PDA

View Full Version : Hot For Teacher, Part 3,274

BeetDigger
6/2/2006, 11:22 AM
And yet, another one. Given that the guy was 18, she probably felt that it was ok.

Miss Texas Contestant (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/060206dnmethebron.43e83812.html)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-06/0602amy.jpg

Student alleges sex with teacher
Lewisville ISD: Former Miss Texas contestant faces felony charge

11:01 PM CDT on Thursday, June 1, 2006
By BRANDON FORMBY / The Dallas Morning News

A first-year Hebron High School teacher and former Miss Texas contestant faces up to 20 years in jail after an 18-year-old student told police he had sex with the 25-year-old woman several times at her apartment in Austin Ranch.

Amy McElhenney, who taught Spanish and was a cross-country coach at the Lewisville ISD school in Carrollton, is charged with having an improper relationship with a student, a second-degree felony. She was arrested on May 25, the last day of school, posted $5,000 bail and was released.

Amy McElhenney Ms. McElhenney could not be reached for comment. The student's identity was not released.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, another student sent an anonymous note last month to Hebron's resource police officer that indicated Ms. McElhenney's cellphone contained "intimate" text messages to and from the 18-year-old.

When police interviewed Ms. McElhenney at the school, she allowed them to view the text messages.

"Messages that were on there led us to believe there was a little bit more going on between the teacher and this student," said Carrollton police Sgt. David Sponhour.

In an affidavit, a Carrollton police officer said the messages "constitute a flirtatious and endearing relationship" between Ms. McElhenney and the student.

While Ms. McElhenney denied having a physical or sexual relationship with the teen, she told police she felt their relationship was inappropriate, police said.

When interviewed at home, however, the student gave police a written statement in which he said he and Ms. McElhenney had sex on "numerous occasions" at her apartment. He told police their alleged relationship began in February.

Ms. McElhenney was charged under a law that outlaws sexual relationships between educators and students even if the sex is consensual and the student is of legal age.

In Texas, the age of consent is 17.

Proponents of the law have said it sends the message that even older teenagers should not be considered capable of consenting to sex with a teacher, especially since educators have power over their students.

Others, however, have said that while the law's intent may be good, it should contain different provisions for different ages and distinguish between students who do and don't consent.

The law took effect Sept. 1, 2003. Between then and the end of 2005, five Texas teachers were convicted and sent to prison under the law.

Three Garland school district teachers were arrested under the law in 2005 and accused of having sexual relationships with students. One also was charged with two counts of indecency with a child because the student was underage.

The Lewisville school district placed Ms. McElhenney on paid administrative leave May 11.

In March she turned in a resignation form that went into effect May 25.

Officials said she indicated she was not returning to Hebron because she was taking a teaching position in another district, though they were unclear on what district that is.

School officials said they alerted the state certification board of the investigation and her arrest.

Ms. McElhenney was scheduled to teach a Spanish course at a summer camp program in Corsicana, where she was hired as a contract employee after being selected to teach the course for 7- to 12-year-olds by the Navarro Council of the Arts.

"In light of the information, we'll either find another instructor or cancel the program," said Connie Standridge, Corsicana's city manager.

According to the Miss Texas Web site, Ms. McElhenney competed in the scholarship pageant in 2002 as Miss Bexar County when she was a student at the University of Texas at Austin.

IronSooner
6/2/2006, 11:26 AM
Obligatory "Why didn't that happen to me when I was in HS/We didn't have hot teachers that put out when I was in HS" comment.

NormanPride
6/2/2006, 11:31 AM
...was a student at the University of Texas at Austin.

Well, that explains everything, really.

mrowl
6/2/2006, 11:31 AM
myspace link

http://www.myspace.com/amylittlemac

http://www.misstexas.org/images/2002/thumbs/03.jpg

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2006, 11:36 AM
this story just proves how stupid teenage boys are.....

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 11:39 AM
Obligatory "Why didn't that happen to me when I was in HS/We didn't have hot teachers that put out when I was in HS" comment.

no s**t!

tulsaoilerfan
6/2/2006, 12:20 PM
So in Texas a teacher can't boink their students even if the student is of age? Doesn't that strike anyone else as kinda odd? Not saying it's okay, just seems odd to me

Mjcpr
6/2/2006, 12:22 PM
myspace link

She looks like Miss Yvonne.

(Spek if you know the movie)

royalfan5
6/2/2006, 12:25 PM
this story just proves how stupid teenage boys are.....
I don't see how the teenage boy loses out of this, he got laid, with an attractive teacher, and she won't be able to go all psycho on him from prison. He's not going to jail, and probably picked up some valuable experience.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/2/2006, 12:29 PM
She looks like Miss Yvonne.

(Spek if you know the movie)

I love Pee Wee.

Now spek me.

slickdawg
6/2/2006, 12:30 PM
I love Pee Wee.

Now spek me.

k1nky

Mjcpr
6/2/2006, 12:38 PM
k1nky

She just calls it that like somebody might call a big, burly guy "Tiny".

