, and continue eating the same bachelor crap I always do.

Dude, how hard is it to throw something on the stove and cook something if you're tired of the "same bachelor crap?" :)

Easy and awesome dinners:

New York Strips steaks cut thin. Crush garlic, rub steaks. Squeeze one lemon into a container. Marinate steaks in lemon juice with crushed garlic overnight. 30 minutes will do if you don't want to wait, but overnight results in melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. Pan fry in olive oil. Salt to taste.

Add side dishes as you desire. I'm a big fan of rice -- 1.5 cups rice, 2.25 cups water; bring to boil, boil until water level is at rice level; set to low heat, cover, cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat, let sit 10 minutes -- you'll notice that this prepares nicely in the same time as the minimum marinade time.

I also recommend Betty Crocker Instant Mashed Potatoes (the two-bags-perp-box kind) which are very good, or Zataran's Black Beans and Rice. These also have the same propery as regular rice in that they can be prepared during the marinade time.

Another easy and awesome dinner:

Make spaghetti noodles. Chop garlic. Toss olive oil in a pan, fry up the garlic until it's about to turn golden brown. Toss in noodles, fry with garlic. Toss in other fixin's as you desire -- red sauce, olives, veggies, prosciutto, etc.

(can prep garlic and fixin's while noodles are boiling)

Also, Berber farms makes nice stuffed chicken breasts in the frozen section. Good chicken kiev and chicken cordon blue. Also has a brocolli cheese one, but I haven't tried it. Microwave for about three minutes, then toss in the oven for about 30.

(you'll notice that I'm big on parallel cooking here, all of these multi-course meals can be tossed together in about 35 minutes or less)

Hamhock
6/3/2006, 03:21 PM
Ribeye spice rub: extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper.

specific recipe/quantities??

handcrafted
6/3/2006, 03:39 PM
What's an Excalibur No 1?

A cigar. A very nice, well made cigar. :D

handcrafted
6/3/2006, 03:40 PM
I'm with you aside from the broccoli.

My best dinner doesn't really include anything green.

Don't poop much, do you? :D

handcrafted
6/3/2006, 03:43 PM
specific recipe/quantities??

I just do it to taste. Dip the steak in the olive oil, and then dust each side with the spices. The amount depends on the size of the steak so it's hard to be specific. For a medium sized ribeye, start with a half tsp. salt and pepper per side, and 1/4 tsp garlic and onion powder per side. Adjust the cayenne according to the appendage you want blown off. :D

IronSooner
6/3/2006, 03:55 PM
Dude, how hard is it to throw something on the stove and cook something if you're tired of the "same bachelor crap?" :)

You'd be amazed at how damn lazy I am. 30min is about the max time I'll spend on something, and I don't really do "ingredients"...I won't buy lettuce or individual crap like that at the store just to combine with something else. Fruit is my ideal food - it comes in its own wrapper and all you have to do is peel and eat. Pure genius. It also don't have the best sense of taste, so I can eat about anything without tiring of it. But I do appreciate a good homecooked steak dinner.

Those 2-package-per-box mashed potatoes are pretty good...the garlic kind anyway. Garlic mashed potatoes RMFO.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/3/2006, 04:00 PM

I get a lot of reading done in there if that's what you mean.

Vaevictis
6/3/2006, 04:03 PM

I guess that explains why Beano is so full of sh...

oh wait, best not **** of an admin, eh?

Vaevictis
6/3/2006, 04:09 PM
30min is about the max time I'll spend on something

In fact, I am right now eating the Chicken Kiev and Mashed Potatos. Total prep time was about 25 minutes.

IronSooner
6/3/2006, 04:11 PM
In fact, I am right now eating the Chicken Kiev and Mashed Potatos. Total prep time was about 25 minutes.

Do you deliver?

Vaevictis
6/3/2006, 04:12 PM
Do you deliver?

For the right price, yes, but you could probably get much better food for much less elsewhere.

Jimminy Crimson
6/3/2006, 04:20 PM
30min is about the max time I'll spend on something

May I introduce you to one Rachael Ray. :cool:

IronSooner
6/3/2006, 04:34 PM
May I introduce you to one Rachael Ray. :cool:

I would appreciate it. So far she's declined my offers to cook for me.

Jimminy Crimson
6/3/2006, 04:41 PM
...cook for me...

That's all you wanted her to do? ;)

IronSooner
6/3/2006, 04:44 PM
That's all you wanted her to do? ;)

I figured it was an "in" given her show, books, etc. Even the journey of 1000 miles must begin with a single step.