PDA

View Full Version : Great, my 50 inch Dell plasma TV just went in the crapper

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 05:35 PM
Turned off for no reason. And wont turn back on. Apparently, Dell has had a few power supply problems with their plasmas:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dce_W1700LCD

Lovely.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2006, 05:36 PM
my 15 year old 19 inch RCA still works just fine. :O

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 05:45 PM
HAHAHAHAAA.......... I think I might revert back to the trusty old cathode ray tube.

Mjcpr
6/2/2006, 05:45 PM
HAHAHAHAAA.......... I think I might revert back to the trusty old cathode ray tube.

Dude, don't do it. It's so much easier to pee like you do now.

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 05:54 PM
Dude, don't do it. It's so much easier to pee like you do now.

I think I might pee on the plasma now.

Jimminy Crimson
6/2/2006, 05:56 PM
Could be b/c it's a Dell. :O

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2006, 05:59 PM
Relax alright, my old man is a TV repair man, he has an ultimate set of tools.

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 06:02 PM

You'd think it would be a good TV. They make pretty good computers. You'd think this would translate to makding good plasma tv. Apparently not, according to that message board.

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 06:03 PM
Turned off for no reason. And wont turn back on. Apparently, Dell has had a few power supply problems with their plasmas:

Lovely.

Last month I blew up one of my epic JBL floor speakers. So neener. :O

musta been that death metal cd...

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2006, 06:04 PM
Dood, You got a Dell!
http://www.tvacres.com/images/dell_dude3a.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/2/2006, 06:05 PM
In our cafeteria here at The Circle H Ranch we have a ginormous flatscreen TV. A few months ago it died and everyone's all 'WTF happened to the TV :mad:'...

Motherboard burnt up.

Who makes the MBs for our TVs?

We do.

D'OH!!!

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 06:06 PM
In our cafeteria here at The Circle H Ranch we have a ginormous flatscreen TV. A few months ago it died and everyone's all 'WTF happened to the TV :mad:'...

Motherboard burnt up.

Who makes the MBs for our TVs?

We do.

D'OH!!!

BSG work for HP?

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/2/2006, 06:07 PM
Kinda - heh. We're their OEM for their giant storage systems. Sun Microsystems, too...

And no, it's not the Japanese company that makes those little grills...:D

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 06:11 PM
Kinda - heh. We're their OEM for their giant storage systems. Sun Microsystems, too...

Oh, gotcha. When you said Circle H, I just thought of the wrong electronics company that starts with 'H'. :O

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/2/2006, 06:12 PM
:les: HAI!!!

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2006, 06:13 PM
They make pretty good computers. http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/1/C/clinton_laughing.jpg
"Me and Dell tell lies and people believe them!"

bri
6/2/2006, 06:14 PM
Great, my 50 inch Dell plasma TV just went in the crapper

Isn't it supposed to go on your wall?

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 06:15 PM
:les: HAI!!!

As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to watch "Tora Tora Tora" on DVD...on my 8 year old Toshiba CRT TV that still works...oh, the irony just knocks me out...

:D

Okla-homey
6/2/2006, 06:20 PM

Lovely.

Hope you saved the original box and shipping materials.:(

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/2/2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah.

Underneath all the pointing and laughing you'd expect from us - that really does succ.

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah.

Underneath all the pointing and laughing you'd expect from us - that really does succ.Hon, I've been been warning people about Dell for years here, austin texass company.

TUSooner
6/2/2006, 06:32 PM
So what's next? The Rolls goes in the shop? Or your pool man gets the maid pregnant?
;)

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 06:39 PM
So what's next? The Rolls goes in the shop? Or your pool man gets the maid pregnant?
;)

HAHAHAHA........ Actually it was one nice "upgrade" I got from the hurricane. Thank God I had flood insurance.

"Butler, the tea is COLD!!!"

bri
6/2/2006, 06:40 PM
Do you have sub-standard electronics insurance? ;)

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 06:45 PM

Lovely.

That's what you get for stealing slickdaughter's tv, you twisted bastard.

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 06:46 PM

LSI Logic?

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 06:49 PM
StorageTek?

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 06:49 PM
Engenio?

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 06:54 PM
Q Logic?

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 06:55 PM
ADIC?

bri
6/2/2006, 06:58 PM
Initech?

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 07:01 PM
Initech?