Jimminy Crimson
6/2/2006, 12:39 PM
myspace link

Dude, she's 14! ;)

Okla-homey
6/2/2006, 12:43 PM
sooo, it was the text messages that took her down. See what can happen when you type or write stuff?

Mjcpr
6/2/2006, 12:44 PM
sooo, it was the text messages that took her down. See what can happen when you type or write stuff?

I think it was the Budweiser but you could be right.

walkoffsooner
I had sex with a teacher several times in high school but she never found out.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

no, i think that was the student

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2006, 12:47 PM
In Texas, the age of consent is 7.

If it be yer cuzin (http://marge.uvm.edu/sdempse/jokes/texas.htm)

yermom
6/2/2006, 12:53 PM
I don't see how the teenage boy loses out of this, he got laid, with an attractive teacher, and she won't be able to go all psycho on him from prison. He's not going to jail, and probably picked up some valuable experience.

yeah, she was probably starting to get all clingy and stuff :P

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2006, 01:28 PM

dont be so simple in your thoughts

lay the hot teacher once...great

keep your mouth SHUT, lay the hot teacher repeatedly

TexasLidig8r
6/2/2006, 01:30 PM
Some enterprising criminal defense attorney in Texas is going to get some quality publicity representing this one. Challenge the law on constitutional grounds. Taking it all the way up to the Supremes.

Lesson to young female teachers in Texas... if you want to engage in some in flagrante delecto with your students... log on to soonerfans.com and hit up on Stan the Man. He's legal and looks about the same age as most high school seniors!

(That was said with begrudging respect and envy Stan)

royalfan5
6/2/2006, 01:31 PM
dont be so simple in your thoughts

lay the hot teacher once...great

keep your mouth SHUT, lay the hot teacher repeatedly
Maybe she was really annoying, and he needed to get rid of her. Without knowing his point of view it's diffucult to ascertain how stupid he was.

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2006, 01:37 PM
Maybe she was really annoying, and he needed to get rid of her. Without knowing his point of view it's diffucult to ascertain how stupid he was.

dude, he's 18........HE'S the annoying one

i doubt he was looking for some long term relationship....

mdklatt
6/2/2006, 01:47 PM
So in Texas a teacher can't boink their students even if the student is of age? Doesn't that strike anyone else as kinda odd? Not saying it's okay, just seems odd to me

It certainly shouldn't be a felony, and probably not even a crime at all. Lose your job? Hell yes. Go to jail? No way.

critical_phil
6/2/2006, 03:07 PM
Lesson to young female teachers in Texas... if you want to engage in some in flagrante delecto with your students... log on to soonerfans.com and hit up on Stan the Man. He's legal and looks about the same age as most high school seniors!

Stan, make sure you ask for a mercedes!!!

June 1, 2006
Boy, 16, Gets Mercedes, and Woman, 39, Faces Sex Charges

By BRUCE LAMBERT (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/bruce_lambert/index.html?inline=nyt-per)

GARDEN CITY, N.Y., May 31 — It was not exactly a discreet gift. When a 16-year-old high school student arrived home recently with a 2002 Mercedes-Benz, his mother demanded to know where he got it.
As the Nassau County Police recounted the episode, the youth said the car was a present from the mother of two teenage girls he knew, and added that he planned to work for her.

His mother was suspicious that something more was involved, so she called the police.

After an investigation, they accused the youth's benefactor, Lisa M. Frodella, 39, of Carle Place, of having had a series of sexual encounters with him. She was arrested on Wednesday on two counts of rape and two counts of criminal sexual acts, each count carrying a maximum penalty of four years in prison.

Ms. Frodella, who the police said was married and formerly worked in an import-export business, pleaded not guilty at arraignment in Nassau County's First District Court in Hempstead. Her lawyer, Michael DerGarabedian, said that her family was behind her and expected to post bail soon.

The police declined to identify the youth, saying he was the victim of a sex crime. He has since turned 17, the legal age of consent for sex with someone 21 or older, the police said.

Detective Lt. Kevin P. Smith said that Ms. Frodella became acquainted with the youth because he knew her daughters. "She started to groom him, giving him special attention and text-messaging him," and eventually they had encounters in motels, Lieutenant Smith said.

BeetDigger
6/2/2006, 03:09 PM
You should see the woman who bought the kid a Mercedes. If the picture that I saw of her was correct, she OWES him a Mercedes for doing that task. He should get a years free gas to boot. Years of therapy await the poor boy.

TexasLidig8r
6/2/2006, 03:13 PM
You should see the woman who bought the kid a Mercedes. If the picture that I saw of her was correct, she OWES him a Mercedes for doing that task. He should get a years free gas to boot. Years of therapy await the poor boy.

Never mind the pics.

