PDA

View Full Version : My seven-month-old daughter

OKC-SLC
6/1/2006, 10:20 AM
My daughter has taken a liking to hearing me sing Boomer Sooner (her favorite is 'i'm sooner born and sooner bred...' verse) while I stand her up and move her side to side to dance. My wife today finally said what she's been thinking for months--that the baby only laughs because someone's singing to her and not because of the song.

Without changing the tone of voice or the dancing, I sang the first several words of The Eyes of TX. She not only stopped laughing, she turned to me and started crying. Her crying was immediately cured by resuming Boomer Sooner.

The force is good in this one. We can check another one off the list, fellow Sooner fans.

MiccoMacey
6/1/2006, 10:56 AM
You have done well, young padwan. :D

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
6/1/2006, 11:00 AM
Thats really nice. I have an 8 month old son myself. Well, 8 months on the 11th of this month. He really likes Boomer Sooner too. I can't wait to teach how to do whorns down. Hook 'em

soonerhubs
6/1/2006, 11:10 AM
Learn in thy youth to follow the Sooners. That's what I've always been taught. ;)

A-M
6/1/2006, 11:13 AM
Way to go OKC-SLC! When my son brought both of his kids home from the hospital, the first thing he did was set them down in front of the TV and show them a OU football tape. Now, my 3 year old granddaughter will shout Sooner anytime she hears someone say anything that remotely sounds like Boomer. My grandson hasn't started talking yet, but I'm sure he will do the same. Start them young and they will not stray from the way they should go forever. Boomer Sooner to all!

TheGodfather889
6/1/2006, 12:03 PM
Ahh shaping the minds of the American Youth. I've been grooming my 21 month old son to be as big of a Sooner fan as me. I took him to all of OU's home games last year so that's a start. We're expecting our 2nd son in November so I'll have to do the same for him.

oumartin
6/1/2006, 12:50 PM
AWESOME!
only one question.
Who would have s** with you? :D

walkoffsooner
6/1/2006, 12:53 PM
Your only job is to keep her off the pole.:D

oumartin
6/1/2006, 12:54 PM
:eek:

RedstickSooner
6/1/2006, 01:09 PM
So, how old's she, SLC? Twelve? Fifteen? :D

'Course, sometimes training can backfire a bit -- I've got my seven year old daughter trained up on the mantra that "Longhorns Suck", which is cool and all.. Problem is, she busts out the upside-down horns and the "Longhorns Suck" chant pretty much anytime the state of Texas is mentioned.

It can make for awkward moments when football isn't the topic of discussion ;)

TheGodfather889
6/1/2006, 01:28 PM

'Course, sometimes training can backfire a bit -- I've got my seven year old daughter trained up on the mantra that "Longhorns Suck", which is cool and all.. Problem is, she busts out the upside-down horns and the "Longhorns Suck" chant pretty much anytime the state of Texas is mentioned.

It can make for awkward moments when football isn't the topic of discussion ;)
That's hilarious. Sounds like a cute little girl.

jccouger
6/1/2006, 02:15 PM
She cant possibly be a sooner fan! I bet she has never even stepped foot in a OU classroom!

soonerhillbilly
6/1/2006, 02:31 PM
Sweet, when my son was 3 (now 7) any time Texas was mentioned he'd do the upside down horn sign and yell 'Texas Sucks Man'. Pretty funny until we were driving down a remote area through some trailer park to get to a lake in Gilmer TX area (visiting relatives, not in the trailer park) he saw a horn flag and started the Texas sucks chant, thought we were going to be shot. Any time a movie or show is on with a trailer park, he says ' they must be in Texas'(he believes only trailer parks exists in Texas!) BOOMER SOONER !!!

OKC-SLC
6/1/2006, 02:53 PM
heh.

OKC-SLC
6/1/2006, 02:53 PM
AWESOME!
only one question.
Who would have s** with you? :D
do you really want me to answer that?

(insert winking smiley face here)

OKC-SLC
6/1/2006, 02:54 PM
I don't know.

Martin, how old is your wife?

oumartin
6/1/2006, 03:11 PM
buddy, you wanna come get her? you can have her!
31 btw.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/1/2006, 03:20 PM
i ve shared how the 2 year old daughter yells shoooo eee texas every time she dumps in her diaper...we were walking around in sports fanatic saturday and i look back and she is spitting and kicking on a zero state blanket...not that she has ever seen me do that or anything

Jimminy Crimson
6/1/2006, 03:22 PM
SLC, the only words a Sooner should know of 'The Eyes of Tejas' are in the title. I hope those were the only ones out of your mouf. :D

OKC-SLC
6/1/2006, 06:45 PM
SLC, the only words a Sooner should know of 'The Eyes of Tejas' are in the title. I hope those were the only ones out of your mouf. :D
heh.

