PDA

View Full Version : OU's high preseason rankings

CrimsonChampion
5/31/2006, 04:32 PM
I know this is old stuff but it's the offseason so here we go. Athlons has us at #1, and some others have us in the top 5, which is great, I guess. Texas won the national championship and Athlons has them at 7, give them a little respect, they won it all! I hate texas, but they won it all and they should be 1 or 2. I feel we should be in the top 10, but not #1. We will goto a BCS and possibly a national championship, but we don't need this early praise going to our heads. We started at around 18 in 2000 and worked our way up to the top and won it all.

We do so much better when we have obsticles to overcome, and putting us in the top 5 will give alot of us a false sense of security. I do feel that we should definatly be a top 10 team, and should've finished in the top ten last season. We beat tech, I just don't care what anyone says about that one, we won that game 4 times in that last 2 minutes.

I had some other stuff on this topic on my mind but i'm struggling to get it all down right now because of my anticipation of the season so please forgive me if this is a bad post.

I love all of you great Sooners and Sooner fans so maybe you can help me out on this one with your opinions.

50,55,56,74,75,85,2000... 2006??

Got 8?

swardboy
5/31/2006, 08:25 PM
Personally, I miss the swagger. Barry's boys expected to be top-ranked and walked the walk of the top dog. Bring back the swagger......

Soonermagik
5/31/2006, 08:48 PM
I know this is old stuff but it's the offseason so here we go. Athlons has us at #1, and some others have us in the top 5, which is great, I guess. Texas won the national championship and Athlons has them at 7, give them a little respect, they won it all! I hate texas, but they won it all and they should be 1 or 2. I feel we should be in the top 10, but not #1. We will goto a BCS and possibly a national championship, but we don't need this early praise going to our heads. We started at around 18 in 2000 and worked our way up to the top and won it all.

We do so much better when we have obsticles to overcome, and putting us in the top 5 will give alot of us a false sense of security. I do feel that we should definatly be a top 10 team, and should've finished in the top ten last season. We beat tech, I just don't care what anyone says about that one, we won that game 4 times in that last 2 minutes.

I had some other stuff on this topic on my mind but i'm struggling to get it all down right now because of my anticipation of the season so please forgive me if this is a bad post.

I love all of you great Sooners and Sooner fans so maybe you can help me out on this one with your opinions.

Got 8?

Why wouldn't we be #1?? We probably have the deepest and most talented defense in college football. Our offense is pretty solid with AD, Bomar, Kelly, Iglesias and a ton of other great receivers!!! Plus, who on our schedule do you see us losing to?? I'll be really surprised if we don't have the NC in Norman by the begining of next year.

101sooner
5/31/2006, 08:55 PM
No matter what our record was last year, OU should be in the top five based on OU's record over the last 50 years. Tit's Blake is gone, so stfu 'Huskers.

goingoneight
5/31/2006, 09:13 PM
No matter what our record was last year, OU should be in the top five based on OU's record over the last 50 years. Tit's Blake is gone, so stfu 'Huskers.

Is it just me or did the last Husker to make fun of OU was probably back in 2001? I get that this used to be a rivalry, but aside from Cutthroat Calahan, most Huskers have been nice to us in recent years. No offense byt the way, just asking...

Egeo
6/1/2006, 12:53 AM
i wouldnt say we have the deepest and most talented defense
but we have one of the top 20 defenses (ish) and an offense that should easily break the top 40 this year (after such a subpar year last year)

theres no one on the schedule that has me shaking but nor do i think that we couldnt lose to oregon, texas, texam or the pokes

Rock Hard Corn Frog
6/1/2006, 09:30 AM

Got 8?

I know a lot of conventional wisdom is that a defending champ is #1 until they lose but you also have to keep in mind that a lot of the preseason mags are not printing who "should" be #1 but more a prediction of how things will shake out. Hook 'em will still be a very good team but picking them #1 after losing VY is like picking the Lakers to win the NBA title the year after Shaq left LA. I think given that OU and the Buckeyes likely beat Hook 'em that #7 at the end of the season is probably about right.

I don't know that I would objectively have us at #1 at the start of the year (probably #3 or #4) but the pieces and potential is pretty much there. There is no clear favorite going into this year. The condoms have some rebuilding and a bunch of off field distractions, the domers have defense issues, etc.

As for me I'd just as much prefer we start the year #1 as much as anyone else. Why not?

soonerhubs
6/1/2006, 10:31 AM
Put us in the top twenty and let us prove our ground. It worked in 2000 and it can work this year as well.

CrimsonChampion
6/1/2006, 10:46 AM
I agree with you guys, but I think we need to win a few more games before we have that championship swagger. My friend Cliff Takawana told me during the 2001 season we were fighting within, and the locker room was a damn warground. That doesn't have anything to do with swagger probably, but we were going into games KNOWING we would not lose, I feel that's what happened to us against okie state in '01 and '02, and ultimatly what happened to us at the end of our great 2003 season. I remember Bobby Bowden's son was talking about us coming out of the tunnel in 2000 at the orange bowl, and we just passed up Denzel and the commentators without giving them a single look. Bowden said we had a glassy eyed look of determination being led out by General Stoops, which prompted Mr. Bowden to say, "My father isn't going to win today".

We're humble, but we do have a swagger, because we know what we can do, it's just a matter of doing it. Plus we are OU, and you're not a $ooner if you don't have that swagger.

MiccoMacey
6/1/2006, 10:55 AM
My friend Cliff Takawana told me during the 2001 season...

Name dropper. ;)

CrimsonChampion
6/1/2006, 11:00 AM
He doesn't care

MojoRisen
6/3/2006, 10:47 AM
Put us in the top twenty and let us prove our ground. It worked in 2000 and it can work this year as well.

Need to be Top Ten- We don't have KState, Nebraska and Texas as top 5victories to climb the BCS latter do we? Top Ten and we can be one or two at year end.

CrimsonChampion
6/3/2006, 02:12 PM
If we go undefeated and win the Big 12, we will play for the national championship....simple as that

Texas Golfer
6/3/2006, 02:12 PM
Texas won the national championship and Athlons has them at 7, give them a little respect, they won it all! I hate texas, but they won it all and they should be 1 or 2.

Got 8?

Texas is not the same team without Vince Young.

And I got 8 last night.

CrimsonChampion
6/3/2006, 02:16 PM
I know this man!! Point is, they're the champions, still have alot of defense returning, and did I mention they're the champions? I hate them, they will not win it again for a long long time, but until Ohio state and or we beat them, they should be 1 or 2.

Texas Golfer
6/3/2006, 09:12 PM
I know this man!! Point is, they're the champions, still have alot of defense returning, and did I mention they're the champions? I hate them, they will not win it again for a long long time, but until Ohio state and or we beat them, they should be 1 or 2.

The preseason poll isn't just based on last year's results but personnel gains and losses from last year.

CrimsonChampion
6/5/2006, 12:25 PM
We still have something to prove before we get thrown in there at #1 or 2.

I know about the losses of seniors and how that effects the preseason rankings, but imo, a national champion should be treated like one until they're knocked off. Texas will be knocked off real soon whether it be OSU or OU, and we'll be on up there in the top 3 soon enough.

CatfishSooner
6/5/2006, 02:12 PM
please no swagger talk...

Soonerwolf
6/5/2006, 05:18 PM
It would be great for this year's team would surprise the nation just like the 2000 NC team. This way we could watch ESPN and Lee Corso swallow more and more crow as the season progresses . . .