PDA

View Full Version : I am no good and lazy

Jerk
6/2/2006, 08:53 PM
(worthless post of the day...will probably get zero responses)

I pull up to unload today at one of our plants, and It is 90 degrees outside, sunny, very warm. The ground is still muddy from the downpour we received yesterday. To the right of my truck is one of the owners, worth at least several million dollars, and he's in a ditch with a shovel. I sit in my icy air conditioned truck in amazement. My air conditioner would make any good woman (like my wife) complain, because it will frost the interior. Cold is comfort, but I can't explain that to her. Ahh...nice and comfy. Sorry, I digress...My company has around 300 employees, and here is one of the owners shoveling mud in a ditch. Now to my point: If I was a multi-millionaire and owned a large company, it would be someone else's a** in the ditch. Poor guy. I wanted to explain this to him but I didn't know how he'd react? I'm what they call an 'exempt' employee...I don't do hourly work. So I danged sure wasn't going to do it.

That's all I really had to say. Sorry I wasted your time.

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 09:03 PM
Jerk! :D

jacru
6/2/2006, 09:06 PM
If you're a millionaire, you can choose if you want to be in a ditch. If you're his hourly worker, you can't.

Octavian
6/2/2006, 09:07 PM
I love me some icy air conditioning too.

IB4OU2
6/2/2006, 09:14 PM
(worthless post of the day...will probably get zero responses)

I pull up to unload today at one of our plants, and It is 90 degrees outside, sunny, very warm. The ground is still muddy from the downpour we received yesterday. To the right of my truck is one of the owners, worth at least several million dollars, and he's in a ditch with a shovel. I sit in my icy air conditioned truck in amazement. My air conditioner would make any good woman (like my wife) complain, because it will frost the interior. Cold is comfort, but I can't explain that to her. Ahh...nice and comfy. Sorry, I digress...My company has around 300 employees, and here is one of the owners shoveling mud in a ditch. Now to my point: If I was a multi-millionaire and owned a large company, it would be someone else's a** in the ditch. Poor guy. I wanted to explain this to him but I didn't know how he'd react? I'm what they call an 'exempt' employee...I don't do hourly work. So I danged sure wasn't going to do it.

That's all I really had to say. Sorry I wasted your time.

Maybe his work ethic made him what he is today. I have a really good friend who is one of my best friends in fact who's worth millions several times over. He came over to my house last weekend to pickup a large tree I had cut up and that fell from a storm we had. He wanted it for fire wood and he worked half a day loading it and hauling it off. Next week he's flying to New Zealand to flyfish.

walkoffsooner
6/2/2006, 09:21 PM
Its not a money issue.It's just being a decent human being.

soonerboomer93
6/2/2006, 10:16 PM
that might explain alot.

:D

OCUDad
6/2/2006, 10:19 PM
Ever wonder why so many really wealthy people are still working? Because 9 times out of 10, that's what got them there. I know a ton of people who say "if I were worth millions, I'd never work again." Not one of them is worth millions. Or ever will be.

SoonerBorn68
6/2/2006, 10:27 PM
Its not a money issue.It's just being a decent human being.

I love my job. Rig hands get to swealter in the heat or freeze in the cold, but either way I sit in my trailer and monitor the computer 90% of the time. Decent human being? --not in my job description. I love saying "that's not my job"! :D

Sooner24
6/2/2006, 11:50 PM
It was probably a test. He was going to give half the company to the first guy that came over and took over for him in the ditch. :D

olevetonahill
6/3/2006, 02:10 AM
He got there by working his azz off . not sitting under an AC saying "It aint my job" ;)
And as has been said ,He will STAY there :cool:

Jerk
6/3/2006, 05:30 AM
He got there by working his azz off . not sitting under an AC saying "It aint my job" ;)
And as has been said ,He will STAY there :cool:

ACtually, the company was passed down to him and his siblings. They're good people, though, and great to work for.

ps- We need to figure out something soon with this bird. Heck, i'd take it out to you but the cage will not fit in my Wrangler.

slickdawg
6/3/2006, 07:27 AM
cold AC ROOLZ!

StoopTroup
6/3/2006, 09:54 AM
The old rule of never asking your employees to do somethiing you wouldn't do yourself might apply in this guys case Jerk.

Sounds like he was testing you to see if you would get out and help him IMO.

:D

usmc-sooner
6/3/2006, 12:17 PM
People say I'm no-good,
And crazy as a loon.
I get stoned in the morning,
I get drunk in the afternoon.
Kinda like my old blue tick hound,
I like to lay around in the shade,
An', I ain't got no money,
But I damn sure got it made.

'Cos I ain't askin' nobody for nothin',
If I can't get it on my own.
If you don't like the way I'm livin',
You just leave this long-haired country boy alone

Jerk
6/3/2006, 12:25 PM
I love Charlie Daniels!

OCUDad
6/4/2006, 10:51 AM
And he loves you, too. :eek:

TUSooner
6/4/2006, 12:53 PM
Ever wonder why so many really wealthy people are still working? Because 9 times out of 10, that's what got them there. I know a ton of people who say "if I were worth millions, I'd never work again." Not one of them is worth millions. Or ever will be.
Theres more wisdom in this post than there has been on the entrie SO for the past week or more. A little aside: Peter the Great is the father of the Russian Navy. He started building that navy with his own two hands, literally. He learned shipbuilding like any apprentice and even as Czar, never was afraid to pick up the workman's tools and work alongside the humblest laborer.

And usmc - "Long Haired Country Boy" used to be my theme lo these many years ago. I am still not a millionaire. :rolleyes: :D

Jerk
6/4/2006, 01:03 PM
Just want to say a few things - first off, I don't get paid by the hour and if I did, and was doing nothing else, I would have helped. Second, by not getting paid to get in the ditch and me jumping in there with a shovel, getting all muddy (so I could jump back in a $100,000 truck afterwards) just to kiss up to the boss would have gotten me negspek from my fellow employees..and probably the boss him self. He probably would have been like, "WTF are you doing? Trying to kiss my *** because I'm an owner?"

The reason I posted this is because I really admire these people and like working for them- not because I thought I was too good for that kind of work - which I know it sounded that way. I can get dirty, just don't want to if I don't need to. If he's p!ssed off at me for not helping then I will know by late fall when I don't get to hunt on their family land.

And someone please explain why women hate air conditioner. My wife does.

Scott D
6/4/2006, 01:10 PM
thin blood.

StoopTroup
6/4/2006, 02:57 PM
My Daddy told me to get a good education or I might end up digging ditches.

I am confused now.

I was thinking of starting my own business someday but if I'm gonna have to dig ditches....

Out.