Gotta be it.

walkoffsooner
6/2/2006, 09:41 PM
Are your lights still on?

jps
6/2/2006, 09:48 PM

:D

Vaevictis
6/2/2006, 10:31 PM

Could be, but that's not the only possible reason. Modern electronics just don't last like they used to.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a CRT television that will last 10-20 years these days; that used to be the norm.

You can almost always tell what kind of life you should expect from a device's warranty. Most electronic devices have a period of time where they're fine, then abruptly have a failure rate that increases dramatically. The warranty usually ends just a few months before that point. :/ While it varies by device, I expect that there will be at least a 25% chance of failure of the device within the first 6 months of the end of warranty.

scaldeddawg
6/2/2006, 10:40 PM

Dang, I knew I forgot to pay something......

Czar Soonerov
6/2/2006, 10:40 PM
Great, my 50 inch Dell plasma TV just went in the crapper.

Cool, I like to watch Lost while I'm taking a :twinkies: too.

85Sooner
6/3/2006, 09:52 AM
No Comment

Oldnslo
6/3/2006, 10:34 AM
No Comment
Damn.

I read the whole thread just to see what you'd say. I thought there'd be "oh that's actually made by the XYZCO and you just need to adjust the Figowitz wire to make everything work spiffy-keen".

Instead, it's "No Comment".

Guess it's time to get out the mallet and chisel and work on the plasma screen.

85Sooner
6/3/2006, 10:43 AM
Damn.

I read the whole thread just to see what you'd say. I thought there'd be "oh that's actually made by the XYZCO and you just need to adjust the Figowitz wire to make everything work spiffy-keen".

Instead, it's "No Comment".

Guess it's time to get out the mallet and chisel and work on the plasma screen.

Its interesting that most of dells tv offerings are for refurbished products. We tell people that but alot don't listen. Those cheap ones are cheap for a reason. The margins are not that great on the Major brands so that has to say something. Although there is one thing that could help. Unplug the set for 30 minutes then try it again. Sound weird I know but works an awful lot of the time. Good luck.

Cam
6/3/2006, 08:26 PM
You'd think it would be a good TV. They make pretty good computers. You'd think this would translate to makding good plasma tv. Apparently not, according to that message board.
I bought a Sony for a reason.

Cam
6/3/2006, 08:28 PM
Hon, I've been been warning people about Dell for years here, austin texass company.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Dell's feeding quite a few Okies now. Will soon have over 2K employees in OKC.

OUinFLA
6/3/2006, 08:31 PM
Great, my 50 inch Dell plasma TV just went in the crapper

you must have an exceptionally large toilet?

and I assume an exceptionally larger butt?

slickdawg
6/3/2006, 08:53 PM
you must have an exceptionally large toilet?

and I assume an exceptionally larger butt?

He's 5'9" and all ***.

Okla-homey
6/3/2006, 08:53 PM
Although there is one thing that could help. Unplug the set for 30 minutes then try it again. Sound weird I know but works an awful lot of the time. Good luck.

Yep. Even on multi-kagillion dollar avionics, the techs always asked one question first before they loaded up in their vehicle and rolled out to the jet: "Sir, have you tried recycling the power?" (which is military for turning it off, letting it cool-off and then turning it back on.):D

If it came back, they launched us.

OUinFLA
6/3/2006, 08:55 PM
Yep. Even on multi-kagillion dollar avionics, the techs always asked one question first before they loaded up in their vehicle and rolled out to the jet: "Sir, have you tried recycling the power?" (which is military for turning it off, letting it cool-off and then turning it back on.):D

If it came back, they launched us.

Is this standard proceedure at mach 1.5 and 10K feet?

Okla-homey
6/3/2006, 09:02 PM
Is this standard proceedure at mach 1.5 and 10K feet?

More like .98 mach at 400', but no, we'd disable TFR and climb to IFR altitude before we did any power recycling.;) Sometimes it was something simple like a blown fuse or popped circuit breaker. We all carried an assortment of fuses in our bags just for that purpose. I have flown home on occasion literally with one finger on a circuit breaker forcing it closed...I don't recommend it. There is usually smoke involved.

OUinFLA
6/3/2006, 09:04 PM
Have you ever thought about a career with Delta?

Okla-homey
6/3/2006, 09:05 PM
Have you ever thought about a career with Delta?

bus driving ain't for me.