Mjcpr
6/2/2006, 03:14 PM

http://static.flickr.com/55/158066368_0efd47df0f_t.jpg

Taxman71
6/2/2006, 03:19 PM
It certainly shouldn't be a felony, and probably not even a crime at all. Lose your job? Hell yes. Go to jail? No way.
I'm sure the state will claim that it is the equivalent to a prison guard having sex with a prisoner. Forget about age, it has something to do with using one's power and control, etc. for carnal pleasure. If it were not a no-intent crime, every female prisoner could claim consent and get some much needed man-love. Then again, prison guard applications would soar and Soonerfans would become a desert.

Grimey
6/2/2006, 03:23 PM
myspace link

:eek: :eek:
She's hotter than a June bride in a feather bed...

tulsaoilerfan
6/2/2006, 03:25 PM
I'm sure the state will claim that it is the equivalent to a prison guard having sex with a prisoner. Forget about age, it has something to do with using one's power and control, etc. for carnal pleasure. If it were not a no-intent crime, every female prisoner could claim consent and get some much needed man-love. Then again, prison guard applications would soar and Soonerfans would become a desert.
Unless she threatened to fail him unless he boinked her, i fail to see where power and control would be an issue in this case; hell back in my day, one of our coaches ended up marrying one of the students, and i think they are still married some 20 plus years later.

Taxman71
6/2/2006, 03:47 PM
I think it is "implied" power and control. The law essentially requires the teacher to quit being a teacher in order to have legal sex with a student over the age of consent. If the only punishment is getting fired, teachers will take the chance on not getting caught and, if caught, it is no different than if they quit before riding the hobbyhorse. It does seem odd for an 18 year old student, but the law is designed to protect kids so it's fine with me.

Besides, if you had an 18 year old hottie wanting to jump your bones, would you not be willing to quit your $28k/year job?

TexasLidig8r
6/2/2006, 04:02 PM
It does seem odd for an 18 year old student, but the law is designed to protect kids so it's fine with me.

Therein, lies the rub. At 18, in the judicial system, you are no longer a kid, but a consenting adult.

Suppose in the case in point, the teacher had first secretly married the student. The student is over the age of 18 so the marriage is legal and parental consent is not needed. Another student discovers the student and teacher are having sex and the teacher is ratted out.

The law as it currently exists, would be construed as preventing marital relations between consenting adults and in essence, makes into a felony, sexual relations between husband and wife.

This law may not stand judicial scrutiny.

BeetDigger
6/2/2006, 04:25 PM
Therein, lies the rub.

Unfortunately, I think that was her thought as well. :texan:

oumartin
6/2/2006, 04:30 PM
look, if she has sex with a 32 year old male will that cancel out the 18?
cuz i know where she can find a willin' partner :D

critical_phil
6/2/2006, 04:34 PM
hell back in my day, one of our coaches ended up marrying one of the students, and i think they are still married some 20 plus years later.

:O

your aren't from moore are you?

sounds like someone i know on mrs. critical's side of the family.....

Taxman71
6/2/2006, 04:49 PM
Therein, lies the rub. At 18, in the judicial system, you are no longer a kid, but a consenting adult.

Suppose in the case in point, the teacher had first secretly married the student. The student is over the age of 18 so the marriage is legal and parental consent is not needed. Another student discovers the student and teacher are having sex and the teacher is ratted out.

The law as it currently exists, would be construed as preventing marital relations between consenting adults and in essence, makes into a felony, sexual relations between husband and wife.

Again, the same result would occur if it were prison guard/prisoner instead of teacher/student. Age is not the issue, but one of relationship between the parties in which one party has implied control over the other party in a submissive position (no pun intended).

Who said the law has to be logical?

Okla-homey
6/2/2006, 06:28 PM

I dunno Lid, as you know, criminal statutes are pretty much a state matter for which the Supremes tend to give a lot of deference. I'd say as long as texass can show some rational basis for the law (which should be easy) the Federal courts will let it stand.

Now, that said, if her lawyer manages to insert some racial or gender based element into it, that might make overturning the state law a little more likely, but I still doubt it. Just my opinion mind you.

Scott D
6/2/2006, 06:30 PM
I think teachers schtupping high school students who are juniors or seniors getting busted is highly overrated. It goes on more than people think...you just hear about the dumb boys that tell the wrong people.

AlbqSooner
6/2/2006, 07:21 PM
Age is not the issue, but one of relationship between the parties in which one party has implied control over the other party in a submissive position (no pun intended).
That is why the Oklahoma Supreme Court issued an opinion in the '70s forbidding sex between a lawyer and client during the course of the representation. I think the holding was that it is unethical for a lawyer to screw a client - - - except in the pocketbook.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/2/2006, 10:09 PM

Think it has something to do with official abuse of powers, not age of consent.

Vaevictis
6/2/2006, 10:58 PM

Beh, shouldn't be a criminal offense by any stretch. It should be an ethics issue, and should be punishable by firing and or loss of license, but definately not jail time. (IMO)

Even if it was the teacher taking advantage of her position of power, AFAIK, sexual harassment alone is civil, not criminal. (except in those cases where it meets the requirement for other criminal offenses like rape)