PDA

View Full Version : the annual "how much are we overrated" thread

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/31/2006, 02:19 PM
looks like the preseason rags generally have us around 4. methinks that is about 9 places too high.

melbitoast
5/31/2006, 02:43 PM
The problem this year is that there are so many teams (probably 6-7) that have a legitimate shot at the NC because there are no clear cut teams. Everyone has ? marks...tOSU defense, ND defense, OU line, USC unproven QBs & RBs, UT unproven QBs, LSU new LBs, UF lack of running, etc. We could very well end up with 3-4 1-loss teams vying for the NC spots.
Therefore, it's hard (for me) to say we're too overrated or underrated.

Crimson Kid
5/31/2006, 03:37 PM
Imo, i think we should be ranked about 7th to 10th.

BASSooner
5/31/2006, 04:10 PM
nobody is #1 at this point. too many ?s on the elite teams. I see us being ranked 6-12

Snrfn4ever08
5/31/2006, 04:12 PM
i was surprised by how high people were ranking this years team, but really now that i think of it, there isn't really any one team more worthy of the top spot than us. i think any other team has just as many question marks as us. it might as well be a coin flip to who will be the best team in the country this year. osu has no defense left, texas lost their one-man offense, people are ranking usc so high just because they're usc, and then there are still teams like florida that are annual underachievers. this is why preseason polls are such a stupid idea

NormanPride
5/31/2006, 04:39 PM
We ended really well, we have a big name player returning, and we didn't lose too many people (that the media knows about). That = high rating, especially when other teams are visibly losing people. I would put WVU at #1 right now, with the way they played. They also don't lose many, to my knowledge...

OUstudent4life
5/31/2006, 05:09 PM
We should be 10-ish...same major problem as last year (O-line), so there's NO reason we should be that high.

It bugs.

bringit
5/31/2006, 06:18 PM
10 to 15 with two or three losses. Our D has not been right since Mike left.

The Consumate Showman
5/31/2006, 06:28 PM
WE SHOULD BE UNRANKED!!!

along with the rest of the country. IMO, we should not have top 25 rankings until everyone has played at least 3 games or so. I mean, who's to sat that some of these "pre-season" top 10's might lose thier first game of the year like we did last year?

pre-season rankings are a joke. Like BASS said, too many ?'s on too many teams right now and Spring games are not a fair way to assess any teams potential for an upcoming year; they are simply a good way for respective universities to pull in a couple hundered thousand dollars off of their desperate-for-football fans.....

The Consumate Showman
5/31/2006, 06:31 PM
10 to 15 with two or three losses. Our D has not been right since Mike left.

Hmmmm. Another OU-perfectionist fan. Yes, Mike was good, but Brent is doing a damn fine job himself. OUr D will be fine this year, possibly the best we've had under Stoops.....

The Consumate Showman
5/31/2006, 06:34 PM
We ended really well, we have a big name player returning, and we didn't lose too many people (that the media knows about). That = high rating, especially when other teams are visibly losing people. I would put WVU at #1 right now, with the way they played. They also don't lose many, to my knowledge...

Rodriguez a #1 team coach?? A stretch if you ask me. UGAly, IMO, did not respect WV last year in the sug bowl....

They've got talent and an E A S Y conference to play in, but a NC team???? I don't think so. Unless they have a monster non-conf schedule with some BIG name teams.....

1991SOONER
5/31/2006, 07:51 PM
If we were to rank on D along top 5 would be believable. But the offense (except for AD cause he is awesome:D ) has too many question marks. We can't rely on AD and Bomar to carry the entire offense. It aint happenin.

I'm like others, I'd like to see us start out at 6 or 7. If we win out, chances are we'll be in the top 2 anyway...

goingoneight
5/31/2006, 09:09 PM
Hmmmm. Another OU-perfectionist fan. Yes, Mike was good, but Brent is doing a damn fine job himself. OUr D will be fine this year, possibly the best we've had under Stoops.....

They just brought up a good point is all. BV and Bobby J. have seen their fair share of flat-out DUMB defensive play. Don't believe it? Find videos of OU's 2004 season, and watch the 2005 season at www.soonerscooter.com and try and tell me that THAT mess will end up as Stoops's best defense yet.

