PDA

View Full Version : grats for hiring barnes

rebmus
6/1/2006, 01:22 PM
rod's a heckuva x and o coach and i think he'll do a GREAT job for yall as an assistant. good luck to coach barnes and the sooner hoops program. (unless yall play ole miss of course;) )

william_brasky
6/1/2006, 05:08 PM
thanks.

nice to hear good things from someone who has some knowledge of the guy.

question rebmus: why'd he get the boot down there?

rebmus
6/2/2006, 08:48 AM
thanks.

nice to hear good things from someone who has some knowledge of the guy.

question rebmus: why'd he get the boot down there?

barnes did pretty good his first few years. the past 5 years, we've finished either last or close to last in the sec.

my honest opinion of barnes, he's one of the best "x and o" coaches in the game,,, especially defense. his defenses are usually VERY fun to watch.
his recruiting, on the other hand, is horrible.
i do realize recruiting at ole miss is NOT an easy job, but it was beyond bad under barnes. IF barnes hires the correct recruiting co-ordinator... i think he'd be a heckuva head coach most anywhere.

anyway... i think he'll make a great fit in the role he has at oklahoma. (just don't depend on him to recruit! lol). he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever have on any coaching staff. i'll be shocked if barnes ever does ANYTHING to embarress the university "off the court". he's a great role model for the young athletes.

man... i could go on for days about how much i like the guy and hated to see him get canned. don't get me wrong, he had to be fired. losing 5 years in a row (with no improvement) is no excuse.

hope that helps give yall some insight on him. again, i wish him and yall all the luck. i think yall will be happy with the hire over the next few years.

LSUdeek
6/2/2006, 09:19 AM
barnes did pretty good his first few years. the past 5 years, we've finished either last or close to last in the sec.

my honest opinion of barnes, he's one of the best "x and o" coaches in the game,,, especially defense. his defenses are usually VERY fun to watch.
i do realize recruiting at ole miss is NOT an easy job, but it was beyond bad under barnes. IF barnes hires the correct recruiting co-ordinator... i think he'd be a heckuva head coach most anywhere.

anyway... i think he'll make a great fit in the role he has at oklahoma. (just don't depend on him to recruit! lol). he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever have on any coaching staff. i'll be shocked if barnes ever does ANYTHING to embarress the university "off the court". he's a great role model for the young athletes.

man... i could go on for days about how much i like the guy and hated to see him get canned. don't get me wrong, he had to be fired. losing 5 years in a row (with no improvement) is no excuse.

hope that helps give yall some insight on him. again, i wish him and yall all the luck. i think yall will be happy with the hire over the next few years.

IMO, it was hard for him considering the cheating going on at Starkpatch which enabled them to get all of the best MS talent (of which there isn't much that can qualify to play in the SEC). Abernathy at PG simply isn't going to get it done in the Sun Belt, less the SEC.

william_brasky
6/2/2006, 04:00 PM

thanks rebmus!