PDA

View Full Version : A few minutes after midnight

MamaMia
6/1/2006, 06:52 PM
...on the 30th, the 1st dog that I ever had, passed away. We enjoyed 15 years of making happy memories together. His name was Punky. He was a Lhasa Apso and one of my best friends.

I will miss him dearly.

walkoffsooner
6/1/2006, 07:06 PM
Sorry for your loss. I'm to attached to a dog right now.

SCOUT
6/1/2006, 07:07 PM
Losing a pet is hard indeed. Sorry to hear the bad news.

LilSooner
6/1/2006, 07:14 PM
Oh Mom! I'm so sorry. I have shih-tzu that will turn 16 in septemeber I am dredding the day that he leaves us. Just know that your little puppy loved you dearly.

Harry Beanbag
6/1/2006, 07:17 PM
Condolences. :(

BajaOklahoma
6/1/2006, 07:28 PM
I am so sorry for you. It's the hardest part of having a four-footed family member.

OhU1
6/1/2006, 07:47 PM
The family bassett hound is a month away from being 15. Bassett Hounds are only supposed to live to 10-12 years old. He has no hair on his huge ears, his tail, or much anywhere else anymore. He looks like Golum from the Lord of The Rings.

Damn dog still likes his food and wandering around the hood. He can't have much time left but he's almost imortal. 3 years ago my parents called saying "it didn't look good". Like the energizer bunny he keeps going.......

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 09:01 PM
Very sorry, Mom. :(

C&CDean
6/1/2006, 09:10 PM
This was your first dog? Wow. I remember when my first puppy died. Sambo (a little black lab who ate a bunch of fertilizer that poisoned him). I was about 6. If you feel as bad as I did, then you feel bad indeed. It'll get better......good luck.

Melo
6/1/2006, 09:13 PM
Very sorry, mom. :(

OCUDad
6/1/2006, 09:14 PM
Condolences.

OKC Sooner
6/1/2006, 09:15 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss, mom. I lost my good buddy a month ago, he was a miniature dachshund named Rascal and a loved member of the family. God bless our pets and the happy memories.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/1/2006, 10:28 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OUSAEmom again.

Sorry to hear about it. I still miss my puppies.

Okla-homey
6/1/2006, 10:30 PM
Dogs are the very definition of unconditional love. You were blessed to own him. Prescription: new puppy.

Tailwind
6/1/2006, 10:32 PM
That sucks. May he rest in peace and live on in your heart.

dolemitesooner
6/1/2006, 10:35 PM
Hang in there mom

Kimberlyz4OU
6/1/2006, 10:35 PM
As was he blessed to be loved by you and your family. I have a dachshund....little miss Allison (Ally), she will be 8 in June. I have nightmares about the day that she is no longer with us.

Dogs are people too. I'm so sorry......God Bless Him.

josh09
6/1/2006, 11:33 PM
just think of that movie, All Dogs Go to Heaven

that helped me

TheGodfather889
6/2/2006, 02:37 AM
Sorry for your loss. I have 2 dogs myself that I'm very attached to and even though they're fairly young I've had em for a good amount of time (they're 9 and 10). So when that dreaded day comes that both or even one is gone I think I'll be devastated. I love my dogs like they're my kids. I have 2 sons but my 2 dogs are like my 2 daughters.

OU4LIFE
6/2/2006, 06:58 AM
Condolences.

second

MamaMia
6/2/2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone. Little Punky always slept with me. It was really sad today when I woke up and remembered that he wasnt there to hug. Thats the first sleep I've had since he went to Heaven.

My little 4 yr. old Shih Tzu is really sad too. I finally had to feed him his nuggets and chicken breast by hand this morning. I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. She said with all the kids gone and Punky and Watson only having had each other as siblings that I have to get a new brother for Watson or else he will grieve himself sick.

Nobody could ever replace Punky.

BajaOklahoma
6/2/2006, 10:39 AM
Mom, you'll never replace Punky. You will just be getting a new friend to make new memories.
I still miss Maude - the Old English Sheepdog that I married my husband to get. According to the family anyway. She figured out how to empty the pottingshed contents - through a dog door. Rakes, hoes, bags of fertizer. She got the Halloween candy off of the dining table, leaving the pile of tootsie pop wrappers and stick in a neat pile on the floor. So many memories that make me smile. She has been gone since 1980.

IB4OU2
6/2/2006, 10:53 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Mom. We have two dogs and both are like our children. The miniature schnauzer (Jack) has a spinal condition that's progressively getting worse so the little fella probably doesn't have to many more years and the Lab/shepherd mix is a happy go lucky dog and he's about as friendly as any dog I've ever owned. I hope a new pup can help fill the void you have now.

nmsoonergirl
6/2/2006, 11:01 AM
:( :(
Sorry, mom.

olevetonahill
6/2/2006, 11:09 AM
:( :(
Sorry, mom.
ditto

MamaMia
6/2/2006, 11:21 AM
The lady I got Punky and Watson from heard about Punky from the Vets office. She just phoned and said that she is not going to be in the puppy business for long and that she has 3 great nephews of Punky that she would like me to see. They are a mixture of all colors and not blonde and white like Punky was. I wouldnt want a blonde one anyway. The 4 grandaughters, all age 9 and under want to go, but I just dont know if I can. We are on our 4th box of Puffs. :(

NormanPride
6/2/2006, 11:21 AM
Lost my comfort dog a couple months back. At least he was happy when he went. In the span of a year, I lost 4 cats that had been with me since I can remember, and all of those were tough. The best thing to do is move on, and let your experiences with Punky live on with your new friend.