We will have some good ones returning, but the depth chart and the recruiting stars don't necessarily mean we'll be able to tackle or pick off passes better. Those are really my only pet-peeves about OUr 2004 and 2005 team. Has anyone taken off their crimson shades for just a second and watched the Holiday Bowl? A "decent at best" quarterback broke tackle attempts from OUr entire linebacker crew in just one play. This is the defense that supposedly beat Vince Young! I will rely on AD and Bomar to make big plays before I hold my breath about OUr Defense being a super-power. To me, it seems like too many obvious problems that not just one player makes. Freakin' Chijoke let a pass hit him in the back last year! We only won the Holiday Bowl because Clint Ingram missed a call to blitz and just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Hopefully Stoops pushes the other aside and takes OUr young guys to school this fall and we don't have another lame duck defensive performance in a key game like in 2003-2005.

TJKDone
5/31/2006, 09:15 PM

Better than Roy and the gang? You serious? You could be really stout...maybe the best in the nation and not be the best unit under Stoops.

While some may be perfectionists, some are...

Hook'em

sanantoniosooner
5/31/2006, 09:18 PM
You're not allowed to share an opinion if you don't have crimson goggles on. :D

Jason White's Third Knee
5/31/2006, 09:36 PM
Agreed. Only Crimson Gogglists should post.

OU lost 3 total crap games. It happens, but UCLA(6 fumbles 3 lost), TCU (4 turn overs + hurt AD), and TT(TT is the devil) were bunk. How many turn overs are we going to have compared to last year's ugly ball protection? Hell, we were still pretty good and we had a musical chairs O line and a Frosh QB.

Why is it Frosh anyway? Ans why is it AD and not AP?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/31/2006, 10:07 PM
Why is it Frosh anyway? Ans why is it AD and not AP?
spek even though you forgot the ringtone

Egeo
6/1/2006, 12:42 AM
We should be 10-ish...same major problem as last year (O-line), so there's NO reason we should be that high.

It bugs.
if you believe that 06's dline is as good as 05's dline
than by comparison of said spring games, the 06 oline will be much better than the 05 oline at the start of the season
plus our qb will be much better (already is) and the wr's as a group will be better and most importantly, healthier

i definitely think, if healthy, we have teh potential for a big 12 championship and more
we'll just have to see how it goes

soonerfeverforever was correct - preseason polls suck

sooneron
6/1/2006, 05:04 PM
I think we should be around 11-13. It is a weird year with so many weaknesses or question marks on other teams. I think a lot of people are looking at our schedule and seeing 3 tough road games - UO, Atm, texas (even though it's not technically a road game). They figure the first two are pretty winable with the UTerus game being a toss up.
My heart says that we can do it this year and make it through either unscathed and in Tempe or with one loss, my head says 2-3 losses which would still put us around 10th with a bowl victory at the final poll.

Soonerman08
6/1/2006, 06:10 PM
They just brought up a good point is all. BV and Bobby J. have seen their fair share of flat-out DUMB defensive play. Don't believe it? Find videos of OU's 2004 season, and watch the 2005 season at www.soonerscooter.com and try and tell me that THAT mess will end up as Stoops's best defense yet.

We will have some good ones returning, but the depth chart and the recruiting stars don't necessarily mean we'll be able to tackle or pick off passes better. Those are really my only pet-peeves about OUr 2004 and 2005 team. Has anyone taken off their crimson shades for just a second and watched the Holiday Bowl? A "decent at best" quarterback broke tackle attempts from OUr entire linebacker crew in just one play. This is the defense that supposedly beat Vince Young! I will rely on AD and Bomar to make big plays before I hold my breath about OUr Defense being a super-power. To me, it seems like too many obvious problems that not just one player makes. Freakin' Chijoke let a pass hit him in the back last year! We only won the Holiday Bowl because Clint Ingram missed a call to blitz and just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Hopefully Stoops pushes the other aside and takes OUr young guys to school this fall and we don't have another lame duck defensive performance in a key game like in 2003-2005.

I seem to recall we held a high scoring Oregon offense to just 14 points, heck 7 of those shouldn't have even been on the board. The refs gave the Ducks a nice present with that BS pass interference call. You're a retard. Considering how many freshman our defense had in the secondary and a converted running back to a corner I'll say our secondary has played it's best in forever towards the end of the year.

sanantoniosooner
6/1/2006, 06:14 PM
noob on noob violence.

It hurts us all.