PDA

View Full Version : Spelling Bee Championship

1stTimeCaller
6/2/2006, 11:01 AM
Does anyone care?

Is being a good speller that important in the world?

White House Boy
6/2/2006, 11:18 AM
Does anyone care?

Is being a good speller that important in the world?

Not reely.

Penguin
6/2/2006, 11:26 AM
Heel, know!

IronSooner
6/2/2006, 11:28 AM
Does anyone else think it's BS that they use German words? ursprache is German. Maybe it's been slightly co-opted, but it's a german word. They mentioned a few others the past couple days while the contest was going on. So now you need to not only learn Latin and Greek, but apparently German to compete. Stupid.

mdklatt
6/2/2006, 11:56 AM
Does anyone else think it's BS that they use German words? ursprache is German.

Aha--I knew it! Bastards. Total BS.

Also, what's a Canadian doing in our national spelling bee? They should have asked her to spell "color", "theater", or "check".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/2/2006, 12:01 PM
Aha--I knew it! Bastards. Total BS.

Also, what's a Canadian doing in our national spelling bee? They should have asked her to spell "color", "theater", or "check".It's the latest in PC. We're all now part of the country of NORTH AMERICA.
I surfed into the last few minutes of the bee, and was truly amazed at the words they had to spell. Don't believe I ever heard ANY of those words before.

proud gonzo
6/2/2006, 12:12 PM
i'm sorry, there are things called dictionaries and spell checkers. I have better things to do with my life.

tulsaoilerfan
6/2/2006, 12:15 PM
Does anyone else think it's BS that they use German words? ursprache is German. Maybe it's been slightly co-opted, but it's a german word. They mentioned a few others the past couple days while the contest was going on. So now you need to not only learn Latin and Greek, but apparently German to compete. Stupid.
Yeah, i wondered about that also, and i also wondered how anyone would know how to spell that word; do these kids study every word in the world?:confused:

1stTimeCaller
6/2/2006, 12:15 PM
so some of you actually watched it?

IronSooner
6/2/2006, 12:21 PM
Don't believe I ever heard ANY of those words before.

Because they barely qualify as real words. They only exist to stump middle-school kids in spelling bees. Otherwise you'd just say "parent language" and everybody would know what you're talking about without thinking you a pompous egotist.

Scott D
6/2/2006, 12:28 PM
So does the football forum have a thread bashing ABC for having the Spelling Bee in HD instead of College Football? :D

walkoffsooner
6/2/2006, 12:52 PM
I saw the winner on the new's said it was first girl ever to win.Having sex with teacher's really does pay off.

NormanPride
6/2/2006, 12:57 PM
doleo would pwn all of their punk asses.

Okla-homey
6/2/2006, 01:01 PM
They should have asked them to spell a few Oklahoma place names. I bet Ouchita, Kiamichi or Muskogee would have thrown 'em fer a loop.

NormanPride
6/2/2006, 01:08 PM
Ask them to spell "Dew-rant".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/2/2006, 01:19 PM
Ask them to spell "Dew-rant".How about Potowatamie?? and the Chickasha vs Chickasaw controversy?

walkoffsooner
6/2/2006, 01:21 PM
alex but prononce it elic

GDC
6/2/2006, 05:19 PM
so some of you actually watched it?

The muscleheads at the gym were glued to the screen yesterday.

lefty
6/2/2006, 05:52 PM

Old English is the name given to the germanic language spoken in the southern part of the island of Britain before the Norman Conquest in 1066 c.e. (and for about 100 years after the Conquest). This language is the ancestor of the Modern English spoken today, although it is quite different in appearance and sound at first glance.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/

proud gonzo
6/2/2006, 11:39 PM
The muscleheads at the gym were glued to the screen yesterday.

literally? like with crazy glue? because that would be awesome :D

OCUDad
6/2/2006, 11:48 PM
i'm sorry, there are things called dictionaries and spell checkers. I have better things to do with my life.Ewe wood bee amazed at watt a spell checker misses.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/2/2006, 11:56 PM
I just think they should get the Cheap Seat guys to do the commentary on ESPN classic while it is live ;)

GDC
6/3/2006, 02:13 PM
The Broken Arrow boy ended up in 30th place.