PDA

View Full Version : I love scotch

GottaHavePride
5/31/2006, 11:19 PM
About an hour ago there was a Modern Marvels episode about distilleries on. since then I've been drinking scotch. Hooray!

I should buy an actual scotch glass, but they're all made in England and cost $40 to ship. Screw that.

GottaHavePride
5/31/2006, 11:26 PM
http://www.wagnerur.hu/itallap/pia10/dalwhinnie.jpg

hurricane'bone
5/31/2006, 11:28 PM
scotchy, scotchy, scotch

Melo
5/31/2006, 11:30 PM
scotchy, scotchy, scotch

Thank you for not letting me down. As soon as I saw the title, I knew it was coming.

GottaHavePride
5/31/2006, 11:33 PM
I sets em up, he knocks em down...

hurricane'bone
5/31/2006, 11:35 PM
I aim to please.

Sometimes I miss...but I always aim.

proud gonzo
5/31/2006, 11:38 PM
PG: i'm surprised there isn't a Dean random fact generator yet
GHP: there should be...
GHP: Maybe Bano should make one.
GHP: er, Beaon
GHP: Beano! crap
PG: hah
GHP: I'm'a start calling him Beaon now

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/31/2006, 11:39 PM
I have slopped down a measure of that stuff in the past.

yermom
5/31/2006, 11:48 PM

i think Baneo has a nice ring to it

GottaHavePride
6/1/2006, 12:26 AM
And Bane-o was his name-o!

B, A, N-E-O!

White House Boy
6/1/2006, 06:51 AM
http://x2.putfile.com/5/12916310496.jpg

OhU1
6/1/2006, 08:19 AM
I like Scotch Ale. Just brewed a batch. I'm not sure but I think Scotch is distilled from barley. If so, it would probably be a liquor I might be OK with. I'm not a liquor drinker.

Mjcpr
6/1/2006, 08:20 AM
Vile liquid.

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 08:25 AM
Vile liquid.
:mad: poo head!
Scotch makes me :)

Mjcpr
6/1/2006, 08:28 AM
:mad: poo head!
Scotch makes me :)

Well, I like plain old Oklahoma beer so consider the source. :D

Fugue
6/1/2006, 08:42 AM
Modern Marvels had the "Saloon" episode on last night. I realize that humor wise I am a juvenile tardbilly but when the narrator described the beer keg and said, "pound the spicate into the bunghole with the bung hammer", I laughed. A lot. Out loud.

yermom
6/1/2006, 08:45 AM
Modern Marvels had the "Saloon" episode on last night. I realize that humor wise I am a juvenile tardbilly but when the narrator described the beer keg and said, "pound the spicate into the bunghole with the bung hammer", I laughed. A lot. Out loud.

enjoy your vacation :eek:

Fugue
6/1/2006, 08:50 AM
I had no idea that those words/phrases came from beer science. I just ***umed it was dirty lingo. :eek:

IB4OU2
6/1/2006, 08:59 AM
GHP, Single Malt or blend? Try some 12 year old single malt Glenlevet.

Good Stuff.

SoonerWood
6/1/2006, 09:03 AM
I prefer Glenlivet myself

IB4OU2
6/1/2006, 09:06 AM

Did I misspell it? Blame it on the Jack Daniels I drank last night........;)

tbl
6/1/2006, 09:24 AM
I know I hate bourbon, so I always assumed I wouldn't like Scotch. Plus, it's just way too expensive.

I love those Modern Marvels. I watch the beer and spirits episodes every time they come on.

handcrafted
6/1/2006, 12:32 PM
http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/scotch/details/macallan_12_gr.jpg

handcrafted
6/1/2006, 12:35 PM
Macallan doesn't taste like other Scotch. It's not nearly as peat-y tasting. Similar, but it's a bit sweeter and has a hint of apples or pears. That's because they age it in Spanish oak barrels that had previously been used to age amontillado, sherry or port. They buy the barrels in bulk from the Spanish distilleries and just put the whisky right into them. The flavor from the wood soaks into the Scotch. Yummy.

handcrafted
6/1/2006, 12:37 PM
I like Scotch Ale. Just brewed a batch. I'm not sure but I think Scotch is distilled from barley. If so, it would probably be a liquor I might be OK with. I'm not a liquor drinker.