What are Lhasa Apsos like?

85Sooner
6/2/2006, 12:34 PM
Whoa. Sorry to hear that mom. Just grab a bottle of your best and drag out a bunch of pictures and drink a toast to your lost loved one. Its much easier to celebrate the life than grieve the loss.
All my best to you.

Jimminy Crimson
6/2/2006, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear, Mom.

May you feast on an endless supply of Milk-Bones and liver treats, Punky!

MamaMia
6/8/2006, 10:30 AM
Lost my comfort dog a couple months back. At least he was happy when he went. In the span of a year, I lost 4 cats that had been with me since I can remember, and all of those were tough. The best thing to do is move on, and let your experiences with Punky live on with your new friend.

What are Lhasa Apsos like?Here is a link on them. Sorry it took me so long to answer your question.

My Lhasa Apso was a golden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa_Apso

Mjcpr
6/8/2006, 10:34 AM
Here is a link on them. Sorry it took me so long to answer your question.

My Lhasa Apso was a golden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa_Apso

Mom, someone around here was looking for a person to adopt a Yorkie that they saved. Sounds like a good match for you to me. :)

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 10:55 AM
:( I am sorry for your loss mom. I know how it feels and it sucks!! :(

NormanPride
6/8/2006, 11:00 AM
Dustmops! I love those dogs... Hope you're feeling better, mom.

MamaMia
6/8/2006, 12:12 PM
Dustmops! I love those dogs... Hope you're feeling better, mom.
I still cry alot when I'm alone, because I miss him so much, but I am feeling better. Thanks. :)

Mom, someone around here was looking for a person to adopt a Yorkie that they saved. Sounds like a good match for you to me. :)Well...actually, we went and got one of Punkys nephews. He is the runt of the litter, just like his Uncle Punky was. Eventhough he does have some gold, he isnt a golden like Punky was. The grandaughters wouldnt take "no" for an answer. They needed the new puppy. He is really precious.

It was nice to get out and have a fun day. After we all had pedicures, we went by and looked at the puppies, but since we were in a hotel, we couldnt take one right away, so we swung by the Switzer Center. The girls had never been, nor have I since it was redone. It was closed but Nana (thats me) said..."Let me call my peeps." I got lucky and got us in.
I "rock", by the way. :O

We had the whole place to ourselves. The girls were very impressed by the Bennie Owen display and the fact that the field is named after him. The eldest grandaughter nominated that the puppy be named for him. There was a vote of the 5 of us, including the 2 yr. old whos arm we raised as she giggled, and it was unanimous. We have a new multi colored Lhasa puppy named...

Are you ready for this?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bennie Owen St. Francis

Dont you just love happy endings? :)

Howzit
6/8/2006, 12:17 PM
Sorry, Mom, I just saw this thread.

Glad you found a new puppy. So, with a name like that what are you going to call him? Here, Bennie Owen St. Francis, is a bit cumbersome.

MamaMia
6/8/2006, 12:54 PM
Sorry, Mom, I just saw this thread.

Glad you found a new puppy. So, with a name like that what are you going to call him? Here, Bennie Owen St. Francis, is a bit cumbersome.
Sir. :D

Tailwind
6/8/2006, 01:59 PM
Good choice there Mom. Hopefully he can take away some of the pain. I still miss my best friend Sera, a beautiful and very smart German Sheppard/Collie mix. She's been gone for 14 years now, but she was with me for 11 years.

BajaOklahoma
6/8/2006, 02:26 PM
I think you are going to have to call him...... BOSF or BOS (Boz) for short. :D

MamaMia
6/8/2006, 04:46 PM
I think you are going to have to call him...... BOSF or BOS (Boz) for short. :D

Thats funny. :D
Well, he seems to like plain ole Bennie.

The 4 year olds name is Watson St. Martin. I told the kids that we cant possibly get another dog since both the patron Saints of animals names are taken. :P

SOONER44EVER
6/8/2006, 04:50 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

This might make you feel better:

Four year old child's wisdom.

Why dogs do not live as long as people?

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish
Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their
little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for
a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the
family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the
euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good
for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though
Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the
last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few
minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept
Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the
sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had
been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to
him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more
comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life --
like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old
continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to
stay as long.

Author Unknown

MamaMia
6/8/2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks SOONER44EVER, thats so sweet. We also have a copy of the Rainbow Bridge on the fridge, and have had for 4 and 1/2 years now. Like I said, Punky is the first dog I ever had, but he is not the first dog we ever lost.

We got Punky a brother when he was almost 2 yrs old. His name was Sherlock. He passed away of cancer at the age of 9, on the 30th of December, New Years Eve. On the 30th of every month we light a candle for Sherlock to let him know we still love him and miss him.

We will light 2 candles on that evening now. Punky also went to Heaven on the 30th.