"the eyes of texas are upon you, all the live long day"

and hence is the totality of my knowledge(?) of the lyrics.

another thing--my wife's boss is a SUC fan. He was holding her and showing her a mini-SUC helmet (the one that came with SI after the game of which we do not speak), and she put the facemask in her mouth then spit up on the forehead of the helmet.

suncoastsooner7
6/2/2006, 01:52 PM
My ten month old daughter knows two things so far... Da Da and the hook 'em horns sign upside down!!!! :D

Good Job SLC!

MamaMia
6/4/2006, 08:29 AM
You all are doing well by raising good little Sooners who love 'Boomer Sooner'. Its also a good idea to turn them away from anything orange. It teaches them loyalty at an early age.

douxpaysan
6/4/2006, 12:08 PM
She cant possibly be a sooner fan! I bet she has never even stepped foot in a OU classroom!
Recruits of this age aren't allowed classroom visits...or excessive phone calls.http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/ncaa/05/25/bc.bkc.indiana.sampson.ap/t1_sampson_si.jpg

OU-HSV
6/4/2006, 04:55 PM
My daughter has taken a liking to hearing me sing Boomer Sooner (her favorite is 'i'm sooner born and sooner bred...' verse) while I stand her up and move her side to side to dance. My wife today finally said what she's been thinking for months--that the baby only laughs because someone's singing to her and not because of the song.

Without changing the tone of voice or the dancing, I sang the first several words of The Eyes of TX. She not only stopped laughing, she turned to me and started crying. Her crying was immediately cured by resuming Boomer Sooner.

The force is good in this one. We can check another one off the list, fellow Sooner fans.
Atta boy Bro. We can't wait to see our niece again. Keep up the good work on singing to her.

oumartin
6/4/2006, 05:19 PM
have you been MIA OU-HSV?

seems i haven't seen you in awhile or you haven't said anything worth remembering. :D

OKC-SLC
6/4/2006, 07:07 PM
he's been moving from Ark to Okla, and got rid of the old computer. Not sure what computer he used for the post above.

Not that he generally says anything worth remembering.

Not that any of us do.

badger
6/4/2006, 08:28 PM
you must have had tears in your eyes when that happened. of joy, of course.

OKC-SLC
6/4/2006, 11:34 PM
Learn in thy youth to follow the Sooners.
That's from D&C, right?

I keed.

SoonersEnFuego
6/4/2006, 11:56 PM
I don't know any words to the UT song, nor will I ever care to remember them.

OU-HSV
8/21/2006, 08:34 PM
have you been MIA OU-HSV?

seems i haven't seen you in awhile or you haven't said anything worth remembering. :D
Yep, I've been MIA for a while. And my posts will be minimal for another few weeks til I get into my new house and get the internet again. Nice to know someone noticed I've been gone :D

OU-HSV
8/21/2006, 08:35 PM
he's been moving from Ark to Okla, and got rid of the old computer. Not sure what computer he used for the post above.

Not that he generally says anything worth remembering.

Not that any of us do.
Ouch! ;)

sooner94
8/21/2006, 08:48 PM
Any time a movie or show is on with a trailer park, he says ' they must be in Texas'(he believes only trailer parks exists in Texas!) BOOMER SOONER !!!

Ha! That is funny. Sounds like a great kid.

SoonerJLB
8/21/2006, 08:52 PM
and I used to sing her to sleep as a younster with Boomer Sooner...of course it was no match for the Barnie songs but she still liked me to sing it.

As she grew up, I used to tell her stories before she went to bed. She loved it when I would tell her stories of OU football games like.."There was once a great football coach named Barry Switzer...insert the Keith Jackson one handed catch against Nebula....or a break away game diving TD by Billy Simms or whatever. Did the same with the the Bob Stoops era games.

The good thing was she remembered the stories. And a couple of years ago...one of her soocer coaches (a big ND alum and fan) used to try to inspire the girls at half-time if they were losing...with famous ND "come from behind game speaches". He would ask the girls..do you remember the story I told you about the greatest football coach ever (he was talking about Knute Rockne). Some of the girls would mumble or shake their heads...my daughter would raise her hand. The coach would say...Ok Jessica..who was it. She would say Barry Switzer. The coach would say no, guess again. Jessica would say "Then Bob Stoops".:)

OUstud
8/21/2006, 09:13 PM
My dad would say "O...S...U..." with the arm motions, and I would run by squealing "SUCKS" when I was about 3.