Yep, barley and peat moss, as opposed to corn or rye grain, which is what American whiskey is made from. Trust me, there's a heyyyuge taste difference.

Fugue
6/1/2006, 12:38 PM
I bet Scotch barrels don't have bungholes. :eddie:

yermom
6/1/2006, 12:46 PM
Macallan doesn't taste like other Scotch. It's not nearly as peat-y tasting. Similar, but it's a bit sweeter and has a hint of apples or pears. That's because they age it in Spanish oak barrels that had previously been used to age amontillado, sherry or port. They buy the barrels in bulk from the Spanish distilleries and just put the whisky right into them. The flavor from the wood soaks into the Scotch. Yummy.

i must have it...

man i hate me some Scotch... don't care much for Irish whiskey either

Fugue
6/1/2006, 12:52 PM

I agree with yermom.
yuck, I'll sip that nevermore.

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 01:00 PM
Yep, barley and peat moss, as opposed to corn or rye grain, which is what American whiskey is made from. Trust me, there's a heyyyuge taste difference.
There's not actual peat IN the liquor is there? I thought it was just grain. :confused:

I find that Irish whisky tastes more like bourbon than like Scotch.
Whisky is just a good old thing. :)

yermom
6/1/2006, 01:04 PM
whatever it tastes like, it makes me want to vomit much like Scotch does

handcrafted
6/1/2006, 01:11 PM
I agree with yermom.
yuck, I'll sip that nevermore.

Well, if you don't like sherry, you certainly won't like MacAllan.

GottaHavePride
6/1/2006, 01:12 PM
After they malt the barley they smoke it over a peat fire before they ferment it.

And blended scotch does indeed taste like ****. I only drink the single malts. I buy a bottle and drink it very slowly. I mean, I've probably had the bottle of Dalwhinnie for 6 months. My favorite so far is the Balvenie DoubleWood (it's aged in two different types of barrels, you pervs).

As for Irish whisky - I have about half a bottle of Bushmills 10 year left. I've heard Tullamore Dew is really big in Ireland, though.

handcrafted
6/1/2006, 01:14 PM
There's not actual peat IN the liquor is there? I thought it was just grain. :confused:

I find that Irish whisky tastes more like bourbon than like Scotch.
Whisky is just a good old thing. :)

The "mash" that's used to ferment and distill the whisky contains just barley and water. Used to be that at some point in the process they'd roast the barley over peat fires. They don't always do that nowadays but a lot of places still infuse peat smoke into the mash. Gives Scotch that "smoky" flavor. Also results in it being lighter in color and not as thick as bourbon.

http://www.lochlomonddistillery.com/making-scotch.htm

Fugue
6/1/2006, 01:14 PM
Well, if you don't like sherry, you certainly won't like MacAllan.

Oh, I'll drink anything. I just wanted to throw in some E.A. Poe humor or E.A.P. unhumor. :texan:

King Crimson
6/1/2006, 01:45 PM
Highland Park is a pretty good somewhat reasonable $$$-range single malt. it's made in the Orkney Islands--of the North Coast.

in Scotland there are so many single-malts it's ridiculous. every town has at least one of their own....in addition to the bigger national purveyors.

mrowl
6/1/2006, 02:47 PM
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/sick4111/anchorman_.jpg

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/1/2006, 02:53 PM

I made a dean quote generator about a month ago.

However, due to the bad word filter, every single one of them looked exactly the same:

I didn't even know there were 10 letter bad words.

And you guys are dorks.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/1/2006, 02:55 PM
By the way, I don't think I've ever had Scotch. Sounds neat, though.

yermom
6/1/2006, 02:56 PM
Oh, I'll drink anything. I just wanted to throw in some E.A. Poe humor or E.A.P. unhumor. :texan:

yeah, i wasn't sure if any one was going to get the Cask of Amontillado joke :D

6/1/2006, 02:57 PM
When I was a kid, I always though Scotch sounded like something that tasted like butterscotch candy.

I grew up and found out it tasted like ***.

GDC
6/1/2006, 03:05 PM
I once packed scotch, soda, glasses, and ice to the top of Emory Peak in the Big Bend for me and some friends.

