PDA

View Full Version : LIMBAUGH PRAISES FDR and TRUMAN!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/1/2006, 01:07 PM
Lo and behold, it DID happen, just a while ago. Both were praised for having the determination to proceed with an all-out effort to win the war. Truman was maligned at the time, and became unpopular, but in retrospect has gained new appreciation for getting the job done.

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 01:11 PM
Who is this "Limbaugh" ?!?

lame :O

Tear Down This Wall
6/1/2006, 01:25 PM
He dropped two big ones!

http://www.ldsfilm.com//pmstills/Fletch_09.jpg

OklahomaTuba
6/1/2006, 01:29 PM
Bush and Truman are a lot alike I think, and will probably be viewed pretty much the same way, even though the Korean war was a much more devastating war than Iraq could ever hope to be.

Its too bad we don't have another Macarthur in Iraq right now.

Tear Down This Wall
6/1/2006, 01:36 PM
Differences: Reporters weren't running around in Korea like they were in Iraq, there was no 24 hour news cycle, and the Congress didn't try to interfere with intelligence gathering.

Also, we were fighting with the Koreans to keep them free from Communism, so there was less "insurgency" activity. In Iraq, we deposed a leader who played a game of diplomatic chicken re: weapons of mass destruction. In fighting a politically correct war, we somehow refuse to destroy the insurgency the way we destroyed the Germans and Japanese in WWII. With Vietnam, we (and every other nation) lost the ability to fight a war as it needs to be fought - for victory, regardless of the means.

6/1/2006, 01:37 PM
Bush and Truman are a lot alike I think, and will probably be viewed pretty much the same way, even though the Korean war was a much more devastating war than Iraq could ever hope to be.

Its too bad we don't have another Macarthur in Iraq right now.IMO Bush is afraid to unleash our military power in Iraq. I don't think a general nowadays would ever be able to get away with being as headstrong as MacArthur.

Tear Down This Wall
6/1/2006, 01:39 PM
IMO Bush is afraid to unleash our military power in Iraq. I don't think a general nowadays would ever be able to get away with being as headstrong as MacArthur.

True dat. They're all on TV playing Monday mornng quarterback. Or, like Wesley Clark, they'd paid consultants to news services. Patton would walk up to the Wesley Clarks of the military and kick them square in the jimmies if he were alive today.

Vaevictis
6/1/2006, 01:48 PM
I don't think a general nowadays would ever be able to get away with being as headstrong as MacArthur.

IIRC, even MacArthur didn't get away as being as head strong as MacArthur ;)

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2006, 01:52 PM
True dat. They're all on TV playing Monday mornng quarterback. Or, like Wesley Clark, they'd paid consultants to news services. Patton would walk up to the Wesley Clarks of the military and kick them square in the jimmies if he were alive today.

I really like GEN Schwartzkopfh's (sp?) quote in his book, to paraphrase it he said" I think every retired General when asked to comment on current military action/policy should never miss an opportunity to stay quiet.'

lefty
6/1/2006, 01:56 PM

Its too bad we don't have another Macarthur in Iraq right now.

So you're saying you want a General in Iraq to openly question Bush's policy?

Tear Down This Wall
6/1/2006, 01:56 PM
Agreed. It's like asking Jamelle Holieway about the 2005 QB situation. He's been away from the game too long, and it's different than when he was in it, so his opinion would be worthless.

However, remember that with the 24 hour news cycle, they have to fill time with something.

6/1/2006, 01:59 PM
So you're saying you want a General in Iraq to openly question Bush's policy?I would personally be happier to see Bush not be so interested in the appeasement of his enemies game.

soonerscuba
6/1/2006, 03:06 PM
Oh goody, Limbaugh somehow managed to compliment a man who over saw a depression, World War, technological advance of the American private sector, and expanding middle class, all while being a cripple elected to office 4 times. That took some serious, serious courage on the part of Rush, he probably had some "help" from the pharm team.

I always thought of FDR as that ******* on the dime and immortalized as one of our greatest presidents was just a farce, now I'm a true believer since Rush vindicated him.

6/1/2006, 03:15 PM
Oh goody, Limbaugh somehow managed to compliment a man who over saw a depression, World War, technological advance of the American private sector, and expanding middle class, all while being a cripple elected to office 4 times. That took some serious, serious courage on the part of Rush, he probably had some "help" from the pharm team.

I always thought of FDR as that ******* on the dime and immortalized as one of our greatest presidents was just a farce, now I'm a true believer since Rush vindicated him.Where you been hiding? BTW, congrats on an exemplary post. IMO it met ilk standards.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/1/2006, 03:19 PM
He was the epitome of a micromanaging boss in Office Space.