Jimminy Crimson
6/1/2006, 03:08 PM
I grew up and found out it tasted like ***.

That saying makes me wonder...

Do ghey dudes say things that taste bad 'taste like http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif'?

Lid? HEH? Can we get your opinion? :texan:

Fugue
6/1/2006, 03:08 PM
yeah, i wasn't sure if any one was going to get the Cask of Amontillado joke :D

exactly, that's why I doubled up on it and yet all we got were crickets, stupid scotch drinkers. :eddie: :D

well, spek to ya.

GottaHavePride
6/1/2006, 03:09 PM
I once packed scotch, soda, glasses, and ice to the top of Emory Peak in the Big Bend for me and some friends.
Sounds like a good way to end a hike to me.

Actually, I've found that scotch tastes better neat - room temperature with just a splash of water in it.

GottaHavePride
6/1/2006, 03:09 PM
exactly, that's why I doubled up on it and yet all we got were crickets, stupid scotch drinkers. :eddie: :D

well, spek to ya.
I got the joke, I just left it where I found it. ;)

Fugue
6/1/2006, 03:11 PM

heh,
that was the other possibility. :O

TheHumanAlphabet
6/1/2006, 04:33 PM
I have several bottles of double wood The Balvenie. Excellent.

Dalwhinnie is special as well.

You should see my scotch collection. Mighty fine!

yermom
6/1/2006, 04:57 PM

**** off dip**** :mad:

SoonerWood
6/1/2006, 05:28 PM
I just picked this up. Never tried Macallen before. For the price, it better be tastier than Glenlivet. :mad:

http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/acatalog/macallan_fo15_b.jpg

lefty
6/1/2006, 05:32 PM
If you ever get the chance, try Johnnie Walker Blue. Although a blend, it is quite good.

GDC
6/1/2006, 06:06 PM
I just picked this up. Never tried Macallen before. For the price, it better be tastier than Glenlivet. :mad:

http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/acatalog/macallan_fo15_b.jpg

If it's good enough for Neil Peart, it's good enough for me.

dolemitesooner
6/1/2006, 06:08 PM
Scotch tastes like ****......so don't buy a glass and never buy that **** again

dolemitesooner
6/1/2006, 06:09 PM
Homey gave me some ducth scotch and I about lost it

lefty
6/1/2006, 06:30 PM
Homey gave me some ducth scotch and I about lost it

As I tell my daughter, always put stuff in the same place and you'll never lose it.

Harry Beanbag
6/1/2006, 07:13 PM
If you ever get the chance, try Johnnie Walker Blue. Although a blend, it is quite good.

Word. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://www.thewhiskystore.de/blend/jowalker/jowalbl1l_4.jpg

SoonerWood
6/1/2006, 08:23 PM
WELL CRAP.

I knew I shouldn't have bought the Macallan.

It's damn ****ing good and I can't afford it very often.

tbl
6/1/2006, 08:24 PM
So is it true that if one does not like any bourbon, one would not like Scotch either?

C&CDean
6/1/2006, 08:39 PM
Scotch? Scotch is the whisky girly men drink when they want to have hairy testicles. Scotch is the whisky people drink when they want to be assured that no matter what else they drink - it will taste better. Scotch is the Old Milwaukee of whiskies. The very best single malt scotch is about = Old Crow. Scotch is what fags drink when they wonder what another man's sweaty, warty, wrinkled, zit-infested taint might taste like.

If you're gonna drink **** from the UK, drink Irish. Tullamore Dew. Bushmills. Jameson.

Seriously, I like whisky, but I hate me some scotch. I can drink American and Canadian blends. Bourbon, rye, and I seriously like me some Irish. But scotch is what turned the first offspring of Adam and Eve into a homosexual. When I think of scotch I think of Mel Gibson's entrails on a pike. I think of colon, bowel, bladder, and large intestine. I think of bile, feces, and urine. Whoever said scotch tastes like *** is wrong. *** tastes so very much better.

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 08:57 PM
Scotch? Scotch is the whisky girly men drink when they want to have hairy testicles. Scotch is the whisky people drink when they want to be assured that no matter what else they drink - it will taste better. Scotch is the Old Milwaukee of whiskies. The very best single malt scotch is about = Old Crow. Scotch is what fags drink when they wonder what another man's sweaty, warty, wrinkled, zit-infested taint might taste like.

If you're gonna drink **** from the UK, drink Irish. Tullamore Dew. Bushmills. Jameson.

Seriously, I like whisky, but I hate me some scotch. I can drink American and Canadian blends. Bourbon, rye, and I seriously like me some Irish. But scotch is what turned the first offspring of Adam and Eve into a homosexual. When I think of scotch I think of Mel Gibson's entrails on a pike. I think of colon, bowel, bladder, and large intestine. I think of bile, feces, and urine. Whoever said scotch tastes like *** is wrong. *** tastes so very much better.

Yeah, those Scots have always been a bunch o' wussies with their skirts and all.
Yeah.
:P

C&CDean
6/1/2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, those Scots have always been a bunch o' wussies with their skirts and all.
Yeah.
:P

Anybody who can invent haggis - and like it - cannot be trusted.

Knaves, all, ye lusters of scotch. Tasteless cretins all. Scotch drinkers would put ketchup on a filet. They'd dip fresh mahi mahi in tartar sauce. They'd order a corny dog at a chinese joint. They'd order a hamburger at the mexican joint. They'd think Katie Couric was hot cause they've seen the inside of her bunghole.

Scotch is the nectar of the dogs.

TUSooner
6/1/2006, 09:13 PM
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/162/100pipers3xc.jpg

$6.49 a fifth. Woof! Woof!

C&CDean
6/1/2006, 09:15 PM
Heh. That's a Seagram's product.

"100 bottles of 100 Pipers on the wall, 100 bottles of 100 Pipers, take one down, pass it around ........."

Zbird
6/1/2006, 09:55 PM

HEH! or Glenfydich, or my two personal favorites Cardu and Laphroaig

Zbird
6/1/2006, 10:04 PM

Soda? was there something wrong with the scotch?

Zbird
6/1/2006, 10:08 PM
Scotch tastes like ****......so don't buy a glass and never buy that **** again

Only to those of you who think Pearl is good beer. Plebian palates!

Zbird
6/1/2006, 10:15 PM

Plebian! The only saving grace about your post is you recognize the quality of Tullamore Dew. Bourbon is too sweet, kinda like you. I guess your chainsaw incident left you with the frilly pants you always should have worn.

:D

Zbird
6/1/2006, 10:18 PM
Anybody who can invent haggis - and like it - cannot be trusted.

Knaves, all, ye lusters of scotch. Tasteless cretins all. Scotch drinkers would put ketchup on a filet. They'd dip fresh mahi mahi in tartar sauce. They'd order a corny dog at a chinese joint. They'd order a hamburger at the mexican joint. They'd think Katie Couric was hot cause they've seen the inside of her bunghole.

Scotch is the nectar of the dogs.

Dyslexic too huh?

GDC
6/1/2006, 10:31 PM
So Dean apparently doesn't care for scotch.

GottaHavePride
6/2/2006, 01:16 AM
Heh. See, the funny thing is I like them all - Scotch, Irish whisky, Bourbon, Tennessee sour mash - it's all good, it just has to BE good.

And my snide comment about blends was directd at blended scotch whiskies - which suck. Blended bourbons are perfectly OK, and I don't know why that's true, but it is.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/2/2006, 07:49 AM
Actually, there is one blend that is pretty good. Sheep Dip. Not bad at all.

IB4OU2
6/2/2006, 08:55 AM
Actually, there is one blend that is pretty good. Sheep Dip. Not bad at all.

I brought a bottle of that to deer camp one time as a joke. I don't recommend flinging a glass of that into the campfire... our eyebrows grew back in time though.

GDC
6/2/2006, 09:48 AM
I just brought back some Miel de Maguey tequila from Mexico, good stuff.

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 05:10 PM
By the way, I don't think I've ever had Scotch. Sounds neat, though.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Scotch...neat. :D

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 05:16 PM
WELL CRAP.

I knew I shouldn't have bought the Macallan.

It's damn ****ing good and I can't afford it very often.