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 03:39 PM

I always thought of FDR as that ******* on the dime and immortalized as one of our greatest presidents was just a farce, now I'm a true believer since Rush vindicated him.

If I wasn't so busy doing my regular job and being a good guy on the SO, I would have posted something like that. :)
But then somebody would say I'm a "dirty lib" like scuba. :eek:
Of course, you ARE assuming that some posters on this board take all their cues from Rush Limbaugh. That's just unimaginable! <shakes head>

Tear Down This Wall
6/1/2006, 03:42 PM
Truman was an arse-kicker. However, FDR was very Chamberlain-like as Hitler marched across Eastern Europe and Japan began island hoping down to Australia. If the Nips hadn't bombed us, FDR might not have even gotten us into the thing.

Scott D
6/1/2006, 03:46 PM
Truman was an arse-kicker. However, FDR was very Chamberlain-like as Hitler marched across Eastern Europe and Japan began island hoping down to Australia. If the Nips hadn't bombed us, FDR might not have even gotten us into the thing.

Despite the fact that FDR wanted to get involved in the European theater much earlier than he was, simply because Congress wasn't going to vote to go to war for our Allies alone? At the time the United States was still very isolationist in it's foreign policy, the League of Nations by that point had been an abysmal failure.

Why else do you think there has been so much rampant speculation and rumormongering that FDR knew the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor and knew when they were going to do it, simply to give him an excuse to enter the war on the side of Britain and France?

soonerscuba
6/1/2006, 03:52 PM

You don't think an isolationist minded public hindered him in his ability to wage war, keep in mind that this is on the heals of WWI? I think it is a little bit of a stretch to compare him to Chamberlain in the 30s, as we had plenty of domestic issues to deal with. Note, I'm not being smug, this is an honest question.

soonerscuba
6/1/2006, 03:53 PM
damn you, scott.

Scott D
6/1/2006, 03:54 PM
damn you, scott.

sweet I'm being hated on by dirty libz now...my life is complete :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 04:07 PM

http://members.aol.com/poesgirl/Hitlerdow.htm

had it not been for this, i sincerely doubt he'd have been able to get us involved in europe. the US was severely isolationist at that time. chuck lindberg might have even won the next election.

as for truman in korea, i'll give him credit for yanking macarthur, keeping us out of a nuclear war. yes truman got us in to the mess with his fiscal raping of the military (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_A._Johnson), but he okayed the inchon invasion (which the JCOS were totally against) and allowed macarthur to conduct his brand of conventional war.

Tear Down This Wall
6/1/2006, 04:07 PM
That's all way too involved. I just look at the fact that we sat around while Germany and Japan were rolling over our friends and draw the larger conclusion - that if Japan had left us alone 1/3 of the world would be speaking German, 1/3 Japanese, and 1/3 English...maybe.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 04:08 PM
blast you scott :mad:

Scott D
6/1/2006, 04:09 PM
blast you scott :mad:

great...now pifwafwi's hate me...maybe I should quit the board :confused: :(

Mjcpr
6/1/2006, 04:10 PM

Get yourself an uzi and a watermelon, he'll back off.

:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 04:10 PM
btw, that hitler DOW has some interesting points especially about the new deal policies. dude was a maniac and couldn't add, but i can see how he could sway an audience...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 04:11 PM
Get yourself an uzi and a watermelon, he'll back off.

:D

eww! patnip

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 04:11 PM

it took me for frickin ever to find louis johnson name. i had stimson firmly entrenched in my brain for some reason...

Scott D
6/1/2006, 04:17 PM
it took me for frickin ever to find louis johnson name. i had stimson firmly entrenched in my brain for some reason...

somehow it's scuba's fault ;)

Vaevictis
6/1/2006, 04:20 PM
That's all way too involved. I just look at the fact that we sat around while Germany and Japan were rolling over our friends and draw the larger conclusion - that if Japan had left us alone 1/3 of the world would be speaking German, 1/3 Japanese, and 1/3 English...maybe.

If FDR enters that war before Japan bombs us, I think we lose it for lack of political will power on the part of the American public. Our winning it had a lot to do with the fact that we were so raving ****ed off. Without that, I don't think we see the complete mobilization effort that we had.

soonerjoker
6/2/2006, 09:56 AM
give fdr credit for getting us into the war; but not for beating the
"depression". war (full employment) caused end of "depression".

truman (little guy with big ball$) is (to me) more famous (or infamous)
for dropping a-bombs (& ending ww2) than firing mac. (also good move)

had to end pacific war before russia became involved. it was (partly)
a political move.