Join the club, friend. Spek to you.

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 05:18 PM
So is it true that if one does not like any bourbon, one would not like Scotch either?

Not true at all. I know many people who hate bourbon and love scotch, myself included. Actually I don't hate all bourbon. Makers Mark is somewhat drinkable. But I really prefer Scotch much more.

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 05:19 PM
All Scotch haters are sheep-humping cretins. Wiggly nancy-boys, the lot of you. You may collectively kiss my hairy haggis. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/2/2006, 05:27 PM
I wish Scotch would help you learn how to quote more than one person in a post.

Just kidding.

No, I'm not...

GottaHavePride
6/2/2006, 05:37 PM
Actually I don't hate all bourbon. Makers Mark is somewhat drinkable. But I really prefer Scotch much more.

I prefer Knob Creek to Maker's Mark. And I'll wait for you all to stop giggling now. ;)

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 06:08 PM
I prefer Knob Creek to Maker's Mark. And I'll wait for you all to stop giggling now. ;)

:les: HE SAID KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

handcrafted
6/2/2006, 06:09 PM
I wish Scotch would help you learn how to quote more than one person in a post.

Just kidding.

No, I'm not...

:texan:

GottaHavePride
10/7/2007, 01:03 PM
Tried a new one. Caol Ila. Very nice. Watch out for the burn on the way down, though it's not s rough as The Dalwhinnie.

bluedogok
10/7/2007, 04:55 PM
Blame it on the Jack Daniels I drank last night........;)
There have been a bunch of people who have used that line before :D

Newbomb Turk
10/7/2007, 04:59 PM

i'm glad old threads get dug up so I can read some of the stuff I missed. :D

Zbird
10/7/2007, 05:58 PM
Vile liquid.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Zbird
10/7/2007, 06:02 PM
GHP, Single Malt or blend? Try some 12 year old single malt Glenlevet.

Good Stuff.

Or....the 18 year old Glenlivet...... Undeniably better!

PrideTrombone
10/7/2007, 06:18 PM
Or....the 18 year old Glenlivet...... Undeniably better!

The 18 year old Balvenie is even better, IMO.

Cam
10/7/2007, 06:19 PM
I've tried drinking scotch a couple of times. Each time I felt like I was drinking out of an ash tray. Blech.

r5TPsooner
10/7/2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.wagnerur.hu/itallap/pia10/dalwhinnie.jpg

On the rocks or neat. makes no difference to me. Try some Oban 14 year old. Pretty smooth stuff at a decent price point.

GottaHavePride
10/7/2007, 10:09 PM
I've tried drinking scotch a couple of times. Each time I felt like I was drinking out of an ash tray. Blech.

MMMmmmmm. Peaty.

StuIsTheMan
10/7/2007, 10:12 PM
On the rocks or neat. makes no difference to me. Try some Oban 14 year old. Pretty smooth stuff at a decent price point.

everyone knows it's not what it tastes like...it's how much ya paid for it that counts...cheap arse;) :D

josh09
10/8/2007, 12:34 AM
About an hour ago there was a Modern Marvels episode about distilleries on. since then I've been drinking scotch. Hooray!

I should buy an actual scotch glass, but they're all made in England and cost $40 to ship. Screw that.

http://www.big13.net/Achorman%20photos/Burgandy.jpeg

He loves scotch too :D

Hamhock
10/8/2007, 05:49 AM
i haven't read the entire thread. if Oban isn't mentioned already, it should be.

OklaUalum
10/8/2007, 08:57 AM
Don't go for blends. Once you find a single malt scotch that fits your tastes, it's almost like finding mana from heaven.

Here's a good start for beginners.

http://www.queenannewine.com/classicmalts.html

For this scotch drinker's taste; the Dalwhinnie and the Lagavulin are awesome. Some people drink it neat, other's w/.water or whatever. I just put a bit in a glass, plop in one ice cube. Take a walk around the block and come back. By then, it's PERFECT!

r5TPsooner
10/8/2007, 09:25 AM
i haven't read the entire thread. if Oban isn't mentioned already, it should be.

Look a few posts above your own.

IB4OU2
10/8/2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.theglenlivet.com/images/lda_bottles.jpgYWIA...